Playstation 3

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Thanks for the reply Sarni.

Okay, that's a plus, ability to play PS3 exclusive games.

I can currently "obtain" about 3 GB worth of data in 24 hours (got Dark Souls that way) so yeah I see your point. I don't mind buying hard copy disks and not being able to download games but I want to be able to play online without lag and such, is there any way to find out?
Well, probably buying the console is the only way you're going to find out. They are quite cheap these days and seeing as you probably won't be downloading full games the 12 GB one could be enough for you and it's not going to cost you much more than €150 brand new.

BTW do you mean that your reach 100 kb/s download speed or that you have a 100 kbps network (that'd reach around 15 kb/s download speeds), because it's a huge difference?

GTA V which is a console exclusive for at least a year most likely is enough of a reason to invest in one!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Well, probably buying the console is the only way you're going to find out. They are quite cheap these days and seeing as you probably won't be downloading full games the 12 GB one could be enough for you and it's not going to cost you much more than €150 brand new.

BTW do you mean that your reach 100 kb/s download speed or that you have a 100 kbps network (that'd reach around 15 kb/s download speeds), because it's a huge difference?

GTA V which is a console exclusive for at least a year most likely is enough of a reason to invest in one!

Huge difference indeed:lol: I have a connection that can reach (and stay stable) at 100 kb/s download speed. The upload is meant to be the same, although I've never really tested it.

Sarni

Huge difference indeed:lol: I have a connection that can reach (and stay stable) at 100 kb/s download speed. The upload is meant to be the same, although I've never really tested it.
It should be fine then, I had the same connection in my hometown and had absolutely no trouble playing FIFA or GTA online. I had a connection that reached 150 kb/s at very best in my current apartment before switching to the monster 30 mbps bandwidth last June and it played perfectly fine as well.

You don't need more than 30-50 for upload anyway so whatever you can reach is probably more than enough anyway.

You can go out and buy a PS3 with a dozen games to go with it now, don't worry, you'll be delighted with it. Don't hold me accountable for this though, I'm just passing on my experience! :)

Slevs

likes to play with penises
It should be fine then, I had the same connection in my hometown and had absolutely no trouble playing FIFA or GTA online. I had a connection that reached 150 kb/s at very best in my current apartment before switching to the monster 30 mbps bandwidth last June and it played perfectly fine as well.

You don't need more than 30-50 for upload anyway so whatever you can reach is probably more than enough anyway.

You can go out and buy a PS3 with a dozen games to go with it now, don't worry, you'll be delighted with it. Don't hold me accountable for this though, I'm just passing on my experience! :)

My cousin has a PS3, I'm thinking about telling him to bring it over one day so we can try it on my internet connection, it's the best way to find out I guess.

One more thing, you said the 12 GB one. That's not going to have a lot of space to store games in it if Uncharted alone is 38 GB, I'm guessing that's just a minimum cost PS3 with no real storage ability?

Sarni

My cousin has a PS3, I'm thinking about telling him to bring it over one day so we can try it on my internet connection, it's the best way to find out I guess.

One more thing, you said the 12 GB one. That's not going to have a lot of space to store games in it if Uncharted alone is 38 GB, I'm guessing that's just a minimum cost PS3 with no real storage ability?
It'll be enough as long as you don't download games from the PS Store and delete data as soon as you've completed them (because you don't need to store it anyway to be honest). With retail copies you only need to install certain data on the hard drive, the only ones that are pushing the limit that I know of are Gran Turismo 5 and GTA V which both take up to 9 GB of required installation data. For example retail physical copy of Uncharted 3 won't take more than 3 GB I think.

Obviously 500 GB one is a better option but you won't be using 90% of it if you're not downloading games.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Are people gonna get the PS4 straight away or will there still be life left in this old dog? I think the last games I'll buy on this console are FIFA, Batman and Strider and then move on...

Cina

Can't see me getting much after GTAV, especially as Watchdogs is PC too, but my PC will do me for quite a while before investing in a new console.

Sarni

Are people gonna get the PS4 straight away or will there still be life left in this old dog? I think the last games I'll buy on this console are FIFA, Batman and Strider and then move on...
There'll be some games left and I've barely finished half of the ones that interest me anyway, the leap in graphics won't be so great that you won't feel like coming back to PS3 anyway. I was considering getting Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed IV for PS3 but seeing as they are released for PS4 around a week later I'll probably buy it for the new gen.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just found an old ps3 phat in the house, tried turning on and got the red flashing light and 3 beeps. Looked, no HDD, found hdd formatted an put in, same thing. Found that fix online with a heat gun and thermal paste, going to give it a whirl this week, doesn't cost anything to try.

