PL Title Race

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Why would things change once Pep's gone?
Surely they'd go after another top notch manager, plus their squad is way too good as it is and their bankroll is unlimited?
This is true. They may not get the consecutive league titles like pep has gotten, but every manager they've had has won the PL and this will carry on post pep.

Banana Republic

Surely they'd go after another top notch manager, plus their squad is way too good as it is and their bankroll is unlimited?
Indeed. The owner (s) are in it for the long haul, with the ultimate aim of creating a global football brand.
City are their jewel in the crown at the moment, but they also own 9 other clubs in the City Football Group portfolio, some of which are being developed as academy clubs and others they hope to grow into successful clubs in their regions, as the football market expands globally.
They now also have Chinese and American investment and co-ownership, with 12% Chinese ownership, which is expected to grow.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
When you actually go through our squad player by player there are very few who are considered the best in the league at their position and many aren't even seen as top 2 or 3. It's Pep making this side so dominant.

The only time our players are called the best in the league is when people want to use it as an argument that Pep's got it easy, ironically.

SER19

Guys remember not to remind city fans of what they've spent, squad depth, talent of squad and where the money comes from. Its not fair to do so and it makes you look bitter. They've had a remarkable rise and are grinding out another title like arsenal 97/98 or united 95/96

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
United don't on the basis that they start Fred and McTominay, Maguire and Wan Bissaka...those are serious weaknesses at the level we're talking about
McTominay sure, but all those other guys were highly rated players, Pep/City themselves wanted Fred and Maguire. When so many talented and highly rated players go to United and all seem to perform poorly I don't think we can blame all this on the quality of players solely.

They are actually. They're a level above
Are they? Or are they playing under a better attacking system and generally a better manager?

How would you judge quality if not performance? :confused:
Performance is also influenced by a team set up and manager, no? Do we think Tuchel so far is getting the best out of all his players? Do we feel his system fits all of them? Remember Rodri? Here and on various other different sites I remember people taking the piss out of him and how City massively downgraded and Pep had a another flop signing...did Pep not adjust his system to fit Rodri in better? Who is now the best or one the best DM in the PL.

Stones would improve United, yeah. Chelsea and Liverpool are also really strong at CB. Matip and a Gomez are great CBs too
He wouldn't. Stones is no different to Lindelof, if they can't get him to perform in that set up they won't get Stones too imo.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Chelsea and United are of course different, it's a more interesting comparison as they spend similarly to City, but they've had various issues, not least of all poor managers and I'm United's case a lot of poor singings. Tuchel has been there what, less than a year? Even Klopp and Pep took a while to get going. That said of course credit does go to Pep for the way City play week in week out.

But I think you'd be hard stretched to argue United's first XI is close to City's. Chelsea's does come close but they've had like 10 absentees over the last couple of games including most of their strike force, hence the dropped points. I think only Chelsea's first XI and Liverpool's first XI can keep pace with City, Chelsea have sufficient depth to do it over a season but Liverpool don't.

On Liverpool's spending - the past two summers come out to £40m spending each. Hardly anything amazing. City in comparison spent £100m on Grealish this summer, and about £140m on Ruben Dias, Ake, Torres and a couple of others (net spend comes to £90m). Hardly an equitable comparison. As ive said the net spend difference in 4 years is about £400m - that's 8 extra £50m players for the squad, and it shows.

Again I'm not saying it's the only reason City win, it's not, but it does help them. SAF used to do the same thing. In 2007 he signed Tevez, Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves. I doubt anyone else came close to spending as much that summer as we did.
Oh I agree, context is very important, Pep has been here for what now 6 seasons? It's obvious he understand the league and his squad much better when they've mostly spent 5-6 years together, at the same time since he already has a championship built team, its simply now just plugging in holes with transfer going forward for them. In comparison to United and Chelsea, however this shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with, he's been there long enough because he's earned the trust of the higher up and has delivered for them hence he's been there thus far.

