Players we signed that turned out to be hopeless

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Obertan is a funny one cause I remember telling caftards back then that he was basically shit and was never gonna make it with us :lol: Never understood what people saw in him, I clearly remember one of his fanboys still active on the caf these days :D

ObieDeMoon

Anderson never really got the heights expected of him. Not saying he's hopeless or disappointing but a real shame. He was slightly over weight for most of his time at United but I loved him. Also loved his chant -

Ander son son son ! Twice as good as kleberson! Ander son son son

Revaulx

Agree with you on McQueen. Joe Jordan, another scot, who we also signed from Leeds. Would you say the same about him? I was a bit disappointed in him although looking at the stats he did get a number of goals for us.
Jordan’s an interesting one. His scoring record at Leeds was nothing special; he was known as an aggressive defence-destroyer more than as an actual footballer, and a lot of fans didn’t want him signed on the basis that he “wasn’t a United player”. Shades of Fellaini then :D

Once he actually started playing people fairly soon changed their opinion of him. His all-action style was fun to watch, and his scoring rate was better than it had been at Leeds. His departure for Italy left a bad taste; the club wouldn’t accede to his demands for £1,000 per week (!) and most of the fans thought they were right to stand firm. His successor was Frank Stapleton, who was more prolific but also more dull.

Revaulx

How about Buttner? I thought he offered nothing except his debut goal.
Cheap backup; brought in on the expectation that he’d rarely have to play as Evra was hardly ever injured. All went according to plan. I’d have rather seen a youngster given the role, but presumably SAF didn’t think any of them were good enough.

If he’d been bought with a view to replacing Evra in the long term then he’d have been a very bad buy. But he wasn’t.

Red_Orchestra

Fabien Barthez.
He was a highly rated French Goalkeeper who played for Monaco and the French International team.
I knew he wouldn't succeed at United because I thought he was all hype and wasn't that good to begin with. He only lasted a few years but during his reign we were all paranoid while he was on goal.

I will never forget those two blunders he committed against Arsenal by the way.
Mr. Barthez, we will never forget.

Revaulx

Not in line with th OP, as he was never "hopeless" but for me Gordon Strachan will always be associated with Leeds, even though he made 160 apps for us. Reason: he played so much better for them. The team we sold him to.
Indeed. Everyone was really excited when he was signed. He had a good first season, was injured for lots of his second and thereafter it was obvious he didn't get along with Fergie.

Many tears were shed when Whiteside and McGrath were shipped out, but few for Strachan. Nobody could have foreseen that several years of consistent brilliance lay ahead. Cnut :mad:

Apokalips

Not trying to wind up. Rafael gave away too many penalties and too many red cards.
I didn't factor in price. Just expected more from the young Brazilians. Seven seasons was generous on our part.
How many penalties and how many reds?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I see Barthez mentioned a few times. I was a kid when he played for us, and for some reason I quite liked him...

What was his story? I remember a few brain fade moments, but did he generally play well?? Or was he quite bad? Or just inconsistent?
I remember him as world class. World class saves too. And then world class mistakes like giving the ball straight to Henry and arsenal fans singing his name.

armoskills

As much as I liked him, Diego Forlan turned out to be pretty hopeless for us.
Fantastic before and after playing for united, and great internationally. Its hard to put my finger on what it is with some players that can't perform in certain styles of play. I have a feeling some of our current underperforming players will thrive elsewhere...

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Falcao. When you think about that front line - Rooney, Di Maria, RVP, Falcao - what went wrong?
Falcao for me too.
If somebody told me that that was our front line, before the season started, I'd have said that we are going to tear defences to shreds. Unfortunately, we went the opposite way of playing ultra defensive football because we couldn't score goals.
Falcao was unable to stay on his feet and was useless. His speciality was scoring 0 goals per game and falling over when the ball was played to him.
Di Maria was sidelined and Ashley Young was preferred.
Rooney was on the decline.
RVP was mostly injured that season.

