Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just fecking why? Smalling I got, but why keep Jones around? He should have never played for the club again after the cup final and yet now we've got another 5 years of him? Just piss off

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Very good news. If Brexit hits, quotas could become tighter in the PL for homegrown players, and we already need a good number of English-raised players for Europe.

Aside from that, he’s another player who is overly criticised and underrated due to being gifable and having the capcity for the odd gaff. I’d be surprised if we don’t concede fewer goals and keep more clean sheets with him in tthe sode than any other CB post-Ferguson.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is here for about 8 or 9 years now. Can his fans name at least one season where he was consinstently good throughout the season?
Between 2011 and 2013, he was pretty good even in midfield. The main issue with him is durability.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So is Bailly. Jones has put in more good performances for us than Bailly has.
In the past 2 years jones was all over the place. He is a far worse option to bailly, the latter being younger and a better cb

stu_1992

Bit strange, I genuinely thought he was on his way out. We still need an upgrade in that department. If this is to be a squad option it makes sense, however he has not always been the most reliable even as a squad option because of the injuries he's had.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Bailly has been fecking shite. Not sure how people possibly think he's a better option.
None of them are Rio but Jones plays like a pup running after a frisbee. Bailly is better and younger

the chameleon

Maybe Woodward doesn’t want him gone for for free. Risky move either way, who will pay those OTT wages. Very disappointed with what Woodie is trying to do.

Affirmation

I genuinely cannot find anything funny about this and can't understand how others do. Quite frankly this club is taking the absolute piss out of us fans with decisions like this, I'm so disappointed but also raging as well. If the official comments are anything to go by it doesn't seem like they plan on selling him either. Pathetic.

Last edited:

CG1010

He was really, really young when we had him.
And one thing that has gone against him, coupled with that ridiculous statement by SAF. Until now we have seen a injury-prone and unreliable defender, who occasionally has very good performances. He seems to be doing better with injuries in the last two seasons, but the improvement in his performances has stalled or even gone down. He does still have time on his hand to turn around and bloom into a very good CB on the back of his experience, although it has seemed less and less likely. But I suppose its smart by the club to retain him - he might become a very good CB, and even if not he could be a good backup CB.

settembrini

He's a poor defender with a terrible injury record and has done nothing to deserve a new contract.

Has to go down as the first obviously stupid move the club has made since Mourinho left.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think "good" is a bit harsh, he's been somewhere in the middle of good/really good for me. Still, he has shown a pretty remarkable improvement since his first season here, I do think he has the traits to be a very good, if not top class, CB. It would also help if he had a better partner than Jones or Bailly. Hell, even Smalling alongside him.
Merely "good" probably is a little harsh. But I don't believe he's been any better than, for example, Bailly during that half season where everybody was convinced that he was a great CB in the making. Or Smalling under LVG who was the best post SAF CB season/level we've seen IMO. So I'm going for a variation of good, but it's a small sample size, and still feel he's not impossible/dominant enough.

Trizy

Cool the jets United fans! :lol:

Jones contract was out in the summer, by him signing 4+1 we now can sell him for prime value (what ever what may be. £30-35m in today's market?) as opposed to letting him leave for free.

NJM78

Its hard to complain heavily about this when you have the terrible news of Sala today but seriously what the actual f**k!?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Jones contract was out in the summer, by him signing 4+1 we now can sell him for prime value (what ever what may be. £30-35m in today's market?) as opposed to letting him leave for free.
That is if he agrees to leave. We could be stuck with him for a long time

Marcus

Great news. Ole can improve him and make him better. He will be the bionic man.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you think the meltdown is bad on here you should check out the comments beneath the announcement on Twitter! :lol:

I’ve always maintained there’s a quality CB in there somewhere and he’s young(ish) so might as well go all in and back this decision by the club.
He's been with us almost 8 years and there's not much he shown himself to really be good at other than lunging last ditch challenges which are generally only required because he'd fecked up in the first place.

I've never seen 'it' with him, and his injury record makes it all the more baffling how he's managed to have such a long career with us.

If this contract is in the hope of securing a transfer fee then fair enough, but I'm afraid it's going to mean him getting a testimonial which is just bonkers.

OldPop

I think this is just another case of the club protecting the value of its assets.

Like with Fellaini last summer, we could have let him go for free but tied him down to a contract, which a lot of people weren't happy about. 6 months later, we've sold him for £10m, take a bit away from that for his wages and we still have an extra £7-8m to use for transfers which we could have lost.

Hopefully we move Jones on in the summer (Rojo too) and have a bit more £££ to play with
I think you are right, and share your hopes for what happens after the season, if we get a new CB. Otherwise, we must keep him for another year.

NJM78

Who would buy Phil Jones with his relatively high wages, injury record, own goal record and face?

onemanarmy

Happy. If we sell him we'll get a decent fee, and he's better than Rojo who should leave first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is Bailly better?
At the moment there probably isn't much in it. But Jones has been average for so long now people have pretty much lost hope. Bailly has had less time with us and a smaller sample size of mediocriy. He did have that excellent run two seasons ago which everyone has been longing to see since.

Rafaeldagold

If we want to progress we can’t have players like Jones near the first team. Puzzling as other big teams would be shipping him out ASAP

BigBebe

I am pleased that they have renewed his contract. At worst, it protects the club's asset value but at best, we retain a good defender who brings a lot of experience to the club.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That is if he agrees to leave. We could be stuck with him for a long time
That also is if anybody is moronic enough to be willing to pay the relatively high transfer fee (for a broken car) and his wages. I genuinely cannot tell whether people are either that blind to what is happening or they are just deluding themselves to feel a bit better. It's absolutely mad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Who is paying that?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is him being here despite all his faults and injures for so long enough or do I need to cite lack of any transfer gossip stories linking him to anybody whereas your Smallings or Baillys have been linked to other clubs for years now?

I mean other than that is my guess work but it could also be his amazing quality that he brings to the squad that we're shutting any possible transfers as soon as the idea pops up from 'rival' clubs.
No it isn't. Conversely, I'll ask if his signing a 5 year deal not evidence enough of Jones not being up for sale? Only one of those two narratives have any actual, measurable substance, and it ain't yours.

He's a decent back up centre back. On the proviso we bring in another CB to start alongside Lindelof, that's nothing wrong with offering him a contact, protecting our assets, and having an experienced, decent CB as a back up option.