It's hard to gouge at United squad because they barely had a WC manager post Fergie, when about 80%-90% of players who were highly rated or done well at there respect club prior to the move all turn out to be bad I feel the problem is also elsewhere. Pep and Klopp I believe have shown that despite having talented/good players, you need the right manager to bring it all together. When you look at Pep he either likes to bring in versatile players, or mold certain players into it, Cancelo is a RB, yet Pep has utilized him as a LB plenty of times, Foden was a midfielder, yet he's being used as a winger/false 9, Even de Bryune played false 9 in the CL against Dortmund and PSG. This is a big part of his depth, as his team is the most versatile team out there.

I'm not denying net spent plays a part or Pep net spend is higher my main argument there was that Klopp/Pool were improving there squad over that time without losing any quality, just because they didn't spend as much as City doesn't mean the team didn't improve/strength. The way people are talking as if Pool quality has been dropping.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Similar to why Chelsea fall off after Mou left, they've won 5 league titles, 3 of those were under Mou. Quality of the manager plays a big part, Pep has a lot of say control at City and he works with his friend. Another manager won't have the same luxury and they will have to deal with player egos. Pep told Rio that the player at City know he's bigger then them, if they come out of line the board will back him. I don't think any other managers will get that pull.

Nicolarra90

Because they nailed the manager of this generation, like we did with SAF. Every other manager is a worse option, even Klopp. The only way is down for them, unless Pep stayed another 5-10 years until the new best manager arises and they bedded him in (what SAF should have done with Pep).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
On the one hand, from a purely footballing perspective, City play beautiful football and are just an amazing, relentless, and entertaining team. With a superb manager and set up.

On the other hand, they have a grotty, small fan base, and none of their accomplishments mean anything because it’s all been fuelled by financial doping on an unprecedented, biblical scale, likely outside the rules, and from a foul, human rights abusing source.

Easy come, easy go.

Josh 76

Can see City dropping point against Arsenal and Liverpool wining at Chelsea. Liverpool will then be 6 points behind City with a game in hand. Title race far from over.

twitter thread suggester
Can see City dropping point against Arsenal and Liverpool wining at Chelsea. Liverpool will then be 6 points behind City with a game in hand. Title race far from over.
City will beat Arsenal 4-1

Sviken

Liverpool are too inconsistent for me. They've managed to scrape by a few times to teams they should be beating comfortably and that's not a good sign. Their players are also aging and have a board not willing to spend in order to booster the squad. If this dosen't get fixed in the next season, I see another Dortmund final season situation looming over Klopp.

TheLiverBird

Liverpool are too inconsistent for me. They've managed to scrape by a few times to teams they should be beating comfortably and that's not a good sign. Their players are also aging and have a board not willing to spend in order to booster the squad. If this dosen't get fixed in the next season, I see another Dortmund final season situation looming over Klopp.
Abit early for that kind of talk don’t you think?

Even if City runaway with the league this season I’d think most would agree Liverpool are still “one” of the favourites for the CL and are currently in a SF for domestic Cup

League aside it could still be a glitteringly incredible season for Liverpool.

I still don’t think the league is gone but if I were too bet….of course you’d have to say City

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I can see City beating Arsenal and Chelsea beating Liverpool. Liverpool would then be 12 behind and the title race is done...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
have you got the lotto numbers as well?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
City always give arsenal a good beating. I also think Chelsea can definitely get something against Liverpool, Liverpool struggle playing against 3/5 at the back formations because it cuts out there full backs which is where most of there work comes from.

McGrathsipan

Abit early for that kind of talk don’t you think?

Even if City runaway with the league this season I’d think most would agree Liverpool are still “one” of the favourites for the CL and are currently in a SF for domestic Cup

League aside it could still be a glitteringly incredible season for Liverpool.

I still don’t think the league is gone but if I were too bet….of course you’d have to say City
Sadly I would expect Liverpool to be in with a huge shout of the CL. Deffo last four if not final. Then anything can happen.

City are just relentless and I think by the time the weekend is over they could have one hand on the trophy if they win against Arsenal.