The following season, LVG would sell all our forwards, buy Martial and keep Rooney, who by this time was also, useless.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Fangzou, Bellion, Depay, Kleberson and Mourinho.
I will admit that Mourinho, so far, has been a let down.
I expected us to challenge for the title last season, though he did win 2 trophies.
I do hope he turns things around and takes us to the top, though. Contrary to what people on this forum think, he still has the rest of the season to do something good and if he does, he'll be the manager next season, too. He needs to show some fight, like he did in our last match.

SirMattlives

Lots of names from the past here that I'd forgotten (or repressed, more like). Still recall the jeers over Macdougall's season. In recent times, Di Maria was the worst for me -- he seemed overwhelmed by everything and largely disinterested.

For those who remember back further, how was Peter Davenport rated? I liked him a lot as a player but his scoring rate seemed low, and there's that 'Birtles' syndrome about strikers we bought from Forest that seems to linger. I think SAF didn't rate him too highly or thought he was not physically strong enough, can't remember now, but I was disappointed to see him leave, even if it paved the way for Sparky to return.

Reactions: Invictus

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Tickles me the amount of United fans that still mention Barthez's bloopers against Arsenal, and granted they were shocking, but conveniently ignore the fact if it hadn't been for him pulling off 8 or 9 world-class saves earlier in the game we'd have been on the receiving end of a royal good doing(probably our worst ever defeat in the entire SAF era) as Arsenal were in imperious form on the day.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Honestly today still boggles my mind how SAF decided to sign Bebe. And for 9M... few months earlier he was playing in the homeless league ffs.

BigRon1985

Most of the big money strikers we signed in the 1980's, Peter Davenport, Garry Birtles, Terry Gibson.
United was a graveyard for newly signed strikers in the 80s. They couldn’t handle the pressure and expectation. I still can’t believe we had to wait till we signed Brian McClair before we got a player who could score 20 goals a season - the first time since George Best in 1967.........

Oldyella

Honestly today still boggles my mind how SAF decided to sign Bebe. And for 9M... few months earlier he was playing in the homeless league ffs.
Someone did well out of that deal..

Schneiderlin for me. In a summer of massive signings for us I thought he would be the best of the bunch but the guy just wilted under pressure of playing for a big club.

And for those naming Veron? Have a word, no shame in not being able to break into a midfield that some argued was the best the PL had ever seen.
Always thought his best games came whenever Keane was out, and he took on more responsibility, but then as soon as Keane would come back his influence would diminish as he would defer to Keane.

ypsipeos

Not trying to wind up. Rafael gave away too many penalties and too many red cards.
I didn't factor in price. Just expected more from the young Brazilians. Seven seasons was generous on our part.
I will never forgive him for what he did against Bayern. It would have been one more CHL win for us.
But he was not a disappointment. We had no high hopes for him.

BigRon1985

Anyone remember Mark Higgins who we signed from Everton in December 1985? Came with a big reputation and as their ex captain much was expected. He lasted 6 games before being loaned out to Bury and then sold to them a year later. I remember seeing his debut at Old Trafford - he was literally shaking with nerves..:(

Last edited by a moderator:

El Jefe

Obertan is a funny one cause I remember telling caftards back then that he was basically shit and was never gonna make it with us :lol: Never understood what people saw in him, I clearly remember one of his fanboys still active on the caf these days :D
There was a shitty 2min highlight reel of him running in a straight line doing multiple stepovers that got this place excited (me included unfortunately).

In hindsight wtf were we thinking in that 2009 window. Losing Tevez and Ronaldo and bringing in Valencia, Owen and bean head.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I sometimes call a player "a Veron" or doing "a Veron" because for me he's the epitome of an overestimated player who plays visually attractive but actually lacks football intelligence.

An example of doing a Veron: track backwards to help the defense, pick up the ball, mightily charge forward, across midfield, and finally depositing the ball at a forward 10m away, who loses it because the defense tracked back, resulting in a counter-attack, where he is out of position.
Compare to Iniesta: stays in position and lets the defenders do the work, makes himself available for the pass from the back, quickly passes forward to a forward, who shoots at goal because the defense is still out of position.

