Phil Jones

johnmufc

Jones is very young and his early season form was extremely promising. However, in the second half of the season he's been absolutely abysmal. His touch is so heavy and he looks out of his depth in every aspect of the game.

A player like O'Shea would have been useful in a situation like this.
How wrong was Fergie to sell O'Shea?

Another disastrous decision by Fergie. Just one of many by Fergie this season. Horrendous.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Jones is very young and his early season form was extremely promising. However, in the second half of the season he's been absolutely abysmal. His touch is so heavy and he looks out of his depth in every aspect of the game.

Another disastrous decision by Fergie. Just one of many by Fergie this season. Horrendous.
:lol:

iAm20Legend

Like I said on the matchday thread.

From Duncan Edwards to a Dunkin Donut, one season flat.

ArmchairCritic

He was vastly overrated early on in the season because of his marauding runs and last ditch tackles.
Gary Neville said Jones will be a future England and United captain, I agree with him. The hype machine has obviously not helped but he deserves time to mature.

Cold_Boy

He was vastly overrated early on in the season because of his marauding runs and last ditch tackles.
Minus this he looks out of his depth compared to a player costing 20 mil and being a first team player in the PL.

A young talented player but surely not as ready as Fergie thinks.

Is only 19 actually.Can't blame him for being over-exposed.

Will come good hopefully.

forevrared

He was Diouf-in-the-Carling-Cup bad tonight. Was only missing a foul throw (although he had one late on I suspected may have been).

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I may be forgetting incidents to the contrary, but I thought he defended solidly tonight.

His crossing needs work obviously.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Looked like a young man who lacked experience and didn't know the position he was playing.

Rafael had too play. He's played CL semis, a few derbys and is that bit more composed.

Nani has no help from him, and when he did he decided to cross first time into a non dangerous area.

Kept smacking the ball upfield like we are Blackburn rovers. Very dissapointing display. 3/10

Smores

He's only young and he hadn't played for a while, no need to be so harsh on him really. A lot of seasoned professionals out there today who were as bad.

Number7

Ret's Slave
He's been terrible to the extent I cringe when I see his name in the lineup :(

davisjw

Ask Sunderland supporters. He has not been great.

Jones has been awful since Christmas. Everyone got excited by his power, but his brain has not evolved in tune. He doesn't deserve to go to Euros and I hope he doesn't. Let him get some rest and time with the trainers to work on his positional sense and his decision making.

Also make him kick around an egg until he can juggle it without breaking it. Then he'll have as slight a touch as Giggs.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I'm hoping none of Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Cleverley go to the Euros. But I expect the first 3 will do and Cleverley will play in the Olympics.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Welbeck and smalling deserve it, others don't

RedLars

Rafael deserved to be dropped after his abysmal defensive display against Everton.
I agree with this, but when the alternative is a Phil Jones who's looked out of place at right back for months and months, it was a poor choice nevertheless.

Godfather

A future CB for me. Not good enough technically for anything else.
Defended well but is clueless as feck in the oppossition half.

ArmchairCritic

I agree with this, but when the alternative is a Phil Jones who's looked out of place at right back for months and months, it was a poor choice nevertheless.
What's Fabio done to get in SAF's bad books? He was playing in a CL final last year and was arguably our best player that night, bit smarter than Rafael too but he's completely out of favour now.

Amir

Well, if he made some of those runs in the second half of the season I'd have been delighted. Or tonight. Defensively he was OK. Anyway, His game has gone to shreds after playing too much and suffering injuries.

RedLars

What's Fabio done to get in SAF's bad books? He was playing in a CL final last year and was arguably our best player that night, bit smarter than Rafael too but he's completely out of favour now.
Good point actually. He's had a spectacular fall from grace considering he featured heavily in our run-in last year when his brother was injured, and did a terrific job of it too.

Baxter

A future CB for me. Not good enough technically for anything else.
Defended well but is clueless as feck in the oppossition half.
Exactly, fecking hell. He is slaughtered for his work going forward, and it particular the pass back to Hart at the end. What is expected form a Centre-back. He isn't the most skilled and is quite clearly not a full-back. I actually thought he defended well, and his attacking shitness has clouded a few people's views on him. Still, I would have went with Rafael.

davisjw

It's more that he's always injured unfortunately. I think Fergie is hoping his body matures in warmer pastures and in a less physical league. Then he can come back and rip his body to shreds again.

DevilRed

Can't really expect a centreback to contribute significantly when we go forwards. He isn't playing in his preferred position but he is far more dependable than Rafael when it comes to defending.

Gone off the boil compared to the beginning of the year where he was making rampaging runs down the pitch but maybe its because of a lack of match fitness and injuries catching up to him.

tintedsepia

He's still only 19.

The fact is that SAF shouldn't have signed him as we didn't desperately need him at that time. With Anderson's injury record, Hargreaves leaving, Fletcher's cancer, Scholes' retirement, SAF knew our central midfield needed replacing and gambled on a defender we didn't need .

Not only that but when he's played in his preferred position CB he's been ****.

Bad gamble.

forevrared

It's a known fact we went for him a year early when Liverpool forced our hand. Perhaps keeping O'Shea and loaning Jones back to Blackburn would've been ideal but you can't really expect to loan a player you paid 16 million for.

Devil may care

He's still very young, the second half of the season has reaffirmed the belief we bought him a season earlier than planned, but time is certainly on his side.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I thought he was fine defensively but his lack of attacking ability showed tonight. It's fine making the odd burst forward a couple of times a game but to continually offer an attacking threat, deliver good crosses and show composure in the final third is not a part of Jones' game and that is understandable since he's predominately played his career as a CB or DM. He's done a decent job at RB when asked to play there but that is not his favoured position, I'd rather see Rafael playing there than Jones.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
As a fullback it is your job to cut out crosses and it seemed like they were coming in for fun from Jones' side. People often overlook this, but it is his job and he doesn't do it well.

Earlier on people got excited about his runs down the flank and compared him to players like Duncan Edwards. This was utter bullshit. There was no technique involved in him beating any of the players, he just managed to knock it past one player whilst sprinting and just about catching up to the ball before the next player came in to do the same thing. It was pure luck half the time.

redpie

Should be out on loan learning how to play the one position he is built for - central defender. Won't happen because of the money we spent and his profile and the dearth of options we have in central midfield.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
People are way too harsh on him :lol:.

He has unreal potential, he wasn't even bad yesterday ffs!

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
he must have been involved, and been very bad in every game we have lost this season?? city, wigan newcastle, basle, bilboa.....

i simply do not see the fuss. if im honest i dont really see the potential either.