Gaming PlayStation 4 (Console)

D J Dog Toffee

Sorry to hijack the thread but just got a PS4 along with FIFA 15, The Last of Us: Remastered, Destiny and Watch Dogs.

Now, I had considered swapping FIFA for PES but I'm happy enough with this FIFA version. I'll also obviously keep The Last of Us, having not played it before (I didn't own a PS3).

However, I'm considering exchanging the other two for some other games due to mixed reviews. I'm looking at games like Battlefield 4, Shadow of Mordor, Diablo 3, Assassin's Creed 5, Oddworld and Infamous: Second Son. Any suggestions for getting the best four-game starter pack here? Or should I just keep Destiny and/or Watch Dogs?

Genres aren't too important but a good SP campaign is. Thanks.
I have AC Black Flag and Watch_Dogs and even though they are practically the same game, just re-skinned, Black Flag is so much more fun! The main character is so much more interesting (Aiden Pearce from Watch_Dogs has such a dull monotone delivery of every line, it's a bona fide cure for insomnia) and Edward Kenway's a Welsh pirate, what more could you want?

Even though you end up repeating the same handful of side missions in each game doing it as drunk pirate is much more entertaining as opposed to a soulless mumbling bloke whose soul character trait seems to be that he wears a hat. Given the option between the two, I would definitely opt for Assassin's Creed.

Watch_Dogs is OK, it's functional, you can shoot stuff, or drive cars (that handle as if they were constructed from concrete), or use your wonder-phone to do everything from nick a car to intercept text messages to blackout half a city but playing through it often feels a drag. I don't even think I'm halfway done with the story missions yet and I keep choosing other games to play in it's stead, even games I have already finished and are going through for a second time. That's my two cents worth on the matter anyway.

And as people have stated above, you are in for a treat having not played The Last of Us before. I never got around to getting it on PS3, and waited for the Remastered version. It's pretty special (in the game-play, characterisation, design and narrative) and is pure eye-candy in places.

Last edited:

Kaos

Watch Dogs is shit - trade that, easy. I'd say for Shadow of Mordor since its a solid SP.

I'd personally keep Destiny. Its a bit of a marmite game that's dividing a lot of opinions, but it seems to be around for the long run. Could be a very different game in a year or two, and that's assuming you don't like it now which you may very well do.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Watch Dogs is all right for one playthrough.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Say what you will about Destiny but god knows how many hours I've put into that game, same goes for over half of my friends-list... It's probably my most played game on PS4 so far, including I:SS/BF4/WD/DIII/and various other shite...

I think the vocal dissenters are drowning out the many millions that are just getting on with the game and enjoying themselves... once you've got to max level, unless you like the PvP there's not much more for you unless you like replaying content, but for now I'm happy with it...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'd advise playing through watchdogs tbh, just fly through it then trade it. Its going to have a sequel more than likely which will be better, so may aswell get used to how it works.

Sarni

I'd advise playing through watchdogs tbh, just fly through it then trade it. Its going to have a sequel more than likely which will be better, so may aswell get used to how it works.
It's a decent game too. The main reason why people feel underwhelmed by it is that Ubisoft promised far more, then delayed the game by 6 months and in the end didn't deliver anything that wasn't there before. Without the huge expectations that were not met what you have there is a good game.

fergosaurus

Regarding PS Plus, are the games usually as shit as this month? I only see three to choose from and none of them look worthwhile downloading. Are they usually updated at the start of each month or what way does it work?

Leg-End

They announce the PS+ games end of each month and then usually they come in the first week of the next month.

If you log onto the webstore via computer you can redeem the PS3 and Vita games, worth doing even if you don't own those consoles because you never know right? Selections for PS4 have been a bit poor the last couple of months but Driveclub PS+ edition was meant to be in there this month and some of the indies have been great. Full retail games will be more likely next year as the catalogue builds up, I guess they may do something special for November or December given its a year since release and/or they have that Playstation event in Las Vegas early December.

fergosaurus

Cheers, hopefully there's something decent before the end of the year. I thought Batman was a free option for PS4 but it looks like it's only the PS3 version.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
I was really excited about Watch Dogs, but after playing it for a few hours I'm not at all impressed. It gets old pretty fast.

PlayerOne

I was really excited about Watch Dogs, but after playing it for a few hours I'm not at all impressed. It gets old pretty fast.
I played it for about 4 hours and I couldn't do it anymore, I sold it. Couldn't stand the driving, it's so bad. Nothing else was any good either.

Kaos

The driving was atrocious, the protagonist is the worst I've seen in recent memory, the story was pretty crap. The only fun thing was to go around judging people for their exploits in their personal life and torturing them.

Its basically a shit urban Far Cry 3.

JackXX

I quite enjoyed Watch Dogs I think it gets too much criticism. Sure it didn't live up to the hype but it's still decent enough. The only things I didn't like were the main character and the story wasn't amazing. I thought the shooting mechanics for example were really good. Driving takes some getting used to but when you do it's ok. I think there's a solid platform for WD2 to improve on anyway.

penalty snot

Please. Nobody, for the love of feck spend any money on Evil Within.

It is possibly the worst, clunky, outdated, inconsistent, predictable piece of shit game I've ever played.

I'm furious that I wasted money on that turd.

Kaos

Please. Nobody, for the love of feck spend any money on Evil Within.

It is possibly the worst, clunky, outdated, inconsistent, predictable piece of shit game I've ever played.

I'm furious that I wasted money on that turd.
Preach, horrible abomination of an game. Bemuses me how its getting decent reviews.