McGrathsipan

City always give arsenal a good beating. I also think Chelsea can definitely get something against Liverpool, Liverpool struggle playing against 3/5 at the back formations because it cuts out there full backs which is where most of there work comes from.
Chelsea are struggling massively at the minute. Great time to be playing them.

I'd prefer to face them this weekend than Brentford

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It is the incredible consistency of Manchester City that the other teams are struggling to match. Especially during the Christmas period.
And that consistency is down to the high level of training and coaching processes that Pep has implemented. And of course the competition for places.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Guys remember not to remind city fans of what they've spent, squad depth, talent of squad and where the money comes from. Its not fair to do so and it makes you look bitter. They've had a remarkable rise and are grinding out another title like arsenal 97/98 or united 95/96
The best thing about our success is watching hateful people cry. Now I know why you guys enjoyed it so much...
If only all £900m squads performed the way City do the league would be great, sadly your own club are going out of their way to show you can spend City like money and still play like a squad that cost less than Pogba.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
City have moved up to a seemingly unreachable level. I remember early on not being convinced they'll finish above both Liverpool and Chelsea. Title race over.

Cloud7

In terms of league football Pep is probably the best manager I've ever seen. The way he trains his team and sets the up derives an insane level of consistency from them. There is no one player who is key to how they play, all the parts are interchangeable and there is no drop off. It really is incredible.

The guy has created such a stranglehold on the the league that almost any dropped points are like a nail in the coffin of trying to catch them.

Yes City will undoubtedly continue to be good after he's gone, and they will get another good manager in, but there is no manager in world football who can match the sort of performance Pep gets out of all his players. There will be an inevitable drop off. Hopefully we can capitalize on it rather than Liverpool.

SER19

The best thing about our success is watching hateful people cry. Now I know why you guys enjoyed it so much...
If only all £900m squads performed the way City do the league would be great, sadly your own club are going out of their way to show you can spend City like money and still play like a squad that cost less than Pogba.
While it's quite sad it doesn't surprise me that the best thing about city's success for you is how it bothers other people, given how hollow the actual success is. Fake club. Trust me, our success was too different to yours for you to 'know' anything about what it feels like. You're a middle east toy, plucked from a hat and pumped with the dirtiest money on the planet, celebrating being a propaganda tool for a frankly horrific country

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I agree, this isn't such an improbable scenario. Unfortunately what is more predictable is that we will draw that game in hand with Leeds 3-3.

tomaldinho1

This is true. They may not get the consecutive league titles like pep has gotten, but every manager they've had has won the PL and this will carry on post pep.
Exactly and I don’t see any reason they won’t be better in the future. I’m genuinely surprised when you look at the draws they’ve had and the big European teams imploding that they haven’t, at minimum, done a PL and CL double.

One thing I don’t know if people are factoring in though is football participation is waning year on year amongst children and has plummeted amongst adults. Football as we know it probably won’t exist in the relatively near future with the rise of VR, metaverse is coming and generally how kids are moving more and more towards gaming and the online world. If one team just wins the PL every year, outspends everyone and there’s no real competition, that’s only going to speed up the move away from football.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
When you actually go through our squad player by player there are very few who are considered the best in the league at their position and many aren't even seen as top 2 or 3. It's Pep making this side so dominant.

The only time our players are called the best in the league is when people want to use it as an argument that Pep's got it easy, ironically.
This is actually very true. The narrative is usually that most City players only look good because of Pep's system. And at the same time, City has a squad full of world class players, so of course any manager could do what Pep is doing at City.

It's easier to just laugh at the inconsistencies in logic.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Best squad we’ve had in 30 years at the very least and we have to come up against Pep. Think his departure is going to coincide with our side dropping off too, so unless we massively invest and get the right man in we’re not even going to be able to take advantage of it. Thoroughly enjoyed it but my word it would have been nice to have 2-3 titles rather than likely just the one.

They’ve won what 4/5? 5/6 once this season is done. It’s a dynasty.

Does help being financially insulated against every problem a regular club going through the season experiences.

