Players apologising after games

Smores

That has very little to do with it. Simply put if fans didn't send abuse to players via social media there would be far fewer social media apologies.
I'm not sure that's true at all, players have been getting dogs abuse for years where as this is very recent. It's just social media teams doing something to justify their job.

Smores

Player cocks up, angry fans demand an apology. How dare we see him laughing with is family, he should be wearing sack cloth & ashes for the entire week.

Player cocks up and issues an apology to the fans. Irate fans annoyed, how dare he apologise, the cnut.

Nothing wrong with a genuine apology, it takes a man to stand up, take the blame and admit his mistakes. Good for you Bruno, you fecked up and you promise to do better.
Who demanded an apology?

Mihai

That has very little to do with it. Simply put if fans didn't send abuse to players via social media there would be far fewer social media apologies.
Apologizing to avoid abuse hardly works, imo. In fact, a raging fan seeing Bruno's apology on their timeline will have an added incentive to write something abusive in the heat of the moment.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Well, the easiest way for Bruno to talk to the fans is through a tweet or an Instagram post.
It's all a bit perverse in my opinion. I don't like the precedent it sets really of players coming out with an almost "please forgive me" attitude after missing a chance. I mean, who the hell really wants that apart from the sort of people who would just launch a barrage of insults at them anyway, apology or not. The man just missed a penalty at the end of a game. Of course he's distraught at that. I don't need him to perform some form of self-flagellation so I know how much pain he's really in. Nor should anyone, really.

Again, it's all a bit perverse to me.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's all a bit perverse in my opinion. I don't like the precedent it sets really of players coming out with an almost "please forgive me" attitude after missing a chance. I mean, who the hell really wants that apart from the sort of people who would just launch a barrage of insults at them anyway, apology or not. The man just missed a penalty at the end of a game. Of course he's distraught at that. I don't need him to perform some form of self-flagellation so I know how much pain he's really in. Nor should anyone, really.

Again, it's all a bit perverse to me.
I think self-flagellation is a bit too strong of a term and I don't think he's doing it for you.

Smores

So are you saying that no one ever demanded any player apologise after fecking up in a game of football?
I don't think I've ever seen anybody here or on twitter demand a written apology from a player who has missed a penalty in a game of little importance. Have you?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think self-flagellation is a bit too strong of a term and I don't think he's doing it for you.
I don't think it is. It's a perverse spectacle, really.

And I know he's not doing it for me, the point is he shouldn't be doing it for anyone, because the sort of people who would demand this are the sort of people where it's never going to be enough anyway.

Mercurial

United fans were great with him at full time, as matchgoing United fans tend to be.

I don't think he needed to apologise as such, but if I missed an injury time penalty and then the fans stayed behind to sing my song and applaud my efforts, I would want to put a message up thanking them at least.
This, also his personality seem to be in a way he demands so much from himself. Winners don't like losing.

siw2007

Starting to get hacked off with it too. I understand it with Rashfords’ case after the abuse he got after the miss in the Euros but Bruno’s is OTT. He doesn’t need a lengthy apology, he can simply say sorry I missed I will put it right next week and move on.

No need for the club to release a post like hat either, I think most fans would get behind ‘Chin up Bruno, let’s put it right next week.’

Ananke

Like most have said it's generally not even the players on their social media. It's all PR handled.

If it were a case of the player sat on their phones, apologizing, waiting for pity and affirmation...then I'd be like "get off your ass and work on it". However, rarely gonna be the case is it? Bruno probably be putting that hard work in as we speak.

redshaw

Means nothing if they play badly next game.

Missing a pen isn't even the main problem against Villa, lucky to get one at 93 mins. With Ronaldo arriving, the pressure to score that late on I would've had Ronaldo taking it but he could well have missed too, then we'd be arguing about Bruno taking it, his brilliant record etc.

