Player of the Season vote

Well...

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Born2Lose

Tough call between Mainoo and Dalot for me.

I've plumped for Mainoo in the end because of how difficult it is for a young player to play in midfield and how much pressure was placed on him.

As well as he did overall I also remember Dalot having some dopey moments during the season.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
If there was a Young Player of the Season award and Player of the Season award (like there is by the club) then I would give young player to Mainoo and Player to Dalot.

But seeing as it's just Player of the Season, I have to give it to Mainoo because it can't be ignored just how much of a shining light hes been this season and how much of a beacon of hope this lad is going forward into next season and beyond.

I've not been Dalot's biggest fan in previous years, but he's showed consistency this season and he's looked like a good player amongst a seriously terrible bunch. But I think he can and will get even better in terms of attacking productivity and defensive awareness.

So I've voted for Mainoo, not just because he has possibly saved us £50-100m in the transfer market, but because he has provided moments of pure jaw-dropping brilliance this season that just can't go unnoticed.

The number one priority, in my opinion, in the transfer market is finding a midfield partner that compliments him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Bruno is my pick. Most goals. Most assists. Up there in minutes played too. I think he is the player we would have missed most this season, and that is probably the fairest measurement for individuals in what has been a dreadful season for the team.

JediSith

Maguire. Considering the sht he took. Dropped as Captain. Still has probably been the only consistent performer all season. He has tried to stabilise us and lead while the whole fking place is burning. Wont be even considered because everyone just hates him with a furious anger.
Same here. Given it to Maguire. Don’t think he should be a part of our first two CB, or even second choice, next season. But credit where credit is due.

redmanx

I heard the lady who makes the tea is a great Bingo player....does she count?

Jonty

Dalot for me. Only defensive player to be consistently available and that has been invaluable given he has needed to cover the hole that is the left back position.

He also is one player who has shown improvements under ETH, and he has shown great mental fortitude to come back from being unwanted a few seasons back to being a stalwart of the team. Hopefully he continues this trajectory next season (hopefully the rest of the back line will too).

Dazzmondo

I understand Dalot had by far his best season, but I still think it's Bruno. Most chances created in the entire league, most distance covered, most assists, joint most league goals, 2nd most goals in all competitions (after Hojlund), most progressive passes, 2nd most tackles and interceptions (after Dalot), most touches, most carries, most balls received. He is our most important player.

Dalot would be my 2nd choice and Garnacho 3rd.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I’ve added my comments to yours. Anyway agree to disagree he’s mikes better than some of those.
I thought Dalot was an active part of the 4th worst defense in the league this season, no?
Add to that that he has had an offensive threat of 0,13 expected goalinvolvements per 90 minutes
Rightbacks with more than 1000 minutes this season with more goalthreat than Dalot: TAA 0,46 xGI/90, Trips 0,37 xGI/90, Gusto 0,37 xGI/90, Cash 0,31 xGI/90, Munoz 0,30 xGI/90, Porro 0,29 xGI/90, White 0,20 xGI/90, Godfrey/Patterson 0,19 xGI/90, Assignon 0,18 xGI/90, Roerslev 0,14 xGI/90, Coufal 0,13 xGI/90. That's 11 teams with more productive right backs this season.

What is it that he has been miles better at this season?

How anyone can vote for defender this season is just unbelievable really.
Our defense haven't had a worse season in 35 years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Only 4 players had a good/above average season. Dalot, Bruno, Mainoo and Garnacho.
For me, Dalot easily gets reward for best player of the year.

mu4c_20le

:drool:

In your face Dalosexuals! kidding... they all deserved recognition, but our captain was just.... :drool:

BorisManUtd

Bruno 40% to Dalot's 20%. On here it's 50% Dalot and 20% Bruno. I really feel Dalot has been most consistent and could've gotten the award.

Is there another, differente award for POTY? This is fans voting, there's another from other players votes as well, right?

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
:drool:

In your face Dalosexuals! kidding... they all deserved recognition, but our captain was just.... :drool:
He’s been great all season. The notion he only came good two months ago is ridiculous. Dalot was second in the vote, clear recognition of our two best performers of the season.
This forum is weirdly "anti-Bruno". Happy to see that other fans feel different.

Dalot deservedly number two. He was clearly better than the rest.

Lyng

That's recency bias imo. Dalot has been our most consistently good player over the whole season. Would probably have Maguire second and then Bruno third.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Bruno 40% to Dalot's 20%. On here it's 50% Dalot and 20% Bruno. I really feel Dalot has been most consistent and could've gotten the award.

