Platini arrested - suspicions of corruption in the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
There is no better country in the world to host the World Cup than England, it baffles me that it's simply not awarded there instead of Qatar
England weren't up against Qatar

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

FIFA better hope the situation with Iran is entirely neutralised before serious preparation for 2022 world cup begins.

Can't see how any country potentially involved in further military against Iran in the near future could then safely play a world cup in Qatar given the proximity and risk of reprisal. Not even withstanding all the other issues in the region.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There is no better country in the world to host the World Cup than England, it baffles me that it's simply not awarded there instead of Qatar
Qatar is an absurd example, but I don’t think that FIFA’s original idea of moving it around the globe & giving it to developing countries is a bad idea. Quite the opposite. Otherwise you can do a World Cup in England/USA every four years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Qatar is an absurd example, but I don’t think that FIFA’s original idea of moving it around the globe & giving it to developing countries is a bad idea. Quite the opposite. Otherwise you can do a World Cup in England/USA every four years.
The problem is that if I'm not mistaken the costs aren't on FIFA which means that no developing countries that isn't China or one of the oil countries can/should organize it. Their money should be spent on other areas that are a lot more vital than football.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The problem is that if I'm not mistaken the costs aren't on FIFA which means that no developing countries that isn't China or one of the oil countries can/should organize it. Their money should be spent on other areas that are a lot more vital than football.
This is the reason why I could never get on board with their mantra of "giving it to developing countries" - it's just a ruse to pull the wool over peoples eyes while they collect their back handed envelopes.

harms

Staff
Yeah, that's fair. It's a hard topic in Russia though, even the genuine costs aside, to think how many billions were stolen during the construction... but then they would've found a way to stole them anyway, it's not like those funds would've realistically gone to pensions & stuff :lol:

harms

Staff
This is the reason why I could never get on board with their mantra of "giving it to developing countries" - it's just a ruse to pull the wool over peoples eyes while they collect their back handed envelopes.
FIFA's motivation is not the economic growth of said countries. Well, the apparent motivation, envelopes play their part too. It's growing the interest in football in younger generations — and those World Cups achieve that goal quite effectively.

JPRouve

Scout
FIFA's motivation is not the economic growth of said countries. Well, the apparent motivation, envelopes play their part too. It's growing the interest in football in younger generations — and those World Cups achieve that goal quite effectively.
I think that this goal could and should be achieved through youth competitions who are a lot less costly than the big one and even then it should be mainly financed by the FIFA. The senior World Cup is just a burden on the organizer, whoever that is, even for countries like the UK, France or Germany who have the money and the infrastructure available at all time. And to think that we are organizing the Olympics and the Rugby WC in the next 5 years after organizing the FIFA WC and the Euro, we bribed the entire planet for that.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Definitely not.

But - Qatar is an absurd idea and shows how corrupt FIFA was and is.

Just as a recap.

Qatar submitted a bid to host a summer world cup in 2022. They won that bid.

FIFA's technical team looked at Qatar and decided that a Summer World Cup there would endanger the lives of fans.

FIFA decided rather than admitting that the process of awarding a Summer World Cup to a country that couldn't host a Summer World Cup was flawed, they would simply move the Summer World Cup to Winter.

The USA (who lost out to Qatar in the final round) was seriously considering fighting FIFA over this decision.

US broadcaster FOX Sport had already paid $1bn for the rights to broadcast the two world cups even before the decision to move the world cup to winter had been made.

As a back room apoligy, FIFA awards the rights to the 2026 world cup to the 2022 world cup broadcasters in a private deal. No bidding took place.

This was 3 years before it was decided where the 2026 world cup would even take place.

For the 2026 tournament, there were only two bids. One from Moroco, one a joint bid from USA-Canada-Mexico. This was after joint bids had been re-allowed for the 2026 tournament.

The USA won the bid easily.

Corrupt, corrupt, corrupt, corrupt.

harms

Staff
I think that this goal could and should be achieved through youth competitions who are a lot less costly than the big one and even then it should be mainly financed by the FIFA. The senior World Cup is just a burden on the organizer, whoever that is, even for countries like the UK, France or Germany who have the money and the infrastructure available at all time. And to think that we are organizing the Olympics and the Rugby WC in the next 5 years after organizing the FIFA WC and the Euro, we bribed the entire planet for that.
I don't think that even multiple youth competitions can achieve the same effect. World Cup affects the whole country, including those who were never interested in sport in the first place. In the financial aspect, I completely agree with you.

JPRouve

Scout
A small remark about something that bothers me, FIFA being corrupted is barely debatable but I'm a bit tired of people acting as if the corrupter didn't exist. All our countries bribed FIFA to win the bids, we all cheated.

Denis' cuff

Absurd point.

Stadia
Football culture
Security
Transport
Hospitality

All in place now without having to lift a finger

Ludicrous that neither of footballs corrupt ruling bodies have awarded the competition to England when several, without England's level of pedigree have hosted it twice since England last did.

Denis' cuff

A small remark about something that bothers me, FIFA being corrupted is barely debatable but I'm a bit tired of people acting as if the corrupter didn't exist. All our countries bribed FIFA to win the bids, we all cheated.

Speak for yourself. We know.

England haven't been chosen to host it because they didn't cheat.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absurd point.

Stadia
Football culture
Security
Transport
Hospitality

Ludicrous that neither of footballs corrupt ruling bodies have awarded the competition to England when several, without England's level of pedigree have hosted it twice since England last did.
There is plenty of football culture outside England you know. Might come as a surprise to some but it's not the centre of the footballing universe. Whilst there are always some struggles in completing the infrastructure, the hosts always manage to get it finished on time. We've only had Qatar who had allegations of human rights abuses and slave labour when buildings stadia and training complexes etc. Apart from that, I think everything went as well as one could have in every world cup I can remember. Having it in UK, France, Spain, Germany every time would be incredibly boring.

We've also had security concerns in Russia and in fact a lot was said about hosting the World Cup in Russia, only for it to turn out one of best, safest, most entertaining tournaments in decades.

Last edited:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

We did cheat, we just didn't cheat well enough.

Not remember the friendly against Trinidad and Tobago to bribe Jack Warner for instance?

JPRouve

Scout

We all cheat, winners and losers. That's the way FIFA and the Olympic committee works.

JPRouve

Scout

Not remember the friendly against Trinidad and Tobago to bribe Jack Warner for instance?
The man miraculously did a 180 regarding England hosting a WC. :lol:

harms

Staff
Absurd point.

Stadia
Football culture
Security
Transport
Hospitality

(Obvious) corruption aside, it's the official politics of FIFA. It's not absurd, it prioritises different criteria first, even though you're free to disagree with their view. FIFA is obviously more interested in discovering new markets for football all over the world than it is in honouring England's football heritage.

harms

Staff

Denis' cuff

fecking hell pal. If that's what you call cheating, we've a long way to go to get good at it

We all cheat, winners and losers. That's the way FIFA and the Olympic committee works.

Still no evidence

Can't remember which Italian manager said England will never win a World Cup until,they learn the dark arts

DRM

Has anyone seen Gary Neville's documentary on the Qatar world cup?

Revan

Assumptionman

England cheated too, but didn't cheat that much. Still, it isn't like they lost against unknown countries. They lost against Germany in 2006 (a country with as good infrastructure) after pissing off UEFA and Germany when England broke they deal (Germany supports them and drops from Euro 96, while England drops for WC2006). It also was mentioned from many people in the process that England had a very extreme arrogant attitude during the process, essentially pissing off everyone. They lost against Russia in 2018, and from all accounts, England had a superb bid. However, Russia is a big country that has never hosted the World Cup before. So even here, it can be legitimately argued that the correct decision was taken.

Qatar winning it in 2022 was more absurd though. They didn't have any infrastructure, it is a tiny country and the competition has to be played in the winter. Should have been Australia, or if not them, then US.

