Players whose stints at United are totally forgotten....

Ole'sgunnarwin

Danny Simpson
David Healy
Richard De Laet
Danny Drinkwater
James Wilson
Jonathan Greening
Will Keane
Will Zaha

Flanders Devil

I remember when Klopp brought on Steven Caulker as a centre forward. A couple of times actually. Klopp turned out ok.
I've read all the way through this thread trying to remember that name!

Yeah, Spurs tried to sign him but we wanted too much money, so he signed for a foreign club (which allowed him to go on a free I think) and then Spurs immediately signed him from there for about half as much as we were asking.

Worked out well for them, because he did shag all since.
Yeah, it was a bizarre one at the time. I guess it's a good example of trying to be too cute and focusing on the dollars rather than just focusing on improving as a footballer.

Flanders Devil

Danny Simpson
David Healy
Richard De Laet
Danny Drinkwater
James Wilson
Jonathan Greening
Will Keane
Will Zaha
This is a good list, I have a few of similar vein:

Demi Mitchell - Another LB that was fleeting and largely forgettable (like Z Fryers).

Fosu-Mensah / Ryan Shawcross - both player I thought would make it. You could argue Shawcross had quite a good career esp at Stoke.

David Bellion - another that was sure to make it.

Anders Lindegard - one of those many keeper between the VDS & De Gea eras. Was also arguable first choice for a little while before DDG settled in.

Lost bear

Alex Buetner
Richie De Laet
Ronnie Walwork
Danny Higginbotham
Jonathan Spector
Michael Stewart
Giuseppe Rossi
Tomas Kuszczak
Dong
Manucho
Bojan Djordic
Andy Goram
Ricardo
There’s a couple there I have literally no memory of.
Rossi, though, was a really talented goal scorer who did really well in serie A until he was injured. Great shame that.

Marwood

We signed a young lad called Graeme Tomlinson in the mid 90's. Was touted as the next Shearer. Don't think he made an appearance.

Kevin Pilkington was also very highly rated at the time but it didn't happen.

432JuanMata

I always forget that Di Maria played here until I see the odd video of the chip against Leicester.

Ironically that was the game that f’d our season

Stig

Going back a few years...

Viv Anderson
Peter Barnes
Laurie Cunningham (very brief)
Gordon McQueen
Joe Jordan
John Gidman
Ralph Milne
Terry Gibson
Colin Gibson
5 or 6 of those are absolutely not forgettable. Just quite a while ago.

Matty7

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. Think he might of played a league cup game in the early/mid 2000s. Went on to have a decent spell in the Championship.

Oranges038

Was watching premier league years the other day on sky and Cardiff were on, Frazer Campbell scored in whatever game it was.

Also remembered for no reason that I can think of.
Largie Ramazini and Garth Crooks

lysglimt

Scout
Terry Gibson for me - was a huge hit at Coventry after joining them from Spurs. Scored 17 and 15 goals in his 2 first seasons (including a hat-trick against Liverpool) and then grabbed 11 in 24 matches in 85/86 before being signed by Big Ron.

And I agree I was quite young back in 85/86 - but I have no recollection of ever seeing him play for us - I just know he did because I have read that he did :)

Revaulx

Going back a bit further, among the enormous number of signings made by The Doc, most of which turned out absolutely fine, a few fell by the wayside:

Jim McCalliog was brilliant, and a big reason we started playing decent football and winning games a few months before we were relegated. Signed from Wolves but sold to Southampton after only 12 months; apparently due to off field issues. He got his revenge by providing the assist for the winning goal in the ‘76 FA Cup final.

George Graham not only played for United but was made captain following Sir Bobby’s retirement. Was past it and fell out with The Doc after not very long. Our football, which had been dreadful, improved the moment he was out of the side.

Ron Davies was signed from Southampton, where he’d been an absolute legend (over a goal a game), when he was obviously past it. Made a handful of sub appearances but failed to score.

Alan Foggon was signed when we were back in the First Division, presumably as cover for Stuart Pearson who had a tendency to go off injured every time it started to rain. On BFS’ debut at Old Trafford, my neighbour exclaimed “Fecking hell - he’s almost as fat as Alan Foggon”…

Revaulx

Terry Gibson for me - was a huge hit at Coventry after joining them from Spurs. Scored 17 and 15 goals in his 2 first seasons (including a hat-trick against Liverpool) and then grabbed 11 in 24 matches in 85/86 before being signed by Big Ron.

