Players leaving at HT vs Real Vallecano

Tragically Hip

How does this actually happens? The player just sneaks out the locker room? If one of my high school basketball players did this, I’d be utterly shocked.

Flexdegea

Did you actually read what Ten Hag said?

Yeah, he answered it well. He can hardly talk tough during interview and then massively contradict him with other part saying they ok.

But the Ronaldo stuff isn't even the same as the players not even involved in the match.

I'm sure we will find out if they in trouble too.

mshnsh

Ronaldo is 37 and has been in the game long enough to know this will be picked up on, especially with all the transfer rumours going on. He knew what he was doing.
What makes it worse is the fact that amongst the players who left early, Ronaldo was the only one in the squad. The others actually came to watch the match despite playing the previous day.

So it is not that he is only just being picked on because he is Ronaldo, it is because he is the biggest crook in this fiasco.

mu4c_20le

Yeah, he answered it well. He can hardly talk tough during interview and then massively contradict him with other part saying they ok.

But the Ronaldo stuff isn't even the same as the players not even involved in the match.

I'm sure we will find out if they in trouble too.
The thing is that half the publications out there, including bbc and sky sports, only provide half of what he said. He himself referred to "them" when he said its unacceptable, and that Ronaldo wasn't the only one. So clearly he has an issue with all of them leaving, not just match day squaddies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My mistake - awful phrasing . As I was leaving I bumped Fred, just near where the players park their cars. I was leaving and getting the tram.
That’s a pity. If anyone in our squad was ever going to get the tram I would most like to think it’s Fred.

I don’t think anyone would reasonably object to the players who weren’t in the matchday squad leaving early. Any more than any other spectators doing the same.

mshnsh

It’s tough but look at what happened when Lingard and Lev Henderson were kept at the club and were unhappy, and then multiply that by 1000 for Ronaldo. We can’t stick him on the bench or put him in the reserves or whatever.
We can. Especially in a world cup year. That'd show him who is the boss. I'm so angry at the fecktard.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The thing is that half the publications out there, including bbc and sky sports, only provide half of what he said. He himself referred to "them" when he said its unacceptable, and that Ronaldo wasn't the only one. So clearly he has an issue with all of them leaving, not just match day squaddies.
Much more likely he was trying to minimise the inevitable media shit show by trying to stop them turning it into “ETH calls out Ronaldo!” headlines.

Flexdegea

Will of their is wrong doing on their behalf as well for breaking rules he set out then they should be hammered too.

If that involves missing first game so he it.

Would love Ronaldo to be gone by then, but can't see anyone being in for him

mshnsh

He is trying to cool it down. Clearly, the only one who is really really wrong is the "king" himself.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
ETH - there is no I in team
Ronaldo - there is no team without Ronaldo

Ronaldo, probably.

Red For Ever

ten Hag is playing with fire if he really wants to keep Ronaldo. The guy is not only going to be a poison in the dressing room individually when he doesn't play; he'll probably influence the other players (especially the portuguese speaking ones) and another dressing room polarization/camping is the last thing we need.

I hope ten Hag isn't that naive to think otherwise. Just marginalize him and let him go. He shouldn't be the talking point throughtout the season.

He probably doesn't want to keep him, but we don't know for sure.

But any rules ETH announces must be followed by everyone, no matter who they are.
Ronaldo must know it will be an issue, and it will be picked up by all Media,
but still did it anyway, so once again United news is dominated with negativity with
Ronaldo at the centre once again.

The moment you let one do what he wants, then it's a major problem for the future.

Even though I never wanted him back, I didn't imagine this behaviour, I hope he isn't around much longer
I always thought Ronaldo came back for Ronaldo, not for United and the fans.

Red For Ever

I agree with you, but the word Crook always makes me think of a guy, with a mask, black and white striped top, and a bag over his shoulder.
Thanks, I now have a new vision of MeMe Ronaldo :D

CloneMC16

What is it with this club and constant drama? The season hasn't even started and it's already started.

Didn't the club say that players were given the okay to leave? I still found the reasoning weird. To beat the traffic? Our players have never left games early like that. Everybody should stay until the end. It sounds like someone in the club said they could leave, but ETH was never asked. Same thing seemed to happen last season with Lingard and Murtough giving him time off.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ten had is right in saying they should of all stayed until the end because we’re a team but just like the fans who leave a bit early every home game, it could of been to beat traffic and the mad rush out of there. Obviously it’s different being a player and the fans,

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What is it with this club and constant drama? The season hasn't even started and it's already started.

