Players you 100% want to leave in the summer

Gordon Godot

I'd be buying in 2x ST, 1x CM, 1x CB, 1x RB. At a push, perhaps a GK. I'm not going to worry about the "who" in this post. I'm just trying to evaluate who we can sell based on what our squad will look like.

GK: I've never been more 50/50 on a keeper staying or going. I do think his incredible drop in form has been partially down to the incredible drop in quality in front of him, he simply doesn't play well with Maguire in particular.
Defence: Maguire goes, Dalot goes. AWB stays. Dalot unlucky but we need a high quality RB and I feel like AWB is the player who has performed better overall this season. Well aware that's a hot topic, and it's a tight call to say who goes but this is who I went with.
Central Midfield: This is tricky because of the age of Casemiro and Eriksen. I just don't think they have the legs. I'd be selling Fred. McT has been really good this season when called upon, but Fred has, a few goals aside, struggled to be consistent. I also get the feeling that ETH simply doesn't care for him at all. McT offers more than Fred, simply put. I don't care how much other clubs are willing to pay, I care about our squad, not theirs.
Attacking Midfield: I group this up as a number of the players can play in more than one of the spots. For me, it'd be Antony, Fernandes, Rashford, Garnacho as guaranteed spots in next year's squad. Sancho and Pellistri would be next. Elanga? Sold.
Strikers: Martial can stay because I want three strikers and it's not realistic to buy three in one window. I also don't want to count Rashford as one of the three strikers, I want him playing wide left when he's on. Rashford should only play ST if Garnacho is wide left. So, two strikers bought. No sales as Weghorst is simply a loan and Ronaldo is already gone.

IN: RB, CB, 2x CM, 2x ST - if we can dare afford more than that, throw in an AMR and another CB. Maybe a GK to replace DDG if we go down that road, too. Oh, and we'll need a 3rd keeper after Butland's loan finishes. I don't count this as a core signing, but worth noting.
OUT: Maguire, Dalot, Fred, Elanga, Henderson, Bailly, Telles, Jones, as well as loanees Butland, Sabitzer, Weghorst. Also anyone else who I might have overlooked that hasn't played for us this season.
Potential sales if we find the funds for even more replacements: Sancho/DDG.

* = potentially replaced, [pos] = new signing
Starting lineup: DDG*, [RB], Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, [CM], Antony, Fernandes, Rashford, [ST].
Backup/Rotation: Heaton, [3rd GK], AWB, Lindelof, [CB], Malacia, [CM], McTominay, Eriksen, Sancho, Garnacho, Pellistri, Martial, [ST]
Emergency Use: Williams + Youth squad, pretty sure Williams is on peanuts anyway, I feel he's a decent extra player to backup the defence, but if we have a solid youth prospect we can play ahead of him then he can go too.

That makes a 26 man squad after 6 signings. Realistically we can go up to 30, so it allows for a bit of emergency backup and/or additional signings. It's also why you don't also see me saying we should sell everyone who isn't the second coming of Cantona, because quite frankly we need to be realistic: We have not purchased more than four players since 2015/16 (Martial, Schneiderlin, Depay, Darmian, Schweinsteiger). Even the six signings I've hoped for in this post would be a big change in recent buying history, but I'm counting on a new owner making a difference (optimistic in multiple ways there).
DDG is a liability. Terrible distribution, weak and scared, cannot command box. Needs to go. His collapse when brushed in the face was embarrassing.

Bestietom

We paid a fortune for 2 wingers that don't make the team better (Sancho and Antony). We could have brought in 2 top forwards instead of these 2.
It's like playing with men less on the field with these 2. Antony (85 million) cant go on the outside of his oponent. Sancho tries to take on too many and loses the ball. They are losing us games.
Pellestri would be better on the right and Garnacho on the left with Rashford up top.

soapythecat

Jones - totally gone TF
DDG - shouldn’t get a new contract. Needs to go regardless.
Martial - useless, doesn’t work hard and can’t score. What the point of him? No one will buy him unfortunately.
Thankfully the loan players will be gone too.
Maguire - not even trusted as back up so needs to go. Will be sold at a huge loss.
Henderson - should never be allowed back in the camp.
Bailly and Telles - not good enough. Sell for whatever we can get for them.

