Playstation 3

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Never attempted to redeem codes for add-on content before but having trouble getting it to be accepted by PSN - I keep getting an error that the code is either incorrect or expired. Any troubleshooting tips?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Just bought a decent bundle of games on eBay.

GTA v
Gta iv
Last of us
MW3
GT6
£72

Should keep me ticking over whilst better titles are released on the ps4 after March.

Timdbro

I think my ps3's blu ray drive/laser gave up the ghost this week. I've checked some guides and it seems fairly straightforward to replace the drive yourself, but as I'm not gifted for these types of operations I was wondering if anyone has attempted to do this and has any advice? Anyone?

arthurka

I think my ps3's blu ray drive/laser gave up the ghost this week. I've checked some guides and it seems fairly straightforward to replace the drive yourself, but as I'm not gifted for these types of operations I was wondering if anyone has attempted to do this and has any advice? Anyone?
What version do you have??
It´s normally just a straight swap, couple of screws and unplugging the drive.. Plug the new one in and screw it back together..,

If you need a tutorial here are some.. It´s pretty straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing+a+blu+ray+drive+on+ps3&sm=3

Timdbro

What version do you have??
It´s normally just a straight swap, couple of screws and unplugging the drive.. Plug the new one in and screw it back together..,

If you need a tutorial here are some.. It´s pretty straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing a blu ray drive on ps3&sm=3
It's the original fat 60GB ps3. It's a bit odd as (if I understand correctly) it only has one lens that reads all media, and yet my ps3 still reads dvds/cds fine. But I can't think what else it would be other than a faulty laser. Have you replaced this on yours?
Cheers for the reply btw!

arthurka

It's the original fat 60GB ps3. It's a bit odd as (if I understand correctly) it only has one lens that reads all media, and yet my ps3 still reads dvds/cds fine. But I can't think what else it would be other than a faulty laser. Have you replaced this on yours?
Cheers for the reply btw!
Yes I did.. Just remove the rubber under the console, remove the screws and open the device..
Take the cover off and remove the screws that hold the drive in place. Follow the cable from it and unplug the clip and remove the drive. Remember to take the control board for the drive off.
Look at the specs on the drive and buy one online, I found one for less than 50$ in the states! When it arrives plug it in and put everything back togther.
Should work fantastic..

The mandatory video..

If you just want to replace the laser here is a video for that:

Just go ahead and give it a go, it´s easier than you think.

Timdbro

Yes I did.. Just remove the rubber under the console, remove the screws and open the device..
Take the cover off and remove the screws that hold the drive in place. Follow the cable from it and unplug the clip and remove the drive. Remember to take the control board for the drive off.
Look at the specs on the drive and buy one online, I found one for less than 50$ in the states! When it arrives plug it in and put everything back togther.
Should work fantastic..

The mandatory video..

If you just want to replace the laser here is a video for that:

Just go ahead and give it a go, it´s easier than you think.
Cheers, I'll give it a go!

Timdbro

Have some fun...
It´s fantastic to fix something like that yourself..
It is fun! I've ordered the replacement drive, but I decided to open it up to have a look in the meantime. There was some dust and so on but nothing like what some people have described; also I was a bit weary of forcing the top so much to take it off, but it did need a bit of stick (even after popping the little clips at the back with a screwdriver). Anyway, it's good to know it's simple enough to open up for when that part does arrive.

arthurka

It is fun! I've ordered the replacement drive, but I decided to open it up to have a look in the meantime. There was some dust and so on but nothing like what some people have described; also I was a bit weary of forcing the top so much to take it off, but it did need a bit of stick (even after popping the little clips at the back with a screwdriver). Anyway, it's good to know it's simple enough to open up for when that part does arrive.
The only advice I could give you is just use the time that you need..Not to try to finish it as fast as you can. Give yourself time to look and be careful.. If you do that it will be ok..

