Philippe Coutinho | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They did well to keep him for as long as they did.

He's been there what? 5 years? And won feck all.
Yeah signed January 2013, and he hasn’t won anything to be fair. Came close a few times but that’s not enough when a club that does win things comes for one of your players.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah signed January 2013, and he hasn’t won anything to be fair. Came close a few times but that’s not enough when a club that does win things comes for one of your players.
It's why I find the comparisons with Ronaldo leaving Utd for Madrid to be wrong.

Ronaldo had won everything with us and we were a game away from retaining the Champions League. We were the better side than Real Madrid at the time. I can't see how anyone can make the claim Coutinho would be better off staying at Liverpool.

You've got an incredible price for him though.

Havak

Pokemon master
Really thought they'd keep hold of him until the Summer in the end, as if Liverpool believed they had any chance in the Champion's League they'd need him for that. This might mean they manage to get Mahrez though, which would be a great signing as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Which barca promised to give back on his first renewal. Even then, if the summer figures of €20m/year for 5 years were true, he's giving up €3m/year. Still twice as much as he's currently making at liverpool
Bs. Barca journalists always make to stories like this.
Even if true it makes sense for him

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I’ll miss you Phil. :(

I think he’ll be great in Spain, fantastic move for him.

We have to sign someone now to replace him. I’m still shocked that we’ve agreed this in January but it seems like the money and Coutinho’s willingness to join them was too much.

Signed for £8.5 million I think, sold for £142 million. :eek:

This explains the VVD transfer.
I said in the Suarez sale thread when biter left, and obviously was laughed at, that Coutinho was our next £50m player. Oh how wrong and how far off I was. :lol:

Bye Phil. Thanks for single handedly winning us all those trophies and getting 20 goals a season in a row. Not sure how we're going to replace all that. :(

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I said in the Suarez sale thread when biter left, and obviously was laughed at, that Coutinho was our next £50m player. Oh how wrong and how far off I was. :lol:

Bye Phil. Thanks for single handedly winning us all those trophies and getting 20 goals a season in a row. Not sure how we're going to replace all that. :(
He’s still different to anyone else we have in our squad though. Not impossible to replace but not easy either.

cyberman

Poor Paulinho if he has Messi an Coutinho in front of him.
He'll need a strong back to carry that workload.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Coutinho must be desperate after Barcelona if he is willing to give up UCL football just to get there. I still have my doubts that this transfer will happen this winter.
It's not as if he was going to win the CL with Liverpool, he isn't giving up much.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
142m for coutinho, that is a lot. Thank you PSG for inflating the market like this. They should be suspended from buying any more players. They have made a mockery of the market which has been impacted forever. Jokers.
This is why I really dislike the way football has gone. They say that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but that standard rule of the market is starting to no longer apply to this sport. We first got a taste of what was to come with Abramovich at Chelsea, but the Arab clubs of City and PSG with their state funded and virtually unlimited wealth have now distorted the market to such an extent that is the difficult for even the traditional elite of European football to make any profit from buying a big name talent anymore. The risk is so high and there are only so many opportunities for commercial growth to make the money back.

The logical outworking of this will be calls for a European League, and then these owners will be as happy as pigs in shit.*

* apologies for the pork reference.

Kapardin

Coutinho has gone up in my estimation. Anyone who wants to leave Liverpool that bad is alright in my book. Plus, he is not a cnut like Suarez.

AshRK

This is why I really dislike the way football has gone. They say that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it but that standard rule of the market is starting to no longer apply to this sport. We first got a taste of what was to come with Abramovich at Chelsea, but the Arab clubs of City and PSG with their state funded and virtually unlimited wealth have now distorted the market to such an extent that is the difficult for even the traditional elite of European football to make any profit from buying a big name talent anymore. The risk is so high and there are only so many opportunities for commercial growth to make the money back.

The logical outworking of this will be calls for a European League, and then these owners will be as happy as pigs in shit.*

* apologies for the pork reference.
I do not buy teams spending money, but there should be some check to it. Its sad for clubs like Milan/Ajax who once used to be European heavyweights but now because of these city's, psg they can no longer dominate the football. Also I would include clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool themselves who have been the most hit because of Manchester City's birth. Some insane spending to be coming more this summer.

