Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Foxbatt

When Phil Jones leaves, we should start a petition to have the club hold a testimonial for him.

It doesn't sit right that he turned one down because he thought nobody would show up. The lad has never given anything less than his all in the shirt.
I will support.

Foxbatt

Regarding England, actually you’re right. He signed his new contract feb 2019, having been in England’s World Cup squad 2018. He played the full match in the 3rd place playoffs

Injuries aside, a fit Phil Jones before his last 18 month injury, I would have chosen him over maguire and Lindelof. Obviously i know that’s a personal choice.
Wow. Never thought he played in the WC. I think he got injured with England when Smalling tackled him or kicked him during practice.
As for a fully fit Jones over Maguire and Lindelof is spot on.

dove

People have goldfish memories, as per usual. Apparently he is our 2nd best defender in the team and should play alongside Varane :lol: Guy with 160 appearances in 10 years in which probably half of them he had to be substituted because of injury. He can't even be trusted to be our 4th choice centre back simply because he is never available to play and when he does play and gets a run of games (that usually don't last long), the more he plays the more brainfart moments he produces. Maybe we should give another contract extension because well, he is our 2nd best centre back after all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lovely chap, cruel story with injury and it was great to see him fight to get back on the pitch and do decently.

However, he needs to go somewhere he can play a bit more now. He's battling to be 4th choice with Bailly here.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can remember him absolutely bossing a game at QPR away whilst in midfield. He looked a player, assured and with a lot of intelligence. Nothing flash, just getting on with what he was expected to do.

Injuries, loss of confidence obviously the main reasons for his situation over the years but social media have taken it out of context.
Led by United fans. Evidenced by the fact he cancelled his own testimonial match because he thought no one would come

“he’s stealing a wage”
“We’re stupid for not giving him away”
“Why is he still here?”
“Why did we give him a contract?”

and more. All stuff I’ve read in here

golden_blunder

Staff
Should be starting alongside Varane
Before his bad injury he would have been in the mix. Now, he’s too injury prone to be anything more than a backup. He needs a run of games away from United to prove his fitness, this loan would be good for him if they’re going to play him

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Led by United fans. Evidenced by the fact he cancelled his own testimonial match because he thought no one would come

“he’s stealing a wage”
“Why is he still here?”

You mean posts like these:

Yeah, think there might be something in the Fonte rumours so he'd have the 4'cbs complimenting each other.

Jones is gone imho, will end up at palace or somewhere like that. The new Duncan Edwards eh, Fergie you old drunk
Phil Jones leg would have fallen off if he even got a whiff of that pitch
Jones - injury prone / accident waiting to happen
Agree with this. He’s typical of a fergie signing . He’s going to get better and would benefit from playing with better players. Jones and rojo are perennial sick notes
What was Fergie smoking?

golden_blunder

Staff
You mean posts like these:
Yes im
Not saying I haven’t been guilty off it myself at times. However I’m saying the abuse is too much, it needs to stop. Which is why you’ve seen me defending him this summer. No one should have mental health issues because of us fans being knob heads.

understand? Or would you rather dig a bit more to try and win some ridiculous argument?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Yes im
Not saying I haven’t been guilty off it myself at times. However I’m saying the abuse is too much, it needs to stop. Which is why you’ve seen me defending him this summer. No one should have mental health issues because of us fans being knob heads.

understand? Or would you rather dig a bit more to try and win some ridiculous argument?
Fair enough. Over the top abuse is the one his family receved or the one he received in public, but this is forum, even star players who are great for their clubs get similar abuse to the one you mentioned. Naming people because of that when you changed your stance just after one interview from Jones after many years keeping quiet is quite weird.

He took place of many youbg players and maybe some other signing that could have improved our defence, it's natural that people would be annoyed by that.

IRN-BRUno

Good luck to him if this goes through, hopefully he can stay injury free and get a good run of games.

He'll join illustrious names such as David Bellion and Gabriel Obertan in playing for both teams.

golden_blunder

Staff
Fair enough. Over the top abuse is the one his family receved or the one he received in public, but this is forum, even star players who are great for their clubs get similar abuse to the one you mentioned. Naming people because of that when you changed your stance just after one interview from Jones after many years keeping quiet is quite weird.

He took place of many youbg players and maybe some other signing that could have improved our defence, it's natural that people would be annoyed by that.
How does a player who’s injured for 18months take someone’s spot?

this is the period I’m referring to. Since he got that injury. People saying he should have been sold or has his contract cancelled because of that injury? Even some saying why did we give him a contract? My point being he was fit and playing and only 26 so why wouldn’t he be give a new contract at that point?

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
My point being he was fit and playing and only 26 so why wouldn’t he be give a new contract at that point?
Because he had something like 25 different injuries before that big injury too:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

There's two pages there. And that shows he's missed around 125 games due to injuries just before that big injury in 8 years. And I am sure there are many in which he was available but not fit to play entire games; he always had horrible injiry record so I have no idea why are you just blaming it on his recent big injury.

Giving him 5 year contract with his injury record is absolutely stupid considering he is not that good to begin with, and how injury prone he is.

