Gaming PlayStation 5

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think there needs to be a balance, i.e. the PS4. Interesting design, with consideration given to potential cohesiveness.

Not everyone wants to make a gaming console the star feature of their room.
If it's costing a fortune, I am putting it in the centre of the room on a pedestal with spotlights shining down onto it.

dove

I would really like to see the living rooms of people saying it will not fit in theirs :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think there needs to be a balance, i.e. the PS4. Interesting design, with consideration given to potential cohesiveness.

Not everyone wants to make a gaming console the star feature of their room.
Where are people putting their consoles if they're the star feature of the room? Do you hang it from the ceiling?

It goes under the telly.

Irwin99

I'm hoping ps4 remasters or ports of older games from the ps1/ps2 era will play ok. I've built a nice little digital collection of FF and RE games that I'll be pissed if they can't play on PS5.

Brocky

The skill level on console is just rubbish, competitive gaming on console isn't for me mouse and raw aim is just better.

Cheating is an issue on pc sure, but the majority of the time people are just better then you but its easy to call cheats we are all guilty of it.
We were talking about the multiplayer experience on console being rubbish in comparison to PC specifically, not the advantages of peripherals, iirc. So, I am still confused as to how you reach the conclusion that the console MP experience is worse, when servers are more populated - which translates into shorter wait times and more accurate skill matching - and cheating is much less of an issue.

For context, I own both a console and a mid-high end PC and have done for close to 20 years. I play more games on PC these days than console. I genuinely find it confusing how you come to the conclusion that you have, however.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The skill level on console is just rubbish, competitive gaming on console isn't for me mouse and raw aim is just better.

Cheating is an issue on pc sure, but the majority of the time people are just better then you but its easy to call cheats we are all guilty of it.

Brocky

Comparison of skill level between PC and console is pretty much futile these days, as you can use KB/M on console and many PC gamers use a controller. An argument can be made for frame rates giving a slight advantage, but that really only implies that console gamers have to be more skilled to keep up in a cross-play environment....but that's a different subject.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Comparison of skill level between PC and console is pretty much futile these days, as you can use KB/M on console and many PC gamers use a controller. An argument can be made for frame rates giving a slight advantage, but that really only implies that console gamers have to be more skilled to keep up in a cross-play environment....but that's a different subject.
Framerates aren't just a slight advantage. Just like autoaim/aimbot isn't.

But yeah it's a different subject really and rather a tedious one as most take sides and can't be objective about the strengths/weaknesses of the relevent parts.

As someone who plays both console/PC with whatever is the best peripheral to use per game, I couldn't give a shit about whether people think it takes more or less skill to use a controller or MKB. Both are very different and have very different skill sets.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

But yeah it's a different subject really and rather a tedious one as most take sides and can't be objective about the strengths/weaknesses of the relevent parts.

As someone who plays both console/PC with whatever is the best peripheral to use per game, I couldn't give a shit about whether people think it takes more or less skill to use a controller or MKB. Both are very different and have very different skill sets.
I could never really get into PC gaming, I’m just not that good with a keyboard and mouse. That said I used to love Unreal Tournament 3 back in the day, was one of my first ever online games.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Prove me wrong, but I think you are the one giving out disinformation here. Find me one source that shows the top 100 games will be enhanced.

This is simply not true. You are misleading people

Eurogamer - today June 12th
As I mentioned in my original post, Sony have fumbled the messaging. What Cerny said in keynote didn't align with what was written in the blog post. Also, take a look at this, they issued an update on BC which you didn't quote.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.
'Boosted frequency' means running at PS5 clocks aka Enhanced BC. PS4 Pro also has an in-built boost mode function, you can turn it on to run PS4 titles at Pro clocks. Not every game is able to take advantage of it, hence, many devs offer a Pro patch. But, even in absence of either, games still run like they do on PS4. PS5 is working on the same lines, some codes will able to function on PS5 clocks, some won't. Hence them evaluating it title-by-title, but that's beyond the regular BC, they have a SoC in place which can mimic the logic of preceding consoles. We've known since early Gonzalo leaks from 2018 that Sony were going with baked in BC on the die itself. The clocks from PS4 and Pro were found in that, which is consistent with every PS5 SoC leak later on in Ariel and Oberon.

