Gaming PlayStation 5

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Yes. I’ve been banned before for something pathetic - I whinged about it and they reinstated me - no apology though
I've been banned multiple times, mostly for jokes. This time it was 'trolling'. It seems like having a different opinion is considered trolling there.

Brocky

People used to get motion sickness from early FPS games, and when we were playing games like Space Harrier and R-Type nobody could imagine something like HZD or Elite Dangerous, give it time.
Showing your age there, bud! Two of my favourite games from back in the day, though.
As someone who has a PSVR on a headset stand alongside my other electronic components (my TVs are mounted) I have no problem with the PS5s aesthetics....
Would prefer it on black though tbh.

How you doing mate? Good I hope...
Yeah, i'm good, mate. Hope you and the fam are too.

I like it in black but purely based on it being more 'stealth'. I really don't dislike the revealed version and couldn't give a toss what it's going to look like next to my TV. I find it amusing that everyone all of a sudden gets all Feng Shui about a fecking games console.

You going to be looking to buy day one? I'm very much considering it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Right, so I still have a PS3

Is this new console worth getting without a 4K TV to match?

Also, will Ratchet and Clank be released solely on the PS5 or will it come out on the PS4 as well? That's the only game I care about

Also, what's this about no disks? So you need internet connection to play always?

Brocky

There's so much mis-information in this thread, I can't be arsed quoting everyone but that VGC article which says Spider-Man is just a 'remaster' is click-bait. If you read the quotes, there is nothing to be found on that front.

You didn't play Infamous:First Light, Uncharted Lost Legacy and said, oh these games are only remasters, these are standalone DLCs leveraging the previous tech. Same thing is with Spider-Man Miles Morales, but the difference being, they are building it around PS5, the lighting and texture in itself is a dead giveaway that, it is running on updated engine. Wait for DF to do their analysis, Sonys' shitty 1080p stream didn't do a good job of highlighting the details in many of the trailers.
Nothing to do with Sony. They put out at 4K. YouTube's restrictions, due to COVID, were to blame. There are 4K clips of each of the games a few pages back.

Also, I felt that it was fairly obvious that the Spider-man reveal wasn't going to be a sequel, from the clip. Just the fact that there's been such a short space of time since the last one, in addition to a new generation and also COVID should douse any expectation of a full-blown sequel so soon, imo.

Bojan11

From this very article you linked:

It's very, very, very unlikely to be $600 or more. Every single analyst excepts something around $500, with $549 being the highest I've seen, apart from your estimate.

That's still a massive (at least 25%) price increase over the PS4 launch. That makes sense as it indeed costs more to manufacture. But 50%? People call the $500 price "steep", "eye-watering" and such. $600 would be met with utter disbelief.

EDIT: That said, I'm not sure how UK prices are calculated. Maybe with VAT it will be much higher than a simple exchange from USD.

The pound is in the shitter since 2013 and I’m convinced with what Ryan is saying they are going to go for £500 during the first year.

Also it’s not as simple as during a straight exchange rate. These sites that rumour it for $500 don’t include the taxes as they differ from state to state in America.

@MaxiPaxi only title I’m sure that will get a free upgrade is cyberpunk. The rest I’m not sure. Control was announced for PS5 and Series X yesterday, which I wasn’t happy about unless the people who own it get the free upgrades like it should be. If they are charging again then they can feck off.

Brocky

Also, will Ratchet and Clank be released solely on the PS5 or will it come out on the PS4 as well? That's the only game I care about

Also, what's this about no disks? So you need internet connection to play always?
I would suggest getting a PS5 without a 4K TV is going to be kind of a waste, tbh.

I can't see R&C being on PS4. The speed of the transition of assets and between 'worlds' would be nowhere close to doable on a HDD.

There is a version with a drive and one without. Not sure about offline play.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Depends what are you after?
I’m sure there will be a supersampling feature for lower resolution display. Anyway, it’s going to be a massive difference in graphical fidelity jumping from ps3 to ps5.
Like blow you away in terms of a difference.

Paxi

The pound is in the shitter since 2013 and I’m convinced with what Ryan is saying they are going to go for £500 during the first year.

Also it’s not as simple as during a straight exchange rate. These sites that rumour it for $500 don’t include the taxes as they differ from state to state in America.

@MaxiPaxi only title I’m sure that will get a free upgrade is cyberpunk. The rest I’m not sure. Control was announced for PS5 and Series X yesterday, which I wasn’t happy about unless the people who own it get the free upgrades like it should be. If they are charging again then they can feck off.
Ah right so there is an issue around charging for games, it’s going to happen then — if it didn’t they would have clarified it imo.
It’s a joke but knowing me I’ll probably be double dipping anyway.

