Players you have never seen play well

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Most people here watch mostly the PL and Lewa and Neymar never having played there might be part of the explanation. And some Ôzil's best performances came with a Madrid shirt
While I agree, the thread does not ask for „world class performances“ or „rarely played well“. It is „never seen playing well“ which is absolute. Even Özil at Arsenal had a lot of games where he was at least “playing well“.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Joe Gomez. Everyone says he's mint so he obviously is, but I've only ever seen him play terribly.

rollingstoned1

Totti
Zlatan for the first 10 years of his career
Dele Ali
so much this.

i see dybala also belonging to overrated ss/am from serie a who will flop in england whenever i see him. for all the reputation around his finishing i have seen him bottling penalties.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
I don't watch a lot of football unless United are playing but when I do watch anything of Spurs playing I am never impressed at all with Harry Kane .

I know his record is fantastic and he must be a great forward but I have never seen any proof of it

Clermontois

Supports
France
Cavani, always scores goals but is mostly useless anytime I see him play.
It is very true only thing I saw about him that was commendable that for a striker he often tracked back. Maybe this is why he is struggling to find a club who will pay him just half of his PSG salary.

Another player to add though is Lewandowski when he plays for Poland and not everyone is trying to get the ball to him. He is nothing special except being a fine poacher.

Rossa

Weirdly, but mostly because I haven’t watched them all that much, Neymar and Mbappe. Anyone besting that?

I know from listening to others that I have just been unlucky, or whatever uou want to call it, when watching them, but I have never seen them be anything more than average and at times wasteful. Then again, I don’t make time to watch them play all that often, so my views are obviously skewed.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Raheem Sterling. Whether for City or for England. Always so wasteful in front of goal and a lot of failed dribbling attempts when I watch him.

KeanoMagicHat

The way this thread is going:

Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Zidane
Xavi
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Henry

For United:

Roy Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I have never watched a game with Neymar and gone "wow blimey, he looks unplayable". His highlights, sure but not a game where he has utterly destroyed a team.

Lacazette, again never seen him do anything special.

Kepa (too easy really).

Saul Niguez, since his goal against Bayern at least. Never watched a game and seen anything special*

*(Full disclosure, I am not a football scout)

Chief123

The complete opposite to this thread.

Haaland - a player I’ve never seen play badly!

MemphisThePie

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Emile Heskey. How is just 7 goals in 62 caps possible with the players he were surrounded by?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ibrahimovic in his prime whenever I watched his team in the Champions League. I never watched Serie A because Sky here didn't show the Italian league at the time, but whenever Ibra's team were in the Champions League round of sixteen and I watched him, he would just disappear for huge stretches of a game. I know there were a couple of exceptions and a handful of select bangers (against Arsenal with Barca?) but I left the vast majority of Ibra games with bewilderment at how ineffectual he was.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ibrahimovic in his prime whenever I watched his team in the Champions League. I never watched Serie A because Sky didn't show the Italian league, but whenever Ibra's team were in the Champions League round of sixteen and I watched him he would just disappear for huge stretches of a game. I know there were a couple of exceptions and a handful of select bangers (against Arsenal with Barca?) but I left the vast majority of Ibra games with bewilderment at how ineffectual he was.
Agreed. There are very few if any Ibrahimovic CL masterclasses that I can remember.

He's a domestic league animal but really underwhelming in the CL.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Ibrahimovic in his prime whenever I watched his team in the Champions League. I never watched Serie A because Sky here didn't show the Italian league at the time, but whenever Ibra's team were in the Champions League round of sixteen and I watched him, he would just disappear for huge stretches of a game. I know there were a couple of exceptions and a handful of select bangers (against Arsenal with Barca?) but I left the vast majority of Ibra games with bewilderment at how ineffectual he was.
That's always been my main criticism of his. Brilliant in Serie A and Ligue 1. Played great for Sweden. Always underwhelmed in the CL

MrEleson

I thought he was really overrated back then because whenever I watched him play (always in the CL) he did nothing, yet was universally lauded as one of the best strikers around.

Paul_Scholes18

That's always been my main criticism of his. Brilliant in Serie A and Ligue 1. Played great for Sweden. Always underwhelmed in the CL
I think he could have done better for Sweden too in the later tournaments. Some games you expected him to step up and lead the way, but he didn't.
His best tournament was 2004 and 2008 when he was still young.

Stadjer

Griezzman.

Never watched many Aletico games so i missed his good games there. He hasnt been good for Barcelona and for the few France games i watched (during EC/WC) he looks usually very average. He scored during the world cup but i didnt think he played that well.

Certainly expect more from a player who is called ‘worldclass’ by some.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
While I agree, the thread does not ask for „world class performances“ or „rarely played well“. It is „never seen playing well“ which is absolute. Even Özil at Arsenal had a lot of games where he was at least “playing well“.
This thread is about players you don't rate (highly).

Devil_3565

Someone should make a thread about absolutely average or nothing players putting in a world-class performance. I already know my answer
Kieran Richardson -Against Charlton at home 05/06.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
It is not. Read the title of the thread.
Sorry, I mean looking by the players mentioned here it's not about players people never seen playing well as the title of the thread, but players the posters don't rate, hence Özil, Neymar, Ibra, etc.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think he could have done better for Sweden too in the later tournaments. Some games you expected him to step up and lead the way, but he didn't.
His best tournament was 2004 and 2008 when he was still young.
Think he did well in 2012 too - named in the team of the tournament and scored that beauty against France. He's the 4th all-time top scorer in the Euros, which is quite impressive given the relatively limited quality of his teammates in comparison to the others in that list.

Only time I got that feeling of waiting for him to step up was in Euro 2016 when Sweden and Ireland were huffing and puffing their way to a draw that suited neither side. But to be fair he was 35 by then and past his best.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
so much this.

i see dybala also belonging to overrated ss/am from serie a who will flop in england whenever i see him. for all the reputation around his finishing i have seen him bottling penalties.

Dude, please just admit you never ever watch any Single serie A game..

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
The way this thread is going:

Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Zidane
Xavi
Iniesta
Ronaldinho
Henry

For United:

Roy Keane
Scholes
Giggs
Rooney

Pretty much this..

Either people have serious issues of
- Confirmation bias when wachting class player they dont like and are not aware of/willing to admit this
- Recency bias towards players and are not aware of/willing to admit this

Or.. (my major suspect)

- Many people just dont watch football outside United apart from some clickbait video's and highlights...

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Patrick Kluivert, Alesandero Del Piero.

rollingstoned1

Dude, please just admit you never ever watch any Single serie A game..
i watched as many non united serie a games in recent seasons as epl games. people creamed themselves over dybala here but 1 look at him and i knew he would be a flop here if we signed him. i've seen the likes of salah, naingollan, koulibaly, mertens all tear it up and wanting to see them here. some players just strike you that way. i felt similarly about griezmann that he would flop if he came here.

totti and de rossi always talked a big game before playing united but we know what happened when both teams took to the field, i guess that's where this thing where i've never seen them play well comes from. :p