I highly suggest you to take a look at their March keynote again, you don't praise AMD for keeping certain features while transitioning to a new architecture or shower praises of your BC, if Top 100 games are all you get to function, and require dedicated investment to get them running. That would be a horrific waste of time and money, which also has a bearing on the very hardware you're designing. Cerny and his team stuck with 18WGPs (36CUs, same as PS4 Pro) as it would be easier to get logic timing right. There is a slide in the presentation which shows two legacy PS4 modes, pay attention to what is being said in there, and later on.

Sony have bungled the messaging on many instances so far on PS5, just yesterday you had the whole fiasco of Spider-Man game being a 'remaster' etc. The confusion around BC is another one, I expect them to clarify it one of the future events. As for me spreading disinformation, this topic has been beaten to death on PS5 architecture thread on Era. Go through it.

Brocky

Completely agree. I couldn't ever imagine playing CS, Overwatch or ARMA with a controller and being as effective but then games like Destiny and The Division - whilst benefiting from the more accurate aim via mouse - really don't feel as slick using a keyboard to control movement and so I would always pick a controller.

And yeah, "slight" was probably an understatement if we're talking a quality rig Vs a console running 30 FPS.

Brocky

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
As I mentioned in my original post, Sony have fumbled the messaging. What Cerny said in keynote didn't align with what was written in the blog post. Also, take a look at this, they issued an update on BC which you didn't quote.

Sony have bungled the messaging on many instances so far on PS5, just yesterday you had the whole fiasco of Spider-Man game being a 'remaster' etc. The confusion around BC is another one, I expect them to clarify it one of the future events. As for me spreading disinformation, this topic has been beaten to death on PS5 architecture thread on Era. Go through it.
Sony have bungled the messaging alright, but I think deliberately. They know that Backwards Compatability wont be complete by launch, so they are keeping the message vague.
There's so much mis-information in this thread,

This is the type of stuff I was talking about. I don't blame the poster, sites like GiantBomb are still running with only 100 PS4 games will be BC. And, much of that is Sony messing up the messaging initially.
Therefore, when sites like GB are writing about BC and Top 100 games, what they are actually talking about is Enhanced BC. The basic BC is built in the SoC itself, as it can mimic the logic of predecessors. So, save for select few from thousands of PS4 games. Expect all of them to work on PS5, just don't expect all of them to leverage the PS5 clocks. That would require more work from Sony and devs.
You accused others, including myself, of spreading misinformation but then the above.

This contradicts what is written on the Playstation Blog

And this is the misinformation you accused me of spreading:
At the moment it's not even confirmed how many PS4 titles will play on PS5. Sony said they want most of them playing but they didn't say when. They said that most of the top 100 games will play at launch IIRC.

On the topic of R*, GTAV on Xbox One X plays the same as the standard version. So don't expect them to bother updating RDR2
Literally everything I've written there is correct.

Anyway, this is the last I'll say on the subject :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Sony have bungled the messaging alright, but I think deliberately. They know that Backwards Compatability wont be complete by launch, so they are keeping the message vague.

You accused others, including myself, of spreading misinformation but then the above.

This contradicts what is written on the Playstation Blog

And this is the misinformation you accused me of spreading:

Literally everything I've written there is correct.

Anyway, this is the last I'll say on the subject :lol:
I feel like we’re going in circles mate, and the screen which you posted is exactly what I meant when I wrote they bungled the messaging. The words in there are in complete contradiction to what was said by PS5 lead architect as I explained it above. I just tried to explain the technicality behind it to add more weight to the argument I was making. Anyways, the screen which you posted, it got updated later with an added para which I quoted in my last post.