If it works, ill be getting gta v :drool:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Mine stopped working. It's a slim.

I turned it on today and it instantly turns off (less than a second) and sits there on standby node, whether I turn it on with eject, the power button or the PS button on the controller. The light goes from red (standby) to green to off very fast, and a second later returns to standby. I checked all the wires and with another power cord.

This happened once or twice these past two weeks but in those times it turned on properly at the second attempt.

Anyone has any idea if this is the PSU? I'd rather try and replace it myself with that were the case, it looks easy enough on youtube videos but I'm not sure if this is the problem.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
My guess is that it is either the PSU or it cannot get the fan to spin. Check that the fan is working first.
Thank you, but how should I test the fan? I saw some trick about holding eject button while connecting the power, but that didn't work, just the same failure as before. And if the PSU is not working how could the fan work?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
I don't know about the slim, but it should be the same. Apply some voltage to the correct leads and see if it spins.
I was dismantling my PS3 today following a youtube video when my internet went down. Then I noticed I couldn't turn on the TV. Both these and the playstation were connected to the same power socket. I changed it all to another socket and voilá...

A bit weird that the TV and the modem kept working for longer than the PS3... I hope I didn't screwed my PS3 by opening it unnecessarily.

Sarni

Far Cry 3 and Dragon's Dogma full edition for free for PS Plus members in a week as well as Touch My Katamari and Street Fighter X Tekken for Vita. Another great month of service.

Sarni

I have had them on my shelf for a while too but haven't completed any of them, I will sell physical copies and get around £25 for both which basically pays for more than half a year of Plus, and I'll keep digital. Works fine for me.

Sarni

Apparently pretty good, it's free so download it anyway.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
In the last three weeks two of my controllers stopped working. First the original one from the slim console. Then I took another controller from my broke fat PS3, this one worked about two weeks and then just died. Checked cables, USB ports, all good, did resets on the controllers- nothing. Do they just die of old age?!

Sarni

I'm curious about one thing - with PS Plus and lots of PS Store sales I've basically largely switched to digital copies lately but I'm not sure how long they are going to keep their files on servers. For example, will I still be able to download the games I buy digital today in 10-15 years when I want my son or daughter to try them out, or will it all be gone? Does anyone have any idea what Sony's plans are in regards to digital distribution?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm curious about one thing - with PS Plus and lots of PS Store sales I've basically largely switched to digital copies lately but I'm not sure how long they are going to keep their files on servers. For example, will I still be able to download the games I buy digital today in 10-15 years when I want my son or daughter to try them out, or will it all be gone? Does anyone have any idea what Sony's plans are in regards to digital distribution?
From what I've seen they will allow you to download them to two different playstation consoles.

walsh

Far Cry 3 and Dragon's Dogma full edition for free for PS Plus members in a week as well as Touch My Katamari and Street Fighter X Tekken for Vita. Another great month of service.
Yeah, another quality lineup. I've already played through FC3 on PC but I'll definitely give DD a go as well as the two Vita games. I was considering getting a fighting game on my Vita recently when they went on sale but now the choice has been made for me, for free.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shame my rental library didn't think ni no kuni was popular enough to get. Seems I've missed out one of the best ps3 exclusives.

Woodzy

I think it's time to sell my PS3 before what little value left has gone completely. What I do need however is a little advice on pricing.

Its a very old fat 60gb so not much value there. There's quite a lot of games, some worthless, but a few good ones which will hopefully bump the price up. List as follows:

GTA5
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Gran Turismo 5 (and prologue)
Devil May Cry 4
Resistance 1
Final Fantasy XIII
Littebigplanet
Batman: Arkham Asylum
+ Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ghost Recon 2, Unreal Tournement 3 and Rachet and Clank: Tools of Destruction

What do you guys reckon I should price it at? I'll also have a very similar question for the 360 but obviously it's the wrong thread.

