Players apologising after games

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
How does apologizing for being late is compared to Bruno apologizing for missing a pen?
They're both something that shouldn't happen, seems almost entirely avoidable but sometimes does happen. Everyone has either been late or been inconvenienced by someone else's lateness. Every player or fan has been frustrated by someone missing a pen.

Also not being at work when you should is absolutely a "work thing".

Cloud7

I hate it. It’s all pre prepared PR nonsense. An apology in football does nothing. Go out there in the next match and do better.

I still get flashbacks of the LVG/Jose era where we had Smalling/De Gea giving apologies after almost every match and then the next match is no better.

MayfieldsFinest

It's a generational thing. I personally don't like it because to my eyes it's either disingenuous or weak. However, I acknowledge that probably speaks more about me being a 40 year old who was brought up watching the likes of Keane, Cantona etc. who would never even countenance the fact that they should apologise for missing a chance. They'd get on with it.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Doesn’t matter either way surely? You either ignore it and get on with your life or take the apology and get in with your life.

Gary Neville going on about it is more embarrassing than any apology.

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
If Everton players started doing this there would be 11 statements every week.

JoaquinJoaquin

Feels like this started in the Ander Herrera years, that he and Mata were seemingly doing it on a weekly basis during those dark times :D

But personally I'm sick of seeing it after every defeat. Especially after frustrating ones like Saturday. I make sure I never like any of those, not that they care anyways :lol:. Just make sure you improve in the next game rather than writing 'statements'.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Doesn’t matter either way surely? You either ignore it and get on with your life or take the apology and get in with your life.

Gary Neville going on about it is more embarrassing than any apology.
It's not. Neville is spot on and I think most United fans are fed up with it.
It's contrived, it's completely masking the shambles of a performance from the team.
Nobody was really angry with Bruno, nor they should be with his penalty record.
The apologies coming from our players recently comes across as a bit cringe and disingenuous.
Roll up your sleeves and make sure you win your next match. Fans will appreciate that.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
It's not. Neville is spot on and I think most United fans are fed up with it.
It's contrived, it's completely masking the shambles of a performance from the team.
Nobody was really angry with Bruno, nor they should be with his penalty record.
The apologies coming from our players recently comes across as a bit cringe and disingenuous.
Roll up your sleeves and make sure you win your next match. Fans will appreciate that.
It is. It’s about as embarrassing as posts like this.

Can’t say I’m surprised that a lot of players apologise after defeats, individual errors etc., given the amount of vitriol directed at them by laughably entitled fans on social media. These types of fans clearly revel in anger and direct this at their club or their players to feel better about their own failings in life.

No doubt if players never apologised then a lot of “fans” would accuse them of not giving a feck, just being happy to accept a fat weekly cheque etc etc. They can’t win.

Fan entitlement is an epidemic; there seems to be this school of thought that abusing professional athletes is fair game simply because they’re rich. Because having a lot of money means you no longer have feelings and can’t be affected mentally by abuse apparently (and if they are affected it means they “don’t have the right mentality” according to some).

In summary, they shouldn’t have to apologise, but whether they choose to or not is their call - I’m equally nonplussed either way.

sugar_kane

It is incredibly annoying but standard nowadays, easily ignored.

What upsets me more is the prominence of the phrase "we go again" and especially when it is used by United players, it's a fecking Stevie G phrase and can get in the bin (unless being used to take the piss out of him)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Probably belongs in here

Yep, it does. Was just about to post this. If I were a player, I’d have him removed from my account immediately. How the feck can you come out with an interview like this, at this point in time? Talk about not reading the room.

I’ll manage my own socials, thanks.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yep, it does. Was just about to post this. If I were a player, I’d have him removed from my account immediately. How the feck can you come out with an interview like this, at this point in time? Talk about not reading the room.

I’ll manage my own socials, thanks.
"understand the narrative they want to tell"

So depressing. I don't want players coming out apologising for a start. But if they are going to do it, be themselves. All this PR bollox means absolutely nothing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
"understand the narrative they want to tell"

So depressing. I don't want players coming out apologising for a start. But if they are going to do it, be themselves. All this PR bollox means absolutely nothing.
It bloody is well depressing. Football has its soul completely sucked out.

And yeah I find our apologies absolutely nauseating.