Players who don't fit in

cloud218

Park - Actually plays for Manchester United, and used to play in non-Korean leagues for most of his lives. Stands out too much for a Korean.

B Cantona

Desperate
:nono:

Northern Ireland in the 1980's had a few decent players, Gerry Armstrong, Norman Whiteside, Martin O'Neill (played for Forest under Clough).
Republic have had shitloads, the current team not so much but down the years Liam Brady, Ray Houghton, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Damien Duff (when at Blackburn)
fecking hell, only someone Irish would bring up Ray Houghton as a riposte to what I just said... :houllier:

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Kuyt being Dutch, who aren't renowned for their hard-working mentality, more pure technical ability.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There is no dissapointment here,in general we're eager to see more of him.Domenech doesn't trust him yet and Benzema seems like in confidence half the player he is at Lyon.
Maybe mentally he's not ready :confused: but we know that he's better than Gourcuff as a player (despite not playing in the same position) and even if there are signs of impatience we're waiting.
It doesn't help to have Domenech

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I always think threads like this overstate the issue and buy into stereotypes too easily. Hoddle might not have been a typical English centre midfielder but he was hardly a one off at the time. He was probably the best of his type around and the national side did not make the best use of his talents but there were plenty of players in the 80's with similar traits to Hoddle, just not as good or graceful or had some differences which made them slightly different. For example, Wilkins, Webb and Gascoingne were all players who were broadly around the same time who I would not class as typical English centre midfielders(like Robbo, Reid, Mcmahon, etc) who all have some parallels with Hoddle(stretching abit in Wilkins's case) and who were different to the box to box players who England always seem to have a good stockpile of.

Same with Le Tissier. He was talented as hell but there were plenty of other players who played a similar position to him in the late 80's and early 90s. Beardsley and Clough(who was a big prospect in his early days) could both play off a 'typical' English striker and whose had the ability to play in the hole. Gascoinge and Barnes could also perform this role if given a free role, although Gascoinge was never used in this way for England. Later on in Le Tissier's career Teddy and Scholes were also about. I reckon all of these players could arguably classed as not typically 'English'.
Non-box to box midfielders????

England have had plenty down the years including: Bobby Charlton, Johnny Haynes, Bobby Robson, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Neil Webb, Stan Pearson, Joe Mercer, Trevor Steven, Paul Gascoigne, Rodney Marsh, Ray Wilkins, Paul Scholes, Peter Beardsley, Graham Rix, Glenn Hoddle, Don Revie, Albert Quixall, George Eastham, Gordon Cowans, Martin Peters, Alan Mullery, Trevor Brooking.......

Sure we have also had the likes of Bryan Robson, Steve McMahon, Paul Ince, Paul Madeley, David Rocastle, Alan Ball, Duncan Edwards, Peter Reid amongst others.....

But to say that a classic English midfielder is in the box-to-box category is wrong. I reckon if you analyse the stats, the you will find that it would be pretty even between creative players and more dynamic players.

And don't forget that the likes of Robson and Edwards could also create and score goals too!

El B

fecking hell, only someone Irish would bring up Ray Houghton as a riposte to what I just said... :houllier:
To be fair he was before my time, so anytime i think of Ray Houghton i pretty much think of his volley against Italy 1994, Header against England 1988. You cant pick one player out of a list and use that as your criticism. You say all Iris players are shite, thats quite obviously not true. Cock

B Cantona

Desperate
My point is George Best stands out as a genius player amongst tosh in his homeland

You wouldn't necessarily expect any different, given the size of the country, and the strength of its domestic league. Throwing Ray Houghton at me to disprove this theory aint exactly doing it if you ask me

Oh, and my other point was to prove how completely nonsensical this whole thread is. It's all stereotypical nonsense. Just funny that some of the Irish have chosen to pick up on my particular stereotype