g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Players you had forgotten existed

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Did anyone actually watch Possebon in the reserves? He wasn’t very good, mediocre at best at that level.
Very limited access to reserve games so no, I think most just assume any youngster getting near the first team must be doing something right.

Wasn't the Pogatetz tackle that finished him off though.

Santana

Nobby Solano and Laurent Robert from those early 2000's Newcastle United team were always a handful on their day. Robert in particular had a wonderful left foot if I remember correctly

Gazza

Nobby Solano and Laurent Robert from those early 2000's Newcastle United team were always a handful on their day. Robert in particular had a wonderful left foot if I remember correctly
Newcastle midfield back then was tasty

Robert Speed Jenas Solano

A still good Keiron Dyer too

Classical Mechanic

Very limited access to reserve games so no, I think most just assume any youngster getting near the first team must be doing something right.

Wasn't the Pogatetz tackle that finished him off though.
I don't think it finished him. If he lost confidence from that then he wasn't ever going to cut it in such a competitive environment.

His potential wasn't high in the first place from what I saw of him playing in the reserves. His career has been especially bad since though. I would put that down to a lack of motivation on his part if he cursed with injury problems or something.

As for him getting near the first team, a number of such substandard players did under Fergie.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don't think it finished him. If he lost confidence from that then he wasn't ever going to cut it in such a competitive environment.

His potential wasn't high in the first place from what I saw of him playing in the reserves. His career has been especially bad since though. I would put that down to a lack of motivation on his part if he cursed with injury problems or something.

As for him getting near the first team, a number of such substandard players did under Fergie.
Many still will. I suppose it's very difficult to tell who'll be able to make the jump until you give them a go, so you assume it's the best of the reserves getting the shot.

I remember seeing Possebon play what I can only assume was a cup game, and I think we were chasing a goal, either level or behind, and after doing not very much much up until this moment, the ball bobbled back out to him just outside the box quite late in the game. He didn't shoot, he didn't spread the play out wide, and he didn't try and find someone in a pocket of space in the box. All he did was chip it up vaguely in the direction of the penalty spot and hope for the best. Remember the crowd going a bit nuts over that.

IAmAWinner

Chygrynski - the Ukrainian lad who played for Barca.
Malouda
Sulley Muntari
Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
Kenwyne Jones

Precaution

The quite good Moroccan duo of Youssef Chippo and Mustapha Hadji, Ex Coventry and cheap as chips to buy on CM, as with many that end up forgotten seemingly end up at Aston Villa at some point.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Marc-Antoine Fortuné - scored against Salford for Chesterfield today in the conference at the ripe old age of 37.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The quite good Moroccan duo of Youssef Chippo and Mustapha Hadji, Ex Coventry and cheap as chips to buy on CM, as with many that end up forgotten seemingly end up at Aston Villa at some point.
Not sure where Chippo ended up but we signed Hadji and Hassan Kachoul (would imagine he's been mentioned in this thread) in summer 2001. Was happy as both had proved decent players at mid table prem clubs but after o.k starts neither were even getting on our bench a year later and we had to pay off their contracts which has been a recurring theme down the years.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Whatever happened to Leandro Damiao? I remember Spurs were linked to him for years but never signing him. Did he ever play in europe? Think he might've been briefly at Betis but could be confusing him with someone else.

Renegade

Patrick Berger, Christian ziege. Both would pop up with a left foot 35 yarder rocket every now and then. I vaguely remember both having injury problems.

Champagne Football

Davy Klaassen, Ron Vlaar, Jordie Clasie, Martins Indi

All these guys were caf muppet wet-dreams when Van Gaal took over. Lots on here saying they'd read an article on some website saying they were the next big thing from Holland so that was enough to make them a priority signing

kthanksbye

Darius Vassell - had the worst celebration ever.
Emmanuel Frimpong - What happened to him?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
James McCarthy. Loved him during the Martinez era. Forgot he still played for us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Davy Klaassen, Ron Vlaar, Jordie Clasie, Martins Indi

All these guys were caf muppet wet-dreams when Van Gaal took over. Lots on here saying they'd read an article on some website saying they were the next big thing from Holland so that was enough to make them a priority signing
Ron Vlaar got a career ending injury and is retired after his contract ended 2/3 seasons ago. Was a solid center back, though.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Patrick Berger, Christian ziege. Both would pop up with a left foot 35 yarder rocket every now and then. I vaguely remember both having injury problems.
Ziege had a very good career, mate. His stint at Liverpool was not that good, but he was rock solid everywhere.

On the other hand, Berger had a promising start of career and wnt downhill after that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ziege had a very good career, mate. His stint at Liverpool was not that good, but he was rock solid everywhere.
Aye. Hit a high peak in the mid-90s and a probably under-rated one. Comfortably the best full-back / wing-back of Euro '96 and perhaps a bit unfortunate to play for Bayern and Milan when both were in transition.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He has played twice in 2018 according to his wiki page
Really? I thought he had retired. His injury was very serious and I searched at Transfrmarkt that he's at AZ Alkmaar :D

Yes, he's been a starter for them this year. A three years battle against knee problems. He's got fighting spirit, that's for sure. I think 99% of the players in his condition would had retired.

HandofZeus

Supports
Liverpool
Was having a gander at last nights champions league qualifiers & saw Alexander Hleb amongst the scoring!

37 years old now & back playing for BATE Borisov in the Belarusian league!

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Aly Cissokho
BEst business ever made by any club in the world. Bought for 300K and sold for 12M€ to Lyon a few months later. Bare in mind that 12M€ was quite a big transfer at the time. Nowadays is peanuts for any Championship club.