Timdbro

The only advice I could give you is just use the time that you need..Not to try to finish it as fast as you can. Give yourself time to look and be careful.. If you do that it will be ok..
Replacement drive arrived, put it all back together and it worked first time. So looks like I'm back up and running, awesome stuff! Only have to hope that this drive (or laser I suppose) will last as long as the last one! Cheers for the advice/moral support!

arthurka

Replacement drive arrived, put it all back together and it worked first time. So looks like I'm back up and running, awesome stuff! Only have to hope that this drive (or laser I suppose) will last as long as the last one! Cheers for the advice/moral support!
Cheers mate, glad I could help..
No reason it shouldnt work as long as the old drive did.. Now go reap the rewards of you work.. Again glad i could help..

Timdbro

Cheers mate, glad I could help..
No reason it shouldnt work as long as the old drive did.. Now go reap the rewards of you work.. Again glad i could help..
Yeahhh the best bit. I've been waiting to play gta v for bloody ages!

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just started playing Uncharted 3 (in 3D) and fcuk me what an intro to a game... the first 2 levels, look and feel so good, and I love the humour. I heard U2 is the best so I'll go and play that after this but I can tell this game is going to be great. I have TLOU too, but that can wait...

Bebe

Just started playing Uncharted 3 (in 3D) and fcuk me what an intro to a game... the first 2 levels, look and feel so good, and I love the humour. I heard U2 is the best so I'll go and play that after this but I can tell this game is going to be great. I have TLOU too, but that can wait...
All great games, you're in for a good time.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Nice Afro, you've got some great games to keep you occupied.

Timdbro

I haven't played it in 3D, but I've heard it actually adds quite a bit to the game.
The game itself I thought was the most fun game I'd played in a while; only criticism was that there wasn't enough of it!

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
My sister is going to be getting a PS3 soon (end of next week i think she said). She wants to play the new Tomb Raider game and was going to buy it herself but i'd seen it is on PS+ at the moment. If i 'buy' it now using Sony's online store for free, since i have PS+, can my sister then just sign in as me on her PS3, download it and then play it on her own non PS+ account?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Weird thing has happened to me. I haven't used my PS3 for a good while and when I tried turning it on today neither of pads would turn on. I thought batteries were dead and tried to plug either of them to the console with no effect again. It's not possible that two pads would die at the same time, I tried resetting them with the button on the back with no luck. I am not even sure buying a new pad would solve this. What should I do?

Sarni

Connect them to your computer. If the lights flash then they still work and it's a problem with the PS3.
They don't. Perhaps the cable I am using is broken (I lost the original), I will buy a replacement tomorrow. Can I use any USB cable?

Sarni

Yeah any one with a mini USB connection, they see to come with everything these days.
The ones in PS3 have different ends that standard ones sold with smartphones etc. though.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
The ones in PS3 have different ends that standard ones sold with smartphones etc. though.
Oh I didn't know about that, not much of a smartphone person. Got a digital camera? I think most of them use the same as the PS3 connection, my last three have anyway.

Sarni

Oh I didn't know about that, not much of a smartphone person. Got a digital camera? I think most of them use the same as the PS3 connection, my last three have anyway.
I have it, will check it in the morning because I have not used its cable in a while (I transfer photos via SD). If it doesn't work then I guess I need new pad?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I have it, will check it in the morning because I have not used its cable in a while (I transfer photos via SD). If it doesn't work then I guess I need new pad?
Might do, seems strange that both would stop working at the same time though.

Don't you have a PS4? The Dualshock 4 works on the PS3 doesn't it? Plus I imagine it uses the same kind of cable which you could use at least.

Sarni

Might do, seems strange that both would stop working at the same time though.

Don't you have a PS4? The Dualshock 4 works on the PS3 doesn't it? Plus I imagine it uses the same kind of cable which you could use at least.
I have PS4. It uses different cable (the same that smarphones have), I didn't realise I could use DS4 with it - even if my DS3s work I could get rid of them! Thanks for help mate.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout