Play Nani on the right!

Godfather

That was possibly his best performance in a United shirt. Really really good.

If it was mainly down to playing on the right he's capable of performing like that a bit more regularly we've got a selection dilemma.

I'd like to see Valencia tried out as the most advanced of a midfield three. If we ever need to go 433, that could be a useful option.
I don't think it is...
At least certainly not mainly.
Mainly his performance today was a reflection of what a talent that lad is and what he is capable of when he has at least a bit of confidence.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I honestly think right wingers who have grown up playing that side do find it difficult to adjust playing on the left because the usual tricks you might use on the right dont really work on the left - im not talking about step overs but rather coming inside or getting to the byline. I think this indecision of what to do leads him to holding onto the ball longer then some of us want.

Theres no doubt the guy has the ability to play on the left (out of all our wingers i would probably want to see him there) but i think putting him out there right now anyway leaves him out of his depths. Id play him on the right a few more times to see how he gets on or even just if it gets his confidence back
He's played on the left dozens of times before, for club and country, ever since he started playing football. It's incredibly misleading to claim he learned the game only playing on the right.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think it is...
At least certainly not mainly.
Mainly his performance today was a reflection of what a talent that lad is and what he is capable of when he has at least a bit of confidence.
Me neither.

A performance like today on the left would be really reassuring. Maybe against the bitters? He's earned a start, I reckon.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I think it would be pretty unfair if Nani didn't get a start against shitty. Even if it is on the left.

INF-AMOS

Most of us know he has the potential to be a very good and more consistant player for United, the man is definately gifted.

But he needs a run of games and be allowed to have the odd off day without being lynched and dropped.

I would rather see a player with potentia talent try and fail a few times than one who is just workman like but seldom produces anything really magical.

Shimo

I think it would be pretty unfair if Nani didn't get a start against shitty. Even if it is on the left.
Depends if he is being saved for Arsenal but, if he can put in another performance like that against Shitty am all for it.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Yeah but City are strong on the wings and Nani still does not give you enough help defensively

Ringo 07

I am sure he will be knackered for the shitty game. It would be fantastic though if he could reproduce that performance on the left or else give Valencia a go on the left and leave Nani on the right!!! I hope Fergie makes the right choice and doesn't dent Nani's confidence by not playing him where he is most effective. It could turn out to be another Tevez/Berbatov situation with two players chasing one position with Fergie staying loyal to Valencia who has been great even though Nani could possibly be even better there while he might not be the same on the left even though he has heaps of experience there!

OneUnited24

He's played on the left dozens of times before, for club and country, ever since he started playing football. It's incredibly misleading to claim he learned the game only playing on the right.
For country i've only really seen him on the right, for United in his opening season he mainly played on the right with Ronaldo on the left (who would usually come inside anyway) it was only in his second season with us i think he was moved out to the left where he started to faulter, and i agree that hes had bad games for us on the right (last season against Tottenham he was absolutely gash before getting subbed at HT) but from what i've seen of him on the right he looks far more dangerous than he does on the left.

Well its not that misleading to say that he was brought as a right-sided winger, many just thought we could put him on the left because Ronaldo was bossing that side. I just think there has to be something in this, most of this season hes been on the left and to be fair bar the opening month of the season hes been pants (and even then he looked good but wasnt really amazing) but today on the right he looked like a completely different player.

You're right one good performance on the right side doesnt solve all his problems but i would like to see him play there more to see if he can continue what he was doing today - beating men for fun and putting good crosses in.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Nah, he was pretty much the complete package today. He tracked back very well and won back the ball at least 5 times, his through balls were inch perfect, his dribbling was well-used and effective and his decision making was faultless.

His early crosses were just a small part of his brilliant performance today.
I don't disagree with you, but it is the end product that he has struggled with, and as wide player, if you aren't scoring goals, you are desperate to at least create regular chances for your other teammates. He was dangerous whenever he had the ball today precisely because he didn't over-complicate his game any more than he needed to. The number of first time crosses that he put in to the box that were asking to be finished will have pleased the manager and the rest of his teammates more than anything else, in my opinion.

Tracking back, as important as it is, is not going to persuade anyone that you were the best attacking player on the pitch. And while his dribbling was excellent, if there was nothing to show for it, most people wouldn't be praising him as they are now.

Where I definitely agree is that he passed the ball very well, and it was in keeping with the rest of his game because he kept it simple when needed, but also tried to hurt the opposition when a through ball was on.

DanY2J

Trouble is and what annoys me a little with Fergie is that no matter how well Nani has played today he wont keep his spot in the team for the next game which i am sure will be devastating for him.

Anyone who plays well should be given the oppotunity to continue that in the next game but that does not seem to happen in our midfield.

Have we played the same midfield two games running this year?

Shimo

You've got to wonder how much Valencia has had an impact on Nani. Seeing the way Valencia keeps the ball, the way he looks up and gets crosses in, hugging the touch line and seeing how just playing good basic consistent football keeps you in the side.

Most of us agree that Nani is better technically as a footballer but, his brain has let him down so far and perhaps being too much trying to be Ronaldo. If he just lets his natural ability just execute the straight forward, that will often be enough.

It's early days but, what we saw today was IMO something that was coming from him at the start of the season until it went off the rails. From the Wolfsburg game to the game last week - one of the biggest things I've seen from him is an effort not to waste possession. That is probably the biggest peeve of SAF, Rooney and the supporters don't like him.

*cross-fingers* that this, our a full defense available and perhaps even a Hargo is the turning point of our season.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
For country i've only really seen him on the right, for United in his opening season he mainly played on the right with Ronaldo on the left (who would usually come inside anyway) it was only in his second season with us i think he was moved out to the left where he started to faulter, and i agree that hes had bad games for us on the right (last season against Tottenham he was absolutely gash before getting subbed at HT) but from what i've seen of him on the right he looks far more dangerous than he does on the left.

Well its not that misleading to say that he was brought as a right-sided winger, many just thought we could put him on the left because Ronaldo was bossing that side. I just think there has to be something in this, most of this season hes been on the left and to be fair bar the opening month of the season hes been pants (and even then he looked good but wasnt really amazing) but today on the right he looked like a completely different player.

You're right one good performance on the right side doesnt solve all his problems but i would like to see him play there more to see if he can continue what he was doing today - beating men for fun and putting good crosses in.
Really? I'm sure it was overwhelmingly the other way around unless I'm going insane. Ronaldo on the right and Nani on the left. I even remember making a post that season to the effect that it might be better for them to try out switching wings, and I think Pogue said something similar.

OneUnited24

Really? I'm sure it was overwhelmingly the other way around unless I'm going insane. Ronaldo on the right and Nani on the left. I even remember making a post that season to the effect that it might be better for them to try out switching wings, and I think Pogue said something similar.
You might be right but i always saw Nani on the right, i know a lot of his assist came from the right that season, even against Asnl im 100% sure he was on the right - his goal was him running inside from the right

datura

His delivery was fantastic today, we should have scored a few more from his crosses really. He seemed to keep it fairly simple today, and his performance was all the better for it.

2 good games on the bounce, hopefully this is the sign of things for the rest of the season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Unbelievable performance, should of had about 12 assists.
ditto

Was an awesome performance.
His Crossing was incredible. I don't want us to play around with where we play. Just give him a run of gAmes on the right. He was effortlessly whipping in brillaint crosses again and again. Even his passing and link up play was spot on.

Would be somethig if he can carry this on. And if he does he's bound to get a decent number of goals too.

Wow.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
No mention of Nani in SAF's post-match interview. He said the highlight of the match was Rooney's 4 goals and didn't even mention Nani. Does this mean he won't play on Wednesday?
He did mention Nani. He didn't say a lot about one topic but the gist of it was he said he was excellent.

Edit: Ssn fair enough. I think they get frustrated with nani because they know about his ability but thankfully Sir Alex is a paitent man.

vuc

First Team Serb
He was very dangerous today, and got the ball a lot. I did think at times he was still wasteful though, a lot of times his crosses went straight to the keeper. He kept things simple today which is what he's needed to do for so long.

RufRT

Obama Fan
Excellent squad spirit on display after Rooneys 3rd today....they all went over to Nani to congratulate him and thats fantastic to see.

Hopefully todays performance will give Nani a strong lift and I hope he starts against Citeh (book it)

The way the lads all took turns to congratulate him for the cross (and work during the match), led by rooney, is brilliant.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've been saying for quite some time that we need to play Nani on the right more often. He's only played there three times this season that I can think of, and two of those have been by far his best performances of the season. The first one was especially notable, as he was brilliant (almost as good as he was today) for the first 60 minutes, but then was moved to the left when Valencia came on, and his performance instantly fell away significantly.

He just seems much more consistent on the right. He's had shockers on the right, he's had brilliant performances on the left, but the ratio of good games to bad games seems much better on the right. 50/50, rather than 15/85 if you will.

Nani needs to be the one to play on the right whenever Valencia isn't playing. And then the problem becomes how to get them both on at the same time. That means Nani will have to play on the left at some times, and he'll have to cope with that. And, as others have already said, now that Valencia has established himself it might be time to try him in the attacking central midfield position of our 4231/433, with Nani on the right.

Pat_Mustard

You might be right but i always saw Nani on the right, i know a lot of his assist came from the right that season, even against Asnl im 100% sure he was on the right - his goal was him running inside from the right
Aye, he was definitely on the right against Arsenal but Ronaldo wasn't playing that day. I know that great goal he scored against Middlesborough was from the left, but more so I'm sure that Ronaldo normally started on the right, although of course he'd end up all over the show in practise.

Pat_Mustard

When you're at OT, there's always an audible sigh when Nani gets the ball. It fecks me right off and it can't do the poor lad's confidence much good either.
Yep. The gimps behind me last week gave Nani dog's abuse for misplacing a pass early in the first half. It was actually Evra that did it, but it was evidently too much to expect these self-congratulatory feckheads to actually watch the game before hurling abuse at our own players. The same fellas booed Park off against Villa a few weeks before.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Lets hope Fergie plays him in midweek, the last thing he needs is to be rested/dropped again.

He needs a run of games to see if he is up to it.

jim

In most joy
No mention of Nani in SAF's post-match interview. He said the highlight of the match was Rooney's 4 goals and didn't even mention Nani. Does this mean he won't play on Wednesday?
Doesn't surprise me, after all the shit that Nani came out with earlier in the season he probably wants to keep it all low-key.

No point elevating him to greatness, it just gives him a good opportunity to fall back down again.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
SAF did mention Nani's excellent performance. Here's the link on manutd.com:

Boss: It's good to be top - Manchester United Official Web Site

I thought Nani was excellent today,” he said. “In the second half he hit some fantastic crosses into the box. On another day he might have made four or five goals. So we were very pleased with that. And I thought that, apart from a two-minute spell in the second half, our back four looked very solid. Rio Ferdinand’s presence, composure and balance really stands out. It’s a great bonus for us to get him back.”

Godfather

Doesn't surprise me, after all the shit that Nani came out with earlier in the season he probably wants to keep it all low-key.

No point elevating him to greatness, it just gives him a good opportunity to fall back down again.
:lol:
He actually did praise him in an MUTV interview

Stretch

I think Nani had massive game and it was important for him to follow up his decent performances with a match winning one. Boy did he deliver. He looked sharp, his balls were threatening and his run into the box should've gotten us a penalty. He looks good on the right but I believe he can emulate his form on the left as well. I think we should play Nani on the left and Valencia on the right and get them to switch wings like we tend to do.

Ji-Sung Park is becoming a passenger and even though he is a decent squad player, his form is cause for concern. He gives the ball away and poses no threat. Nothing came from his side yesterday and when it did, it was Evra and Rooney/Owen pulling wide who posed Hull City problems.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'm tempted to say that Nani's the sort of player potentially that we should shuffle the team slightly in order to accomodate, based on that. It's amazing what he's capable of when it all comes together for him. He's been one of the most gifted dribblers since he arrived, but it only shows when he's confident and in the mood. He really was yesterday.

Valencia's obviously the problem, but I think if he altered the nature of his game slightly, he'd excel on the left. A player as powerful and talented as he is that has the freedom to cut inside on to his stronger foot is going to do some serious damage. Whilst Ronaldo was freakishly good on both sides, some of his best play often came when he cut in from the left into space on his right foot. There is no reason why Valencia cannot attack space in a similar manner, though I'm not saying he'll be as good as Ronaldo was.

I say he'll have to alter his game slightly simply due to the fact that, as his weaker foot would be his crossing foot on the left, it'd perhaps mean that his wing play wouldn't be quite so traditional. This is good - most of his best performances so far have come from him exploiting space by running 70mp/h at it.

Julian Denny

Watching Nani yesterday I wonder what really was the point in buying Valencia. Surely it has limited Nani's appearances and with it his form and confidence. What does Valencia bring to the team that Nani can't ?

Whilst acknowleding Valencia's contributions this season he is a very one dimensional winger and I suggest that decent opposition can close him down more easily than say someone like Nani whose game is more flexible and who can play on either flank.

Surely the money spent on Valencia could have been better spent elsewhere to strenghten the team ?