Players we signed that turned out to be hopeless

stevoc

Not trying to wind up. Rafael gave away too many penalties and too many red cards.
I didn't factor in price. Just expected more from the young Brazilians. Seven seasons was generous on our part.
Rafael had 3 red cards in 7 seasons you make it out like he was getting himself sent off every other week. I’m sure he didn’t give away more than a handful of penalties either. No more than most other young fullbacks would concede anyway.

Philip Charnock

Supports
BOLTON Wanderers.
Veron was deemed a bad signing given the high standard of our squad/midfield options. That signing now would be considered a success.

Sanchez deserves more time before lasting judgements are made.

Others that jump to mind immediately are Taibi, Prunier, and Obertan. Unless this thread is about players that came with high expectations but ultimately flopped?
Vernon was excellent considering his service was lacking. High skill levels that went unappreciated.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Veron is an interesting case. He arrived in Manchester with a big reputation, and although he was labelled a flop, he didn’t do too badly all things considered. 11 goals and 15 assists from midfield is very respectable.

When you look at Veron’s career after United, he flopped at both Chelsea and Inter before going back to Argentina. Maybe he just peaked early. I know he was only 26 when United signed him, but some players do peak at a young age.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
there will be a long list of those signings but for me the biggest failures would be where we massively overpaid for the value we got back. For that instance I don't think Poborsky was the worst, didn't click for him but we had D. fecking Backham here. Bebe was worth a try, truly raw talent but I can see where we were heading. Not sure about Obertan but at least he wasn't that expensive either. Saf got some of those right before like with Evra or Vidic so why not to have a go. Then there will be the unlucky ones with injuries like Anderson.

BUT the true failures in the recent memory would be Darmian, Falcao, DiMaria, Lindelof - awful players not better than we have had or massively failed, didn't adapt - thats di Maria's case which was worth a punt, similarly Veron but at least he tried, just didn't click for him di Maria is one of the most hated man for me, an absolute prick of a mercenary.

BTW I also had high expectations for Kagawa and Mkhitaryan but they were not THAT expensive
Sanchez will turn good imo with a new manager

Legendary

Matic, the guy had a two month honeymoon period with us, but since then has been completely dire.

Yet for some reason does not get any stick.

He holds on to the ball far too long, until all available passes are marked, then gets tackled from behind, and after instead of recovering just gives his cheeky smile.
He doesn't tackle, or win headers it's bizarre.

Fellaini showed him up at the beginning of the season playing the same position, and we all agreed Fellaini shouldn't be a DM.

No wonder Chelsea fans laughed at us for spending 40m on him.

Guess it's just more in vogue to hate our best player Pogba for haircuts and shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

montpelier

Most of the big money strikers we signed in the 1980's, Peter Davenport, Garry Birtles, Terry Gibson.
Yeah, I was going there. Gibson was just as bad as Birtles. And that was proper terrible.

Barthez - possibly too small, as well.

montpelier

Indeed. And Mickey Thomas was hardly hopeless. Some people resented his signing because he replaced the mercurial Gordon Hill.

Davenport wasn’t hopeless either; certainly not on the Birtles scale. He came into a team on the slide and was expected to replicate Hughes’s style of play; he just wasn’t that type of player.

As a signing Zaha clearly was a disaster. We have no idea if he was, or would have been, hopeless. He got three games, but has gone on to do ok.

People seem to have forgotten Alan Foggon. And what about Ian Ure? George Graham?
The coordination & footballing skills level of an oversized toddler. And turned like the Ark Royal having steering difficulties.

Do you mean that Ian Ure?

madzo2007

Don't think you can really count Prunier, he was only on loan for a month or so since we had no defenders left. He just happened to play and badly in that 4-1 defeat at Spurs at the start of 1996

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Mickey T was brutally honest when he said the club was too big for him and he'd hide in the toilets at Old Trafford until everybody had gone home, but considering he came to the club as a midfielder and was converted by Dave Sexton into a winger, and was replacing a fans favourite in Merlin he did great, what we'd give now for a winger scoring a goal every four games as he did in the 78/79 season(40 apps/10 goals)

And nobody will ever be able to take his cross for Jimmy Greenhoff at the FA Cup Semi-final Replay(79)away from him(@5:16), still get goosebumps watching it...

And on Davenport, SAF admitted one of his early mistakes was getting rid of him too soon because he could have done a job for the club anywhere across the front line.
Great clip, my favourite away kit that. I bought a replica a couple of years ago and even at the age of 50 i had to get Coppell and 7 printed on the back.
Back on topic, i'll include Peter Barnes, great for City, garbage for us.