Didn't the club say that players were given the okay to leave? I still found the reasoning weird. To beat the traffic? Our players have never left games early like that. Everybody should stay until the end. It sounds like someone in the club said they could leave, but ETH was never asked. Same thing seemed to happen last season with Lingard and Murtough giving him time off.
It’s down to communication… obviously our club has none. We’re forever being talked about and always for the bad reasons.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its because the club allowed it. Rotten culture. Needs cleaning up. Its like when you have a shitty school, students can leave anytime and theres little the teachers can do about it.

clarkydaz

take anything the club says with a pinch of salt. all they will do is try and diffuse negative press and manipulate the fanbase

USREDEVIL

He probably left early as he made an ass out of himself calling himself "the king" (cantona is actually) and then didnt look very good and didnt score. Didnt want to be interviewed afters...again shit morals...

johanovic

Of course Ronaldo knew the interest his halftime walkout would create...Ten Hag has done right in calling him out and the others that left.....Ronaldo needs to be shipped out a.s.a.p...otherwise Ten Hag will lose face and that will undermine him beyond repair

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Whilst on paper I don’t disagree with you, I’d say the optics on the others leaving still isn’t good. It’s worse than not being there at all as you’re leaving it open to ~MANCHESTER UNITED STAR WALKS OUT ON GAME~ talk. They’d definitely be getting stick themselves if not for the far bigger issue of the model professional in the match day squad walking out.
No they wouldn't have. Only reasons they even got mentioned is because of Ronaldo. Players not part of the matchday squad coming in as spectators to watch the game have always been free to leave whenever they want. That's why they are in the directors box instead of the locker room.

It was their day off after playing a game 24 hours ago in another country. They were free to do whatever they wanted with their day off. Some opted to stay home and do other things, some choose to come watch the game as spectators. The guys who played Sunday themselves had a day off on Saturday when the first group was playing in another country. It was the Saturday's group turn to have a day off and were free to do what they wanted with it. Some choose to come watch the game and other choose to stay home. Without Ronaldo's actual poor behavior in this incident, there even wouldn't have been an issue to raise.

Last edited:

Mothy

In answer to an earlier post, Ronaldo didn't leave at halftime, he left with only a couple of minutes to go.

My son likes to leave the stadium early to go to the barriers and try to get some autographs and we watched him leave. He was smiling and waving at the fans.

It makes a better story that he stormed off in a huff at halftime though!!

Not to excuse his actions - he did leave early - but it was a matter of minutes before the end of the match.

CloneMC16

take anything the club says with a pinch of salt. all they will do is try and diffuse negative press and manipulate the fanbase
I wouldn't be surprised by that. If the club wanted to stop any negativity, ETH didn't get the memo, or just doesn't care.

Foxbatt

Since when does it require someone in the club to give permission for players to come or go? It's always the Manager's prerogative.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was a reserve team training match, right? It's not ideal for him to feck off early but come on.

"I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we're talking about practice. Practice!"

Revaulx

It was a reserve team training match, right? It's not ideal for him to feck off early but come on.

"I'm supposed to be the franchise player and we're talking about practice. Practice!"
Some of us are still living in the hope that he will be Chelsea's problem soon ;)

phelans shorts

No they wouldn't have. Only reasons they even got mentioned is because of Ronaldo. Players not part of the matchday squad coming in as spectators to watch the game have always been free to leave whenever they want. That's why they are in the directors box instead of the locker room.

It was their day off after playing a game 24 hours ago in another country. They were free to do whatever they wanted with their day off. Some opted to stay home and do other things, some choose to come watch the game as spectators. The guys who played Sunday themselves had a day off on Saturday when the first group was playing in another country. It was the Saturday's group turn to have a day off and were free to do what they wanted with it. Some choose to come watch the game and other choose to stay home. Without Ronaldo's actual poor behavior in this incident, there even wouldn't have been an issue to raise.
You’re making out that I have issue with them leaving, I just said that the optics aren’t good. We’re in a time when the relationship between the club and fans is at an incredibly low ebb, and optics are important in turning this around.

People would be complaining regardless at these players leaving if it came out, which is only exacerbated by him being incredibly unprofessional and causing it to blow up even further.