PL clubs furlough non-playing staff | Liverpool, Spurs & Bournemouth U-turns

Sylar

In response to your replies, it's morality vs business

I'm not defending it. But the Liverpool owner won't care what anybody says online
If they are the only club doing it, it might be an image issue but they aren't.

I can see other clubs following suit. Business wise (and logic) dictates they save their money and use somebody else's money

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In response to your replies, it's morality vs business

I'm not defending it. But the Liverpool owner won't care what anybody says online
If they are the only club doing it, it might be an image issue but they aren't.

I can see other clubs following suit. Business wise (and logic) dictates they save their money and use somebody else's money
Well, I think some won't because of the morals but some won't also, because they'll probably think of the possible backlash.

If it's about business, most sensible companies nowadays consider reputational risk and long term impacts as part of key decisions. In a world of ever increasing social media impact and a world that will (at some point) look back on big company's decisions during Covid 19, my personal opinion would be .. pay the money, the potential downside is miles higher than saving £x (or $x).

(EDIT. Honest question. Why do you think United aren't doing this? ... if it's about business? Both US billionaire owned?)

Last edited:

fps

Why did they not just initially carve out PL teams and say the scheme wouldn't be applicable to them?
Because there are going to be hundreds of powerful enormous businesses abusing this. At least hundreds. That’s what happens when something like this has to be rushed through.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Think anyone who's close to the club will agree with Carra, good on him as well for taking a swipe at the club.
Well said. I’m disappointed, don’t know whose decision it ultimately is, but I’d say FSG’s and they look at the business side of things. But I really don’t like it, it’s just wrong. Any money spent in the summer will leave a sour taste after this decision.

It seems they’re not up to speed with CSR yet, far from.

GGT

Trying to justify what Liverpool have done with other big company's furloughing staff is missing the point.
Liverpool made 150m on revenue of 450m, so could have lost a whole 4 months of revenue last season,and still sustained no loss.

It is very different for most company's that made 150m last year from much higher revenue, for most losing 4 month revenue would be the end of them, as will soon be played out, if the lockdown lasts a considerable while longer.
These type of company's are what the gov are trying to help. Not to subside those that are in no danger of out lasting the virus.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Premier League need to also take some blame for this. As soon as the Chancellor announced the furlough scheme the PL should have had a penalty attached to any of the 20 clubs who take advantage. This isn't just Liverpool who look bad here but also the sport as a whole in the country.
When a club that recorded a record profit does it, yes they look bad.

You expect it from struggling clubs like Norwich and Bournemouth and greedy owners like Ashley and Levy but for Liverpool to do it, quite frankly it's pathetic and shows them for what they truly are (a fecking joke of a club)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
This is going to play out just like the financial crisis, the man in the street picks up the tab while big business turns its back. Fecking scum.

RedStarUnited

I think it's quite obvious given some clubs are paying 10% of their staff hundreds of thousands a week whilst taking advantage of a government scheme to cover the other 90% of their lower paid staff. This is not a time for businesses to be 'taking advantage' of government schemes. They can afford to pay all staff if the highest earners took marginal pay cuts during this time. This is precisely what is happening at my workplace. The disparity between what the players earn to what the rest of the staff will earn is massive and not really seen in most other business types. It's morally wrong for Premier League football clubs to use the scheme. I don't why some people on here see this as me defending billionaire owners.

Just remember we, as taxpayers, are paying those furloughed staff wages with your taxes and that pot is ever increasing. We will be paying that national debt back for years.
The amount has been budgeted/allocated, if the football clubs don't take it then other businesses will and we will pay it with our taxes anyway.

The high earners at your workplace are getting that money because of their perceived value to the business. As soon as this is all over, any high earner forced to take a pay cut will move to another company, Your company is not forcing those people to take cuts to mitigate for this. In football clubs it is the same thing, the players are the prized assets and if forced to do anything could agitate for a move.

I have longed accepted football clubs as businesses. I feel a lot of people haven't grasped that aspect. If you owned a business and you had a scheme by the government that allows you to save money, you would do it. Business is not about morals unfortunately.

Sylar

Well, I think some won't because of the morals but some won't also, because they'll probably think of the possible backlash.

If it's about business, most sensible companies nowadays consider reputational risk and long term impacts as part of key decisions. In a world of ever increasing social media impact and a world that will (at some point) look back on big company's decisions during Covid 19, my personal opinion would be .. pay the money, the potential downside is miles higher than saving £x (or $x).

