Platini arrested - suspicions of corruption in the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It's the winter WC. It's potty and always was. I imagine that if it does go ahead in Qatar, attendances will be poor. Can't believe they'll muster enough local support to fill up the grounds.

Edit: Actually, it's the Autumn WC as the final is played three days before the winter solstice.
So many better and logical options and they choose a dessert that has no clue what football even is.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Qatar does not give a feck about football and did not even have the proper conditions to host a World Cup what so ever. It was corruption and scandal that got them to host it. That was my point.
What does this mean? How does a country not give a feck about football? It can be argued the U.S. gives less of a feck about sawker and they hosted a WC.

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes, but who would have bunged Blatter and his mates as much cash as Qatar did. It's a total sportswash job.
The next good World Cup will probably be the one held in US, Mexico, and Canada. So much potential to break many records and it is easy for traveling Fans to get too. Too bad we have to wait 8 years for it.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
What does this mean? How does a country not give a feck about football? It can be argued the U.S. gives less of a feck about sawker and they hosted a WC.
Average attendance for matches in Qatar is less than in Iceland.

SportingCP96

Supports
Soccer as they call it was and still is a hugely growing Sport in the states and it made perfect sense for them tp host it and that World Cup brought the most revenue to this date. They have and had the infrastructures and everything to host it and that was then....imagine now.

Comparing Qatar to the states is a dumb comparison. It is not there main Sport what's so ever and the locals dont give a feck about it.

The United States has a constant growing interest in the Sport and it will only get bigger and better there.

Moriarty

The next good World Cup will probably be the one held in US, Mexico, and Canada. So much potential to break many records and it is easy for traveling Fans to get too. Too bad we have to wait 8 years for it.
Qatar might still get the chop. I hope so. Spain/Portugal or England would be a great alternative and wouldn't cause too many problems to arrange at short notice. The Germans could do it too, as could the French, but they've both hosted recent tournaments so I'd go for one of the former. I don't think FIFA would consider England though.

SportingCP96

Supports
Qatar might still get the chop. I hope so. Spain/Portugal or England would be a great alternative and wouldn't cause too many problems to arrange at short notice. The Germans could do it too, as could the French, but they've both hosted recent tournaments so I'd go for one of the former. I don't think FIFA would consider England though.
Dont know why...England has not hosted since what....the 80s? It is a joke that they dont get a look.

Also Spain and Portugal would be a great choice and both have never hosted a World Cup. Matches in Lisbon,Madrid,Porto,Braga,Guimaraes,and Barcelona would be beautiful and the atmosphere would be rocking. I dont even have to explain the atmosphere if it was in England because that would self explanatory. Anfield, Old Trafford, Wembley etc.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Britain would be ideal to be honest. They’ve got a host of new stadiums, and there’s ones like Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, St James’, Goodison, Celtic Park, Hampden, Ibrox etc that could all be up to scratch after a bit of renovating.

That’s in addition to Wembley, Spurs’ new spaceship, Emirates, West Ham’s London Stadium, Etihad. Brighton’s is pretty good n all. Shame it’s too much about money.

Chairman Steve

Just have one of the major footballing nations host it, since they’ve got the infrastructure to host it even if you told them a year in advance. I know FIFA are seemingly dead set on wanting to take the tournament to the unconventional places in the world to score diversity and inclusion points even though the long term implications of it aren’t necessarily good, such as huge sports stadiums being empty most of the time beyond the tournament... Just host it in major footballing nation who hasn’t had a tournament in a while.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Platini is a convenient scapegoat for what is a much larger issue. I'm sure some of the other previous or current board members feel more safe now rather than worried because of information they provided to the justice system. When you cooperate you're not that bad right. /s

shiranaiotoko

So what now? No WC in Qatar? If they still hold it in Qatar it will be a disgrace. Most nations have no balls to boycott it.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Dont know why...England has not hosted since what....the 80s? It is a joke that they dont get a look.

Also Spain and Portugal would be a great choice and both have never hosted a World Cup. Matches in Lisbon,Madrid,Porto,Braga,Guimaraes,and Barcelona would be beautiful and the atmosphere would be rocking. I dont even have to explain the atmosphere if it was in England because that would self explanatory. Anfield, Old Trafford, Wembley etc.
1966 was the last time England hosted a World Cup. 96 was the last Euros

Stookie

Nurse bell end
They are due a major tournament.
I think England have bid in loads of them but not got anywhere. Especially that last one when the bid was going on at the same time as that (Telegraph I think) journalist was outing blatter and co as really corrupt. Turning up at their offices and asking questions. I don’t think we got one vote. Even with Prince William on board! Just shows all that money that was wasted bidding when the decisions had already been made. Every country that had a losing bid should be compensated by these greedy pigs.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think England have bid in loads of them but not got anywhere. Especially that last one when the bid was going on at the same time as that (Telegraph I think) journalist was outing blatter and co as really corrupt. Turning up at their offices and asking questions. I don’t think we got one vote. Even with Prince William on board! Just shows all that money that was wasted bidding when the decisions had already been made. Every country that had a losing bid should be compensated by these greedy pigs.
100% agree. It was so bleat that it is surprising it took this long for him to be questioned.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I know what you are trying to argue here but, giving the WC to Qatar has been a complete disaster. Maybe the worst move FIFA has made so far which is saying something.

Classical Mechanic

And then FIFA produced a report into corruption around the bidding which focused on the England bid gifting delegates a £25k watch each. I took that as a warning to future bidders against offering such derisory inducements in the future.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Half the fans won't be allowed in due to social media posts about Trump.

La Nuca

Spain hosted the 1982 World Cup actually

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Platini is a convenient scapegoat for what is a much larger issue. I'm sure some of the other previous or current board members feel more safe now rather than worried because of information they provided to the justice system. When you cooperate you're not that bad right. /s
Platini is a minnow in all that, people should pay attention to these 5 things in the last 15 years: Colony Capital - Bazin - Sarkozy - QTA - Accor.

Krisbijoy

Surely it's too late to move the venue now ?

What really bothers me how much of a waste all these resources , human lives etc. is going to be the moment the tournament comes to a close. It's not like football is going to pick up there as a major sport and they emerge as a force in the footballing map.
IMO the purposeful ignorance to the fact that this is just a vanity project for some rich people is the biggest crime here.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
IF it stays with Qatar then fan power is the last viable option - by boycotting it. The teams won't boycott it and neither will the sponsors.
I'll do my part and stay well away from the place.

wasnt planning on going no matter where they held it tbh, unless in my backyard

Classical Mechanic

FIFA hate us and we’re not popular on the continent either.

FIFA released a bizarre and terrible movie not so long ago that painted England as the evil villain of world football. It was felt to be in response to English reporters consistently probing their corruption. An English journo’s work on the subject was the basis for the FBI’s case to bring down Blatter.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2814362/

Then there was FIFA’s own report into corruption around the 2022 World Cup which found the England bid to be the corrupt one for giving delegates a £25k watch each.

It would be hard for us to get a World Cup. I think a Home Nations joint bid would be the most realistic route.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
IF it stays with Qatar then fan power is the last viable option - by boycotting it. The teams won't boycott it and neither will the sponsors.
I'll do my part and stay well away from the place.

wasnt planning on going no matter where they held it tbh, unless in my backyard
:lol:

United Junkie

Wow! I feel sad for my dad he's such a big fan of Platini the player but now he's known as a corrupt fecker. Damn!