England will win it next time it comes to Europe, providing that they make a good bid. All European big countries bar Turkey have hosted a World Cup later than England, so all things considering, it might be England's turn. If Turkey makes a good bid, it might be problematic, but with the geopolitical situation, I cannot see them getting a World Cup. Heck, the poor feckers couldn't even get Euro 2020 despite that no country wanted to host it.

JPRouve

Scout
England cheated too, but didn't cheat that much. Still, it isn't like they lost against unknown countries. They lost against Germany in 2006 (a country with as good infrastructure) after pissing off UEFA and Germany when England broke they deal (Germany supports them and drops from Euro 96, while England drops for WC2006). It also was mentioned from many people in the process that England had a very extreme arrogant attitude during the process, essentially pissing off everyone. They lost against Russia in 2018, and from all accounts, England had a superb bid. However, Russia is a big country that has never hosted the World Cup before. So even here, it can be legitimately argued that the correct decision was taken.

Qatar winning it in 2022 was more absurd though. They didn't have any infrastructure, it is a tiny country and the competition has to be played in the winter. Should have been Australia, or if not them, then US.

England will win it next time it comes to Europe, providing that they make a good bid. All European big countries bar Turkey have hosted a World Cup later than England, so all things considering, it might be England's turn. If Turkey makes a good bid, it might be problematic, but with the geopolitical situation, I cannot see them getting a World Cup. Heck, the poor feckers couldn't even get Euro 2020 despite that no country wanted to host it.
It should go to Belgium-Netherland before England. :angel:

Edit: England can have it 2066.

Revan

Assumptionman
It should go to Belgium-Netherland before England. :angel:

Edit: England can have it 2066.
Actually the rules have changed now, and there is no guaranteed spots for any confederation (only that the last two who hosted it cannot host it again). Uruguay-Argentina-Paraguay-Chile joined bid has its charm, S. America has not hosted a World Cup since 2014 (compared to Europe since 2018) and being the centennial of the first world cup, it makes sense to have it in Uruguay, right? As a bonus, Englishmen will lose their shit again and go all 'conspiracy, conspiracy'.

JPRouve

Scout
Actually the rules have changed now, and there is no guaranteed spots for any confederation (only that the last two who hosted it cannot host it again). Uruguay-Argentina-Paraguay-Chile joined bid has its charm, S. America has not hosted a World Cup since 2014 (compared to Europe since 2018) and being the centennial of the first world cup, it makes sense to have it in Uruguay, right? As a bonus, Englishmen will lose their shit again and go all 'conspiracy, conspiracy'.
On a more serious note, a WC in England would be nice, PL stadiums are great, the camera angles are great, it's easily accessible from Europe, it's a multicultural country so almost every country will have a local fanbase and they are the ones paying for it.

Revan

Assumptionman
On a more serious note, a WC in England would be nice, PL stadiums are great, the camera angles are great, it's easily accessible from Europe, it's a multicultural country so almost every country will have a local fanbase and they are the ones paying for it.
Yeah, if it happens in Europe, the UK-Ireland joined bid hopefully wins it. The Greece-Bulgaria-Romania-Serbia bid won't be taken seriously from anyone, and it is not clear if Spain-Portugal will bid or not. Also, UEFA president seems to favour UK's potential bid.

The South American bid can be problematic though for UK. It can be a very good bid. If I would attend the World Cup I would much rather attend it in S. America to be fair.

2034 will be almost impossible to get if China bids. All Africa will vote for them, and Africa has so many countries.

harms

Staff
Has anyone seen Gary Neville's documentary on the Qatar world cup?
I loved his summary after the bit about the dead workers. “I choose to believe in good in people” :lol:

Oranges038

That settles that then. A great pair of lads who just had the best interests of football at heart. Just a shame they had to be dragged through the courts. A disgrace really for two legends of the game to be put through the ringer like that. It won't be easy, but hopefully they can get over it and move on with their lives.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Justice prevailed.
Now, all is set for Saudi Arabia to pick up a WC. For the good cause of promoting football in the region, of course.