Loony BoB

DDG is a liability. Terrible distribution, weak and scared, cannot command box. Needs to go. His collapse when brushed in the face was embarrassing.
I agree that he should go eventually, I just think there are bigger priorities at the moment, them being strikers. When Varane and Martinez are in front of DDG, he's good enough. Given we tend to only sign four players per season, I could see him staying. I won't be upset if he goes, but like I said, would rather be buying players to replace others on the pitch at present, especially when we have no starting striker (and that will be an expensive purchase) and our starting CMs are only going to be losing speed and stamina at their age. If we kept DDG but signed a reliable goal-getter and a replacement for Eriksen in the starting lineup, I'd be pretty damn happy.

I guess I could drop the signing of a Fred & Dalot replacement in favour of a DDG replacement, if people are happy to only replace Sabitzer of our 5x CMs and stick with Dalot+AWB as RBs. That's viable provided the CM upgrade for Sabitzer is a big one (which it should be, enough to push Eriksen, McT and Fred down the pecking order). If we were to go with three big, core signings in ST, CM and GK along with backup signings of a ST and CB, that'd be a great window no doubt, but in this situation we'd definitely be retaining the collection of Dalot, AWB, Fred, McT, Martial. It really is a weighing up of our options and deciding who we want to replace this coming window - we simply can't replace them all, even with big money investers.

Last edited:

Orange Tree

It's easier to list players that I'd 100% keep.

Martinez

The rest I won't be bothered if sold. Based on results of the past seasons, it's not too far fetched to say that something is wrong with the mentality of this group of players.
Yeah, some are still decent, but I think they are all replaceable.

led_scholes

A good list, well bulleted. Co-signing.
This list. The positive thing is that we can replace them with 4 players essentially .

1 gk
1 defender
1 cm
1 st

Its amazingly sad and good that we should move on so many players and they don't even need to replaced.

croadyman

Oh yeah I cringed when he did that yesterday,no wonder the burly CB's and ST's target him any chance they get

rk4utd

Collectively - and individually - this team continues to depress, exasperate and disgust in equal terms. Singling out individuals amongst a general malaise is difficult but….

DDG - great shot stopper on his day - 15 clean sheets belies his inability to dominate, come for crosses, organise his back four - and that’s before his inability to play the sweeper role, save penalties in crunch scenarios or play out from the back. The role of the keeper has moved on - we need to too.

AWB - super one on one, terrible at passing, going forward and at times looks like he zones out of the game, costing us on more than the odd occasion.

DD - looked good for games before the World Cup - has shrunk in terms of confidence. Even at his best he looks short of being top drawer material.

Malacia - bought as a squad option - looks out of his depth when facing premier league quality attackers - will he be ‘good enough? Highly debatable

Lindelof - too slow on the ball - ok as a back up but just ok. Bullied by the likes of Kane - too slow on the half turn. Always a mistake in him

Maguire - patently not good enough and has been club captain to boot. Says it all about the alternatives.

Martinez - quality.

Varane - like the exotic cars of the 80s - beautiful when fit and on his game but spends more time in the ‘garage’ than on the ‘track’. Signed 5 years too late.

Fernandes - our only real creator but gives the ball away as often as he finds his man. Best of our players on his day but too temperamental and too prone to rash decisions. Also spends far too much time than is healthy moaning, diving and general shithousery. Always fit though.

Sancho- overpriced overrated overdue a good run of performances. Our scouting network produces him whilst city sign Alvarez. Says is all.

Antony - never seen a more one footed player who isn’t actually that good with the favoured foot. Flashes of inspiration in between a wilderness of poor decision making and lack of real quality and output. I’ve trusted ETH with his signing and waited for something to convince me that he is not destined to be yet another flop. Still waiting.

Rashford - after the goals he has scored I still can’t believe I doubt him. But his body language is rapidly returning to this time last year. Still don’t like his constantly over reacting to slight knocks and for all his pace he looks like he doesn’t want to back that up with effort. I was spoilt to have seen Tevez and Rooney I guess, but do I rely on him when the going gets tough? No.

Casimero - form and fitness have fallen off a cliff. Looks one paced after looking so good.Knackered? He shouldn’t be. Past his prime? On recent performances I would say RM have done us again…

Eriksen - I’m still waiting for the player that used to do the finishing off of moves like I saw at Spurs. Is he only going to get worse in terms of fitness and mobility.? Decent back-up - but premier league challenger/winner? No.

