Gaming PlayStation 5

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Not for us that don't have a life.
If you have no life then there's, by default, no life choice. :)

Gaming is my main hobby other than football, so I'm buying this thing even if it's 600 quid, though I suspect 400-450 is more likely. I've got friends who drop more than that a year on fishing gear or golfing.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jaysus, so much chatter about the design of the box. It's fine, little weird looking but the rest of my house isn't an architectural and design marvel either. I'm sure it'll look fairly good when I buy it. Which I'm pretty sure I will given Sony has been delivering now every generation. I'm not bothered about design or even backward compatibility. The PS5 games library is what matters really. Although I do plan to buy it only once the second year kicks in and there are enough games.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The design has a grown on me, I think it’ll look a lot better than in the pictures aswell. The Xbox design is just hideous, just a big block.

As an aside, Sony had a terrible start with their PS3 launch and Microsoft with their silly DRM issues ensured the Xbox One received a lot of bad press and a huge backlash from gamers. Seems like this generation neither has made any significant errors so far?
If anything, PlayStation's event appears to be hugely successful given the amount showcased. Memes about design will not really matter.

Xbox appear to have done nothing but show the console. And they're the ones that have miles of catching up to do.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Will I be able to play with friends online who have PS4's? So take Fifa or Warzone for example, if I own them on PS5 can I still play with mates who only have them on PS4?

I am very tempted to get it at launch primarily because my PS4 is nearly 8 years old and is in desperate need of an upgrade. I just really need some additional confirmation from Sony about backwards compatibility and my digital library.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Will I be able to play with friends online who have PS4's? So take Fifa or Warzone for example, if I own them on PS5 can I still play with mates who only have them on PS4?

I am very tempted to get it at launch primarily because my PS4 is nearly 8 years old and is in desperate need of an upgrade. I just really need some additional confirmation from Sony about backwards compatibility and my digital library.
Think this will be developer choice. E.g. Bungie have confirmed that destiny 2 will be cross play Intra console (ps5 with ps4) and (XBone with XSX)

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I'm not a big fan of the design but it is better than the Xbox which has like no design. It seems you need a stand to have it horizontal though...that seems like a really poor decision.

If I kept my console in one place it would be fine but I move it a lot between two places so having to use the stand all the time is going to be annoying

Wal2Fra

I don't see this being as cheap as the 400/450 that some are mentioning. As another poster has mentioned, when you think about the price of a new phone or even a connected watch (apple watch etc...) I would be suprised if this was under 600.

But, given the current situation and what has been happening the past few months, the thought of people splashing 600 seems strange this year.

Will be a big call from Sony (and Microsoft too in the same position) when it comes to pricing the console for launch. Do they lowball for sales or have a higher price and watch sales come in a bit slower?

As far as the games shown so far, i'm most excited for Gran Turismo. Had an xbox past few years and never really got into Forza. To much like street racing (atleast the versions I played were) wheras I want the old Gran Turismo style game of real circuit racing with the licenses, the stupid 24hr races and everything in between. Also hoping for a large collection of cars to choose from.

Aside from that, Fifa will be out around October and CoD feel like they release a new game every month, so that will be 2 popular games that will be in the pipeline and available for or very shortly after launch.

Bojan11

To the people that were annoyed Sony didn’t announce every single exclusive out for next 10 years.

From Jim Ryan

We wanted triple-A games that would fully demonstrate the horsepower of the machine. But some of these smaller games are making very cool and innovative use of the new features of the console. So we allowed the show to give a sense of the sheer range of gameplay experience that will be available on PlayStation 5. And this is just the start. There are so many more games that we have in development.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53017909

Raven

I always have been and always will be a playstation man but I actually like the design, not sure what the uproar is over?

As far as the release titles being underwhelming, as long as it has FIFA and whatever BR game I'm playing, it's a day 1 purchase for me.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...sed-to-price-when-it-comes-to-pricing-the-ps5

Like someone said earlier if the console was £400 or £450 they would have announced it regardless of what Microsoft do.
I assume they’d try to get the digital only version just under some ‘magic number’ of pain threshold. No clue if that’s possible and disc drives are dirt cheap anyway, just a thought.

Also, the design is almost a ‘V‘. I think they missed a trick not going further with it and making it the PSV.

Bojan11

It’s been nearly seven years since the PlayStation 4 was released, and modern games such as The Last of Us Part II and God of War push it so hard that the poor thing sounds as if it’s about to take off. (Incidentally, Rutter assures me that “a great deal of effort” has gone into making sure the PS5 will be less noisy.)
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jun/12/playstation-5-video-games-console-not-dead-ps5

There is also going to be another event in August according to Jeff Grubb, who seems be have good sources.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There’s a proper full Gran Turismo 7?

Oh for feck sake I’m gonna buy a PS5 aren’t I.
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jun/16/exclusive-games-playstation-5-sony

“Gran Turismo 7 is going to benefit from almost every single technological enhancement that we have in PlayStation 5,” says Rutter. “The loading times will be next to nothing compared to what they have been in the past. Sitting in the cockpit, the 3D audio allows you to hear the thunderous roar of a Ferrari behind you or in front of you, and you can recognise the difference between that and the engine noise of a Maserati. Driving the car using the DualSense controller, you’ll have a different feeling in your hands from the smooth undulating tarmac of a racetrack, compared to the gritty sensation on a gravel track. Pressing a soft accelerator will feel very different than pressing on a stiff brake pedal or gear paddle.”

