Plans "in place" for Fergie retirement.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I had the same dreams about Steve Bruce. In my dream he won the Europa Cup with Sunderland & marched into OT with SAF's blessing to start a new dynasty...:(
Colin, a wee bit of respect for a club legend would be nice.

Some of the posters on here need to learn a wee bit of respect for this clubs history. I have no problem with people saying they don't want a former great managing the club but it would be nice if they could have manners in saying it.

Bread

Some of the posters on here need to learn a wee bit of respect for this clubs history. I have no problem with people saying they don't want a former great managing the club but it would be nice if they could have manners in saying it.
Steve Bruce has a massive head.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Eh? :confused:

I would absolutely love Steve Bruce to manage United, but I can see that's never going to happen.

Forevergiggs

Why would OGS want to be an assistant when he is already a manager and, if papers are to be believed, getting plenty of chances to manage in England?

Brightonian

Didn't realize so many caftards are psychologists.

According to the caf criteria no manager is good enough to replace SAF. No breaks given. We'll turn into the current Liverpool side.
I don't think that's true. No-one's saying they don't think any of the candidates are good enough. It's just that there's no consensus, so everyone's criticising everyone else's suggestions.

My top four candidates, in order of preference, would go like this:

Guardiola
Klopp
Mourinho
Solskjaer

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Why would OGS want to be an assistant when he is already a manager and, if papers are to be believed, getting plenty of chances to manage in England?
Manager at Molde is not the same as working at United.

Not saying it will happen but for me it would be a great combo of Guardiola and OGS.

Forevergiggs

Manager at Molde is not the same as working at United.

Not saying it will happen but for me it would be a great combo of Guardiola and OGS.
How do you know? Have you worked at either?

He is manager who has done well with Molde and it seems was sought after by certain PL and championship clubs for their managerial vacancies. Why would he want to come here and become second fiddle to Pep? I could have understood he become an assistant to Fergie before his move but don't see it happening now.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So who is going to replace Fergie once he retires? By the time this summer comes, the three candidates that he identified will probably be out of the question. Mourinho and Guardiola will be joining other clubs where they will probably stay for a long time, whilst it looks increasingly likely that Moyes will move on.

You'd like to think we've some sort of plan in place, but it seemingly doesn't involve these three, especially Mourinho and Pep.

kps88

It's impossible to have plans in place if we don't know when he's going to retire. You can't ask managers to wait around doing nothing just in case SAF decides to call it a day.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's impossible to have plans in place if we don't know when he's going to retire. You can't ask managers to wait around doing nothing just in case SAF decides to call it a day.
Exactly.

It could be another couple of years and that's a long time in football.

Untied

So who is going to replace Fergie once he retires? By the time this summer comes, the three candidates that he identified will probably be out of the question. Mourinho and Guardiola will be joining other clubs where they will probably stay for a long time, whilst it looks increasingly likely that Moyes will move on.

You'd like to think we've some sort of plan in place, but it seemingly doesn't involve these three, especially Mourinho and Pep.
Giggs

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Guardiola and Ole would be a terrific combination

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
The plan the last time he was going to retire was Sven Goran Eriksson. I see no reason to change that plan
I agree - this club sticks by the decisions it makes, if it was Sven then it should be Sven now. It's the honourable thing to do.

Liam147

On Probation
So say Fergie stays three more years. Pep and Mourinho would've had three years at their clubs. Mourinho had three last time and Guardiola had four. It's not unrealistic to think that Mourinho (or Guardiola) would be at United come the end of Fergie's tenure. Hell, Ole might've even made strides in those three years.

And would people never ever mention David fecking Moyes as a potential candidate for the United job.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Let's assume we've another two years of Ferguson...

Mourinho, if he goes to Chelsea in the summer there's no chance. If not, then I'd suspect he's lined himself up for the United job.

Guardiola, I'd expect him to do at least three years at Bayern, and after that he may take another break from football. So probably not him.

Klopp, he will more than likely move on from Dortmund in the next few years, and he has expressed an interest in managing in England. Currently likely.

Solskjær, still a massive ask to jump from Norwegian football to Manchester United. I still think United will not move for him directly from Norway, but rather wait to see how he does in his next job, wherever that may be. Definitely could be one for the future, but it may be too early for him to succeed Ferguson.

Giggs, think he's an interesting proposition. But the lack of experience is worrying there too. So, like Solskjær, I'd expect him to have to gain experience elsewhere before getting the chance at United. Then again, he could be another Guardiola, we just don't know.