I was going to summarise on the others - but apart from the young ones like Garnacho and Shaw, who apart from the brain fart at Brighton, has been quality I’m not wasting words on Martial, Weghorst,Fred, McTominay, - we all know that if we could we would be rid of them already.

TenHag? I have my fingers crossed that he will find a solution to our age old problems but with the personnel at his disposal and the glazers still hamstringing the club from board level I hate to say it that the solution may well remain out of his reach. Let’s hope we can limp to fourth place and not get humiliated in the final and regroup going into next season.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Martial looked and played yesterday like some random fat feck in a rec league. The man has been stealing a living from the club. Thank feck the Woodward disaster years are in the past but still have a handful of leeches bleeding the club. ETH and staff have a major overhaul needed that may never occur or will take another decade to fully unfeck by time the club has gone through a few more managers.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wanted De Gea to be kept as a backup but at this stage I think he should leave entirely.

Maguire should leave, I would keep the others although I do not see much good in Malacia and AWB. Telles also should leave.

I do not rate Fred much, and Dony is always injured. Both should leave, probably keep McTominay for cover but wouldn’t care if he leaves too. Do not sign Sabitzer. Give time to some of the youngsters like Hannibal.

Weghorst must leave. Playing with 10 is better than him playing. Martial should also leave too. I would keep the others although I do not rate Samcho at all, and think that Antony is the most predictable winger in the league. Wouldn’t mind seeing them being backups to Garnacho and Diallo next season.

Getting a striker, a midfielder and a GK is very important. If we have money only for two, use Henderson next season and then replace him the season after. Getting a second midfielder and a CB would be nice too.

redmanx

The list of players I’d want to keep would be a lot quicker. There’s very few players in this squad I’d be sad to see leave. Martinez, Shaw, Varane, Bruno, Eriksen, Garnacho & Rashford are probably the only ones. The rest I wouldn’t lose any sleep over.

The ones I actively want to see the back of would be De Gea, Maguire, Sancho, Martial, Antony, Weghorst. Then you’ve got the likes of Jones, Williams, Henderson, Bailly, Telles, Van der Beek who all basically don’t even resister in my mind as United players anymore. Then there’s the squad filler like Lindelof, Fred, McTominay etc All of whom I’d happily sell for the right price.

Basically the squad is full of absolute dross.
I agree; Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Bruno, Erikson, Casemiro, Rashford, are the only players of real quality we have although I like Garnacho and Wan Bisakka and Dalot are good when playing with Shaw, Varane and Martinez. These players can form the nucleus of next seasons team but the rest are simply not good enough, relable enough and consistent enough and should go. We desperately a striker who knows where the goal is, at least 1 central midfielder, good back up for the defence and a new keeper.

Wilt

How do Utd unload players who are still under contract and on shitloads more money than they would ever get from another club?

Let’s face it, they’ll be staying.

jeff_goldblum

It's time up for a few. Martial has had enough chances and De Gea hasn't represented value for money for almost half a decade now and doesn't suit us at all. Maguire needs a move for his own sake as he's capable of being a good player for a mid-table club but is way down the pecking order here. Bailly, Jones, Telles etc. won't be missed, neither will Weghorst. Greenwood obviously I'd like gone.

Sancho can have another 6-12 months but if he doesn't click then it's best all round if he goes. Antony I think has been better than most admit and is mostly a magnet for dissatisfaction due to his price tag. He should be nowhere near the top of anyone's list to go.

BorisManUtd

Henderson, Williams, Bailly, Maguire, Telles, McTominay, van de Beek, Elanga, Weghorst.

Not sure about Sancho and Martial. De Gea to staty but only on reduced wages and as 2nd choice.

Keep: De Gea, Heaton, AWB, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw, Malacia, Casemiro, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Antony, Rashford, Garnacho.

*Or Sabitzer, but more likely to be Fred.

Sign GK, CM, ST + possibly CB, DM and another ST (if Martial is to leave).

Oscar Bonavena

How do Utd unload players who are still under contract and on shitloads more money than they would ever get from another club?

I've asked that question too. No other club will be rich enough, stupid enough or desperate enough to pay these guys the same as what we do.