(EDIT. Honest question. Why do you think United aren't doing this? ... if it's about business? Both US billionaire owned?)
Not all business owners are the same that's why. The longer this goes on I reckon more will take it up

Btw I'm not disagreeing with you or the morality around doing it vs not doing it

I think with how it's available clubs will start taking it up

Cloud7

Well when the government brings in a law to ensure a big percentage of any transfer fee goes to the taxman don't be surprised.
And the clubs would quite rightly deserve it for this fecking travesty. Don't think football clubs realize just how difficult the government can make things for them, and they aren't like another business that can just pick up and move to another country.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I know the Liverpool fans are against it and I’m glad as I didn’t expect it from them. It’s the club I’m talking about, can see them backtracking on this decision in a few days.
The biggest surprise for me is not that Liverpool FC have behaved in a selfish and greedy corporate manner. It's that they have seemingly done so after Daniel Levy, Mike Ashley and their respective clubs have spent several days in the stocks for their selfish cuntery.

Forget decency, you'd hope that any club with a modicum of business sense and self awareness would realise the resulting bad PR wouldn't be worth the relatively paltry savings on lower paid staff.

Liverpool are now Mike Ashley. I mean fecking come on.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
From how I understand it, I really like the way they have handled this. The easy thing would have been to bow to the clubs and billionaire owners, Tory politicians and pitchfork outragers, at the expense of the NHS and society as a whole. By holding fire they now have the opportunity to financially support the wider society. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
This is spot on. Which is why Liverpool fans who were earlier saying that they hoped the players would take a cut to pay for the furloughed staff are in the wrong as well. That only benefits Liverpool the club and fecks the rest of the country over.

Skills

Snitch
"The proposed 30% salary deduction over a 12-month period equates to over £500m in wage reductions and a loss in tax contributions of over £200m to the government. What effect does this loss of earning to the government mean for the NHS? Was this considered in the Premier League proposal and did the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock factor this in when asking players to take a salary cut? "

Fantastic.

Skills

Snitch
By the way, I didn't realise the clubs were asking for a 12 month pay cut. Are they expecting there to be no football for the next 12 months? Is it going to cost them £500m to pay their non-playing staff?

This is quite obviously the clubs using this as an opportunity to save some money. feck them, the players shouldn't give up anything.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The biggest surprise for me is not that Liverpool FC have behaved in a selfish and greedy corporate manner. It's that they have seemingly done so after Daniel Levy, Mike Ashley and their respective clubs have spent several days in the stocks for their selfish cuntery.

Forget decency, you'd hope that any club with a modicum of business sense and self awareness would realise the resulting bad PR wouldn't be worth the relatively paltry savings on lower paid staff.

Liverpool are now Mike Ashley. I mean fecking come on.
It’s not Newcastle, Tottenham & Liverpool though. It’s Ashley, Levy & FSG. Rich people who don't want to lose a bit of what they have to do a lot of good.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It’s not Newcastle, Tottenham & Liverpool though. It’s Ashley, Levy & FSG. Rich people who don't want to lose a bit of what they have to do a lot of good.
I don't want to get into an essentialism debate about what makes a football club, but these are statements coming out from within the club, by people and positions high up in the organisations, about policies decided upon by these very same people and released under the football club banner.

I have no doubt that there are good individuals in all these clubs who are completely disgusted by these decisions but you can't Maxwell's Demon the corporate entity from the tradition, community contribution and abstract notions of spirit. A football club is all the good and bad it does.

RedDevil@84

It shows that the furlough laws need some caveats to be introduced.
This is just gross misuse of the law. Just couple of weeks of no football should not come to this.
I am pretty sure we ll do it too

pablotatt

It's the Job Retention Scheme. Would they be making these 200 employees redundant if they didn't furlough them? Almost definitely not. Even if it went on for 3 months, it's maximum £1.6m they'd be getting credits. One of their exec should have realised that it wasn't worth it for that cash. It's a change in contract and that's why it's difficult to request salary reductions with footballers. If they are selfish dirt bags with zero compassion, they have the financial clout to take it to court. It needs to come from the players.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It shows that the furlough laws need some caveats to be introduced.
This is just gross misuse of the law. Just couple of weeks of no football should not come to this.
I am pretty sure we ll do it too
Agree on: Liverpool is abusing the loophole in the law.

United's position so far has been the opposite of the Pools, so let's not mire our club in scouser shit, prematurely?

"Manchester United players will donate 30 per cent of their wages to local hospitals and health services in the first major coronavirus gesture from a full Premier League squad. The move was the idea of club captain Harry Maguire and was given full backing by the players, the Daily Mail reported on Friday.