Sarni

Thanks for the tip, for a minute I considered getting it ahead of Alien and Middle Earth, now I'm going to get one of them today (possibly Middle Earth although I'm so tempted by Alien).

PlayerOne

Thanks for the tip, for a minute I considered getting it ahead of Alien and Middle Earth, now I'm going to get one of them today (possibly Middle Earth although I'm so tempted by Alien).
I don't think you'll enjoy Alien unless you're a fan of the movie.

penalty snot

If i had the choice i would have gone for mordor. Everyone raves about it.

Just stay away from Evil Within.

I've been so frustrated I've considered doing a "fachts" check list of all the shit.

I'm never that angry. That's when you know you've lost it.

Sarni

I don't think you'll enjoy Alien unless you're a fan of the movie.
I've not even seen the movie yet. It appeals to me though, looks like the sort of game I'd enjoy. Mordor is exactly the sort of game I like though which is why I'll probably buy it first, plenty of games coming out in November so I don't want to spend all my budget yet. Alien will probably be half the price in two months.

PlayerOne

I've not even seen the movie yet. It appeals to me though, looks like the sort of game I'd enjoy. Mordor is exactly the sort of game I like though which is why I'll probably buy it first, plenty of games coming out in November so I don't want to spend all my budget yet. Alien will probably be half the price in two months.
I'm getting Mordor too, just not yet and you're right about Alien, I'm sure the price will drop quickly. I'm gonna end up missing out on a few games this year, way too many to buy and play.

Kaos

SoM is the more solid purchase IMO. Alien is pretty good but I'd rent it or wait for the inevitable price drop.

Sarni

GTA5, Assassins Creed, Dragon's Age and Far Cry, possibly Pro Evo too, are the games I'd like to buy in November, I might be able to do it financially but there's no way I'll have enough time to devote to all of them. I'll probably have to buy two story line games and possibly PES, and that's it. Occupying myself with a full price Alien right now is probably not the best idea I could come up with, especially as I'll probably be only barely done with Mordor by the time GTA and AC come out (think I'll get AC first since I've already completed GTA and AC is bound to be on the short side too). Then between DA and FC which come out on the same day I think.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
@Shane88

60fps completely changes the game, on top of the other enhancements of course. Tis beautiful.

Anyway, peeps, check this out;

Absolute game changer right here. :eek:

D J Dog Toffee

Regarding PS Plus, are the games usually as shit as this month? I only see three to choose from and none of them look worthwhile downloading. Are they usually updated at the start of each month or what way does it work?
You should try Dust - An Elysian Tail, it's great fun. It has a really nice hand-drawn aesthetic and the combat is smooth and fun. You also have a Metroidvania type exploration, so that old inaccessible areas open up when new powers are obtained, I'm having a blast with it.

fergosaurus

You should try Dust - An Elysian Tail, it's great fun. It has a really nice hand-drawn aesthetic and the combat is smooth and fun. You also have a Metroidvania type exploration, so that old inaccessible areas open up when new powers are obtained, I'm having a blast with it.
I'll give it a go then, cheers.

PlayerOne

That update is going to be amazing! I believe it's up to the developers to decide if their game uses the sharing features but I hope most do. Can't wait for it.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I feel like going out and buying a new game, haven't bought one since I got it when it came out. What do you all think the most fun game is and why?

PlayerOne

I feel like going out and buying a new game, haven't bought one since I got it when it came out. What do you all think the most fun game is and why?
It really depends on what you're into, me and a few lads on here are hooked on Destiny right now but IMO that game isn't for everyone, it requires a lot of time if you want to get the best weapons/armour.

Shadow of Mordor seems like a good game, I'm getting that soon. There's also FIFA if that's what you're into.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It really depends on what you're into, me and a few lads on here are hooked on Destiny right now but IMO that game isn't for everyone, it requires a lot of time if you want to get the best weapons/armour.

Shadow of Mordor seems like a good game, I'm getting that soon. There's also FIFA if that's what you're into.
Oh yeah I told a lie there as I bought Fifa. I feel like playing something I can commit a lot of time too in single player, something that looks nice and has that addictiveness to it.

fergosaurus

Oh yeah I told a lie there as I bought Fifa. I feel like playing something I can commit a lot of time too in single player, something that looks nice and has that addictiveness to it.
People here have recommended The Last of Us. They say the storeyline and graphics are amazing. I picked it up on ebay used for £25 but haven't got it yet.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
People here have recommended The Last of Us. They say the storeyline and graphics are amazing. I picked it up on ebay used for £25 but haven't got it yet.
I have it on Ps3 but when I played it I encountered a glitch that couldn't be resolved without starting again and I just wasn't finding it fun enough to do so. I wouldn't mind buying it on PS4 to play as I bet it'd look fantastic I'd just have to take a gamble on how fun it could turn out.

PlayerOne

Easily top 5 best games I have ever played, it's just awesome.

Well, Destiny sounds about right for you. The story mode is a bit crap, it's the strikes and raid that are most fun. Like I said though, you will start way behind us all, you need to put in a lot of hours and you need a lot of luck with that game.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I don't get the love for the last of us, not played much of it tbh but it feels clunky and slow, why do you have to wall half the time ffs. Controls seem strange too.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I don't get the love for the last of us, not played much of it tbh but it feels clunky and slow, why do you have to wall half the time ffs. Controls seem strange too.
Maybe you're just shit at it! :D

One of my favourite games of all time. Completed it on Grounded mode, headphones on, what a fricking experience.