We'll literally need to give some of these cnuts away as an incentive for other clubs to take them off our hands. And even then I doubt that would be incentive enough.

croadyman

Yeah only ruthless owners can do it

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Loan him out. Get his form up. Sell him high, but will have to subsidise his wages for the next club, probably by 50%. Tough decision, but better than keeping deadweight for another 5,+ years doing next to nothing. And it frees up a good spot to buy new players to do his job better.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Potential sale (doesnt mean offer would come) - De gea, Henderson, Malacia & williams (bring back our spanish lb), Dalot ( becomes 2nd3rd rb & 2nd3rd lb if he wants to stay) , maguire, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof ( gets to stay if he wants ), Mctominay, Van de beek, Elanga, Pellestri (dont think ten hag rates him).
January sales - antony & sancho if no improvement.
Keep until contract is off & no new - martial but de gea can as no 2 on reducd wages

purchase, GK, CB, RB, CM, ST.

Last edited:

United Hobbit

WEGHORST
MAGUIRE

Martial
Elanga
Jones
Telles
Bailly

DDG relegated to back up/ number 2

Oscar Bonavena

Squad players should be reliable and consistent, he’s the exact opposite.
Yeah, I think I agree. I want to like Fred. But I don't think I've ever seen a more erratic player at the club, we literally have no idea what we're going to get from him when he steps on the pitch. It's a real roll of the dice.

We've had effective squad players at the club before, who weren't superstars but who were happy to come in and "do a job" in the less glamorous games and we'd be confident they'd give a good 7 or 8 out of 10 performance (I'm thinking Phil Neville, O'Shea, Fletcher, Ji Sung Park etc). We don't get that from Fred.

Oscar Bonavena

Henderson, Williams, Bailly, Maguire, Telles, McTominay, van de Beek, Elanga, Weghorst.

Not sure about Sancho and Martial. De Gea to staty but only on reduced wages and as 2nd choice.

Keep: De Gea, Heaton, AWB, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Shaw, Malacia, Casemiro, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Antony, Rashford, Garnacho.

*Or Sabitzer, but more likely to be Fred.

Sign GK, CM, ST + possibly CB, DM and another ST (if Martial is to leave).
I'm very sure about Sancho and Martial. They need to be two of the first to be shown the door. Either loan them out, give them away for free, whatever it takes to get them away from the club.

The two of them are a symbol of what's plagued this club since Fergie retired. "Talented" expensive flops who don't have, and will never have, the heart or balls to play for this club.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
  • De Gea
  • Henderson
  • Williams
  • Maguire
  • Jones
  • Bailly
  • Telles
  • McTominay
  • Van de Beek
  • Elanga
Avoided the outfield loan players currently at the club as they're probably not joining full time.
Replacing the above with better players/better squad options would do us a world of good.

- Got 2 keepers in there. Sell Henderon, don't renew DDG
- Got 5 defenders, 4 of which will never realistically play again for us or aren't good enough (Williams, Jones, Bailly, and Telles) and Harry Maguire (who is very good for a low block team but not for us unfortunately).
- Got 2 midfielders, 1 who has been almost invisible since arriving and another, who is a decent squad option, but ultimately not good enough and for whom we'll be having offers for (if reports are to be believed)
- Got 1 attacking player who isn't good enough (Elanga)

Getting rid of the above 10 players and replacing them with 4-5 isn't very far fetched. I know TEN players sounds rough, unrealistic, and FM-ish, but do most of these players even play enough for us for their absence to have an impact?(other than DDG who is our starting keeper right now)

- Get rid of the two keepers and get one promising 1st choice keeper in that plays the way ETH wants. Keep Butland/Reserve keeper as number 2.
- Get rid of the 5 defenders and get a reliable CB (Kim?) and a utility defender who can play across the back 4 (or cover most defensive positions, a la John O'Shea).
- Get rid of the 2 midfielders and get a 1st choice ball playing CM who can progress the ball when receiving it from the defense. This provides cover for Eriksen as well and improves our team at the same time
- Get rid of Elanga and give the minutes (if he was even getting any) to Pellistri/Amad (if he comes back from loan)

I'd also be in favor of swapping Sancho for a pure out and out left/right winger who can actually do the winger role (beat his man 1 vs 1 consistently and be an attacking threat).

