Players with a reputation for being world class, but never actually had a world class season

MiceOnMeth

Is there many/any of these players from the past and present?
I know world class is a tenuous title for a lot and up for debate.
Our own Paul Scholes is generally labelled as world class these days but did he ever have a stand out season were he was one of the best midfielders in the world?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Giggsy. He is a world class cnut though.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Our own Paul Scholes is generally labelled as world class these days but did he ever have a stand out season were he was one of the best midfielders in the world?
Both times he 'retired' we turned to shit following him not being in our 11. Also the time he had the eye problem and couldn't play we just weren't the same.

I think we suffered from as much as Scholes retiring as we did SAF, Scholes was our metronome and made our wingers great as a result of him pinging balls across the pitch, we could stretch games, now we can't.

Scholes not being world class is absurd IMO.

SirAF

Ageist
Come on, man.

The league win in 02/03 for instance. Scholes scored like 20 goals and bossed things.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ronaldo. His 08 campaign is actually overrated. I remember him mis-placing a pass against Fulham. I was livid.
Glad we sold him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ronaldo. His 08 campaign is actually overrated. I remember him mis-placing a pass against Fulham. I was livid.
Glad we sold him.
2007/08 where he played 49 games, scored 42 goals and got 8 assists, or 2008/09 where he played 53 games, scored 26 goals and got 12 assists?

He was world class in both, granted better in the former.

Also, the question in the OP was players that never had a world class season. Not which world class player had a none world class season.

Chipper

Adulterer.
2007/08 where he played 49 games, scored 42 goals and got 8 assists, or 2008/09 where he played 53 games, scored 26 goals and got 12 assists?

He was world class in both, granted better in the former.

Also, the question in the OP was players that never had a world class season. Not which world class player had a none world class season.
I think you're falling for a wind-up.

On that note, Pele. Had many good seasons but never an amazing one.