Villas-Boas, if Tottenham progress and cement a place in the top four, then he's an outside possibility.

99 red balloons

Let's assume we've another two years of Ferguson...

Mourinho, if he goes to Chelsea in the summer there's no chance. If not, then I'd suspect he's lined himself up for the United job.

Guardiola, I'd expect him to do at least three years at Bayern, and after that he may take another break from football. So probably not him.

Klopp, he will more than likely move on from Dortmund in the next few years, and he has expressed an interest in managing in England. Currently likely.

Solskjær, still a massive ask to jump from Norwegian football to Manchester United. I still think United will not move for him directly from Norway, but rather wait to see how he does in his next job, wherever that may be. Definitely could be one for the future, but it may be too early for him to succeed Ferguson.

Giggs, think he's an interesting proposition. But the lack of experience is worrying there too. So, like Solskjær, I'd expect him to have to gain experience elsewhere before getting the chance at United. Then again, he could be another Guardiola, we just don't know.

Villas-Boas, if Tottenham progress and cement a place in the top four, then he's an outside possibility.
It's impossible to create lists like this with any real degree of long-term accuracy. Guarantee if you'd have made it two years ago, looking two years ahead, it would have had Martin O'Neil and David Moyes on it and Klopp nowhere near, 3/4 years ago Roy Keane...etc

Yes, a few of those names are likely to be in the mix in a couple of years, if that's when it is, but I'd say there'd be a good few new ones as well...

KiD MoYeS

It's impossible to create lists like this with any real degree of long-term accuracy. Guarantee if you'd have made it two years ago, looking two years ahead, it would have had Martin O'Neil and David Moyes on it and Klopp nowhere near, 3/4 years ago Roy Keane...etc

Yes, a few of those names are likely to be in the mix in a couple of years, if that's when it is, but I'd say there'd be a good few new ones as well...
Yeah, pretty much. But, the successor to Ferguson will more than likely have been touted for a few seasons, not just on one successful season.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think if Mourinho goes to Chelsea, then its goodbye United. He aint taking over from Fergie. Assuming Fergie stays for another couple of years as in retires in 2015, then Guardiola would have stayed at Bayern for only two years. Hence I cant see him coming either. Klopp has his own project going on at Dortmund but he did say he wasnt interested in staying in one place for a long time. Its not a question of if Klopp will be ready, because I think he already is but the question is, is he interested in managing United?

KiD MoYeS

I think if Mourinho goes to Chelsea, then its goodbye United. He aint taking over from Fergie. Assuming Fergie stays for another couple of years as in retires in 2015, then Guardiola would have stayed at Bayern for only two years. Hence I cant see him coming either. Klopp has his own project going on at Dortmund but he did say he wasnt interested in staying in one place for a long time. Its not a question of if Klopp will be ready, because I think he already is but the question is, is he interested in managing United?
He has expressed a slight interest in managing in England in an interview he did with the BBC, so yeah.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Same. I hope it's him. Great tactics, very likeable character.
I simply love the way his team set up. They are strong, press with a real urgency, and attack with both quality passing AND a high tempo. It's sort of the best of both of the last mentioned worlds for me. It's not short passing with a majority of aimless ones, and it's not high tempo stuff that focuses entirely on width and not on passing through teams.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Fergie is retiring this summer, its likely that Mourinho and Mendes know about it and would suggest Joe-Say would come to OT rather than Chelsea. Even if he goes to Chelsea, he would almost certainly leave after a year or two and come to OT once Fergie eventually retires.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mourinho to Chelsea seems a done thing. He went out of his way to mention that one club in particular in England love him. And there's only one club in England that love him.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Probably someone like Nick Powell or Chris Smalling...........purely as Fergie will be around another 30 years!

It is a tough call. It depends what the board/chairman think. Do they want someone who is connected to United in someway and understands the philosophy? Or will they take a risk and bring in a well known manager and allow a fresh handling on the club.

Personally I think it will be a former player/coach with us. It is more important for someone who already understands our direction and goals, the background work going on and all that, rather than bring in someone with a name and leave them try branch off from the Fergie years. By the looks of it, Fergie will leave us in good shape once he steps down, he is building for this day. The stability will be good, someone who knows the drill can slide in then.

Zen86

I'd say all signs point to Guardiola.

He wants to come to England and could've walked into either City or Chelsea if he really wanted to this summer. Fergie's still at United for another few years, so I won't be surprised at all if his retirement coincides with Guardiola leaving Bayern.