OlsensHummelBoots

“he’s stealing a wage”
“Why is he still here?”

I remember a time when United fans stuck with the players.

We always knew who was and wasn't good enough and I can think of only a few who got pelters (Alan Brazil) but I can't think of any who have endured the amount of crap Phil Jones has had thrown at him.

Bet Neil Webb is thankful there was no social media about when he was with us.

golden_blunder

Staff
Because he had something like 25 different injuries before that big injury too:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

There's two pages there. And that shows he's missed around 125 games due to injuries just before that big injury in 8 years. And I am sure there are many in which he was available but not fit to play entire games; he always had horrible injiry record so I have no idea why are you just blaming it on his recent big injury.

Giving him 5 year contract with his injury record is absolutely stupid considering he is not that good to begin with, and how injury prone he is.
He was fit and an England squad player.
you could argue a standard 3 year contract was enough but clearly we would give him some type of contract at his age. We weren’t gonna release him for free.

the reason I’m referring to his big injury is because people question why we didn’t release him or indeed why we gave him a contract. This was said AFTER his injury.
I’ve mentioned why he would have been given a contract, that’s not rocket science.

Jericholyte2

Good deal for all; Jones gets minutes in his legs and a chance to show he’s still a good defender, we get to put him in the shop window.

Redlyn

Very Happy to Loan him. Was quite against Bailly loan because he has proven he can do a job for us. Jones needs to go play regularly somewhere and show that he (still) has what it takes.

They are only paying 1/4 of his wages.

Trequarista10

Hope we secure a loan for him on deadline day. Frustrating this move fell through, but its fair enough if they couldn't guarantee him game time. That's all he needs at the moment. The level at which those games come is almost irrelevant, he just needs to be somewhere he can play until the end of the season, to prove his recovery from his long term injury.

Chairman Steve

He’s always going to be here isn’t he? :lol:

Not sure if I’m being harsh here but it’s a bit rich to ask for guaranteed playing time with an injury record like his.

flappyjay

Deal has collapsed.
So he would rather seat on his arse than go find out if he is good enough for bottom of the half Bordeaux? Maybe bring some interest from other teams. Some of these guys are really bad at managing their careers, happy with the Manchester United comfort. Didn't he see what has happened to the likes of Wilshire and Sturridge or his decided that this is his last contract.

dove

Hope we secure a loan for him on deadline day. Frustrating this move fell through, but its fair enough if they couldn't guarantee him game time. That's all he needs at the moment. The level at which those games come is almost irrelevant, he just needs to be somewhere he can play until the end of the season, to prove his recovery from his long term injury.
If Jones is not confident he can win a place in the team sitting 17th in Ligue 1 and would rather sit here playing basically 0 matches, it sums him up as a footballer perfectly.

Laurencio

It could be as simple as Jones wanting to play regular football since he's fit for the first time in ages - and would rather play regularly in a lower division like the championship than be a bench warmer in France?

Castia

It could be as simple as Jones wanting to play regular football since he's fit for the first time in ages - and would rather play regularly in a lower division like the championship than be a bench warmer in France?
They’re 17th in the French league and in a relegation battle surely he would have played if fit

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
That's the difference between him and Smalling, and that is one of the reasons people used to criticise him. As soon as Ole told him he isn't a starter he found himself a new club where he would play football.

mu4c_20le

He’s always going to be here isn’t he? :lol:

Not sure if I’m being harsh here but it’s a bit rich to ask for guaranteed playing time with an injury record like his.
Its not about that, obviously if he is injured then they can't play him. It's whether he's still got it after the injuries, and he did look fine in his last appearance, so a player of his stature should be walking into that team and be one of the first names on the sheet.

Trequarista10

If Jones is not confident he can win a place in the team sitting 17th in Ligue 1 and would rather sit here playing basically 0 matches, it sums him up as a footballer perfectly.
Why would a top flight club in a foreign country in a relegation battle take a risk on a player who has been out injured for about 2 years, doesn't speak the language and has no incentive in assisting them to avoid relegation? Especially in a 4 month loan, when they have their own players to develop. There's two reasons: they even want a cheap back up option, or they desperately want to take the risk and would happily offer him the choice to be 1st choice.

It appears they wanted him as a cheap backup option. That's not what he needs, and it is obvious he would want guarantees in his situation. He doesn't need to swap somewhere he will get 0 games for somewhere he will get 3 or 4 games, it won't prove anything, he needs somewhere he can get 15 or so games. It could be Barnsley, Torquay, Dunfermline, Malmo, wherever, he should just go somewhere they would happily take a punt on him and guarantee him to be 1st choice.

I really fecking hate the black and white way people insist on seeing the world, as if the Bordeaux move falling through means Jones doesn't want to move, or that there's no other potential moves that Jones is holding out for.

90 + 5min

I rather have this guy in the club, even with his injuries than some of the pretenders we have. He has been through hell with his injuries. Still more professional than half of the team.

AshRK

Not surprising. Another player who wants easy money. Maybe we should offer him another 3 year contract.