And I agree I was quite young back in 85/86 - but I have no recollection of ever seeing him play for us - I just know he did because I have read that he did :)
There was a good article about him in The Guardian not that long ago. He arrived at United when Fat Ron’s reign was in terminal decline and never really got a fair chance. SAF gave him short shrift, maybe unfairly.

Both he and Davenport were “wrong place, wrong time” players, rather than simply being crap.

Liam O Brien, signed from Shamrock Rovers where he was by far the best played in the League of Ireland. Late signing by Big Ron I think. Played a handful of times in the late Atkinson early Ferguson era. Saw him play midfield against Villa one day when Steve Bruce and Alan McInally had a running war, early 1988-89 season. He was shifted on fairly soon after that, might have gone to Newcastle, not sure.

lysglimt

Scout
There was a good article about him in The Guardian not that long ago. He arrived at United when Fat Ron’s reign was in terminal decline and never really got a fair chance. SAF gave him short shrift, maybe unfairly.

Both he and Davenport were “wrong place, wrong time” players, rather than simply being crap.
I am not saying Gibson or Davenport were crap, but both players careers was practically over once they left United. Gibson never came close to being a prolific goalscorer after leaving United, averaging 5-6 goals a season at Wimbledon - and he was only 25ish when he left United.

Davenport showed the exact same development - he averaged almost 1 goal pr 2 matches at Nottingham - and after leaving United at 27, he scored just over 20 goals in the next 4-5 seasons for Boro and Sunderland.

So it was probably more a case of them being at the right place at the right time at Coventry and Nottingham respectively, rather than them being at the wrong place, wrong time anywhere else. Because they never came close to duplicate their previous success after leaving United either

lysglimt

Scout
Liam O Brien, signed from Shamrock Rovers where he was by far the best played in the League of Ireland. Late signing by Big Ron I think. Played a handful of times in the late Atkinson early Ferguson era. Saw him play midfield against Villa one day when Steve Bruce and Alan McInally had a running war, early 1988-89 season. He was shifted on fairly soon after that, might have gone to Newcastle, not sure.
Yes he left for Newcastle - him I actually remembered for 2 reasons. He scored in a live match on tv - against QPR ? And back then there were like 15-16 matches live during an entire season so you do remember more of those matches that were live. And he has the record for the quickest red card ever received by a United-player - think it was against Southampton. In the 2nd minute as I recall

Irrational.

Oliver Gill: son of former Manchester United chief executive David Gill. Did reasonably well in the reserves, scooping up the Denzel Haroun Reserve Player of the year, was on the bench for a CL tie against Wolfsburg and then fecked off football altogether to go to uni.

68cob

I just googled for an image of Terry Gibson to remind myself of him and, yeah I remember him. I was surprised that the search results also brought up a film that I do not remember :D

Revaulx

I am not saying Gibson or Davenport were crap, but both players careers was practically over once they left United. Gibson never came close to being a prolific goalscorer after leaving United, averaging 5-6 goals a season at Wimbledon - and he was only 25ish when he left United.

Davenport showed the exact same development - he averaged almost 1 goal pr 2 matches at Nottingham - and after leaving United at 27, he scored just over 20 goals in the next 4-5 seasons for Boro and Sunderland.

So it was probably more a case of them being at the right place at the right time at Coventry and Nottingham respectively, rather than them being at the wrong place, wrong time anywhere else. Because they never came close to duplicate their previous success after leaving United either
I dunno; perhaps you're right. Maybe their bad experiences at United destroyed their confidence.

SAF did say in one of his autobiographies that his first mistake at United was getting rid of Davenport. And he did form a good partnership with Choccy, unlike Hughes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't the thread supposed to be about players that should be memorable? Because the thread is turning into a list of anyone that has done nothing or barely played which will include thousands of players.

Revaulx

Isn't the thread supposed to be about players that should be memorable? Because the thread is turning into a list of anyone that has done nothing or barely played which will include thousands of players.
Well George Graham is only remembered because he invariably appears in threads like these...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Victor Valdes is one of those where every time I see a picture of him in a Utd shirt I go "Oh yeah, he played for us."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well George Graham is only remembered because he invariably appears in threads like these...
George Graham is a memorable player/football personality and I assume a typical example of what the OP expected. Now, Floribert Ngalula is a different story.

Revaulx

George Graham is a memorable player/football personality and I assume a typical example of what the OP expected. Now, Floribert Ngalula is a different story.
He certainly is! His Wonkypedia entry is pretty short. Did he have any first team appearences? I don't even remember him being named as a sub.