Member 5225

Really hope this football transfer bubble tumbles at some point.

It's beyond ridiculous now.
Simple: don't pay over the odds for your TV package that shows PL, so clubs get less, so fees in-turn become less...

AndyJ1985

Barcelona has just spent 248m on 2 players though. They used that Neymar money well!
Signing Coutinho and Dembele isn't a bad way to replace Neymar. I mean it beats replacing Ronaldo with Valencia, Obertan, and Owen...

finneh

My god. The Neymar sale has really revolutionized the way football is going. Now I wonder how are they going to fit Griezmann into all this next season. Could they sell Suarez?
It really hasn't revolutionised anything. Transfers over the past decade have been artificially low in comparison to the early 2000's.

United won't their entire yearly net profit on Veron and Rio. United's profit last year was £200m.

Neymar's transfer was no different to Veron's or Rio's and is comparatively very cheap compared to Zidane etc.

The difference is United have needed 4+ player's per season since Fergie retired. Naturally this means instead of a Neymar type transfer we need a Pogba, Bailly and Mkhitaryan or a Matic, Lukaku and Lindelof.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

It's not a bubble, is the evolution of the industry

At least here in Spain we went from free League and UCL games in public tv, to sports package in monthly fees, shirts 3x times more expensive and a load of Sports media creating revenue from ads 24/7, before that you had 10 minutes of sports in the news, 4 sports newspaper and the odd La Liga weekly at Sundays.

It's like the NBA, when sports go this big its no longer a bubble, people pay a lot for this, so clubs have the money

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Zidane went for €70 million when Real Madrid's total revenue was just under the €200 million mark so that was 1/3 or their total income on one player

Coutinho is about 1/3 of Barcelona's total revenue so it's not really a bubble clubs just have that much money to spend these days

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
250 million on fecking Coutinho and Dembele. Barca are insane.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
If that îs fully guaranteed, it´s a shitload of money for Coutinho. Obviously depends now how much premium Liverpool will end up paying on their signings how well they can bolster their own roster. Already paid extra for VVD due to the tampering issue. I´d target players with reasonable release clauses, who still exist plenty given that the explosion only took place 12 months ago.

red4ever 79

Will light up La Liga. Time and space on the ball combined in an attacking environment. Does anyone blame the lad? The opportunity to play with Messi, Suarez, Iniesta.

dogwithabone

£145m for Coutinho is ridiculous. He’s undoubtedly very good but never in a million years is he a £145m player.

Not world class and never will be. Barcelona have lost the plot.

We need an rvn

simply not sustainable. Good player but by feck is he worth £142m. Honestly you'd put kane up there with £250m now then and if any club pays 1/4 of a £b for any player I'll stop watching the game.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
Haven't they already used most of that money by signing VVD and keita?
Well the net spend for Liverpool just went back to roughly €40-50M under Klopp (including VVD and Keita). Given the additional CL income, potential Sturridge/Origi sales and the assumption, they did not lure Klopp with an annual war chest of €15-20M, you´d have to assume they can still shop heavily. Of course we don´t know for sure, since they don´t discuss their budget publically. I´m Liverpool I´d also target some prospects like Sessegnon, who can play LB/LW which is clearly a position of need and even with €160M there is a limit to what you can demand for a 17 year old teenager, especially if you loan him back to Fulham for 12-18 months. Then he can step in to replace Moreno/Robertson in two years, who you can sell for a profit, too.

JustFootballFan

Supports
Liverpool
If they splash out on Mahrez and Lemar, that'd be scary! :nervous:
I think if they get both, they might as well sell Can for €15-20M now. Though stingy Juve probably don´t want to pay and will wait.

ti vu

How much did the Nike fiasco add to the deal I wonder?
I doubt any. Nike clearly got some sort of confirmation from Barcelona to start working on promoting Coutinho. The leak is bad for hyping the signing even more commercial wise, but doesn't mean L'pool can hold Barcelona for ransom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.