Gaming PlayStation 5

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
We doing a sweepstake for the price? I’m saying £449.99 and £359.99 for digital version. Release date 12th November US and probably a week later for U.K.

Last edited:

Tiber

I am PlayStation fanboy to my core. But I still can't get over how ugly the design is

AaronRedDevil

Has to be 500 for the normal and 450 for digital. Not a penny more. 600 will turn a lot of fans off the price. I would buy the digital if it meant the games would be 10 quid cheaper since theres no distribution.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Has to be 500 for the normal and 450 for digital. Not a penny more. 600 will turn a lot of fans off the price. I would buy the digital if it meant the games would be 10 quid cheaper since theres no distribution.
Games won’t be any cheaper digital (I find more often than not they’re around £10 more expensive than retail).

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Over 500 is pointless, XBox will undercut and there's not much between them so they'll be onto a winner

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
529 for digital 579 for full.

Better have UHD player the thundercunts.

Bosws87

Anyone actually going to buy the digital version with Sony in charge of the pricing of all the games, your brave!

afrocentricity

Anyone actually going to buy the digital version with Sony in charge of the pricing of all the games, your brave!
Umm, they have good sales. I prefer physical for some arbitrary reason but I've bought shit loads of digital games because of these damn sales. Was also tempted for half a second by the symmetrical aesthetic.... but nah....

hubbuh

It looks like plastic piss. Why the feck is it white an’ all. PlayStation should be black!

Bosws87

Umm, they have good sales. I prefer physical for some arbitrary reason but I've bought shit loads of digital games because of these damn sales. Was also tempted for half a second by the symmetrical aesthetic.... but nah....
sales for old game great £60 a piece for a new game with no resale value might even try and push the price up next gen who knows.

Zero competition is a terrible thing always.

afrocentricity

sales for old game great £60 a piece for a new game with no resale value might even try and push the price up next gen who knows.

Zero competition is a terrible thing always.
I don't think I've paid £60 for a game since N64, it still hurts to this day...

Bosws87

I don't think I've paid £60 for a game since N64, it still hurts to this day...
Majority of games sit at £55 at release on the psn store with a quick bit of searching you can probs get that on a disk for 40ish pounds, then if you have competition like pc digital games cd keys etc might even push down to 30ish pounds.

Balljy

Yeah, that's my worry and I think they may incentivise the digital version because of the control it gives them over profits and knowing the second hand market is smaller. I can see the digital version being a bit cheaper than expected and the disk version more expensive. I'm going to guess £449 and £549. UHD players aren't that cheap standalone either so they can justify £100 as being less than a player would cost.

They do decent sales on digital but there's a healthy competitor in physical disks at the moment. Remove that and they can keep prices higher for longer.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
My PS4 Pro and before that my PS4 had been stood up for 7 years, don't recall it falling down...

Agreed... Unfortunately :(
Check this guy humble bragging about not knocking stuff over.
It looks like plastic piss. Why the feck is it white an’ all. PlayStation should be black!
I wonder if it's purely just because it looks eye catching. Every news article with it has this insane looking block so you know right away that it's the PS5. If it was completely black you probably wouldn't give it a second glance when scrolling through the Beeb website or Reddit and so forth.

I like the design because it's one of those occasions where the engineers have thought "thermals are our priority this time, but feck it we're bored of making the same cubes over and over so let's take some meth and see what we can come up with!". But I'd want a black one or at least a vinyl wrap for it since I don't like how cheap the white looks.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Saw something about Amazon accidentally leaking the prices, twas 449 euros for the digital one and 499 euros for the regular one.

b82REZ

I saw something on reddit yesterday that suggested an Amazon leak had one of the models listed at $479 in America.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I reckon it's going to be

£399 digital; £449 disk drive.

If they both have the same SSD size I'll get the disk drive one. If not, I'll get whichever has the largest storage.

Hal9000

@Redlambs would be the one to know, if anyone, but as it hasn't got a thread on ResetEra (and they make threads for the most mundane thing), I doubt it.
They did, on Wednesday.

Benefits will be:
  • Smaller game size
  • Reduced memory size usage
  • Reduced memory bandwidth usage