g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pique colluding with spanish national federation

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Apparently he made a deal with the national federation to hold the Spanish super cup in Saudi arabia through his company kos mos.
The United link is strong with this one :lol:

Here's the Marca article.

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Other leagues are weird.

Then again, how far is English football away from having a league cup, community shield or FA Cup game in the middle East or China?

Denis79

Other leagues are weird.

Then again, how far is English football away from having a league cup, community shield or FA Cup game in the middle East or China?
English football is played 7842 Km from China or 4382 Km from the middle-east.

RedDevil@84

Other leagues are weird.

Those Qatar stadiums need some good use after the WC. Lets goooooo for it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Other leagues are weird.

Well the 39th game was mooted once

Red the Bear

Something less generic
what’s even being said here and why is it funny?
Our player have a Knack for getting embroiled in controversy.
I think it was Anderson who a while ago got involved in a crypto currency scam or something to that effect.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Apparently he made a deal with the national federation to hold the Spanish super cup in Saudi arabia through his company kos mos.
The United link is strong with this one :lol:
What's wrong with hosting game in Saudi arabia?

Was it wrong because of the money? Because it's overseas? Or because it's Saudi Arabia?

If this is Germany or the US or Wales or Scotland, would you snide it the same way and call it colussion instead of simply cashing out?

Serious question.

Denis79

Was it wrong because of the money? Because it's overseas? Or because it's Saudi Arabia?

If this is Germany or the US or Wales or Scotland, would you snide it the same way and call it colussion instead of simply cashing out?

Serious question.
Yeah! Premier league should do one better and host a game in Russia.

SirAF

Ageist

If this is Germany or the US or Wales or Scotland, would you snide it the same way
and call it colussion instead of simply cashing out?

Serious question.
Saudi Arabia is not exactly a haven for democracy, of course it's not the same as Germany etc.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Serious question.
He's accused of accepting 6 million euros for colluding to do so, doesn't really matter where really.
I think you misunderstood, it wasn't about the location it was about an active player colluding to make this happen through his company and getting money for it.

Brophs

The One and Only
His company made a documentary with Griezmann about him ultimately turning Barca, the club Pique is being touted as a future president of, down at the last minute. I’d suggest he’s no stranger to divided loyalties.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's accused of accepting 6 million euros for colluding to do so, doesn't really matter where really.
I think you misunderstood, it wasn't about the location it was about an active player colluding to make this happen through his company and getting money for it.
But his company made a deal with Spanish FA? Meaning they agreed to it? How can a shell company force the spanish fa to come to saudi without them knowing it?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
But his company made a deal with Spanish FA? Meaning they agreed to it? How can a shell company force the spanish fa to come to saudi without them knowing it?
I'm no legal expert but it looks sketchy as hell , also there has to be a conflict of interest in there somehow.

Redfrog

Serious question.
A Spanish game should be played in Spain…football is just not for fans anymore.
And Saudi Arabia is not a democracy and don’t exactly stand up for values football is promoting in apparently. But money is king anyway so who cares about fans and values ? So nothing wrong.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Considering the decline of vidic and rio, we probably should have kept him.
Nah, he moved to Barcelona in 2008 which was about 4 years before either of them declined. We also had Jonjo Evans in front of him.

IIRC it was surprising how quickly he established himself in their first team. He'd had decent loan at Zaragoza but I don't think people expected it.

He was a fantastic player at youth level though. Him and Rossi were leaps above everyone back then.

Edit - Bit of a pile on here :)

Last edited:

mitChley

He left when they were around their peak? He would have had to wait on the side lines for 4/5 years to become a regular. I don't think anyone is looking back at that and thinking it was a bad play for any party.

Siorac

He left in 2008 when they were at their prime. He didn't want to stay and he definitely wouldn't have wanted to wait another 3-4 years to be first choice. It's hard to deny that he made the right decision for his career.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It was known that Kosmos, Piqué's company, had been an intermediary, but Rubiales (the president) denied Piqué's participation, the payment of commissions to Piqué or his company. As Redthebear has told you, the main problem is that an active player is in the conversations, deciding how much the rest of the teams should earn. And now the question is how far Piqué's complicity with the federation goes, since his team Andorra got a place skipping a category and is leading in what was the old 2B

Spaghetti

Mom's
Saudi Arabia is not exactly a haven for democracy, of course it's not the same as Germany etc.
Therefore, we can only communicate with people who share our culture and ideologies?

Thank Christ not everyone is as closed minded.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It was known that Kosmos, Piqué's company, had been an intermediary, but Rubiales (the president) denied Piqué's participation, the payment of commissions to Piqué or his company. As Redthebear has told you, the main problem is that an active player is in the conversations, deciding how much the rest of the teams should earn. And now the question is how far Piqué's complicity with the federation goes, since his team Andorra got a place skipping a category and is leading in what was the old 2B
But he is not deciding anything, is he? At the end of the day he's just there in the conversations, but the final word belongs to Rubiales and the clubs. Or am I getting it wrong here?

Edit: The Andorra thingy is a little bit more "complicated" though.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
We wanted to didn't we, but Evans was the third choice and he wanted up the pecking order. If I recall correctly
You're right, I forgot about Evans,in retrospect he was right as he would go on to be part of some of the most successful teams around.
Nah, he moved to Barcelona in 2008 which was about 4 years before either of them declined. We also had Jonjo Evans in front of him.

IIRC it was surprising how quickly he established himself in their first team. He'd had decent loan at Zaragoza but I don't think people expected it.

He was a fantastic player at youth level though. Him and Rossi were leaps above everyone back then.

Edit - Bit of a pile on here :)
Great post , nice trip down the memory lane, I still think we made a mistake by prioritizing Evans ahead of him
, while he seemed shakey in his few appearances with us , I always thought his quality and ball playing abilities were evident.
He left when they were around their peak? He would have had to wait on the side lines for 4/5 years to become a regular. I don't think anyone is looking back at that and thinking it was a bad play for any party.
Yeah you're right , wishful thinking on my part.
What? They were still champions 5 years later. Kept him for what? To rot on the bench?
Rio and vidic basically retired at 2014, pique was one of the best center backs in the world as recently as 2018 and still plays at a relatively high level , but yeah you're right its wishful thinking on my part to think we could have kept him.
He left in 2008 when they were at their prime. He didn't want to stay and he definitely wouldn't have wanted to wait another 3-4 years to be first choice. It's hard to deny that he made the right decision for his career.
Yeah , I've just gotten salty that we haven't had a stable decent center back since rio and vidic left.
Not him, but plenty of it at Ajax with Overmars, Bogarde, Labyad, Promes and now Blind and Klaassen with some NFT online game.
Oh, I'm aware of a lot of those but the nft thing is new to my ears and kinda sounds hilarious, ajax sure do have their fair share of controversy to be expected from a club of their stature.