Players that Should NOT Have Signed for United

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Fergies many times now admitted letting Stam go was a mistake, we lost a top class centre half and replaced him with an over the hill veteran, Blanc was decent but his lack of pace was a major problem especially in matches against higher class opposition, it was nice to see him Kiss Barthez on the shiner a few times though.

I think no i know for sure listening to Sir alex himself if he could go back hed not make that mistake again.
I don't think anyone would argue that letting Stam go was not a mistake.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Even though Kleberson fecked up, I understand why Ferguson signed him, because he was amazing at one-touch football and really good for Brazil when he captained them to the world cup gold in 2002.
He wasn't captain.

Amir

Owen scored that goal against City. A goal which, in itself, merited his free transfer.
People always say that and while I understand how important that goal was, I would have preffered a striker who would not have scored that goal, but may have been fit in the latter parts of the season and made a title-winning difference. As big as the derby is, as big as that derby was, look at the bigger picture.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
People always say that and while I understand how important that goal was, I would have preffered a striker who would not have scored that goal, but may have been fit in the latter parts of the season and made a title-winning difference. As big as the derby is, as big as that derby was, look at the bigger picture.
This isn't about other strikers. It's purely about Micheal Owen playing for the club and in my opinion that goal against City justifies signing him in a fre transfer. That goal alone was with it.

pauldyson1uk

I can't beleve that Owen , PIG and Carrick are even mentioned in this tread

PIG has not been that bad.
Owen injuries have rob us of him been a good squad played.
Carrick :confused: sorry him being in here is just wrong

solvista

Shawshank redemption
Taibi
Blanc - A little sluggish maybe, but a very fine defender IMO
Goram - Andy and Fergy are old mates, he was only there to wind the Celtic fans up in a friendly/testimonial
Bellion - Looked promising to begin with, like Veron I suppose. Never really came through
Barthez - Apart from knocking a ball or two on to his fellow frenchmen to score, he was a reasonable keeper, as long as you didn't want to save any penalties. Look at who's boots he was trying to fill, hard act to follow
Dong - OK, I agree
Manucho - OK, I agree
Cruyff - Not fit to lace his dad's boots
Owen - Was cheap though

There were others who flopped but to be honest I thought there moves were worthwhile, I have only listed the ones where I went...Oh dear god why!
well, I agree with some things you said.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Nevland, set his career back by rotting in reserves and showed he was failry capable at Fulham recently

But you cannot blame any of the players for signing but when players lose years by playing reserve team footall in their early 20's it has to be deemed a waste.

Greening too probably wasted a couple of years with us too after joining from York, when he could have easily used those years to play for lesser teams but at least would be getting regular games.

Hitchcocker

Barthez. Came in as one of the world's best goalkeepers in the world. Exited United as a clown.

Sauxees Moi Hui

Alan Smith. Signed for United in 2004, pissing off Leeds fans to no end and burning all his bridges there. Then, 3 months later, United signed Wayne Rooney. Smith ended up playing a defensive midfielder, then injured, then at Newcastle. I'm sure that he wishes that he never signed with us. We really dicked him over.

RemiMoses

Most players, you could see why we signed them. Even if they didn't work out. Bosnich was a bad one. He hadn't done as well in his latter Villa years and his nazi salute at Spurs fans was crass beyond belief

204Red

What was wrong with Blanc? :confused:

He'd lost all pace but still did a good job as a stop gap imo.
Blanc was clearly a class player... but signed too late in his career. Could you imagine a Stam Blanc partnership three years earlier?

Or Blanc coming here in the mid 90s, post Steve Bruce?

Roger

Ber....

..ry. Bill Berry. Came to the club in 1906 after three seasons for Tottenham, but he mostly played for our reserve team. We sold him to Stockport in 1909.
Yes he was awful wasn't he.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Threads like this bring out the clueless on here. To compare Cruyff to his dad is ridiculous. Jordi didn't get a lot of goals but the ones he did score were pretty important ones. He was a decent squad player.

Andy Goram only played twice for us, to suggest we signed a player simply as a wind up is idiotic.

I agree about Bosnich though.

204Red

Taibi
Blanc
Goram
Bellion
Barthez
Dong
Manucho
Cruyff
Owen

There were others who flopped but to be honest I thought there moves were worthwhile, I have only listed the ones where I went...Oh dear god why!
Barthez was one of the top, if not the best, keepers in the world when we signed him. May not have panned out, but I was happy to see him arrive when he did.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Mark Bosnich - I never rated the fella although I was very young when he came to us. I just remember feeling sick everytime I saw him play.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think he was quite unfortunate. We signed him on the back of a good Euros then in his first season David Beckham went and scored that goal against Wimbledon. Once that happened, there was no turning back.
He still played a fair number of matches but I don't recall if he really reached those anticipated heights.

UnitedRoadRed

Birtles, Brazil, Davenport, Milne, Miller, Djemba, Kleberson, Fortune, Veron, Taibi, Terry Gibson, Danny Wallace, Roy Carroll, Ricardo, Veron, Dong, Manucho

Some of them more with hindsight than anything else but I can understand why some of them were signed.

RemiMoses

Barthez was one of the top, if not the best, keepers in the world when we signed him. May not have panned out, but I was happy to see him arrive when he did.
Barthez was brilliant in his first season (except for that Di Canio goal!) but after that season, his lack of height was found out. Note the number of chipped/lobbed goals in his latter 2 seasons.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
The thread title is not actually reflecting the actual content of the thread. There is no sane human being that would not sign for United especially after the club has expressed interest, negotiated and agreed terms with their parent club.

I am sure as surprising as it gets to some of these players when they hear us interested, they still can't say no to United even when all logic says otherwise. Imagine in the case of Mickey Owen, after all that effort into making a brochure to whore himself, the public expression of interest from the likes of Stoke and a few others, bang Fergie comes on the phone. What would you have done in his shoes?

This should be a thread about players that United shouldn't have signed not the other way round. It makes little sense for a club like ours to even have been interested in the likes of Laurent Blanc who had already played one too many games, Michael " I am no sick note" Owen, Bebe etc.

sparky

How do you judge this type of question?

Because it's very easy to do so with the benefit of hindsight. Alot of signings which would be seen as fitting the profile of a club like United at the actual time and being for the benefit of the clubs were ultimately bad buys(Veron, Birtles, etc) and others who think were abit below the expectations of a club like United went onto to be relative success.

A good contrast is this.

Personally, I would not expect a club like United to sign an experienced but passed his best keeper whose peak years were spent with mid table and relegation threatened sides who had lost his place with such a team and then play him as number one for a whole season and a hat-trick of cup finals.

Conversely, I probably would expect and approve of United signing an experenced keeper with a good track record of winning trophies in their domestic league, being the international number one for their country for a decade and also being seen as one of the best keepers in Britain for a time.

Nevertheless, Les Sealey fits the example put in example one and he was a good signing for United who served United well, whereas Jim Leighton fits the second example and he still gives me nightmares until this day.

My personal list would include most of Atkinson's signings in his last season and abit. They put the club backwards, including:

Peter Davenport
Terry Gibson
Peter Barnes
Chris Turner

Should never have been United players IMO.
Ah Les Sealey!!! Signed him on loan first I think. Part of United history now as part of the team that supposedly saved SAF from the chop. Got his chance when SAF finally lost patience with Leighton and his dire performance in the cup final. RIP Sealy.