All of this of course keeping in mind that we need a 1st choice striker still with Martial as backup option.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah, I think I agree. I want to like Fred. But I don't think I've ever seen a more erratic player at the club, we literally have no idea what we're going to get from him when he steps on the pitch. It's a real roll of the dice.

We've had effective squad players at the club before, who weren't superstars but who were happy to come in and "do a job" in the less glamorous games and we'd be confident they'd give a good 7 or 8 out of 10 performance (I'm thinking Phil Neville, O'Shea, Fletcher, Ji Sung Park etc). We don't get that from Fred.
Even McTominay is a more reliable squad option. At least you know what you’re getting every game.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
Maguire - Liability .
Wan Bissaka - not technical enough . - sell
Fred - Liability . - sell
Mctominay - Southampton level player . - sell
Martial - 3 seasons - 9 PL goals, stop giving him chances. - sell
Elanga - clearly not United level player. - sell
Van De Beek - what he even do ? - sell
De Gea - good few seasons , make him good farewell and part ways, not good enough now. - sell
Jones - why is he still not released WHAT ? - sell
Telles - sell
Williams - sell
Bailly - sell
Weghorst - he even don't deserve to play in Bulgaria first League, what to say about the Premier League and Manchester United more than liability, passion merchant or something like this . - RELEASE/ DON'T RENEW !
Laird - sell
Sancho - sell and buy Leao or Kvicha
Tuanzebe - sell
Henderson - sell

BUY

Frimpong - RB
Timber - CB
De Jong and Barella - 2 CM
Kvicha or Leao - Winger
Kane - ST
Diogo Costa - GK

I really hope we act once like a big club and do the right thing.

Like Rangnick said - "It's clear it's not enough to do some little, minor amendments, some little issues here and there, some minor cosmetic things. This is an operation at the open heart that doesn't need to take two or three years to chance those things."

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whatever happens, ETH needs to be absolutely ruthless and spare no player from scrutiny, including those who have been at the club for a long time.

AshRK

Martial for sure. The guy is a pretender and will convince everyone after his 30 minute good pre-season performance that he is the next Henry. Should just bin him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Aside from the players already shipped on loan or the likes of Jones.

DDG, Maguire, Martial, Weghorst and Sancho

I understand Sancho isn't realistic given his wages and Martial we may struggle to find suitors

Todd

Maguire - Liability .
Wan Bissaka - not technical enough . - sell
Fred - Liability . - sell
Mctominay - Southampton level player . - sell
Martial - 3 seasons - 9 PL goals, stop giving him chances. - sell
Elanga - clearly not United level player. - sell
Van De Beek - what he even do ? - sell
De Gea - good few seasons , make him good farewell and part ways, not good enough now. - sell
Jones - why is he still not released WHAT ? - sell
Telles - sell
Williams - sell
Bailly - sell
Weghorst - he even don't deserve to play in Bulgaria first League, what to say about the Premier League and Manchester United more than liability, passion merchant or something like this . - RELEASE/ DON'T RENEW !
Laird - sell
Sancho - sell and buy Leao or Kvicha
Tuanzebe - sell
Henderson - sell

BUY

Frimpong - RB
Timber - CB
De Jong and Barella - 2 CM
Kvicha or Leao - Winger
Kane - ST
Diogo Costa - GK

I really hope we act once like a big club and do the right thing.

Like Rangnick said - "It's clear it's not enough to do some little, minor amendments, some little issues here and there, some minor cosmetic things. This is an operation at the open heart that doesn't need to take two or three years to chance those things."
You're talking about like 450 million pounds worth of players. Might as well add Mbappe to the list at this point.

RedDevilDavid

I dont know about Sancho..

I am still believing in him but every time i am watching him play i am disappointed

NICanRed

The Caf is a strange place - maybe like society in general! Every member of our squad (including the manager) has "lovers" and "haters". Some will feel a certain player is the answer to all our problems and another writer will see the same player as the devil incarnate who should never don the shirt agan.
Some players - and maybe Licha is a good example - will get lots of support while others - perhaps Harry - seem low down on the appreciation list. The interesting ones are those that seem to divide opinion closer to 50:50 - maybe Fred or Lindelof.
I wonder how we would fare if team selection for each match or the transfer policy was produced by a poll of Caf members!