Gandalf

City have moved up to a seemingly unreachable level. I remember early on not being convinced they'll finish above both Liverpool and Chelsea. Title race over.
They are favourites right now but no way is the title race over. Liverpool didn't lose at Anfield for something insane like 2+ years and then lost there 3 times in a row in January. Chelsea were going to win the league and possibly retain the CL in November and now they can't buy a win and Tuchel is supposedly getting sacked. I know Pep is far safer and City have a much longer track record of success but change comes quickly and a couple of key injuries and a shitty patch of form and City can easily drop a bunch of points.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To put it into perspective: 50 points out of 60. If they go 40 out of 54 from here to the end of the season, that's 90 points. It means liverpool would need to pick up 49 points from 57 from here on out just to match that and hope to win on GD. For Chelsea it's 48 from 54. Arsenal? 55 from 57. Spurs 60 from 66. United 62 from 66

It's over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The major difference of course, is that our rivals hated us winning, as it meant something, and the press lavished us with attention.

You'll win 4 in 5 league titles, and you don't get anywhere near the same reaction.
In fact, a lot of United fans are actually willing you to win over Liverpool, as your wins don't really hurt at all.

Take that one Pool win in 30 years. That was a KILLER. You lot winning ten in 15 years won't even register.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Best squad we’ve had in 30 years at the very least and we have to come up against Pep. Think his departure is going to coincide with our side dropping off too, so unless we massively invest and get the right man in we’re not even going to be able to take advantage of it. Thoroughly enjoyed it but my word it would have been nice to have 2-3 titles rather than likely just the one.

Does help being financially insulated against every problem a regular club going through the season experiences.
Your 4 year spell is quite similar to United in Europe over that 2008-2012 sort of period.

We could easily have won 3 or 4 Euro cups over that period, but instead were unfortunate to play one of the best teams ever in Barcelona and lose 2 finals, and then have that Rafael red/Rooney injury madness when it was there to be won without Barcelona being in the way.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
We’re a bit too reliant on Thiago it seems. Our win rate with him is 100% this season. Without him it’s 36%. Not signing a Wijnaldum replacement has hurt us.

I know it’s frustrating but I do think it’s going to be easier to have a one off season once Pep goes. City won’t get someone better than him so won’t be guaranteed over 80 points every season. You don’t have SAF guaranteeing you have to overcome United every season and Chelsea don’t do long title winning runs. They usually win one and drop off.

It feels like the Premier League post-Guardiola is very unpredictable. It just depends what direction we go post Klopp. If it’s Gerrard then we’ll need patience.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
The major difference of course, is that our rivals hated us winning, as it meant something, and the press lavished us with attention.

You'll win 4 in 5 league titles, and you don't get anywhere near the same reaction.
In fact, a lot of United fans are actually willing you to win over Liverpool, as your wins don't really hurt at all.

Take that one Pool win in 30 years. That was a KILLER. You lot winning ten in 15 years won't even register.
Yet another United fan making our own successes about them. As if we care what you think about what we’re doing. Your self importance and arrogance never ceases to amaze me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yet another United fan making our own successes about them. As if we care what you think about what we’re doing. Your self importance and arrogance never ceases to amaze me.
You know, there's probably a Man City forum out there where you can glory in what you're doing.
As no-one on here, or probably any other forum sees it as anything special in the circumstances.

Last edited:

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
You know, there's probably a Man City forum out there where you can glory in what you're doing.
As no-one on here, or probably any other forum sees it as anything special in the circumstances.
And there are plenty of other threads on this forum where you could choose to spend your time rather than emphasising your supposed lack of care for City’s achievements here. Irony is a funny thing.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I mean he’s not wrong. I’d rather see City win 10 in a row over United winning their 21st. That’s just the nature of our rivalry.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
I mean he’s not wrong. I’d rather see City win 10 in a row over United winning their 21st. That’s just the nature of our rivalry.
I don’t deny that, nor am I trying to dispute that United and Liverpool’s rivalry is more potent than either’s with City. But when a fan of either team pops up on a thread about us (or in this case, a thread about a topic that directly affects us) and they actively feel the urge to emphasise how little they care about our achievements, I find it hard to believe anything they say.