The players owe Villarreal a beating so get it done, get a plan together, lets get Telles sharp for the left side and to whip some crosses to Cavani/Ronaldo. I'd want to see AWB served all kinds of passes on the touchline in training.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
No need to apologize for a penalty miss, yes you should score them, but everyone misses one here and there.

youmeletsfly

It's a job like any other, you don't apologize to someone for failing, you just try your best the next time.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I'm not sure that's true at all, players have been getting dogs abuse for years where as this is very recent. It's just social media teams doing something to justify their job.
It's very true. As people increasingly live their lives on social media the abuse has been getting worse. You can call it a recent strategy but it's definitely due to the abuse and over-the-top criticism.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Apologizing to avoid abuse hardly works, imo. In fact, a raging fan seeing Bruno's apology on their timeline will have an added incentive to write something abusive in the heat of the moment.
I'm not debating whether or not it works. Just identifying the root cause.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Walking back from the game, j said to my mate “bet Bruno says sorry on some form of social media, wish they wouldn’t bother”.

Id rather he said “that penalty was disgraceful for a professional footballer. Simply not good enough”. Nothing much in it but this “we go again” type message is becoming de riguer now

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Unnecessary and insulting to fans. We aren’t pissed of a singular penalty miss because it can happen to anyone. It’s more about scraping through games and the fact we far too often run it so close against teams we should be beating comfortably.

eire-red

If it was a once off, then not too much of an issue. Gets pretty annoying though when after every second game you have tweets like this, and cringy posts from the United Facebook account.

Just wish they'd start delivering on the pitch, because it just feels like excuses and PR nonsense to keep the fans onside when things aren't going well.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Modern football? Spare me! I have seen Penalty kings come and go in over half a century following United. They all miss occasionally.Anyone expecting apologies should just stay at home, in bed.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Another a way of getting more likes and comments, after a negative moment, a few positive articles about how he is sorry, and how few fans and other popular accounts extended their support and sympathy.

Win Win for everyone, very smart strategy because do not forget guys world is filled with idiots, if you do not believe me, just go and watch the social media videos about Mbappe vs Neymar, and you will find many little dumbasses, saying Neymar is overrated and jealous of Mbappe. hence he does not pass to Mbappe :lol: , just an example about how little information or data in internet can impact your image, fact check is not to do list of everyone.

Unless you are somebody who does not give a fcuk about what people think, which is key to you getting endorsements value(whatever is it called), you will require a PR team to maintain an image.

Withnail

As they pointed out on Second Captains podcast he never actually apologises in his statement.

He says he stepped up to take responsibility and will do again but he failed this time, he'll always step up when called on blah blah blah and will do better next time and thanks the fans for their support.

So if you're critical of him apologising, he never did.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s nice if it’s a sincere apology. I think genuine players actually do think about all those little kids that go home on top of their parents shoulders crying when their team lost. They understand that, even though it’s just a game, it can make or break peoples entire weekends.

On the other hand, if it’s just your generic social media manager message on twitter or instagram then forget it. Those people write messages all day for people and they tend to have no significant meaning or feeling behind them.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It’s nice if it’s a sincere apology. I think genuine players actually do think about all those little kids that go home on top of their parents shoulders crying when their team lost. They understand that, even though it’s just a game, it can make or break peoples entire weekends.
Nobody with a brain thinks Bruno wasn't gutted for missing that pen.

Anyone who demands or expects a written apology for a missed pen most certainly does not deserve one.

youmeletsfly

I used to work for a firm who employs over 30,000 people worldwide and everyone, including the big bosses would apologise sometimes.
How does apologizing for being late is compared to Bruno apologizing for missing a pen?

When speaking about actual work, not being late or something, no, I don't apologize. I assure people I'll do my best next time and that's how the people under me are as well.
I'm not interested in people apologizing, I'm interested in people realizing they fecked up and doing better the next time. That's what Bruno should've done as well.

I know apologizing is a courteous niche today, but I'm not into it when speaking about work, too many people hide behind it.