Philippe Coutinho | Aston Villa player | deal made perm

TheLiverBird

I think Stevie G is right in that you don’t lose talent, some players just need to be loved for them to feel they can express themselves

Coutinho is a terribly shy lad by all accounts but he became settled at Liverpool and was loved by all and look what we saw, he was world class no doubt about that.

since moving away it just doesn’t look like he’s been settled enough not loved enough hence imo why he hasn’t looked a shadow of the player he was at Liverpool.

He’s no teamed up with a former teammate in Gerrard who is quite clearly fond of Coutinho, and he’s moved to a team where he’s the big name. I think it’s perfect for him, it’s an environment where he can be loved and finally express himself again and considering he’s still only 29….I say only but it’s far from over the hill, I think we’ll see a different player to the one that’s been at Barca and Bayern….his quality will return and if that happens it’ll be a huge coup for Villa.

Bearded One

I think Stevie G is right in that you don’t lose talent, some players just need to be loved for them to feel they can express themselves

Coutinho is a terribly shy lad by all accounts but he became settled at Liverpool and was loved by all and look what we saw, he was world class no doubt about that.

since moving away it just doesn’t look like he’s been settled enough not loved enough hence imo why he hasn’t looked a shadow of the player he was at Liverpool.

He’s no teamed up with a former teammate in Gerrard who is quite clearly fond of Coutinho, and he’s moved to a team where he’s the big name. I think it’s perfect for him, it’s an environment where he can be loved and finally express himself again and considering he’s still only 29….I say only but it’s far from over the hill, I think we’ll see a different player to the one that’s been at Barca and Bayern….his quality will return and if that happens it’ll be a huge coup for Villa.
Good post I have to say.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Hot take coming in:
Even while he was still at Liverpool I always thought Coutinho, while obviously very talented, was quite overrated, because he was the kind of player, who will ruin 10 good attacks with a premature long shot, just so he can score a screamer on the 11th. And I also think his style greatly benefited from the fact that he came to the PL when it was in the dark ages tactically and teams didn't know how to press or close spaces in midfield.

TheLiverBird

Hot take coming in:
Even while he was still at Liverpool I always thought Coutinho, while obviously very talented, was quite overrated, because he was the kind of player, who will ruin 10 good attacks with a premature long shot, just so he can score a screamer on the 11th. And I also think his style greatly benefited from the fact that he came to the PL when it was in the dark ages tactically and teams didn't know how to press or close spaces in midfield.
fair enough bud

I think many believe he’s overrated because of the price tag he went for, believing he was no way worth that sort of money which I can get. I’d almost agree on that front, but scrapping that price tag I’ve brought up for a minute, I do feel he was when at his best a beautiful player to watch that saw things way before other players did, opening up doors too opportunities nobody saw opening.

he did like a good strike from distance of which he missed his fair share but I’d challenge that with the amount of chances he’d create for his team mates when he’s not attempting long range screamers, always had a decent assist rate and also he was practically scoring 1 goal in 2 matches in his last 2 seasons with Liverpool.

I know your not saying he wasn’t a good player, a lot of folks see “overrated” mentioned and straight away think your saying said player is crap, and I know your obviously not saying that. I can understand the overrated status towards Coutinho with how things panned out since his big money move, but as an LFC fan watching him when he was with us, and admittedly with biased eyes, he became a really really special player during his time with us, had my jaw next too my ankles at time with his abilities.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

You are spot on.

TheLiverBird

You are spot on.
A manager and former teammate that knows him….knows exactly how to get the best out of Coutinho, because he’s seen it behind closed doors on the training field, in the canteen, in the hotels, he knows how to settle Coutinho does Gerrard. And the early signs are showing it.

3 games, 2 goals, 2 assists

he’s not been 10/10 each game, but he’a shown moments of genius and that magician is starting to already show itself again. What a clever clever signing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I was always scared to post this (don't know know if I did) because of him being an ex Liverpool player;

But I always felt that we should go for Coutinho on loan.

He dominated the PL once and I couldn't see why he couldn't play even half to that level again.

Not surprised with him doing Well at Villa.

TheLiverBird

I was always scared to post this (don't know know if I did) because of him being an ex Liverpool player;

He dominated the PL once and I couldn't see why he couldn't play even half to that level again.

He’d have never of entertained the idea of going to Utd, not in a millions years.

Just my opinion of course, he’s not the kind of character to be up for that move being a much loved former Liverpool player.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

If he needs the right conditions to succeed then he would've fallen apart here. There would be massive pressure to reach his Liverpool level and his Liverpool connection would probably make things even more difficult for him.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

He never dominated the PL. He did well, but that’s not the same as dominating. Coutinho just comes across as a big fish in a small pond. It’s why he never kicked on when he was at Barca ( when they were good) or at Bayern, but did well at Liverpool when they were average, and is now doing the same at Villa.

I reckon he's a big fish in a small pond type who needs to feel special at a club. He needs to be the focus of everything and be allowed to shoot from anywhere and do what he wants. Walking into Barcelona where they were all special, and he got chastised for being wasteful, wasn't right for him. Neither would any other big club be.

Zaha is similar and he's exactly like Grealish who is beginning to fade a bit under the pressure of City.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He’d have never of entertained the idea of going to Utd, not in a millions years.

Just my opinion of course, he’s not the kind of character to be up for that move being a much loved former Liverpool player.
With the way his career was fizzling out, he'd have absolutely jumped at the chance at signing for United. Footballers don't love our clubs in the same we do. It's extremely rare to see players place loyalty to one club above a great career move.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
With the way his career was fizzling out, he'd have absolutely jumped at the chance at signing for United. Footballers don't love our clubs in the same we do. It's extremely rare to see players place loyalty to one club above a great career move.
I very much doubt it, how often does it happen? Especially between United and Liverpool players. Managers it happens with a lot more often. I can definitely see it changing in the future. I mean we’ve poached people behind the scenes who’ve worked at United so it’s not an issue there.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Not impressed.

The kind of player only suited for Top5-6/midtable clubs. No pressure.

His mind breaks as soon as he signs for a TopTop club, like Barca or Bayern.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I doubt he will refuse the chance signing for Utd for first team football outside of Barcelona. I just doubt he will perform well there. Happy to see he performs well in Aston Villa. He is too good a player sit on bench.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I very much doubt it, how often does it happen? Especially between United and Liverpool players. Managers it happens with a lot more often. I can definitely see it changing in the future. I mean we’ve poached people behind the scenes who’ve worked at United so it’s not an issue there.
I don't know. I don't see him denying himself another shot at a major club just because he played for Liverpool for a couple of years.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I doubt he will refuse the chance signing for Utd for first team football outside of Barcelona. I just doubt he will perform well there. Happy to see he performs well in Aston Villa. He is too good a player sit on bench.
It's the same situation Fabregas found himself in, except his career wasn't threatening to fizzle out in the same way Coutinho was. I could never have pictured him at Chelsea. I think Coutinho, if the options were United or Villa, would likely have gone with United. Why would he deny himself another shot? Whether or not he would be good at United is a different conversation altogether.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This bastard only came to sink our European aspirations, didn't he.
Has done feck all since.

Nero

He was only interested in putting in a performance against us. Only thing that mattered after that was collecting his dollar.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Made permanent for 20 mill.

What a fecking mess why did barca pay 150 mill for him to begin with? Pool mugged them good.

Aside from hazard has there ever been a bigger mess?

SAFMUTD

He must have been unhappy as feck in Barcelona if the reports are true he accepted to lower his wages to 30%.

I would have thought a player like him could get a better team and wages.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
How on earth did Liverpool con Barca in to paying 140M, or whatever it was, for this guy.

I mean, of course, he was a decent player for them, but even so, they paid double what they should have paid, and that's not even with the benefit of hindsight.

Irrational.

How on earth did Liverpool con Barca in to paying 140M, or whatever it was, for this guy.

I mean, of course, he was a decent player for them, but even so, they paid double what they should have paid, and that's not even with the benefit of hindsight.
They’ve done that with a lot of their players. They all seem to drop off a cliff once they leave Liverpool.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Barca's management seems to have a double digit amount of their iq knocked off their brain after selling neymar.

That whole periods after they did so is so fecking bizarre.

Jezpeza

They’ve done that with a lot of their players. They all seem to drop off a cliff once they leave Liverpool.
i’m more impressed with the fees they got for the likes of Solanke, Ibe and Ward. Picked up approx 50 mil for those three!