Players with the steepest declines

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
He broke one leg a few months after arriving at Liverpool, was played as a right winger by Rafa the following season (where he scored a lot of goals but never seemed to be trusted) and then broke the other leg in a pre-WC friendly.

Both his leg breaks were pretty awful. Incredibly unlucky to have two injuries like this in less than two years.

Good grief :eek:

I assume he's who Samuel L Jackson's latest film character was based on (Mr Glass).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Essien went from a World class midfielder in 2009 to not even top flight standard 2011 onwards.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I agree with Torres. Every man and his dog that watched Liverpool regularly could see that the Torres that Chelsea bought wasn't the same one that they thought they were getting. He was dreadful for the last 18months at Anfield and his performance in our cup exit to you lot in 2011 summed him up. No fight, no desire and crucially, no bearing on the match at all.

MiceOnMeth

How sharp was Ronaldinhos decline in hindsight? He was an absolute megastar in 2005 but after an underwhelming world cup he seemed to lose his world class status overnight or is that an exaggeration?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with Torres. Every man and his dog that watched Liverpool regularly could see that the Torres that Chelsea bought wasn't the same one that they thought they were getting. He was dreadful for the last 18months at Anfield and his performance in our cup exit to you lot in 2011 summed him up. No fight, no desire and crucially, no bearing on the match at all.
I'll never understand Torres. At Liverpool he was maybe one of the best strikers I have ever witnessed in the premier league.
His main attributes were his speed and athleticism, once the injury's took those aspects away he was fecked. I remember watching him play Arsenal for Liverpool just before he came to us and there was that moment he was up against Koscielny, he tried to beat him for speed even had a head start but Koscielny caught up comfortably, prime Torres would have left him for dead and returned for the carcass.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I'll never understand Torres. At Liverpool he was maybe one of the best strikers I have ever witnessed in the premier league.
Injury. Simple as that unfortunately. He damaged his knee and was nowhere near the same player after that. Great player when he first joined and at one time, he was the best striker in the world but he went downhill drastically and will never be compared to the best ever players because it was for such a short amount of time.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
His main attributes were his speed and athleticism, once the injury's took those aspects away he was fecked. I remember watching him play Arsenal for Liverpool just before he came to us and there was that moment he was up against Koscielny, he tried to beat him for speed even had a head start but Koscielny caught up comfortably, prime Torres would have left him for dead and returned for the carcass.
He was a joy to watch and his song was epic as well. You're right about his pace too, he sped past people and left them dead in the water. I still can't get my head around Chelsea scouts deciding he was worth £50m when you bought him

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He was a joy to watch and his song was epic as well. You're right about his pace too, he sped past people and left them dead in the water. I still can't get my head around Chelsea scouts deciding he was worth £50m when you bought him
According to Wilkins he was Carlo's pick and wanted him as early as the summer.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
How sharp was Ronaldinhos decline in hindsight? He was an absolute megastar in 2005 but after an underwhelming world cup he seemed to lose his world class status overnight or is that an exaggeration?
After he won the Ballon d'Or and the UCL, it looked like he came back that summer being 6 years older, he still had his flair and creativity, but the physical edge he had to rule at the highest level was gone, he was always late on a football pitch.

Like seeing Rashford turn into Mata in a couple months, tragic.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Andy Carrol - The next Shearer between his signing for Liverpool and actually playing for them.
Lucas Leiva - Every time he got injured he became better. Before declining when he got back on the pitch.
Le Tallec - Somehow was a better talent than Ronaldo, yet couldn't keep up young Ronaldos level.
Lazar Markovic - Biggest talent ever, also until he played for Liverpool.

I sense a pattern...;)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
After he won the Ballon d'Or and the UCL, it looked like he came back that summer being 6 years older, he still had his flair and creativity, but the physical edge he had to rule at the highest level was gone, he was always late on a football pitch.

Like seeing Rashford turn into Mata in a couple months, tragic.
Don't think i was ever as scared of Chelsea playing anyone as i was Ronaldinho, which is a massive compliment to Ronny seeing he faced our best ever sides.

Was signs of his decline already visable at the back end of 05/06? Iirc he was not particularly great in the semi vs Milan, anonymous against Arsenal in Paris and didn't exactly rip the WC a light either.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
This thread has Andrei Shevchenko and Falcao written all over it. Two of my all-time favourite players for Die Mannschaft - Muller and Neur. No idea what happened to Muller, he was atrocious in the World Cup and if he doesn't pick up form, its like playing with 10 men and Manuel Neur to an extent, for a goal-keeper who has always been the undisputed #1 world's best goalkeeper and always the mainstream shoe-in for FIFA World Player Team of the Year, I doubt he is even in Top 5 Goalkeepers in the world currently. I think he's heading for a Casillas/Buffon decline, but I still hope he returns to his best.