Maybe you’re indeed right, Sony have completely messed up the BC but given what we’ve known since 2018 and developments since then, it’s hard for me to buy into that. We shall see soon hopefully, if it’s a messaging problem, or a hardware problem. I’m leaning towards former but if you don’t, let’s agree to disagree.

P.S. I never accused you of spreading mis-information. That’s down to major outlets and Sony themselves. Sony did a very poor job with blogpost after keynote and majority of big gaming sites never bothered to research the tech themselves and just ran with the Top 100 narrative.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
For the record, @Kush is right on this one wrt BC... It will become clear soon enough so no point arguing over it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I feel like we’re going in circles mate, and the screen which you posted is exactly what I meant when I wrote they bungled the messaging. The words in there are in complete contradiction to what was said by PS5 lead architect as I explained it above. I just tried to explain the technicality behind it to add more weight to the argument I was making. Anyways, the screen which you posted, it got updated later with an added para which I quoted in my last post.

Maybe you’re indeed right, Sony have completely messed up the BC but given what we’ve known since 2018 and developments since then, it’s hard for me to buy into that. We shall see soon hopefully, if it’s a messaging problem, or a hardware problem. I’m leaning towards former but if you don’t, let’s agree to disagree.

P.S. I never accused you of spreading mis-information. That’s down to major outlets and Sony themselves. Sony did a very poor job with blogpost after keynote and majority of big gaming sites never bothered to research the tech themselves and just ran with the Top 100 narrative.
No worries mate.. dunno why I argue with people on the internet about video consoles :lol:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
One thing the PS5 reveal has told me is that console warriors still exist. Try reading comments under an IGN tweet or something. It's pathetic

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I wonder how Sony as a company feel about their design. There are countless number of memes and jokes going around about it.
There was about the PS4 Pro and even their competitors like the Series X (which Greenberg embraced by having the 'Series X fridge' in the background of the Inside Xbox event). Ultimately don't think they'll be bothered and the publicity is good.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder how Sony as a company feel about their design. There are countless number of memes and jokes going around about it.
Do you really think somebody at their offices hasn't already made the 'router' or 'Alienware' joke. They've consciously chosen that design, I'm sure they probably privately focus tested it too. In a years time literally nobody will care...

dove

I am sure they feel just fine and why wouldn't they. Nice modern design. People just try to be funny and "creative" doing all these router jokes but Sony couldn't care less I am sure.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it looks good, to be honest. I really like the colour scheme too, though the console has been associated with jet black since PS2.

Only thing I’m concerned about is that barely any of the games shown even look worth buying it over. I’m sure Horizon, and maybe one or two others will look amazing, but beyond that? It felt very Indie central.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Memes mean nothing.

Xbox picked the safest, non-offensive design possible and still got "Haha, looks like a fridge." memes.

binary bot
I like the design partly because ive got a white/black PC tower but it looks fecking huge

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The design has a grown on me, I think it’ll look a lot better than in the pictures aswell. The Xbox design is just hideous, just a big block.

As an aside, Sony had a terrible start with their PS3 launch and Microsoft with their silly DRM issues ensured the Xbox One received a lot of bad press and a huge backlash from gamers. Seems like this generation neither has made any significant errors so far?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Lot of weirdness in this thread. Buy if you want, don't buy if you don't want. It's a consumer choice not a life choice.

All my friends are playstation and I'm looking forward to the ssd load times for my existing library. That's why I'll be buying day one.

If you hate the design, want to wait, want an X box.... great. Not a political choice either. fecking xbox nazi's ;)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Lot of weirdness in this thread. Buy if you want, don't buy if you don't want. It's a consumer choice not a life choice.

All my friends are playstation and I'm looking forward to the ssd load times for my existing library. That's why I'll be buying day one.

If you hate the design, want to wait, want an X box.... great. Not a political choice either. fecking xbox nazi's ;)
Eh...? :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Not for us that don't have a life.