BigRon1985

Great clip, my favourite away kit that. I bought a replica a couple of years ago and even at the age of 50 i had to get Coppell and 7 printed on the back.
Back on topic, i'll include Peter Barnes, great for City, garbage for us.
I remember a few matches with Peter Barnes on the left wing and Arthur Graham from Leeds on the right wing when it really clicked - some of the best attacking football that season under Ron Atkinson, the crosses were literally flying in!

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
I remember a few matches with Peter Barnes on the left wing and Arthur Graham from Leeds on the right wing when it really clicked - some of the best attacking football that season under Ron Atkinson, the crosses were literally flying in!
I may be wrong here but didn't Graham leave at the end of 84/85 season the same time Barnes was signed? I don't think they ever appeared together in a United shirt, although they could well have appeared together with Leeds.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Falcao is probably the worst in recent years when you think about it. Even Sanchez and Di Maria have had/had some good moments in a United shirt. The Sanchez goal v Spurs last season was actually pretty memorable. Falcao scored one decent header against Villa and a couple of scruffy tap ins and the rest of the time was absolutely hopeless.

FujiVice

Don't think you can really count Prunier, he was only on loan for a month or so since we had no defenders left. He just happened to play and badly in that 4-1 defeat at Spurs at the start of 1996
The greatest trick the devil played was putting all the blame on Prunier and not Kevin Pilkington and Gary Neville for that 4-1 defeat. They were just as bad in that game.

Revaulx

I may be wrong here but didn't Graham leave at the end of 84/85 season the same time Barnes was signed? I don't think they ever appeared together in a United shirt, although they could well have appeared together with Leeds.
Pretty sure you’re right.

Barnes took a while to settle in, and did have games where he looked garbage, but was pretty good once he got going. I think his confidence was completely shot when he arrived. Just as he’d started to show some consistent form he was got rid of. That was pretty much the start of Big Ron starting to buy and sell players in a totally scattergun way.

MAME DIOUF 32

Pretty amazing that in Darmian we signed an Italian international defender for something like £12 million and got ripped off.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Someone said Berbatov :lol: :wenger:

Won the PL Golden boot joint with Tevez. Scored 20 league goals that season, which is the 2nd most in a season in his whole career.

Hatrick vs the Bin Dippers and also scored 5 in a game for us. The only other player to do that for us was Andy Cole.

1 of only 5 players in PL history to score 5 in a game.

The thread title is players that turned out to be hopeless. Not players that were a great success.

What a ridiculous suggestion :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Won the PL Golden boot joint with Tevez. Scored 20 league goals that season, which is the 2nd most in a season in his whole career.

Hatrick vs the Bin Dippers and also scored 5 in a game for us. The only other player to do that for us was Andy Cole.

The thread title is players that turned out to be hopeless. Not players that were a great success.

Wouldn't say he was a great success, but to say he was a flop is nonsensical

Right place, but probably the wrong time

A joy to watch when on blob though

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Pretty sure you’re right.

Barnes took a while to settle in, and did have games where he looked garbage, but was pretty good once he got going. I think his confidence was completely shot when he arrived. Just as he’d started to show some consistent form he was got rid of. That was pretty much the start of Big Ron starting to buy and sell players in a totally scattergun way.
To be honest, i can't really remember too much about him apart from the stick he recieved in the United road paddock. Think he scored the last in a 3 or 4 nil win at OT during that great start in 85/86 and that he once said in an interview that he was that terrified of Ferguson, he used to hide in the toilets whenever he was around :lol:

Revaulx

To be honest, i can't really remember too much about him apart from the stick he recieved in the United road paddock. Think he scored the last in a 3 or 4 nil win at OT during that great start in 85/86 and that he once said in an interview that he was that terrified of Ferguson, he used to hide in the toilets whenever he was around :lol:
I used to go to quite a lot of away matches in those days, and Barnes was invariably better in those. There was undoubtedly still a player in there, but the combination of low confidence and his City background gave him little chance. I still think that the mellower Fergie of 20 years later wouldn’t have binned him off so quickly, but would have worked to restore his confidence.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Had a feeling Falcao & Sanchez would be shit for us when we signed them. Ones who I thought would be good & really disappointed me were Anderson, Zaha (not completely his fault), Di Maria, Schneiderlin & Depay.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Bebe, Kleberson, Obertan, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion, Macheda, Eagles, Dong and potentially Lukaku (if he continues like this, 75 fecking million for a striker with no first touch, that is just pathetic)

Djemba-Djemba

I wouldn't class Berbatov as a great success at all.

We made it to the Champions League final twice when he was here, he was on the bench for one and didn't even make the squad for the other. Your most expensive transfer ever doesn't tend to be completely dropped from the squad for the biggest game of the season if he's been a great success.