Bojan11

I mean, the PS4 (2013) was only slightly more at launch than the PS2 (2000). The PS3 (2007) was more expensive.

The only Sony console that didn't sell really well at launch was the PS3 and guess what, they sold that for nearly $200 more than the PS4!

It could be as expensive as you suggest, and that would be a bad move by Sony.
https://www.ft.com/content/4a4dc0ee-dd67-11db-8d42-000b5df10621

Not really.

PS3 launch surpassed PS2 and PS1. It had record sales at launch.

The problem for Sony was the competition stepped up their game, undercut them and had better online system. Also better games at the time. The games also ran better on the 360. The price wasn’t the main reason PS3 flopped compared to other PS consoles. MS upped their game and they should have really ran away with that gen, but they stopped because Don Mattrick loves his TV and Kinect. He took over and ruined all the work they did.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I would suggest getting a PS5 without a 4K TV is going to be kind of a waste, tbh.

I can't see R&C being on PS4. The speed of the transition of assets and between 'worlds' would be nowhere close to doable on a HDD.

There is a version with a drive and one without. Not sure about offline play.
Depends what are you after?
I’m sure there will be a supersampling feature for lower resolution display. Anyway, it’s going to be a massive difference in graphical fidelity jumping from ps3 to ps5.
Like blow you away in terms of a difference.
Thanks gents. New TV here we come...

Abizzz

So I know next to nothing about consoles, but I picked up that they were finally moving away from 30FPS for this gen, is it true?

Bojan11

So I know next to nothing about consoles, but I picked up that they were finally moving away from 30FPS for this gen, is it true?
No.

Depends on the game and developers to give you multiple options. Don’t expect 4K 60fps often. But expect a lesser resolution with 60fps maybe. The new AC will be 30fps on the next gen consoles.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Depends on the developer. First party on the whole will probably go more for 4K 30fps as graphics still mostly sell games, but some may have options for lower resolution with greater fps.

Abizzz

No.

Depends on the game and developers to give you multiple options. Don’t expect 4K 60fps often. But expect a lesser resolution with 60fps maybe. The new AC will be 30fps on the next gen consoles.
Depends on the developer. First party on the whole will probably go more for 4K 30fps as graphics still mostly sell games, but some may have options for lower resolution with greater fps.
Ah, thanks for the quick answers! I guess it makes sense to give the user a bit of control over how to utilize the resources but I was hoping 60fps would become the new standard when I heard about it.

Paxi

60fps might be achievable with a talented dev team if they implement vrs.

Coxy

I've been banned multiple times, mostly for jokes. This time it was 'trolling'. It seems like having a different opinion is considered trolling there.
Yeah it's pathetic - they are ultra sensitive and worried about peoples feelings etc - it goes too far though so you can't debate anything, so one sided.

Damien

Staff
Another game coming to PS5 (previously announced for PS4 and PC): The Pathless

PS5 enhancements
DualSense controller
The PS5’s DualSense Controller is a game-changer. It’ll let you feel the heartbeat of our world — the tension of drawing back a bow, the wingbeats of an eagle soaring higher, the rumbling of a distant boss readying to attack… our goal is to immerse you in the vibrant world of The Pathless, and the DualSense controller will make it feel like you’re there.

Immersive 3D audio
We built The Pathless with highly spatial 3D audio sources. We split ambient sounds into many small sources all around the environment to really immerse the player in the world. Our game features a number of exotic biomes, and the PS5’s audio technology will make it feel like you’re running, sliding, and shooting through each one of them.

Seamless open world
From day one we’ve been focusing on creating a seamless experience with no load screens on PS5. We stream our level from the disk as fast as possible, and with the unparalleled power of the PS5’s SSD we can stream in distant parts of the level with no loss of performance. Slowly filling progress bars are a thing of the past; the only thing you won’t be able to do is check your phone.
Another game I don't think was announced: Tribes of Midgard

Smores

I'm intrigued by the claims that the controller will be more immersive through vibrations, didn't we hear the same pitch on the PS4 but developers barely used it because it's annoying

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm intrigued by the claims that the controller will be more immersive through vibrations, didn't we hear the same pitch on the PS4 but developers barely used it because it's annoying
Moreso haptic feedback than vibrations.... Like your phone for example (unless you have a shit drug dealers phone, in which case I take it back)

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That's what I thought.

On another note Horizon 2 looks good but I'm not buying a console for 1 game and everything else looked meh.
This is what I thought. Personally it feels way too soon for a new generation console in my opinion, it feels like the other one is hardly dead

Ainu

This is what I thought. Personally it feels way too soon for a new generation console in my opinion, it feels like the other one is hardly dead
The current gen consoles with their terrible CPUs and slow, mechanical HDDs have been making life very hard for developers for years now. It's time.

Fully Fledged

I'm hoping that Xbox's purchase of premium developers might bring a strong line up of games when they release their first party games next month. The problem is that the Covid lock down has hindered the development of the games to be produced next year and the year after.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I always held the view that I wasn't ready for a next-gen console and thought it was too soon, but my PS4 has been chugging along for a while now and it's starting to show its age. Graphically, games are still impressive but its the rest of it. Navigating the menus is painfully slow. Download speeds are poor which I hope is something they sort out. It really does feel like an old console now, IMO.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Showing your age there, bud! Two of my favourite games from back in the day, though.
What can I say? You never forget most of those early classics, can't say the same for some of these new ones...
Yeah, i'm good, mate. Hope you and the fam are too.
Can't complain, lot to catch up on next time we party up though I'll say that much.
I like it in black but purely based on it being more 'stealth'. I really don't dislike the revealed version and couldn't give a toss what it's going to look like next to my TV. I find it amusing that everyone all of a sudden gets all Feng Shui about a fecking games console.
Yea sit it down and leave it, the controller (the most visible part) ain't bad.
You going to be looking to buy day one? I'm very much considering it.
Dunno, I didn't plan to... but then I know they'll sell out. So I've pre-ordered one and I'll either get cold feet, keep it, or sell it on for a profit....

Damien

Staff
Anyone else remember seeing this Majora's Mask fan vid from years ago?

That was done by the same studio that are releasing Kena - the game in the event last night

That looks like an internet router
Yeah, i don't think either of them are great. A big white WiFi router under your TV or a big black Xbox that won't fit anywhere. I guess it must be a conscious decision since both previous generations were fairly slick and easy to hide.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
If this is the case, then I'm definitely buying it. I assume it will be slightly cheaper than a full-priced game also.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just read a BBC interview, and the way they worded a question doesn’t sit right with me:

“The PS5 event was postponed by a week as a result of the unrest in the United States at the moment. Did that situation lead to any changes in the content shown or anything else in today's presentation?

No, it did not.”

Sony didn’t see it as due to unrest, and saw it as not wanting to take the spotlight off more important things. Seriously feck the BBC

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
When do we think the next event will be that will surely focus on the console itself? Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Castia

When do we think the next event will be that will surely focus on the console itself? Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Yeah, cant wait to see the UI etc. There was a quick flash when it was saying 'press the PS button' and it looked brilliant.

Damien

Staff
July, I reckon but might be more a State of Play/blog post type thing. They did a hint with the small boot screen section which looked like a mix of PS3 and PS4. Then possibly one more event in August either revealing any possible games they've withheld from this one or showing enhancements from select PS4 games.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

This is the type of stuff I was talking about. I don't blame the poster, sites like GiantBomb are still running with only 100 PS4 games will be BC. And, much of that is Sony messing up the messaging initially.

The PS5 SoC has 2 dedicated BC modes to mimic PS4 logic, one is legacy mode, the other is pro mode. So, the PS5, can disable 9WGP (18CUs), downlock to 800 MHz to mimic PS4, or downclock to 911MHz to mimic PS4 Pro. So, imagine, if you boot a game like Driveclub on PS5, a game which didn't get any Pro patch, the SoC will view the code like PS4 and disable 9WGP and downclock to 800MHz to run it as it ran on PS4, same for a game like Uncharted 4, it got a Pro patch, so, it'll downclock to 911MHz and play like it did on a Pro.

^It is different from boost mode, which is designed to leverage the PS5 clocks to boost the performance. This is what Cerny was talking about when he spoke of Top 100 game thing, that in order to leverage PS5 clocks, they have to evaluate the code on game-by-game basis, the code which can't run on those speeds would need to patched by the devs.

Therefore, when sites like GB are writing about BC and Top 100 games, what they are actually talking about is Enhanced BC. The basic BC is built in the SoC itself, as it can mimic the logic of predecessors. So, save for select few from thousands of PS4 games. Expect all of them to work on PS5, just don't expect all of them to leverage the PS5 clocks. That would require more work from Sony and devs.
What the actual hell are you on about? You quote me, then don't actually talk about what I was talking about.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
@Kush

This was the last word from Sony

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Top 100 at launch. Many more over time.

Now you might be right, nearly every game might be playable at launch. But Sony havent said that.

But I think you're dreaming if you think your old games will suddenly play better