Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he's on a pay as you play deal, I dont mind that. We can do a lot worse than him as our 4th choice CB, and you aren't paying him if he's unavailable due to an injury

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If TM is correct his contract isn't up 'till 2023 (+ club option for one more year 'till 2024). He's 30 next month.

Gandalf

With Mengi going on loan I think he stays for the remainder of this season. We have had a lot of injuries at CB this season and with COVID still around we will almost certainly need all 5 senior CBs remaining. Phil should get a few more games and I would expect the choice will be to move on in the summer when interest should be there if his fitness is proven or stay and play out the last year of his deal on the understanding that he is 4th or 5th choice and might not get a lot of game time. I might be wrong but I think if he is fit he would choose to leave in that scenario, having missed a lot of games through injury he is not going to want to be warming the bench when he is fit.

wolvored

The thing with Jones is he has had the odd game or games where he looks good, then gets injured and out for another half a season. We cant rely on him and should look to move him on asap.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hopefully stays fit and around til the end of the season, maybe even a run in the team. Off that he gets a move at the end of the season to a decent club and can have a few more years in the top flight.

Lee565

I really hope the guy has been studying the managerial side of the game and using his time out to study for coaching badges because he could easily find himself in the unfortunate situation of being one of those players that have quite football early in life because of the impact of injuries.

If he picks up another long injury this season and we don't keep him at the end of the season, I would like to see him try and get a move to a club in europe that has a good track record of resolving players fitness issues and extending player careers like ac milan has a reputation of doing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who said he is the next SAF? We've had loads of ex players coach the kids for a bit but Jones isn't allowed? Give over
No one. It's just that few loves clutching straws.

Anyways it will be good if he is coaching young players now and then, will be a confidence booster for kids.

Also if we get chance we should offload him, he isn't reliable player, one of the important attribute for a player is availability something Jones failed. Also he missed so much football that he should join club where he can play regularly.

0le

No one. It's just that few loves clutching straws.

Anyways it will be good if he is coaching young players now and then, will be a confidence booster for kids.

Also if we get chance we should offload him, he isn't reliable player, one of the important attribute for a player is availability something Jones failed. Also he missed so much football that he should join club where he can play regularly.
It also helps prepare him for life after playing football. If anyone read Bent's story, this seems pretty important for a lot of footballers to help avoid them falling into a state of mental health issues after their careers are over:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-unravelling-of-marcus-bent.467996/

Yakuza_devils

You want to see a player who tends to panic, has no sense for positioning and has poor ball control and passing ability, on key midfield position? Makes sense
During SAF time, he was used as destroyer DM in important CL game against prime Galaticos Real Madrid and he completely shut them off.

Not saying he can do it now or he is a good DM. Just stating that he was a very good pure destroyer DM.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
During SAF time, he was used as destroyer DM in important CL game against prime Galaticos Real Madrid and he completely shut them off.

Not saying he can do it now or he is a good DM. Just stating that he was a very good pure destroyer DM.
Different times. Today dmc must know to play football. Nevertheless, it was under Saf. Any example related to SAF is not worthy.:lol: Because....he was the Goat. He did things which nobody can't repeat

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Can't help but feel the injury will worsen / persist and he'll be gone again for ages.

I'd be amazed if he was ready again with the next few weeks

Lee565

Christ, unfortunately at this rate the wolves match will end up basically being his testimonial match

Lee565

Crazy thing is that a fit jones is our second best cb, best defensive midfielder option with what we currently got and would even put him ahead of both bissaka and dalot at right back.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Crazy thing is that a fit jones is our second best cb, best defensive midfielder option with what we currently got and would even put him ahead of both bissaka and dalot at right back.
A fit Jones doesn't exist

Castia

Finally off the books if he goes. Nothing personal against him but he’s been injured for years, shouldn’t have received his last contract in all honesty.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Finally off the books if he goes. Nothing personal against him but he’s been injured for years, shouldn’t have received his last contract in all honesty.
Yeah, absolutely mental we gave him that contract.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I agree, at his best, he definitely is your second best centre back. His passing has always been underrated (from centre back, not midfield) and he’s quick. It’s 9 years now since that United / Real game where he was in midfield and I think he’d look awful (and would get injured) playing there now. If shipping him out meant you could get Kamara in, who plays both those positions, then it would be great business.

Last edited: