Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
"Inter" Miami - fecking embarrassing

As an American i want the MLS to do well. But the names of some of these teams are embarrassing af. And before anyone says "so is the football" - it's actually not bad. Probably just below the Championship level. But FC blah and Inter blah is so cringey. My local team the LA Galaxy isn't bad. Very American to have the city and then another moniker. LA Dodgers, NY Yankees, etc. You can think of it as a nickname.
So league 1?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

As an American i want the MLS to do well. But the names of some of these teams are embarrassing af. And before anyone says "so is the football" - it's actually not bad. Probably just below the Championship level. But FC blah and Inter blah is so cringey. My local team the LA Galaxy isn't bad. Very American to have the city and then another moniker. LA Dodgers, NY Yankees, etc. You can think of it as a nickname.
We have names like that in England (and I assume throughout the UK) for the lower levels of amateur football and it's very much a self-deprecating joke about the fact you're just a bunch of nobodies, so it's really funny that you guys over there do it seemingly unironically.

Tarrou

We have names like that in England (and I assume throughout the UK) for the lower levels of amateur football and it's very much a self-deprecating joke about the fact you're just a bunch of nobodies, so it's really funny that you guys over there do it seemingly unironically.
I think Beckham just wanted a south American brand because of the spanish-speaking community in Florida (who are likely the main demographic of their support)

DOTA

I think Beckham just wanted a south American brand because of the spanish-speaking community in Florida (who are likely the main demographic of their support)
There's possibly some truth to this but we are talking about a competition that includes Real Salt Lake.

Tarrou

There's possibly some truth to this but we are talking about a competition that includes Real Salt Lake.
Yeah some of it is a bit silly for sure. With Beckham though I think he just made a really smart branding decision. He'll likely make a billion from selling them when he decides too.

DOTA

Yeah some of it is a bit silly for sure. With Beckham though I think he just made a really smart branding decision. He'll likely make a billion from selling them when he decides too.
I would argue it can be both a potentially effective way to signal to your target demographic that this one's for you and at the same time a symptom of the deeply embarrassing lack of self-awareness that US Soccer, and American culture more broadly, struggles with.

How much of the club does he own? It's all part of the deal that brought him to LA Galaxy isn't it?

Tarrou

I would argue it can be both a potentially effective way to signal to your target demographic that this one's for you and at the same time a symptom of the deeply embarrassing lack of self-awareness that US Soccer, and American culture more broadly, struggles with.

How much of the club does he own? It's all part of the deal that brought him to LA Galaxy isn't it?
no idea to be honest, but yeah they gave him a cut-price deal (25m) to buy a franchise

DOTA

I have never watched any league 1 but i mean not quite Championship level but close from what i have seen.
League One is a strange league where somewhere between 2-5 teams with relatively recent Premier League experience compete with 20 clubs whose greatest ever player got 6 caps for Wales.

Kinda hard to compare directly with other leagues.

RedTiger

Half mast

I've always thought that the name "Five boroughs football club" would be great for a NYC team. It could be shortened to "The boroughs" in conversation.

Another one I always thought would work well was "Hearts of Providence football club " repping New England and the city of Providence, obviously shortened to Hearts.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
League One is a strange league where somewhere between 2-5 teams with relatively recent Premier League experience compete with 20 clubs whose greatest ever player got 6 caps for Wales.

Kinda hard to compare directly with other leagues.
The salaries of Pro Soccer Players in the US range from $14,441 to $384,204 , with a median salary of $69,303 - and before anyone asks that's per year - but there's some weird rule that allows fading superstars earn serious money, it's no wonder all the top US players don't play in their home country - it's impossible to directly compare with anywhere else!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So Miami just beat second in the table Nashville in the cup.

Seems to be coasting without progressing much at Miami, unlike DC United who are progressing under big Wayne.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Must’ve been awkward but it was a long time coming. The Miami fans also boo’d his son who came on as a sub.

What next, Salford?

DOTA

Must’ve been awkward but it was a long time coming. The Miami fans also boo’d his son who came on as a sub.

What next, Salford?
As someone who follows Salford, I'd be pretty unimpressed.

Halftrack

Wonder if he'll keep failing upward.

Have nothing against him, but he's clearly not management material.

MoskvaRed

I imagine gravity will start to take hold now. However, he’s had a great run for someone with no discernible managerial talent.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Inter Miami did it wrong. You cant bring in Phil Neville without David Moyes and Steve Round.

Jamesh

How did he go from assistant at Valencia>England Womens>Miami? He's Stuart Pearce level management at best. Maybe Moyes assistant or Bury AFC but will no doubt end up on the failed managers pundit sofa extolling his pearls of tactical wisdom.

Someone

Something
Not closely following the MLS but think they might benefit from having some experienced european managers instead of going for people with no proper CV like neville in the first place. Why not try to tempt the likes of Pellegrini or Bielsa.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Not closely following the MLS but think they might benefit from having some experienced european managers instead of going for people with no proper CV like neville in the first place. Why not try to tempt the likes of Pellegrini or Bielsa.
If I were them I'd consider a young up and comer again but not one that's in the frame just because he's mates with the owner and was a well known player. If you were looking at England I'd be thinking of the likes of Darren Moore, Kieran McKenna, even perhaps Ryan Mason? I'm sure there are plenty of equivalents in Spain, Italy or Portugal that you could look at too.

Someone

Something
If I were them I'd consider a young up and comer again but not one that's in the frame just because he's mates with the owner and was a well known player. If you were looking at England I'd be thinking of the likes of Darren Moore, Kieran McKenna, even perhaps Ryan Mason? I'm sure there are plenty of equivalents in Spain, Italy or Portugal that you could look at too.
No young up and coming manager would prefer goin to the MLS. It's the same for players, you want to try your luck first in europe. Do you think Carrick and McKenna don't fancy themselves managing in the premier league in the next few years? It's easier to tempt old experienced managers imo, and unlike old players who go there past their prime, old managers can still do a great job imo, and they'd add more to the league than has been players.