Players who don't fit in

Partizan

Cheesy
We survived being bankrupt,we survived German bomb
Yeah I did. Never heard of him before if I'm honest but he's certainly closer to berbatov than Stoichkov was.
Lovely balanced player with an eye for goal, scored Bulgarias only goal in the world cup of 1966. Benfica were willing to pay BIG money for him in the mid sixties, but the Communist government wouldn't allow it to go ahead.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Marcelo :lol:

Haven't seen his lack of ability so evident as much as it was against Liverpool... left back for the brazilian future my arse.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
What exactly is a "continental defender"?

If it's being able to play the ball out of defence, he's certainly got that.

If it's being strong in the tackle and in the air, he's certainly got that.

If it's having an exotic name, it certainly doesn't get more exotic than the City Of God.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player

If it's having an exotic name, it certainly doesn't get more exotic than the City Of God.
Most "Continental defenders" are Italian bastards who "sweep".

Makes me sick, Rio is brilliant and is in a class of his own, shouldn't be titled under some headline that is a mockery for his skills.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Someone who's able to bring the ball out from the back with his own dribbling, or through good passes.

Generally someone who'd get involved in the build-up well, building the play up from the back.

That's what I'd call a continental defender.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
There's enough, nil' are English though.

However Rio's brother is a bit of a wannabe Continental defender.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Wtf ?Since when in recent years Brazil had solid LBs.Besides he wasn't a LB that night.
Are you saying Brazil haven't had a LB ever?

And i'm QUITE aware he wasn't a left back, same with Drenthe for Holland (?) ... the pair of them are rubbish they play out of position and will never reach the heights they were so over-hyped.

Marcelo is out of place at Real by eons.

B Cantona

Desperate
Brilliant, I'm the first to describe the Germans as 'efficient'

Does George Best deserve a mention? Irish footballers are shite, but he was brilliant, talk about not fitting in

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Are you saying Brazil haven't had a LB ever?

And i'm QUITE aware he wasn't a left back, same with Drenthe for Holland (?) ... the pair of them are rubbish they play out of position and will never reach the heights they were so over-hyped.

Marcelo is out of place at Real by eons.
I'm saying Brazil's LBs in recent years were never exceptional.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
I'm saying Brazil's LBs in recent years were never exceptional.
More reason for people to claim he's the future, and he's done nothing to warrant that in my honest opinion,

Mind you, he is 20 years old, ALOT of time yet so i'll never give a final opinion of him... just think he's out of place at Real.

I think we have crossed signals.

El B

Brilliant, I'm the first to describe the Germans as 'efficient'

Does George Best deserve a mention? Irish footballers are shite, but he was brilliant, talk about not fitting in
:nono:

Northern Ireland in the 1980's had a few decent players, Gerry Armstrong, Norman Whiteside, Martin O'Neill (played for Forest under Clough).
Republic have had shitloads, the current team not so much but down the years Liam Brady, Ray Houghton, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Damien Duff (when at Blackburn)

kouroux

More reason for people to claim he's the future, and he's done nothing to warrant that in my honest opinion,

Mind you, he is 20 years old, ALOT of time yet so i'll never give a final opinion of him... just think he's out of place at Real.

I think we have crossed signals.
We sort of agree,in a huge club like Madrid he shouldn't even be playing regularly as they should have better players but tbh their squad is weak compared to other big european teams and Marcelo has his chance.
Or he could become another Cicinho

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Anderson = Argentinian

More like Mascherano than Gilberto or Kleberson. Argentinians are far more physically combative than the Brazillians they often get lumped in with. It's a South American generalisation that they're all silky & skillfull....But if we go with that generalisation you could also claim Tevez = English

kouroux

Anderson = Argentinian

More like Mascherano than Gilberto or Kleberson. Argentinians are far more physically combative than the Brazillians they often get lumped in with. It's a South American generalisation that they're all silky & skillfull....But if we go with that generalisation you could also claim Tevez = English
We have never seen Anderson like a true "brazilian" player.For whatever reasons,he has never showed the technical level he could reach so therefore I wouldn't say he's like Mascherano

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Anderson = Argentinian

When Anderson plays for Brazil he's got more freedom and the Brazilian in him REALLY comes to show.

In the Olympics it was a joy to behold, even potted a goal.

With time I think he may become more attacking minded, but his future may not be in that mould.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We have never seen Anderson like a true "brazilian" player.For whatever reasons,he has never showed the technical level he could reach so therefore I wouldn't say he's like Mascherano
no, but he's more like Mascherano than he is Kleberson or Gilberto, or any other "defensive" midfielders over the last 10 years for Brazil. Thats my point, he displays more Argie characteristics at the moment

Москва2008

Under investigation...no more points for now
Commentators roll off the cliches whenever Czech Republic's 6ft 7 striker Jan Koller is playing,
'an English-style centre forward' with 'a good touch for a big man'

I'd agree with Kanu (and Okocha)

Ji Sung Park empitimises how I think of South Korean players