Is there another, differente award for POTY? This is fans voting, there's another from other players votes as well, right?
Yes. Would be very surprised if that’s not Dalot.

Players’ Player of the Year

2005/06: Ryan Giggs
2006/07: Cristiano Ronaldo
2007/08: Cristiano Ronaldo
2008/09: Nemanja Vidic
2009/10: Wayne Rooney
2010/11: Nani
2011/12: Antonio Valencia
2012/13: Michael Carrick
2013/14: David De Gea
2014/15: David De Gea
2015/16: Chris Smalling
2016/17: Antonio Valencia
2017/18: David De Gea
2018/19: Luke Shaw
2019/20: Anthony Martial
2020/21: Luke Shaw
2021/22: David De Gea
2022/23: Marcus Rashford

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This forum is weirdly "anti-Bruno". Happy to see that other fans feel different.

I don't think it is really. It's just that his performance thread is full of hundreds upon hundreds of posts from the same 2 or 3 people waving their massive hateboners around for him.

Oranges038

Bruno for me. Fully deserved.

Although personally I would have scrapped the award if I was in charge.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Peaking late is always better than peaking early with your form for these awards. Always easier to recall what everyone was playing like over the past 10 games than how it started.

In the grand scheme of things there was no clear winner, and even with some of the horror performances Fernandes' put in mid-season, his end form was probably enough on the balance of things to get the award.

mu4c_20le

I don't think it is really. It's just that his performance thread is full of hundreds upon hundreds of posts from the same 2 or 3 people waving their massive hateboners around for him.
Yeah a vocal few that can influence others especially during matchdays when we're not playing well. Most casual football fans I've met in real life actually love Bruno, and Rashford when he's on it, but many liken him with Rooney, who is still very popular with the neutrals.

top1whoisman

Scout
DD:
”For me, it’s even more special [than the main award]. I have a lot of consideration for the fans; they are a big part of me and the biggest part of this club.

"But my team-mates are the ones who see each other every single day. We have to come here and we still have to fight, and we still have to share these moments when things are not going well, and when the things are going well.

"This, ultimately, is my second family and this recognition by your team-mates, I think it’s really special, because they see you every day, they know the work that you put in behind the scenes."

top1whoisman

Scout

Or the fans here see the game closer to how the players see it. Thus both rating Dalot as the best this season.

top1whoisman

Scout
Or the players don't feel the need to vote for their captain every year
Yeah I don’t think they make their voting decisions based on pity. They haven’t had any issues in voting DDG to win it four times.

Last edited:

sherrinford

Only 4 players had a good/above average season. Dalot, Bruno, Mainoo and Garnacho.
For me, Dalot easily gets reward for best player of the year.
You don't think Maguire deserves to go in that category?

Agree with the rest of the group and with Dalot being the top performer, and clearly so.

Alex B

Tough between Dalot and Mainoo. Then Garnacho and Bruno. Honorary mention to Jonny Evans who gave his all and outperformed any realistic expectations we could have had of him, and Scott for a great goal haul for the minutes and position played

Dazzmondo

Yeah I don’t think they make their voting decisions based on pity. They haven’t had any issues in voting DDG to win it four times.
They've never once voted for Bruno even though he was clearly our best player by far most seasons he's been here. It's pretty obvious the players always want to vote for someone they think the fans won't acknowledge to spread the love.

top1whoisman

Scout
They've never once voted for Bruno even though he was clearly our best player by far most seasons he's been here. It's pretty obvious the players always want to vote for someone they think the fans won't acknowledge to spread the love.
Doubt it.

They just know football better than the average fan. Think they give it to a player they think has been the most valuable/most consistent in their eyes that season. You can see a lot of players’ comments under Dalot’s social media posts throughout the season saying he’s the POTS. They don’t know who the fans have voted for.

2013/14, 2014/15, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2022/23 for example the same player won both.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You don't think Maguire deserves to go in that category?

Agree with the rest of the group and with Dalot being the top performer, and clearly so.
No. He had some good games and that is it. Many players had. Onana, McT, Hojlund, Rashy....
But overall it was not a good season. Only 4 who i mentioned were consistent and had a good season.

Andersons Dietician

In all honesty how do we even choose someone. Majority of the season they have all had spells when they’ve been so bad you would never think to utter their names in contention for player of the season. Maybe strung 3-4 games together where they’ve looked good. Bruno recently for example, Maguire when he came back in but they all probably had more bad games than good.

Dalot probably deserves to win it but basically by default because he was available for most the season and made a half decent attempt at being a RB/LB. He wasn’t by any means exceptional but he was better than many others.