Players that made out a career for themselves by playing out of position

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What the title said, bonus points if they were all timers or at least world class in their new position.

Go

Devil81

He wasn't world class but didn't Paul Warhurst convert from a defender to an attacked at Sheffield Wednesday?

Big Andy

Bloke
Dion Dublin was a centre back at first and then moved up front.

Chris Sutton too I think. Both decent players up front.

Cloud7

Isn’t Sergi Roberto supposed to be a midfielder of some sort? Seems to play RB at Barcelona all the time and he’s pretty good there.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Does this count as players who switched positions while in an academy? Or after breaking into first team play somewhere?

I read somewhere online that Gallas started as a winger before moving to defense.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Does this count as players who switched positions while in an academy? Or after breaking into first team play somewhere?
Do both although the former could be tricky as their still developing so the latter would be more appreciated.

acnumber9

Scholes came through as a striker. Where do I collect my prize?

acolyte

Javier Mascherano. Seemed to end his career as a full time CB, while he started as one of the most promising defensive midfielders in the world.

acolyte

Another one: Bastian Schweinsteiger started as an attacking mid/wide attacker but didn't really kick on at Bayern until he transitioned to a controlling deep lying playmaker

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Javier Mascherano. Seemed to end his career as a full time CB, while he started as one of the most promising defensive midfielders in the world.
Another one: Bastian Schweinsteiger started as an attacking mid/wide attacker but didn't really kick on at Bayern until he transitioned to a controlling deep lying playmaker
Good examples, both world class in their new positions, the latter became an all timer.

Tarrou

Bale is one of the craziest ones really

was a bang average full-back for a while and then one day decided he was gonna be a world class winger instead

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Philip Lahm.

I don't think playing out of position is the right term though. More like made a their careers changing positions rather than playing out of position.

KeanoMagicHat

Zinchenko, should be a midfielder but played left back for City and now for Arsenal. Great as a midfielder for Ukraine.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
CAM to CDM isn't that much of a stretch, I think Schweinsteiger was the better example. He was a pure winger for the first third of his career before being turned into a central midfielder.

Probably a bit under the radar but Piszczek. Started as a striker, was even signed to Bundesliga as a striker by Hertha and then had a massive switch to right back, becoming world class for Dortmund for quite a few seasons.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Fábio Coentrão was deployed between winger and attacking midfielder before being adapted to fullback. Pepe played as defensive midfielder in Marítimo. Even at his first season at Porto he would play as defensive midfielder in a lot of games under Co Adriaanse, until finally settled in the defense.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Roberto Firmino: defensive or central midfielder to False 9, ultimately.
  • Claude Makelélé: right-winger to defensive midfielder.
  • Laurent Blanc: attacking midfielder to central defender or sweeper.
I've excluded less atypical cases of playing out position — like Andrea Pirlo from attacking midfielder to deep-lying playmaker, Thiago Silva from defensive midfielder to central defender or Juanfran from right-winger to right-fullback; those feel more natural and similar transitions have been successfully completed by soooooo many other players.

jdotman

Wan-bisaka was somehow a winger right up until he made his first team debut for palace as a RB because of injuries

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Sweeper or central defender with the main organising/passing responsibility - especially in a back five - was the go to position for a long time, when it came to aging/struggling midfield or attacking players needing a change or revival. Especially Germans in late 70s-90s...Sammer, Thon, Matthaus all had career resurgences in the position, but there are loads of examples. Boniek, Krol, Blanc, Hierro, Pirri, Sauzee, Morten Olsen, Chivadze are just some other ones that quickly come to mind.

Vladimir Bessonov in the late-70- 80s with Dynamo Kyiv played almost everywhere, but mostly as a central midfielder for the first half of his career, then transitioned fully to a rightback, where he was one of the best in europe, bringing a technically overqualified skillset to the position compared to what many teams were still using it for at the time.

Last edited:

RunTheTrap

Supports
Arsenal
Sergio Ramos- a world class right back turned central defender.
Iwobi- an average winger turned into a class CM.

RedTiger

Half mast
The one that stands out is obviously Bale going from average LB to world class wide forward.

I'd also add Andrea Pirlo. Went from a promising 10 to world class DLP.

Our very own Antonio Valencia becoming one of the world's best RBs for about a year or so.

Finally Ashley young going from a decent winger to getting picked for England in the LB slot.

chickensgowoof

Remember when Scholes first appeared SAF used him as a striker/super sub Ole role. Loads of examples if you go back far enough, a lot of players don't find their calling until later on in their career

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Piszczek was originally a striker an won two Bundesliga titles as a RB for Dortmund. The Bender twins both started as midfielders and ended as defenders, one CB and one RB.

Think there are very few at the absolute top level. Maybe Blanc who started as a CAM and ended up as a CB. I also recall that Sergio Ramos used to play RB for Madrid. But I think usually, players who are attackers but ultimately not good enough often make the switch to a being a defender.

Blackwidow

Schweinsteiger, Hargraeves, Breitner, Kimmich were midfielders in youth but broke through or were played on the wing first!

Chief123

Denis Irwin - originally a RB but played LB to accommodate Paul Parker?

Pirlo - started off as a deep forward. Ended up later as a CDM.

Kolo Toure - I remember him making his debut for Arsenal as a right winger. Then ended up playing a few different positions like RB but ended up settling as a CB.

Thierry Henry - was a fast winger and converted into one of the best ever strikers.

Wiltord - a striker who became a winger.

Lahm - Was a RB and ended up becoming a world class LB and also CDM.

Schweinsteiger - I remember him playing on the wings in his younger days and then becoming a central player.

KDB - Was a pacier winger in his earlier days at Chelsea and Wolfsburg.

Saka - A left back/wing back and now settled as RW.

Sadio Mane - primarily a right winger who switched to left wing once Salah joined.

Fabinho - A RB for Monaco and Madrid I believe. Became a CDM.

Chief123

Bale is the one that really stands out. Whoever thought he was a defender initially shouldn’t be working in football.
To be fair it wasn’t obvious he would make a good winger at that time. He wasn’t as good dribbling with the ball and as good in tight situations. He really developed into the winger role.

Chief123

Alan Smith - A striker who became a CDM.

James Milner - another striker who became a CM, Right winger, CDM, RB, LB

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Scholes, from forward to midfielder.

Bale, from full back to wing forward

Henry, from winger to forward

Neville, from CB to full back

Mascherano, from DM to CB

Ronaldo, from winger to WF to CF