Not sure if this is relevant since I don't know if he even fulfil his potential but Andre Arshavin comes to mind. He's touted as one of Arsenal's and the PL most talented players in his prime and pretty much the Messi of Russia. But he just disappeared. Arsenal has a knack of turning some of the most talented youngsters into nothing.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Every player the second they leave Liverpool.

simplyared

Tomas Brolin in 1994 at the pinnacle of his career. Was chosen for the world team after playing a major part in Sweden's 3rd place in the WC. After suffering a serious ankle injury playing for his country he failed to regain his place in the Parma side. Leeds bought him a year or so later for a ridiculous amount of money. He's now remembered as the worst ever foreign player to have played in the PL. Obviously his injury played a big part in his quick decline, but how the feck did he get through a Leeds medical.?

chomsky89

How can you be considered good enough to be even a squad player in the premier league at 20, and then not good enough for a Norwegian third level side at 24?

The biggest decline I know comes from a PL-player that never was a star in the game, Adam green. Someone nobody here would remember I think. In 2005 he was man-marking Ronaldo twice. 4 years later he went on a trial with a Norwegian third level side and did not impress enough to get a contract.

Kamprad

It has to be Torres even though he played a few years in top teams after the decline. What makes his decline so special is that he didnt have any injuries or any other obvious reasons. He just declined.

Another one is Ibrahim Ba if anyone remember. Starting player in Milan and just missed to take a spot in the world cup winning french team 98. He declined while still being rather young.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Mido
Kerlon
Dani
Royston Drenthe
Maarten Steekelenburg

And the obvious ones like Shevchenko, Torres, Falcao, Sanchez etc.

United58

Adriano for me
I'm sure I've mentioned it already in this thread, he actually went through a lot of mental health issues after his father dies when he was 22. Couple that with the South American party style that starts a lot of their players declining in their mid 20s.

Great player in his prime, a god in PES5, the greatest football game ever made :drool:

tomaldinho1

I'm sure I've mentioned it already in this thread, he actually went through a lot of mental health issues after his father dies when he was 22. Couple that with the South American party style that starts a lot of their players declining in their mid 20s.

Great player in his prime, a god in PES5, the greatest football game ever made :drool:
Any shot from anywhere was a rocket into the top corner with him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

This is what reminded me of him. That left foot :drool:

Riz

It has to be Torres even though he played a few years in top teams after the decline. What makes his decline so special is that he didnt have any injuries or any other obvious reasons. He just declined.

Another one is Ibrahim Ba if anyone remember. Starting player in Milan and just missed to take a spot in the world cup winning french team 98. He declined while still being rather young.
It was entirely due to injury... he fecked his knee and had surgery before the World Cup, was never the same again.

Bobski

Van Persie's was pretty bad from the level he was at.

Cesc Fabregas, I think it's forgotten how damn good he really was at his prime.
Fabregas is the Rooney effect. Started at 16, burned out by 26/27. Very few are freaks like Giggs and Zanetti who are still remarkable athletes into their mid 30's.

Kamprad

It was entirely due to injury... he fecked his knee and had surgery before the World Cup, was never the same again.
Oh really, didn’t know that. Explains the decline I guess. I thought he was one of those players that had an early breakthrough in a top league and then decline early without injuries.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Both Ronaldinho and Falcao had resurgent seasons later in their career.

Lets not forget that game at the San Siro when Ronaldinho scored against us within 15 minutes. I dont care how long he was no longer the old Ronaldinho, I was still scared shitless of him that night. His type of talent you dont just lose. That was a player who had given up trying, but you knew that if he wanted it bad enough, he could turn it back on and tear the arse out of any team. Unfortunately after 2006, it seemed as if he completely lost all desire to be the best which is incredibly sad.

Best player I have ever seen and its not even close.

Schneckerl

Not really a decline for either of them as they never really hit any heights. All hype.
Harsh to name Bojan with Adu. Could be considered a starter for Barca at one point, the best Adu ever did was MLS.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From United, Park and Valencia are good calls. Park was great in 10/11 and awful in 11/12, Valencia had a good 11/12 but the moment he was given that 7 jersey he was a really poor winger.

I'd add Berbatov.

10/11 (United): 21 goals, PL top scorer
11/12 (United): benched but scored 9 in 13 starts
12/13 (Fulham): 15 goals in 32 starts, almost 1 in 2, quite good at a weak club.
13/14 (Fulham and Monaco) 14 in 30 starts combined, only 5 goals till December at Fulham, recovered strongly in France, 9 in 11.

14/15 (Monaco)- 9 in 29, mostly tap-ins. Form falls dramatically, increasingly benched.
15/16 - totally failed in the Greek league. 1 in 9.

Later he had zero impact in the Indian league too.

He had 1 excellent half-season in the French league, then a fairly poor season and he couldn't hack it in Greece. It was quite dramatic, within about a year he was over.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Wasn't Adu briefly with United? I seem to remember he was here on trial for a wee while.
Yeah, it's mentioned on his wikipedia page, but not much details. In the end when Adu finally made the transfer to Europe he ended up at Benfica (not exactly a Tier 1 Youth destination) and they loaned him different clubs which got progressively worse (AS Monaco -> 2nd Turkish League) until they finally got rid of him.