Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

Johan07

He has NEVER stayed injury free for a whole season though, and as he gets older, the injury problems are likely to get worse, not better.
His injury problems has actually been receding the last couple of seasons. Which does not support your argument at all. But why bother with facts, right?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
His injury problems has actually been receding the last couple of seasons. Which does not support your argument at all. But why bother with facts, right?
I'm sure you are a physiotherapist that can offer your expert opinion on his injury problems receding right? Isn't it great that we have someone from the Man United medical staff on this forum :angel:

Mihai

He has NEVER stayed injury free for a whole season though, and as he gets older, the injury problems are likely to get worse, not better.
Why, after almost 8 years, do people still keep dealing with the hypothetical scenario of Jones staying fit?
Jones had the best injury record last season when he missed 13 matches and this season he is on 5.

LR7

The new contract doesn’t automatically mean he’s going to be here for the entirety of it. It only serves eliminates the risk of him leaving for free over that term. I genuinely don’t understand the hysteria. If it’s deemed he doesn’t have a role here long term he will be sold, but like it or not, he still has a place in the squad right now.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The new contract doesn’t automatically mean he’s going to be here for the entirety of it. It only serves eliminates the risk of him leaving for free over that term. I genuinely don’t understand the hysteria. If it’s deemed he doesn’t have a role here long term he will be sold, but like it or not, he still has a place in the squad right now.
I surmise that he's gonna stay here for 2 years then get sold. This contract was a way to squeeze some value out of Jones. Save some money on a new centre back and some resale value. The fans will have to watch Jones being a calamity for longer but the money men are laughing.

Johan07

I'm sure you are a physiotherapist that can offer your expert opinion on his injury problems receding right? Isn't it great that we have someone from the Man United medical staff on this forum :angel:
Nah, I can just go to transfermarkt or some similar site and quite easily see that his injury days actually have been receding the last couple of years. Quite dramatically as well. The last two seasons are not that bad at all. Could be better. Could be worse.
Aldeweireld has been injured more than Jones the last two seasons as an example.
Also: and I have made this point earlier. Jones have never had a serious injury in his career. He has actually never been injured for a longer period than two months.
And I dont need to be a physiotherapist to understand that that type of injury history should not affect him physically going forward. Aldeweireld for example suffered a complete hamstring tear and it kept him out almost for a season. And he is closing in on 30. That type of injury or a serious knee injury would be a serious caveat.
But again: facts. Lets just label Jones a clumsy crock forever.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Nah, I can just go to transfermarkt or some similar site and quite easily see that his injury days actually have been receding the last couple of years. Quite dramatically as well. The last two seasons are not that bad at all. Could be better. Could be worse.
Aldeweireld has been injured more than Jones the last two seasons as an example.
Also: and I have made this point earlier. Jones have never had a serious injury in his career. He has actually never been injured for a longer period than two months.
And I dont need to be a physiotherapist to understand that that type of injury history should not affect him physically going forward. Aldeweireld for example suffered a complete hamstring tear and it kept him out almost for a season. And he is closing in on 30. That type of injury or a serious knee injury would be a serious caveat.
As someone with a family of medics, I try to stay away from making comments on injury problems getting worse or better because it's simply ignorant. For all we know Jones could be constantly on the verge of injury and is getting lucky, or he could have turned a corner and found a path of treatment that has made things far better. Using injury history on transfermarkt to assess a change in physiology is suspect.

I could very easily reference Jones 3 hamstring injuries in 1.5 seasons as a precursor for his Hamstrings going. It's not unfounded because injuries become more common the more the area gets aggravated. But, I would not have an informed opinion because I wouldn't know the specifics of his injuries.

Mihai

I also find it funny that people seem to think Ole and Ed are not consulting with the doctors at the club when deciding on renewals.

kaiz

I love that people have talked themselves into the idea that the club gave Jones a 4 year contract with an option for a fifth to make it easier to sell him. They gave the contract to Jones because they want him here for the long term.
I think it's not to make it easy to sell Jones. It's what the club want and what he wants because we need him at the moment. And we can sell him whenever we want.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't particularly mind it, Phil Jones when fit and on form is at least a league average center back, he's just never had the continuity needed to establish and grow. However we do have a plenty of them and if Ole is in charge he won't let either Fosu Mensah or Tuanzebe go without giving them a proper chance and all signs point to us buying a senior center back as well. So it will be interesting to see if Smalling is the odd one out alongside Rojo.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I also find it funny that people seem to think Ole and Ed are not consulting with the doctors at the club when deciding on renewals.
This is simply not true. Clubs keep a hold of injury prone players all the time, they make a calculated risk. This idea that him getting a renewal means the medical staff think Jones is a pristine athlete in unfounded.

Patrick220571

Really? You want to check your facts again.

His best seasons in terms of league appearances were 2011-12 (29) and 2013/14 (26). He hasn't got to those levels in recent seasons.

Johan07

As someone with a family of medics, I try to stay away from making comments on injury problems getting worse or better because it's simply ignorant. For all we know Jones could be constantly on the verge of injury and is getting lucky, or he could have turned a corner and found a path of treatment that has made things far better. Using injury history on transfermarkt to assess a change in physiology is suspect.

I could very easily reference Jones 3 hamstring injuries in 1.5 seasons as a precursor for his Hamstrings going. It's not unfounded because injuries become more common the more the area gets aggravated. But, I would not have an informed opinion because I wouldn't know the specifics of his injuries.
No, the point about Jones last three injuries being hamstrings is a very fair point and I think I have referred to it myself earlier in this thread. But its also fair to point out that those injuries does not seem to have been serious at all either since he was not unavailable for any longer period of time. Giggs started to do yoga to combat minor muscular injuries, maybe Jones should follow suit. Even if Jones doing yoga would be quite comical I admit.
And I dont pretend to know the exact reasons behind his old injuries but I still think its quite relevant that he has not had any serious injury and that factually he is doing better the last couple of seasons. Thats my last post on this subject.

Johan07

Really? You want to check your facts again.

His best seasons in terms of league appearances were 2011-12 (29) and 2013/14 (26). He hasn't got to those levels in recent seasons.
There are other reasons for a player not playing than him being injured. Jones is a squad player nowadays. I have already presented Jones injury record over the last 5 seasons or so in this thread so I am not going to repeat it.

Jonas Hagman

Supports
Olympiakos , Moss FK, FCK
Would love the fact that Phil managed to get us some titles after all this negative stuff after he's signing, wonder what the teenage fans would say then, he was lucky, right ?

Patrick220571

There are other reasons for a player not playing than him being injured. Jones is a squad player nowadays. I have already presented Jones injury record over the last 5 seasons or so in this thread so I am not going to repeat it.
I suppose he was 1st 11 in 2011-12 then? When he was competing with Rio, Vidic and Evans. It doesn't matter if he's first 11 or squad player, his appearances over the 8 years he has been here have been high teens/low twenties. His first season here was his best in terms of appearances.

Furthermore, the information you are basing your facts on shows he is suffering from less different types of injury, but the number of days he is missing and the number of games he misses is not receding greatly at all.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I suppose he was 1st 11 in 2011-12 then? When he was competing with Rio, Vidic and Evans. It doesn't matter if he's first 11 or squad player, his appearances over the 8 years he has been here have been high teens/low twenties. His first season here was his best in terms of appearances.

Furthermore, the information you are basing your facts on shows he is suffering from less different types of injury, but the number of days he is missing and the number of games he misses is not receding greatly at all.
Since Jones filled in at DM, RB and CB there was always a spot for him in the 11. And Vidic was injured for a lot of that season.

Johan07

You tried to use Jones appearence record as evidence for how many games he has missed due to injury. I merely pointed out that it is a stupid argument to make.

Patrick220571

Since Jones filled in at DM, RB and CB there was always a spot for him in the 11. And Vidic was injured for a lot of that season.
He also missed only one spell through injury that season. Not the three separate spells that most of his other seasons show. Hence he must have been fit and available when called on. I simply cannot believe that a fully fit Jones would find it harder to get into the current first 11 than he would have in 2012.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He also missed only one spell through injury that season. Not the three separate spells that most of his other seasons show. Hence he must have been fit and available when called on. I simply cannot believe that a fully fit Jones would find it harder to get into the current first 11 than he would have in 2012.
Back then he played 3 positions right now he only plays one. Plus Ferguson rotated more than anyone back then.

Patrick220571

You tried to use Jones appearence record as evidence for how many games he has missed due to injury. I merely pointed out that it is a stupid argument to make.
And you were the one that stated his injury problems are receding, when the information shows the different types of injury are receding but not the number of days/games he is missing.

Johan07

And you were the one that stated his injury problems are receding, when the information shows the different types of injury are receding but not the number of days/games he is missing.
What are you on about?
15/16 154 days
16/17 104 days
17/18 71 days
18/19 27 days
Source: Transfermarkt
How is this not receding? The Caf sometimes....

Patrick220571

What are you on about?
15/16 154 days
16/17 104 days
17/18 71 days
18/19 27 days
What are you on about?
15/16 154 days
16/17 104 days
17/18 71 days
18/19 27 days
2010/11 70 days
2013/14 79 days

So big deal, he is still missing as many games as he was 6/8 years ago. You can spin it any way you like.

Mihai

This is simply not true. Clubs keep a hold of injury prone players all the time, they make a calculated risk. This idea that him getting a renewal means the medical staff think Jones is a pristine athlete in unfounded.
He is not a pristine athlete but neither a player who is constantly injured.

Mihai

2010/11 70 days
2013/14 79 days

So big deal, he is still missing as many games as he was 6/8 years ago. You can spin it any way you like.
7 years ago, he missed 12 games, 6 years ago - 24. Last season, he was out for 13 and this season - 5.

Cypherage

Take him as a squad player but i do not think he should be a consistent starter,but due to the lack of quality options at cb then beggers cant be choosers for the time being.

Johan07

Excellent today so far. Great work for Martials goal and almost curled in a left foot of his own.
Has not got injured yet either). Smalling has performed good as well in spite of wearing a pineapple hat.

Loublaze

ATLien
Not everyone is delusional enough to rate Smalling except you both here. I have seen a goalkeeper with better feet & footballing ability than him , He is lucky that he is a defender , if He was a striker or midfielder you would see how bad a footballer he is , worse than Lukaku in term of playing football. Whatever , he can stay being a squad player and benchwarmer , cause i don't think any offensive manager would fancy starting him. Your chance to watch him play week in week out has gone along with Mourinho. You guys should never wish him sacked.
Like I've said, ive seen posts like this a million times when it comes to Smalling. You wouldn't put money behind this assertion. Keep dreaming

Champagne Football

If you have a lad in the squad who works harder in training than everyone else, is willing to play when not fully recovered, never gives less than 100% in a match, is a leader in the dressing room despite only being fit for half the games each season - then you keep him.

Paul Mcgrath was advised to retire by Utd in 1989. Three years later he was voted the best player in the league with Villa winning the PFA player of the year and went on to be voted Villa's best ever player.

Last edited:

Kapardin

Excellent today so far. Great work for Martials goal and almost curled in a left foot of his own.
Has not got injured yet either). Smalling has performed good as well in spite of wearing a pineapple hat.
Fulham are terrible though. We are playing very well, but this was expected to an extent.

redpatron

its fulham, wait until tuesday when he gets smoked by cavani and mbappe

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not everyone is delusional enough to rate Smalling except you both here. I have seen a goalkeeper with better feet & footballing ability than him , He is lucky that he is a defender , if He was a striker or midfielder you would see how bad a footballer he is , worse than Lukaku in term of playing football. Whatever , he can stay being a squad player and benchwarmer , cause i don't think any offensive manager would fancy starting him. Your chance to watch him play week in week out has gone along with Mourinho. You guys should never wish him sacked.
What are you on about. Clown.

wolvored

Think it may be Bailley and Lindelof to start against PSG. Think Bailley would have had a full game today if not. Jones is a competant defender most of the time when he plays, but like Smalling, you know hes going to feck up every now and again. Hopefully if we get a better CD to play with Lindelof, I think one of Smalling and Jones might be let go. Rojo isnt even in the equation as he definitely will.