Philippe Coutinho | Aston Villa player | deal made perm

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He is a bit passed it i think. Will be a flop.
Doubt it as most others think it’s a smart move. He’s a proven player in the PL and would walk into teams lineups and be starting right away. He will be motivated to show Gerrard what he can still do. Just in time too.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Was a far better player than grealish in his top form a few years ago.

NewYorkRed

Half his wages is still a lot of money for a team like Villa, surely?! I’m not sure Everton considered James Rodriguez a good signing in the end, even though it followed a similar rationale.
Villa are fairly rich, so not really. James is an interesting comp but I don’t think it works tbh. Coutinho is prem proven, James was not. Also James was the sort of player who needed good teammates around him to shine, I don’t think that is the case with Coutinho who has looked bad even with stars

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
There is no way to find logic in this business.

Aston Villa is already struggling to fit the offensive pieces they have, Coutinho is a player who has been at a regrettable level for several years, what will he do in the Premier for 6 months?

Will receive the highest salary of the team, obviously taking someone's place in the starting eleven, all this for what?

Aston Villa is playing practically nothing this year and they have to think about a project for the future, in none of this Coutinho fits in, a very strange thing.

Here, only Barcelona wins and whoever managed this should win some good favors.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Doubt it as most others think it’s a smart move. He’s a proven player in the PL and would walk into teams lineups and be starting right away. He will be motivated to show Gerrard what he can still do. Just in time too.
I saw him from time to time when he was loaned to munich and he just didn't really seem like the same player anymore, you hardly go through what he did be benched for most of it and come back unscathed , I'd be really impressed if he gets close to the level of what he achieved here before.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
I saw him from time to time when he was loaned to munich and he just didn't really seem like the same player anymore, you hardly go through what he did be benched for most of it and come back unscathed , I'd be really impressed if he gets close to the level of what he achieved here before.
He has totally lost his appetite for success after moving to Barsa. He wasn't desperate to excel at BM and Barsa (after coming back from loans), so hard to see him re-ignite his desire at Villa. Curiously, his career has followed a similar trajectory as James' career after moving from Monaco to RM. I'd expect him to land in a no name, big money club soon if it's to continue.

Strange things happen in football all the time, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he can find joy for his football again at Villa.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Was a far better player than grealish in his top form a few years ago.
Coutinho was amazing for you, but IMO Grealish's performances from the first half of last season hadn't been seen in the PL since 2006-07 Ronaldo.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He has totally lost his appetite for success after moving to Barsa. He wasn't desperate to excel at BM and Barsa (after coming back from loans), so hard to see him re-ignite his desire at Villa. Curiously, his career has followed a similar trajectory as James' career after moving from Monaco to RM. I'd expect him to land in a no name, big money club soon if it's to continue.

Strange things happen in football all the time, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if he can find joy for his football again at Villa.
Yeah pretty much as the only time I saw him excited to prove a point was ironically against barca in that infamous game.

Cloud7

I think he'll do well with them. Villa isn't like when he was at Pool or Barcelona where he's expected to be at the top of his game week in, week out. He'll have some room to be a mixed bag, so to speak, but if on his good days he does his thing and scores them some great goals I think they'll consider him a worthwhile signing.

lsd

The Oracle
Sadly for us while I don't see him doing well at Villa in the long run he will no doubt be motivated enough to start with a bang

OverratedOpinion

They played some really nice link up play on Monday. I think he might suite them really well. If he had the chance Buendia had after the lovely 1-2 with Watkins he would have more than likely scored.

Chief123

Come off the bench for the last 20 minutes against us and then guaranteed to curl an absolute worldie into the top corner.

lsd

The Oracle
Sadly for us while I don't see him doing well at Villa in the long run he will no doubt be motivated enough to start with a bang

Hate it when things are so predicable. Just knew he would score today you could have bet your life on it

Lewnited

It's even more annoying because made it so easy for him to get his big moment :lol: He looked like a deer caught in headlights prior to the goal as well

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Made the first goal with a little layoff, scored the second and almost had another one. Brought on at the right time and changed the match. All around great second half from Coutinho, Villa, and Gerrard with his correct timing on subs.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Thats his season over now. He will do nothing for the resr of it.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
I think it's a fantastic signing (unfortunately).

He's clearly world class, and although he was widely criticized for agitating a move to Barca, it enabled 'them' to buy a top class keeper and CB, and look what that led to!

Reading comments on some of the articles in the papers, Liverpool fans suddenly find themselves Born Again Villa supporters.

A lose, lose, lose (ffs)

*loose, lose, lost, ha* (re: my edit)

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't care what people think about me, but I did wonder about signing Coutinho for United.

I don't rate Coutinho that highly- but I did remember how he was playing for Liverpool in the PL and was wondering if he could maybe do that for us because it would be useful.

When he was getting ready to come on for Aston Villa I was starting to panic at the possible outcome- could he be as useful for Villa as he was once for Liverpool?

Let's see. So far most likely yes he probably could.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think it's a fantastic signing (unfortunately).

He's clearly world class, and although he was widely criticized for agitating a move to Barca, it enabled 'them' to buy a top class keeper and CB, and look what that led to!

Reading comments on some of the articles in the papers, Liverpool fans suddenly find themselves Born Again Villa supporters.

A lose, lose, lose (ffs)

*loose, lose, lost, ha* (re: my edit)
It was kind of humorous watching that yesterday. There’s just so many problems at united with the mgr and having Coutinho and Gerrard combine to do a little torture was kind of funny. Not as funny as sparky the clown. But funny.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Am I remembering right, did he actually grab the badge after he scored? Why do footballers do things like this? He's just signed for them and he probably couldn't name any of the players a week before he signed yet feels the need to grab the badge like he grew up with a Brummy accent.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
I know, it's sickening.

I think, though, that for Coutinho, he's been in the equivalent of soccer purgatory since he left for Barca. It was never going to work out there with Messi already being 1st pick for that (or similar no. 10 role; Coutinho likes to cut in from the left, even though he' a right footer). It's clear Gnasher got in his ear (remember, Gnasher agitated for a move to Arsenal a couple of years prior).

So for me, the gesture was saying how grateful he is for being rescued and being back in the Premier League (where I think we can all agree, he belongs) and that he's ready to give 100% for his new employer.

It was the same with Gerrard's appointment, everybody was dismissive saying he's inexperienced and that he'll leave for bigger things as soon as he gets the chance (which has gigantic assumptions attached to that view) - in his 1st interview he states "I'm all in". You can hear he is clearly committed, gives no BS interviews and has got all the attributes for success.

A double whammy (ffs).

A great time to be a Villa fan, though (and for football fans in general).

*njred, that reminds me of a birthday party I organized for jnr back in the 90's, a story for another day*

Last edited:

NoPace

Have to admit I think Gerrard might know what he's doing. Coutinho actually makes sense if they play a christmas tree and I think playing a formation nobody else uses anymore is sort of clever because it makes buys easier and it fits their best young players who seem to be neither CMs nor wide man (Ramsey and Chukwumeka) and McGinn too, as well as their fullbacks. They'll have some big losses with Digne and Cash asked to cover so much ground (though Cash might be up for it for a few years he's sort of a Lichtsteiner type who runs himself into the ground admirably) and it makes Bailey just a bench option or a player to be sold, but yeah it makes sense.