Players apologising after games

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just don’t follow them on social media.
This is basically the answer, isn't it? It's just yet another small thing that riles you (the average fan) up when things aren't going well. Like people wanting referee interviews, and wondering why McKenna isn't doing anything etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Clubs treating treating their players as if something truly tragic and devastating has happened is also a bit odd

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
This is an outcome of the exponential growth of online trolling, be it opposition or your own.

Ideally players should pay no heed to it, but it's getting harder for them to ignore. This PR stuff pacifies a certain section of the crowd, it's not for rational individuals. Understand who is it for, and you'll realise it's a defensive mechanism for players.

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's odd. I don't remember anyone apologising after losing or playing poorly under Ferguson. I'm sure their objective was to stay quiet and perform in the next match. It's part of the new social media generation and feeling sorry for themselves when they make a mistake. We've seen Rashford, Lingard and Bruno do it in the past few months. I don't think it helps but it's not the end of the world.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I put out an official tweet when ive fecked up in starcraft

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't care either way, but I have noticed that players post almost the same wording on Instagram after a game, win or lose. It's clear that it's not the players doing it most of the time, and it seems a bit disingenuous.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think there's a bubble among those who run social media accounts for the players and clubs where they quite regularly miss the mood of the wider public, because they're balls deep in a reacharound amongst themselves. Bruno's apology and United's response to it being a typical example.

Apologies should be reserved for acts of gross stupidity, not for a player doing his job of taking a penalty.

Hughie77

It's social media, something has to be said, so they apologise, when they feck it up. I don't see why. Did Cantona Apologise to that dick, he apologused for his actions, oh he wouldn't have missed that pen either.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Mata has been apologising for years.

It's all a bit pointless. Answer with better performances and don't read fans' comments.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I couldn't give a flying feck. You missed, it's over, onto the next one.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Neville going big :lol:
Will he also go after his darling Kane if he ever apologizes for anything?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It’s ridiculous,not because it’s cringey, but why the feck should they?

Bruno has played his heart out for you since the day he walked into OT, racked up masses of goals and assists, given the team a whole new dynamic and yet for some reason has to apologise for missing one pen. It’s ridiculous

stevoc

Occasionally. When we got battered 3-1 at Maine Rd, ok, maybe an apology was needed.

But as irritating as the loss at home to Villa was, it was hardly historic.
Indeed disappointing loss but not the end of the world

Yet going off the reaction of a lot of fans on here and elsewhere you'd think we just lost 5-0 to Liverpool in a European Cup final at Old Trafford. Everything is magnified these days with social media etc. including the hysterical overreactions of a lot of fans. The players must get a sense of that which leads to all these unnecessary apologies.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

It's funny the fans can't see the irony in why the players and club feel the need to do things like this.

If it weren't for the knee jerk pressure applied after every single dropped point they almost certainly wouldn't do it.

Edit; Some of the same fans are slamming them for apologising now :lol: Why even claim you support something when you hate everything about it. The modern fan is a mystery to me, must admit.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Players feel the need to do that because the average modern-day football fan behaves like a trash human, with a warped sense of reality. These fans hurl every vulgar insult imaginable to players on social media whenever their team doesn't win a football match, then have the nerve to complain about the player apologies without having the self-awareness to realize they are the cause.

Can't make this stuff up.

acnumber9

I don't follow players on social media but this one has been reported in every newspaper and was discussed on MOTD2.

You could hardly have gotten away from it.
Yeah, but it’s a general thing. If enough people don’t want to see it and stop following they won’t do it. Obviously some people want this kind of thing for some reason.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It's funny the fans can't see the irony in why the players and club feel the need to do things like this.

If it weren't for the knee jerk pressure applied after every single dropped point they almost certainly wouldn't do it.

Edit; Some of the same fans are slamming them for apologising now :lol: Why even claim you support something when you hate everything about it. The modern fan is a mystery to me, must admit.
Exactly. The modern football fan blames everyone but themselves for the current state of football. A narcissistic entitled bunch.

Mihai

Players feel the need to do that because the average modern-day football fan behaves like a trash human, with a warped sense of reality. These fans hurl every vulgar insult imaginable to players on social media whenever their team doesn't win a football match, then have the nerve to complain about the player apologies without having the self-awareness to realize they are the cause.

Can't make this stuff up.
Players do that because their social media accounts are businesses.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think it is that weird. If you fecked up at work you’d be apologising to your bosses and your clients. In this scenario, we (the fans), are the clients.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Players do that because their social media accounts are businesses.
That has very little to do with it. Simply put if fans didn't send abuse to players via social media there would be far fewer social media apologies.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I don’t think it is that weird. If you fecked up at work you’d be apologising to your bosses and your clients. In this scenario, we (the fans), are the clients.
Presumably, you don't engage in such self-flagellation on a public forum though, do you? Surely there's a big difference between those two scenarios?

afatzp

I guess the next would be players start to apologize for missing a goal opportunity with XG > 0.5 , missing an one on one, missing an one-two overlapping, or missing a tackle .

Players nowadays talk too much. Why not spend more time on training ground to practice more so that next time don't miss it, instead of looking up dictionary to find words of excuses.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Player cocks up, angry fans demand an apology. How dare we see him laughing with is family, he should be wearing sack cloth & ashes for the entire week.

Player cocks up and issues an apology to the fans. Irate fans annoyed, how dare he apologise, the cnut.

Nothing wrong with a genuine apology, it takes a man to stand up, take the blame and admit his mistakes. Good for you Bruno, you fecked up and you promise to do better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Presumably, you don't engage in such self-flagellation on a public forum though, do you? Surely there's a big difference between those two scenarios?
Well, the easiest way for Bruno to talk to the fans is through a tweet or an Instagram post.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Depends how bad the performance is. At the end of the day, this is supposed to be entertainment. People are paying money to be entertained. If you put on a shit show, then you really should be apologising for wasting peoples time and money. If its just getting beat, nah. Its football. You win some, you lose some. Everyone knows this going in. I dont even think Lingard should be apologising for his gaff. It was a mistake, it happens. Annoying at the time, but we all move on to the next game with a clean slate. You play to the best of your ability and thats all anyone can ask.

I remember watching one game, in which Im sure a lot of you will remember, in which DiMaria was just jogging around the pitch. He was just there fannying about. THAT should have been an apology. His wages taken, and paid out to the match going fans for wasting their time and money. That is the only time I have ever thought a player is an absolute disgrace, and should have been fired on the spot.