Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

PaulRich

I'd sooner have him as a squad option than some of the arseholes we have come to rely on over the past seasons

Foxbatt

Just seen footage of Phil Jones leaving the pitch clearly emotional tapping the badge. This guy clearly loves utd and as long as there is still passion in the dressing room there is a hope of turning this situation around. Fecking love Jones

Going to guess he carried this inside with him which may have lead to Shaws admirable defence of him
Emotionally tapping the badge alone? He was in tears. RR should try him in midfield if he is fit as has played there for SAF and surely could be better than this current lot.

Yakuza_devils

It's clear as day that he is a player from SAF time, all the right attributes even after long injury.

110% commitment, work hard, run & press, and most importantly the fighting spirit, confidence and quality shown on the pitch.

caid

He's a good player, still. Think he'd be a great signing for a team that sits deep and can rotate him out to protect him. Not convinced he could sprint without injuring himself (feel a bit of a prick saying it but think its true), so not sure united have the right spot for him. Think Aston Villa or West Ham would get great service from him though.

LARulz

It's clear as day that he is a player from SAF time, all the right attributes even after long injury.

110% commitment, work hard, run & press, and most importantly the fighting spirit, confidence and quality shown on the pitch.
As simple as it may seem, he actually drives forward. He looks ahead to pass the ball first if he can and there were several times against Wolves where he made a tackle half way up their half to help keep the ball

Everyone after our attackers/Bruno, maybe with the exception of Mctominay and Shaw from time to time, look for the most simple pass they can to get the ball away from them

Plassryss

Our only in form player with a attitude! Make Phil captain ffs. He shows how to show up for your pay! # a pinch of salt
Glad for his comeback, the club is a sinking ship

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Keep on a pay as you play deal. Or maybe one year rolling deals.
The Jones that played against Wolves was good. I like that Jones

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Must look to shift ASAP.
He's had bad luck but we need a player who can put in 20-25 games a season as back up.

If we dished another contract out you really would wonder what maniacs are running things if we didn't long wonder that already.

Thiagoal

Yeah. I was thinking exactly the same thing! I got quite nostalgic seeing him the other night and thinking about the days where you knew every player would give their all on the pitch

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Offer him a contract which has a basic salary and then reasonable appearance fees added on… either as a starter, sub or just part of the match day squad.

Kag

Obviously we shift him as soon as practically possible.

However, it’s often forgotten that Jones has usually played pretty well for the club when in the groove. It’s at this point his body has either broken down, or he has done something stupid resulting in a meme being plastered all over the internet. His career is quite a sad story, in truth.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Dont think anyone is willing to lay down a fee. Could be a decent squad player until his contract runs out, but let's wait and see on that one. It's only been one game. There's a club option for another year. If he's available often enough it could be worth.

Beyond that only one year deals or let him walk on a free.

It still amazes me people can get so worked up about an injured player being paid a salary.

Gatecrasher27

Let's see how the next 10 games go, have him included In some of those games and take it from there. He's always been a decent if unspectacular player but that fight and passion has been lacking this season

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I'd sooner have him as a squad option than some of the arseholes we have come to rely on over the past seasons
Keep on a pay as you play deal. Or maybe one year rolling deals.
The Jones that played against Wolves was good. I like that Jones
Offer him a contract which has a basic salary and then reasonable appearance fees added on… either as a starter, sub or just part of the match day squad.
Ffs people. One solid game vs weaker side is enough to start this talk all over again?
No, he will not stay fit. If 10 seasons he is not fit, surely he will not stay fit now after all injuries that he had.
And no, he is not decent squad option. Think again about his performances before injury.

RUCK4444

Ffs people. One solid game vs weaker side is enough to start this talk all over again?
No, he will not stay fit. If 10 seasons he is not fit, surely he will not stay fit now after all injuries that he had.
And no, he is not decent squad option. Think again about his performances before injury.
Mental isn’t it. Even though he was decent the other night.