United are continuing to pay all matchday staff during the crisis and have not sought to use the government’s furlough scheme to help struggling companies protect jobs."
source: https://www.telegraphindia.com/spor...in-crisis-on-coronavirus-pandemic/cid/1761842

HJ12

Because there are going to be hundreds of powerful enormous businesses abusing this. At least hundreds. That’s what happens when something like this has to be rushed through.
Very strange, seems an obvious solution to this would've been to require some sort of liquidity test/threshold that would need to be crossed before you can even consider going this route. Would automatically have kicked out all the strong businesses that would try and abuse the system.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
If Liverpool are furloughing their non-playing staff, I assume that means they will not be able to unfurlough them at a whim, so if the prem restarts before lockdown ends, in June or with a tournament, they'll have to do it without medical staff, physios etc?

Phurry

Furry Fecker
If Liverpool are furloughing their non-playing staff, I assume that means they will not be able to unfurlough them at a whim, so if the prem restarts before lockdown ends, in June or with a tournament, they'll have to do it without medical staff, physios etc?
Basically, the moment there is work for a furloughed member of staff they should be recalled and the business start paying their wages in full without government support. Using my employers for example, they’ve stated that you can do what you want (except work for them obviously) whilst on furlough, but will be available on 48hrs notice for return to work.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
I do have a question, is there no rule within UEFA about not allowing state support of clubs within their competitions? In effect, any team that takes advantage of this scheme is gaining a financial advantage in their pursuit of places within UEFA competitions.

Utdstar01

Liverpool are absolute cnuts of the highest order. Says everything you need to know about them.

arnie_ni

Very strange, seems an obvious solution to this would've been to require some sort of liquidity test/threshold that would need to be crossed before you can even consider going this route. Would automatically have kicked out all the strong businesses that would try and abuse the system.
Would slow the whole thing down to much for those that actually need it. Its slow enough as is

arnie_ni

Basically, the moment there is work for a furloughed member of staff they should be recalled and the business start paying their wages in full without government support. Using my employers for example, they’ve stated that you can do what you want (except work for them obviously) whilst on furlough, but will be available on 48hrs notice for return to work.
Its a minimum 3 weeks but after that if you have work on tuesday morning they can tell you monday night and youd have to come in id imagine

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rank from Liverpool and any other clubs that follow this line. If any club decides to furlough staff then they should be banned from making transfers when football resumes as you can in no way try to justfify spending 50m on a player after not being able to pay the staff you have clearly been able to pay throughout the whole season.

I know some people disagree with me that footballers should have to take paycuts/donate, but my issue is with every rich person, not just with the footballers. I wish for the best format of money exchange that will benefit those that need it the most. If that is in care package donations from footballers/owners/businessmen/government millionaires then that's fine. That's all I have wanted the moment I entered this thread. Every person that earns an x amount of stupid money to be donating a portion of that or taking the pay cut (as has now been shown due to tax purposes this isn't the right option) to help out those in need. All of them and I don't want that to be misconstrued that I am just attacking footballers as I do not blame them for earning that amount of money or that this situation has happened.

Skills

Snitch
Rank from Liverpool and any other clubs that follow this line. If any club decides to furlough staff then they should be banned from making transfers when football resumes as you can in no way try to justfify spending 50m on a player after not being able to pay the staff you have clearly been able to pay throughout the whole season.

I know some people disagree with me that footballers should have to take paycuts/donate, but my issue is with every rich person, not just with the footballers. I wish for the best format of money exchange that will benefit those that need it the most. If that is in care package donations from footballers/owners/businessmen/government millionaires then that's fine. That's all I have wanted the moment I entered this thread. Every person that earns an x amount of stupid money to be donating a portion of that or taking the pay cut (as has now been shown due to tax purposes this isn't the right option) to help out those in need. All of them and I don't want that to be misconstrued that I am just attacking footballers as I do not blame them for earning that amount of money or that this situation has happened.
There's a huge, huge difference between donating & taking a pay cut. I'm one of those guys, who's been strongly against the players taking paycuts to save the clubs cash but I also want them donating equivalent amount to charity while football is down.

TheReligion

Abusive
"The proposed 30% salary deduction over a 12-month period equates to over £500m in wage reductions and a loss in tax contributions of over £200m to the government. What effect does this loss of earning to the government mean for the NHS? Was this considered in the Premier League proposal and did the Health Secretary, Matt Hancock factor this in when asking players to take a salary cut? "

Fantastic.
Ermmm why not just take it from their take home pay as opposed to pre tax?

I'm not great with numbers but have a missed something here.