A ball delivery service doesn't equal good football.
One, they're different players. Two, have you ever seen Veron play? Above doesn't describe him (in terms of career) at all.... he may well have done what you described occasionally but so have most all midfielders.

Good player, didn't work out for us.

Bocca9978

How many penalties and how many reds?
Apparently only three red cards. But we dropped point every time.
Probably a poor example but I thought he was shit.

I can’t be bothered to look at penalties.

68Guns

We've signed loads of crap players at big money. Lindeloff is the worst by a mile, the game is just too fast for him, he has no positional sense, lacks pace and is soft as sh*t in a tackle.
Defenders are supposed to be rock hard bullies not soft cream cakes, he's a fraud and a shocking buy, wouldn't get a place in the MUFC ladies team

RooneyLegend

Sir Alex made some of the worst signings you could ever imagined being made. I'm pretty confident that he signed a lot of these players 'blind' just trusting those around him. No one can explain the likes of Dong, Diouf, Bebe and Obertan.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I know Veron gets abused a lot but I loved that guy. The games he was good he was real good.
He was brilliant in Europe, scored some great goals and linked up with Beckham fantastically. The prem clearly didn't really suit him, but I hate seeing him stuck in the Djemba-Djemba bucket of flops cos that aint true- he helped us win a league tbf.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Sir Alex made some of the worst signings you could ever imagined being made. I know, it's a wonder that he's held in such high regard I'm pretty confident that he signed a lot of these players 'blind' just trusting those around him. Manager trusts scouts report shocker No one can explain the likes of Dong, Diouf, Bebe and Obertan. It doesn't, or shouldn't need explaining

manutddjw

I loved him as personality but Anderson was the definition of hopeless. The thing was he had the talent to be a top player, but for whatever reason he was lazy, unmotivated and had a poor work ethic. He was just happy to be here. I get he had injury issues, but I’d venture to guess that a lot of those injuries could’ve been avoided had he put effort into his fitness and body.

I get people listing Bebe, Diouf, Buttner, Dong etc and they were certainly hopeless but in the end they were cheap punts whose signing had no bearing on the first team or future planning. Guys like Anderson who was supposed to be a Scholes replacement or Schneiderlin who was supposed to be the guy in midfield were far worse.

Fingeredmouse

Fabien Barthez.
He was a highly rated French Goalkeeper who played for Monaco and the French International team.
I knew he wouldn't succeed at United because I thought he was all hype and wasn't that good to begin with. He only lasted a few years but during his reign we were all paranoid while he was on goal.

I will never forget those two blunders he committed against Arsenal by the way.
Mr. Barthez, we will never forget.
He was fantastic in his first season. Went a bit pear shaped after that.

Jezpeza

There was a shitty 2min highlight reel of him running in a straight line doing multiple stepovers that got this place excited (me included unfortunately).

In hindsight wtf were we thinking in that 2009 window. Losing Tevez and Ronaldo and bringing in Valencia, Owen and bean head.
Haha. We were pissing in our own pool.
Shitting on our own doorstep. Sewing the seeds of our own destruction. That’s where it all started for me. We should have gone straight out and signed Ribery or someone similar at the time. That was the start of the slide for us. 80m through the door on top of what we already had from revenues etc and the best we could do was that.

Jezpeza

Someone did well out of that deal..

Schneiderlin for me. In a summer of massive signings for us I thought he would be the best of the bunch but the guy just wilted under pressure of playing for a big club.

And for those naming Veron? Have a word, no shame in not being able to break into a midfield that some argued was the best the PL had ever seen.
Always thought his best games came whenever Keane was out, and he took on more responsibility, but then as soon as Keane would come back his influence would diminish as he would defer to Keane.
I liked Vernon he just didn’t quite work
For us and we didn’t have a berth for him. Remember some mega European nights from him and an ace display in a 2-2 draw away at derby and a 4 - 0 win at Everton.

Revaulx

I vaguely remember him having a run of very good games alongside Phil Neville, not long before he was sold. The pair of them seemed to bring out the best in each other.