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Comparison of skill level between PC and console is pretty much futile these days, as you can use KB/M on console and many PC gamers use a controller. An argument can be made for frame rates giving a slight advantage, but that really only implies that console gamers have to be more skilled to keep up in a cross-play environment....but that's a different subject.
MnKers seem to think that because it’s easier to aim quickly it means they’re more skilful, which makes no sense

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
MnKers seem to think that because it’s easier to aim quickly it means they’re more skilful, which makes no sense
The only valid argument there is whether auto aim is used or not, and how extreme it is. If it's a matter of straight up practice and skill, then I'd say both take a lot of work to be great at them in very different areas. People who claim otherwise are probably not very good at either ;)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dunno lambs, I used to play on mouse and keyboard. The muscle memory aspect of it is a lot easier compared to controller. I've wanted Sony games to use gyro aim for years just to get it a bit closer to M&K.

Redlambs

I dunno lambs, I used to play on mouse and keyboard. The muscle memory aspect of it is a lot easier compared to controller. I've wanted Sony games to use gyro aim for years just to get it a bit closer to M&K.
The muscle memory aspect? No, not at all. If you look at the comp scenes and their thoughts, MKB clearly has a higher ceiling and the amount of customisation and controls always make that part harder.

In general though there's no way a controller is harder to muscle memory than a keyboard, think about finger placements for a start. Controllers are specifically built for gaming, they are designed around the principle of certain fingers reaching buttons and the games making use of that just pushes that further.

PC has a higher skill ceiling, that much is not in doubt. But to get to the respective ceilings, I'd put the pros and cons of both on a very similar level. It's easier to game on a controller in general, but it needs a crutch. On PC it's easier to aim, but it's harder to master because you are up against a higher calibre from the off.

afrocentricity

The muscle memory aspect? No, not at all. If you look at the comp scenes and their thoughts, MKB clearly has a higher ceiling and the amount of customisation and controls always make that part harder.

In general though there's no way a controller is harder to muscle memory than a keyboard, think about finger placements for a start. Controllers are specifically built for gaming, they are designed around the principle of certain fingers reaching buttons and the games making use of that just pushes that further.

PC has a higher skill ceiling, that much is not in doubt. But to get to the respective ceilings, I'd put the pros and cons of both on a very similar level. It's easier to game on a controller in general, but it needs a crutch. On PC it's easier to aim, but it's harder to master because you are up against a higher calibre from the off.
I'm talking about the mouse and analogue stick comparison lambs. The rest can't compare as there's 10x the amount of keys. Sorry should have been clearer...

Redlambs

I'm talking about the mouse and analogue stick comparison lambs. The rest can't compare as there's 10x the amount of keys. Sorry should have been clearer...
Well yeah, the stick is on a loser there. The right one anyway, not the left ;)

That's why the comparison is and always will be off. I'm a hardcore MF, I used to (and still to this day!) play Goldeneye and PD with aim assist off out of principle :lol: But it's never going to stack up to a mouse, of course not. That's where the ceiling comes in, because a mediocre mouse player will always beat a good stick player, which is why it seems easier. But lets face facts, aim assist is a thing and that narrows the gap on consoles significantly. However on PC there's no such crutch, so the work you have to put in to match up becomes way higher. If that makes sense.

But I'd never play a souls game on MKB, that's just stupid. Basically, long story short, the right tool for the right job :lol:

afrocentricity

Well yeah, the stick is on a loser there. The right one anyway, not the left ;)

That's why the comparison is and always will be off. I'm a hardcore MF, I used to (and still to this day!) play Goldeneye and PD with aim assist off out of principle :lol: But it's never going to stack up to a mouse, of course not. That's where the ceiling comes in, because a mediocre mouse player will always beat a good stick player, which is why it seems easier. But lets face facts, aim assist is a thing and that narrows the gap on consoles significantly. However on PC there's no such crutch, so the work you have to put in to match up becomes way higher. If that makes sense.

But I'd never play a souls game on MKB, that's just stupid. Basically, long story short, the right tool for the right job :lol:
Do you reckon we'll finally get gyro aim?

Redlambs

Do you reckon we'll finally get gyro aim?
I assume you mean as standard? I don't know. The problem with shooters these days as now we simply HAVE to have a competitive driving force, and those guys aren't so keen. I don't really know why, as to me it's way more intuitive than a stick or a mouse.

Have you ever used it on the switch? On Splatoon 2 it's pretty cool, though I personally think it's only better for the Y axis. Obviously on VR it's the nuts.

afrocentricity

I assume you mean as standard? I don't know. The problem with shooters these days as now we simply HAVE to have a competitive driving force, and those guys aren't so keen. I don't really know why, as to me it's way more intuitive than a stick or a mouse.

Have you ever used it on the switch? On Splatoon 2 it's pretty cool, though I personally think it's only better for the Y axis. Obviously on VR it's the nuts.
I got used to it on the good old Vita I hear it's the same on the Switch. And yes once you get used to it you hate having to go back to something that feels so cumbersome at times.

Bosws87

I put a pre order place holder in at shopto as soon as it went live, not sure if i even want the console at launch, but the state the world is in currently getting straight in there might be the right call before the inevitable demand outstrips supply.

As long as i have my epic single player games i'll be happy, im predominately pc (valorant & counterstrike) nothing compares on console yet as tactical shooters is basically a genre that doesn't exist on console due to autoaim/sticks (although there was a horrifically bad one just released that's free to play) name slips me but it looked incredibly awful in the gameplay footage.

Demons souls looked like the game that i would be most looking forward to out of the original showing, i've never played it properly i did own it but i'd never played a souls game then and didn't stick with it. Now vastly more experienced in the genre with bloodbourne and the souls series so be great to play it properly!