Hopefully for his sake he can get a couple of games, be in the shop window and get a move to another PL side. That would be best all round and nobody could say we haven’t done our best by him.

Lastwolf

His contract expires in 18 months, keep him and if we get ~50 games out of him, make him a reduced again contract, if he rejects that or doesn't get close to that amount games, then release.

If anyone bids >10m at any point, unless he suddenly becomes half iron-man, half Duncan Edwards that can fire lazer beams from his eyes, SELL.

For all the talk of United being run like a business, we aren't. A 31 year old CB that can't be available 60% (available, not picking him is fine, solely being an option) of your games is hugely detrimental nevermind having value.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Mental isn’t it. Even though he was decent the other night.

Hopefully for his sake he can get a couple of games, be in the shop window and get a move to another PL side. That would be best all round and nobody could say we haven’t done our best by him.
Classic case of "More you don't play, you are better and better".
Jones is a defender:
Who can't pass
Whos positioning is awful (that is why most of his reactions are tackles in last moment which looks like some great reaction but it is not in reality)
He is nervous and tends to panic which again makes other players nervous

He is good vs weak teams but against better teams all his flaws show up

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Dont think anyone is willing to lay down a fee. Could be a decent squad player until his contract runs out, but let's wait and see on that one. It's only been one game. There's a club option for another year. If he's available often enough it could be worth.

Beyond that only one year deals or let him walk on a free.

It still amazes me people can get so worked up about an injured player being paid a salary.
Doesn't it get paid by insurance anyway?

crossy1686

career ending
I'd have no problem with Jones being on a pay as you play contract, maybe even stick around and do some youth coaching, he's genuinely one of the only one's left who cares and I'd hate to see him go off to somewhere like Newcastle or Norwich and get slaughtered week in week out because he's ex United.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
His contract expires in 18 months, keep him and if we get ~50 games out of him, make him a reduced again contract, if he rejects that or doesn't get close to that amount games, then release.

If anyone bids >10m at any point, unless he suddenly becomes half iron-man, half Duncan Edwards that can fire lazer beams from his eyes, SELL.

For all the talk of United being run like a business, we aren't. A 31 year old CB that can't be available 60% (available, not picking him is fine, solely being an option) of your games is hugely detrimental nevermind having value.

hobbers

A new contract for Jonesy :lol: People never learn. Nobody suggesting that has any right to ever moan about how inept our board have been with contracts.

He's contracted until 2023. He doesnt need or deserve a new deal or a pay as you play deal. If he wants to stay and fight for a place this season and next he can do, the club can't stop him. And he'll get another £5m for doing so.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd have no problem with Jones being on a pay as you play contract, maybe even stick around and do some youth coaching, he's genuinely one of the only one's left who cares and I'd hate to see him go off to somewhere like Newcastle or Norwich and get slaughtered week in week out because he's ex United.
You want him to teach our boys? Good lord this place...

Everyone's the next saf.

honirelandboy

Newcastle be a great destination for him as their looking for defenders and would get regular game time. A traffic cone is better than Ciaran Clark.

Gandalf

Brendan Rodgers is openly talking about the need for a new CB to cover all of the absences at Leicester so a loan with option to buy might be in play there and of course Newcastle would be a realistic destination. If he makes a couple more appearances over the next few games to prove he really is fit then I can see him leaving in this window.

Lecland07

Needs to be moved on. He was injury prone before the two-year lay off, so it isn't going to get better after it.

How good you believe he was/is is completely irrelevant when you can't play. Being on the treatment table all the times means he could be Bebe or Ronaldinho level and it would not matter one bit.

Fluctuation0161

Let's see how the next 10 games go, have him included In some of those games and take it from there. He's always been a decent if unspectacular player but that fight and passion has been lacking this season
Yep. He is very likely to get injured.

If he performs over the next 10 games, I'd be up for a pay as you play contract with low basic wage and high appearance fee.

Oh and sell Maguire. :lol: