Player mismatches

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What famous player mismatches can you think of? What I mean is when a certain player has a member of the opposing team totally figured out. Can be a single game or they might have embarrassed them numerous times.

Famous United ones would Vidic against Torres and Evra against Lennon. Painful to watch at times.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What famous player mismatches can you think of? What I mean is when a certain player has a member of the opposing team totally figured out. Can be a single game or they might have embarrassed them numerous times.

Famous United ones would Vidic against Torres and Evra against Lennon. Painful to watch at times.
How many times did Vidic have a bad game against Torres?

paulscholes18

Kompany with Smalling
Valencia with Cole
Cole with Ronaldo
Drogba with Arsenal’s CB’s

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Jose Antonio Reyes vs Gary Neville

I'd say Reyes still has bruises.

Nas-JR

Depay in the europa against that god rb

willhse456

Memphis Depay vs the FC Midtjylland right back in LVG's Europa run, he was supposedly almost crying after that game.

Gazza

Fairly sure Chelsea had Michael Essien at RB in the 2008 CL Final and Ronaldo ran riot in the first half especially.

Charlie Foley

The Torres v Vidic thing is a myth. I put a post in the Newbies about it which I'm not arsed retyping, if someone could find it, it's a post I got likes for if that makes it easier to find.

el3mel

Bailly and Vardy jumps to mind from recent times as well but in positive way.

Kaos

Ronaldo vs Kieran Gibbs in the 2009 CL semi final against Arsenal.

Kaka against our makeshift back 4 in the 2007 CL semi final.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The Torres v Vidic thing is a myth. I put a post in the Newbies about it which I'm not arsed retyping, if someone could find it, it's a post I got likes for if that makes it easier to find.
Here:

He was on decline even before he went to Chelsea. in 2010 he looked grumpy, and he'd lost that explosiveness (I think he'd been rushed back from injury by Rafa)

The 'he always destroys Vidic' myth is one that really got on my nerves. I mean if you look at it in detail:

07/08: two games, hardly got a sniff, United won 1-0 and 3-0, there's that great image of Rio giving him stick when he's sulking, and then he whinged his way around Old Trafford.

08/09: didn't play at anfield, Vidic got sent off but it's irrelevant for this point. The 4-1 at OT is the infamous one, but people exaggerate that slip, it was a Vidic mistake than anything special from Torres. Also the red card was on Gerrard. This is probably the best example of Torres giving him a hard time.

09/10: 2-0 defeat at anfield. The goal Torres scored was in Rio's channel, so nothing to do with Vidic. vidic got booked for fouling Torres, who was diving consistently and getting frees for it in the first half (two on Vidic, the second was a booking, both harsh frees). vidic then gets a yellow for hauling down Kuyt on the half way line, fair enough.
2-1 win at OT: Torres scores after about 5 minutes but then proceeds to do feck all for the rest of the match, other than try and mess up the penalty spot before rooney's penalty, and again sulks around the pitch.

2010/11: 3-2 win at OT (Liverpool) didn't get much change from Vidic, still won the penalty and free kick that Gerrard scored from, but they were O'Shea and Jevans.

10- Win at Old Trafford (Liverpool) (Fa Cup) KKK's return, Torres played alright considering they were down to 10 men, but no Vidic.

2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge (Chelsea): ok performance by Torres, but United had Chelsea under control until their midfield kicked into gear and Atkinson screwed us over. Vidic sent off for fouls on Essien and Ramires, but handled Torres well.

1-0 win at Stamford Bridge (CL) Torres booked for diving, Chelsea in histrionics as usual after a defeat, Vidic looked far superior.

2-1 at Old Trafford (CL) Torres plays one half (apparently, no one saw him actually do anything) hauled off for Drogba.

2-1 win at OT (league) Vidic scores the goal that effectively guarantees the title, Torres plays the last half an hour and looks a bit crap, Chelsea second best throughout.

2011/12

3-1 win at Old trafford. I reckon this is Torres' best game against us, but Vidic wasn't playing. Also THAT miss. We managed to win quite comfortable without actually looking that good.

3-3 draw at the Bridge: vidic doesn't play.

2012/13: 3-2 win at the Bridge: No Vidic, Rio partnered Evans I think. Torres sent off for diving.

2-2 draw OT FA Cup: Vidic on the bench, Torres plays 12 minutes.

1-0 loss SB (FA Cup): no Vidic. Torres comes on in injury time.

1-0 loss league OT: Torres plays 13 minutes.

2013/14: 0-0 draw at OT: vidic starts. Torres plays the last half an hour and gets booked, but Chelsea don't really bother attacking.

3-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge. vidic sent off for a foul on Hazard. Torres comes on as a sub, but all the focus is Eto'o's hat trick.

So, there you go. Even at Liverpool when he was at his peak, there's only really been 1 game where Vidic had so much trouble-the following season at Anfield, rio was the one who struggled, Vidic was hard done by by the ref. So that's one 'destruction' in 6 games (and even then destruction is a strong word) and plenty of no shows by Torres. With Torres at Chelsea, they've met 7 times, but mostly Torres has been subbed on or off, and has really showed nothing.

I think they've met 13 times playing for their clubs (5 of the Chelsea ones Torres plays very little, due to being awful) Torres has 3 goals (OT in 08/09, 09/10, Anfield 09/10). So I don't know why people are so convinced he's had some dominance over Vidic.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Lahm vs CR7. Cristiano used to switch to right wing when playing against Lahm in his prime.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought it was weird bringing up a post from the newbies, but after reading it, it's really comprehensive. I see why it was rated. Good work.

Charlie Foley

Thought it was weird bringing up a post from the newbies, but after reading it, it's really comprehensive. I see why it was rated. Good work.
Haha. Everyone good got promoted from the newbies and I wanted out so I actually put some effort in for a while. But cheers