Platini arrested - suspicions of corruption in the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar

RoyH1

FIFA hate us and we’re not popular on the continent either.

FIFA released a bizarre and terrible movie not so long ago that painted England as the evil villain of world football. It was felt to be in response to English reporters consistently probing their corruption. An English journo’s work on the subject was the basis for the FBI’s case to bring down Blatter.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2814362/

Then there was FIFA’s own report into corruption around the 2022 World Cup which found the England bid to be the corrupt one for giving delegates a £25k watch each.

It would be hard for us to get a World Cup. I think a Home Nations joint bid would be the most realistic route.
I agree. Having Scotland and Wales on board would give an English bid a much bigger chance of success.

Swiss_Red89

Very good. So please remove this shit idea of a worldcup in Katar and give it to Great Britain.

Would be a dream.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Old Trafford, Wembley, Emerites, St James Park and one in the south.

Surely would be the greatest stage in world cup history?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Old Trafford, Wembley, Emerites, St James Park and one in the south.

Surely would be the greatest stage in world cup history?
Imagine not naming the best stadium in the country.

Does Old Trafford have self pouring pints? Does it? DOES IT?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The auditions finished last night, no charges.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Justice for Michel! Poor guy, they should compensate him for wrongful arrest! Everyone knows he's innocent as a baby seal.

Relfy

I cannot see FIFA moving the WC no matter what. It would turn into a huge legal battle as Qatar will show the investment they have made in order to host it, namely the stadia, roads, metro system, hotels, etc.

The only cause for moving it will be if there is a war that breaks out in the time leading up to it.

With the current situation anyone who is planning on travelling over for it, either needs to stay in Qatar, Oman or Kuwait (dry) as you cannot fly directly between UAE and Qatar.

For what it's worth the stadiums were built in modules (i think all were but could be wrong), so after the word cup they will be broken back down and shipped to Africa and rebuilt there.

The auditions finished last night, no charges.
Reading the news it seems there was never any intent to charge him at this stage. They were questioning him as part of an attempt to build a bigger case.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Reading the news it seems there was never any intent to charge him at this stage. They were questioning him as part of an attempt to build a bigger case.
That's what I said yesterday, the procedure made it clear and Platini has already been auditioned regarding his own implication. It's not that difficult to see who they are after.

That's what I said yesterday, the procedure made it clear and Platini has already been auditioned regarding his own implication. It's not that difficult to see who they are after.
Either way i bet neither of them have the balls to take any trips to the US any time soon.

diarm

Imagine not naming the best stadium in the country.

Does Old Trafford have self pouring pints? Does it? DOES IT?
Agreed. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff is one of the best sporting venues on the planet and has to be included in any bid.

Tostao_80

Very good. So please remove this shit idea of a worldcup in Katar and give it to Great Britain.

Would be a dream.
Tell me about it. 2022 was my year to attend a WC. Wonder how much Qatar will cost me? Or even if it's worth going. I do like a drink after all.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I cannot see FIFA moving the WC no matter what. It would turn into a huge legal battle as Qatar will show the investment they have made in order to host it, namely the stadia, roads, metro system, hotels, etc.

The only cause for moving it will be if there is a war that breaks out in the time leading up to it.

With the current situation anyone who is planning on travelling over for it, either needs to stay in Qatar, Oman or Kuwait (dry) as you cannot fly directly between UAE and Qatar.

For what it's worth the stadiums were built in modules (i think all were but could be wrong), so after the word cup they will be broken back down and shipped to Africa and rebuilt there.
I think 2 years ago it was possible. Now it is impossible.

Unless there is a war.

Just goes to show how stupid accepting any bid which involves building tonnes of stadiums is. Not that we didn't already know that

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think 2 years ago it was possible. Now it is impossible.

Unless there is a war.

Just goes to show how stupid accepting any bid which involves building tonnes of stadiums is. Not that we didn't already know that
Wondering if it's going to be squeaky bum time at FIFA for the next two years...?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This is a weird bump. What am I missing?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is ridiculous. One of the games greats being dragged through the mud like this. Let the man just enjoy his life ffs you vultures!

Viva Platini!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Potential war in the Persian gulf with Iran would mean it's very difficult to safely hold the WC in Qatar.

Chances of war with Iran in said Persian gulf in next 2 years looks considerably higher given events yesterday.

If it is moved, Platini and others who arranged it in first place will be responsible.

Hence bump. Maybe a better thread somewhere?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Potential war in the Persian gulf with Iran would mean it's very difficult to safely hold the WC in Qatar.

Chances of war with Iran in said Persian gulf in next 2 years looks considerably higher given events yesterday.

If it is moved, Platini and others who arranged it in first place will be responsible.

Conspiracy that rest of the world pressured the US to drop the bomb to move the WC confirmed.
Tbf- given all the crazy movie like shit that has come out the past two years of so - it wouldn't even seem that far fetched :lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Qatar is pretty insulated from Iran

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
There is no better country in the world to host the World Cup than England, it baffles me that it's simply not awarded there instead of Qatar

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Qatar is pretty insulated from Iran
How?

Geographically Qatar is 120 miles away from Iran and only the other side of the Persian golf. If it does kick off ( the war and the world cup) I wouldn't like to be on board the USA team flight into Doha. Lets face it the USA pulled out of the Ryder Cup because of 9/11 so they would run a mile from this.

Its a couple of years away but Iran has promised to take revenge so at the moment I would say there's a very real security risk to most teams flying into Qatar. Qatar borders Saudi who the USA tend to side with on these matters so yes there are reasons why the next world cup could be moved and FIFA need to be considering alternative locations. Preferably a country with a strong defence policy and ample stadiums would be ideal.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
There won't be a war
Iran has medium range missiles that could easily take out a passenger jet. There doesn't have to be war to impact the security levels of a world cup. Lets see how it pans out but Iran is intent on revenge and if the world cup was tomorrow I really do not think anybody would be keen on flying anywhere over the Gulf.

Denis' cuff

There is no better country in the world to host the World Cup than England, it baffles me that it's simply not awarded there instead of Qatar
Has been the case for decades but they'll give it to Kazakstan before it'll come here, mate

Lynty

Conspiracy that rest of the world pressured the US to drop the bomb to move the WC confirmed.
Tbf- given all the crazy movie like shit that has come out the past two years of so - it wouldn't even seem that far fetched :lol:
Personally I think it was done to provoke Iran so war looks like a real threat leading up to the Presidential elections in November. It gives Trump/republicans the strongest chance of a second term as Bernie Sanders and co would be viewed as too weak/left leaning for war in the middle east.

You'll see Trump now start a campaign of propaganda about the threat of extreme Islam backed by Iran, and posturing on twitter on his strong armed approach of tackling the problem - which the masses will lap up. The next terrorist attack will be blamed on Iran (possibly correctly) then a white supremacist will retaliate at a mosque. And so the cycle continues.

Conor

Plenty of better countries, simply having loads of stadiums is not the sole ingredient needed for a good WC.