Woodzy

No idea, I don-t sell on my hardware I keep it.
I usually do the same to be honest. It's just got to the point where I need to start getting rid of things that I don't intend on using ever again or i'll have no room for anything.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I usually do the same to be honest. It's just got to the point where I need to start getting rid of things that I don't intend on using ever again or i'll have no room for anything.
Don't worry too much about the value dropping. I've seen PS2's with 20 games still going for over £100 so that selection will still hold it's value long after the PS4 comes out, remembering the PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

Woodzy

Turns out it's the 40GB PS3 I have. That makes sense now because wasn't the 60GB only around for a short while?

Anyway, back on to selling the console. As most of my games are worthless, i'm thinking of just selling the console and GTAV, while it's hot. Do you guys think this makes more sense? I'll then just trade in the games for some points at Game to put towards a PS4 game, for example.

I'd probably make an extra £40/£50 by selling the games individually, but it just seems like a lot of effort to get rid of them all that way.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Just started Uncharted 3 the other day, not as good as the first 2 imo, at the bit where when I'm shooting people their heads are setting on fire then they're running and blowing up :lol: Also, was the camera this awful in the first 2? Plus Drake seems to move quite weird, when he runs he sort of does a crab walk half the time, infuriating.

Also got Wipeout HD & Fury again, they're still fun, even though some levels seems close to impossible.

Got Arkham Asylum, and Infamous 2 sitting there to complete aswell, cba investing in new games due to PS4 coming out next month.

Sarni

I'm a bit curious and Weaste or someone should be able to help me with that.

I've had PS+ since February so have managed to build up a nice collection of games in my downloadable content library. I sold my old PS3 to a mate and never logged off so he's free to use my PSN account and download anything I've already bought or got for free from PS+, he does that occassionally. Now another mate of mine wants to buy a console and I've convinced him to go down the PS3 route even though he was set to go for 360. I'd like to share my content with him too but I've heard you're only allowed to use it on two consoles - PSN account can be active on more as far as I know though. Does that mean that one game can only be downloaded to two separate systems at one time or are only two consoles out of my pool allowed to download anything and the rest can't do a thing?

If it's the former then I'm all set as the mate who bought my old one only has a 40GB drive so he won't have more than 2-3 games on it at once and my other mate will be free to download everything. He'll be getting his own PS+ since December but will obviously miss out of anything between February and December that I already have so I don't mind sharing the content.

WeasteDevil

I'd have to check, but originally it was 5. Can't remember if they cut it back to 3 or 2 for games. If you go to the SEN website and look at your account details, as far as I remember the limit is 2 machines that have access to Video out of 4 registered devices in total (I'm taking up 3 of the 4 spots with 2 PS3s and a VITA, 4th is blank ready for the PS4). They are obviously going to have to change these numbers, especially the 4 total with the PS4 and the VITA TV being released.

I'll have a look.

Sarni

I'd have to check, but originally it was 5. Can't remember if they cut it back to 3 or 2 for games. If you go to the SEN website and look at your account details, as far as I remember the limit is 2 machines that have access to Video out of 4 registered devices in total (I'm taking up 3 of the 4 spots with 2 PS3s and a VITA, 4th is blank ready for the PS4). They are obviously going to have to change these numbers, especially the 4 total with the PS4 and the VITA TV being released.

I'll have a look.
Thanks, get back to me when you have some information.

WeasteDevil

Right, there is a message there saying I've reached the video limit of PS3s (1), meaning only 1 PS3 can use your username for video access. Vita is also set for video, so it's 1 PS3 and at least 1 VITA. Music is set for all of them as are games and there is no similar message.

WeasteDevil

You can see here....

Reading up, it seems that since November 2011 only two of each machine type can be linked to and activated on your account for games. So 2 PS3s, 2 VITAs, 2 PS4s, 2 PSPs, and I suppose 2 VITA TVs, etc.

WeasteDevil

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/796

Maximum Number of Systems

There is a maximum number of systems that can be activated with one account which differs depending on the content.
For purchased/downloaded content before November 17, 2011 the number of systems for activation is:
  • For Game Content - Five (5) PS3 and/or portable systems
  • For Video Content - One (1) PS3 and up to Three (3) portable systems
As of November 18, 2011, number of systems for activation is:
  • For Game Content - Two (2) PS3 and/or portable systems
  • For Video Content - One (1) PS3 and up to Three (3) portable systems
If you exceed this amount, you will need to deactivate a system before the new one can be used to download content. You must also have the system with you in order to activate or deactivate it.