Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

SER19

Maybe too long a deal but im still pro it. People forget a squad is needed. Jones isn't going to be number 1 or 2 but is a very competent sub, one of the best replacement centre halves in the league. Given his smalling and Bailly injury record we need 5 anyway

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Mediocrity being rewarded, another reason why we don't compete for the big trophies anymore, also points to another frugal summer ahead in the transfer window.
How so?

We're likely getting rid of Rojo, possibly Bailly too, that leaves 3 CB's. Plenty of room for a 4th.

Also people seem to be forgetting that Woodward was willing to shed out something like £100m on Varane last summer if Real played ball.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nevee thought facial expressions alone can land you a long term contract at united

R'hllor

Dont give rats ass for this good enough or not debate, how many freaking days/games he missed due injuries, this place laughing about whole Jones thing for last couple of years and now suddenly it makes sense!?

If its pay toi play or whatever that shit is called, or there is some clause where we addressed issues we had with him for the last years, then fine. Also on what wages, personally dont care about amount, more like worried about effect on future contracts renewal. Sanchez case not making things easier but imagine someone getting payed high wages while being on the treatment table for 80% of the time.

Kostur

海尔的老板
How so?

We're likely getting rid of Rojo, possibly Bailly too, that leaves 3 CB's. Plenty of room for a 4th.

Also people seem to be forgetting that Woodward was willing to shed out something like £100m on Varane last summer if Real played ball.
Bet he was willing to dish out 300 mln quid for Messi too.

AaronRedDevil

If rather give young the 4 year then Jones. The man left Harry frickin Kane wide open 4 times ! He's an idiot.

devilish

Maybe too long a deal but im still pro it. People forget a squad is needed. Jones isn't going to be number 1 or 2 but is a very competent sub, one of the best replacement centre halves in the league. Given his smalling and Bailly injury record we need 5 anyway

He really isn't

Zoo

Meh it’s obvious that Rojo is the one who’ll be moved on this summer.

I have belief in Tuanzebe but want to see him get some PL experience which would mean another loan So there’s room for us to bring in another CB this summer.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No he isn't though, a player who's injured half of his career at a club cannot be called a 'solid squad option' even if he's just a 'squad option'. Those two cannot go together. He's fecking injury prone beyond belief, nevermind his constant 'Jones moments'.
Pretty much this. A solid squad option should be someone who is there to be called on week in week out. Blind, Darmian, Fellaini etc are/were solid squad options who were nearly always fit and did a job wherever. You just can't say that about Jones.

I really thought his contract would be allowed to run down and for him to get on with his career elsewhere. I don't dislike him, but he is frustrating. Capable of being rather good on occasions, but then either gets injured or does something totally mental, sometimes at the same time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a much better argument than saying because he's an EPL winner. From the club's pov, it's obviously sensible. But over the last years, he's even struggled to be a reliable squad option.
Yes that is indeed a better argument. The problem lies having too many squad options.

Jones
Smalling
Bailly
Young
Dalot
Rojo
Lindelof

There's not one top class defender among those unless we see drastic upturn in fortunes for one of them before the end of the season. That's the issue. Too many options. We need either one or two to elevate their game or their replacement.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is here for about 8 or 9 years now. Can his fans name at least one season where he was consinstently good throughout the season?

Massive Spanner

Yes that is indeed a better argument. The problem lies having too many squad options.

Jones
Smalling
Bailly
Young
Dalot
Rojo
Lindelof

There's not one top class defender among those unless we see drastic upturn in fortunes for one of them before the end of the season. That's the issue. Too many options. We need either one or two to elevate their game or their replacement.
You don't think we've seen enough from Lindelof this season for him to be a top defender? I certainly have.

amolbhatia50k

If rather give young the 4 year then Jones. The man left Harry frickin Kane wide open 4 times ! He's an idiot.
Thing with Jones is inuries used to be his problem. Nowadays even when he's fit he looks a bit of a mess.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Phil Jones is 26...how? I was sure he was nearing 30.

Sylar

Fellaini signed a contract last year and was sold this january.

Maybe?

amolbhatia50k

You don't think we've seen enough from Lindelof this season for him to be a top defender? I certainly have.
Top defender ? Nope. He's certainly started looking solid. But there's a difference between solid/dependable and brilliant. Hope he turns out to be the latter bit right now he's gone from average to good.

Milo2035

This is the first step in keeping De Gea 'cause we all know Jones improves De Gea's ability drastically.

And Jones could stay at United longer than Rio and Vidic ! Wowww

Last edited by a moderator:

R'hllor

Actually cant believe what i am reading in this thread, is drone mode a default for some or what.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I worry that he is seen as a starter. If not it's not terrible but really he shouldn't be a United player past the summer.

Skills

Snitch
Should really have been a 2+3 year contract with his fitness record.

Delano

5 years is madness really. Say what you want about his injuries and his brain farts but no club in there right mind would try and buy him with the fees he'd command at that contract length. Well, maybe West Ham... It also means that any new coach is pretty much stuck with Smalling and Jones.

devilish

How so?

Bailly is a far better option then jones. Ffs hes all over the place

Eddy_JukeZ

He is here for about 8 or 9 years now. Can his fans name at least one season where he was consinstently good throughout the season?
He's had good facial expressions in every season.

Seriously though, he's not had a good season throughout at all. Even in his debut season(which was his best probably), he faded badly after starting off so well.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
How long did he have on his contract? Hopefully we're just making sure we get a decent fee for him. That's the only positive spin I could put on this.

Massive Spanner

Top defender ? Nope. He's certainly started looking solid. But there's a difference between solid/dependable and brilliant. Hope he turns out to be the latter bit right now he's gone from average to good.
I think "good" is a bit harsh, he's been somewhere in the middle of good/really good for me. Still, he has shown a pretty remarkable improvement since his first season here, I do think he has the traits to be a very good, if not top class, CB. It would also help if he had a better partner than Jones or Bailly. Hell, even Smalling alongside him.