Gaming PlayStation 5

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I really can't understand how you go on about games being cartoony and childish when you haven't played the likes of GoW or Horizon, that's ridiculous.
But again, I'm not saying they're bad games or cartoony.
I'm looking at a broader picture.
Like I said. Look at Ubisoft. A joke of a company - And even more pathetic is the rumour / statement Valhalla is gonna play at 30fps :houllier::houllier:
Bethesda. Didn't get a new Elder Scrolls this Gen, but my god we got plenty of remakes and a half assed Fallout game.

But the point I keep saying, and the one you seem to miss is I said gaming as a whole, where I also said Sony do it better than any, so this isn't a bash at Sony, more the companies outside of Sony

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Like I said. Look at Ubisoft. A joke of a company - And even more pathetic is the rumour / statement Valhalla is gonna play at 30fps :houllier::houllier:
Bethesda. Didn't get a new Elder Scrolls this Gen, but my god we got plenty of remakes and a half assed Fallout game.

But the point I keep saying, and the one you seem to miss is I said gaming as a whole, where I also said Sony do it better than any, so this isn't a bash at Sony, more the companies outside of Sony
When have Ubisoft not been a joke though? You're just nitpicking.

What about CD projekt red? Or Larian studios? Or Atlas? OR From Software?

The likes of capcom and Square Enix also still release really good games, too.

Activision have also been getting their act together more lately.

Not to mention Nintendo!

The "broader" picture is that there have been more great games in the last 5 years than I can remember in a long time - maybe the early 00's. Your problem is you haven't bothered to play most of them and are forming a wrong opinion.

Ainu

You're just looking at some of the worst companies currently out there. I you're only consider the likes of Ubisoft and Bethesda, no wonder you're getting tired of gaming. There's a whole world beyond that and I'd say plenty of studios have done a stellar job this generation.

Bojan11

When have Ubisoft not been a joke though? You're just nitpicking.

What about CD projekt red? Or Larian studios? Or Atlas? OR From Software?

The likes of capcom and Square Enix also still release really good games, too.

Activision have also been getting their act together more lately.

Not to mention Nintendo!

The "broader" picture is that there have been more great games in the last 5 years than I can remember in a long time - maybe the early 00's. Your problem is you haven't bothered to play most of them and are forming a wrong opinion.
2017-2020 is up there with 2004-2008 in terms of quality games. Those years have been brilliant.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
HZD2 looks amazing. Didn't expect it so early tbh.

Chairman Steve

RE8 looked great, as did the Demon’s Souls Bluepoint remake. Surprised they didnt put a TLOU2 PS5 front and centre on this. I guess they don’t want to harm the PS4 sales chances of their golden goose.

That Pragmata game from Capcom looked awesome. New Capcom IPs with a big budget behind them intrigue me.

Ainu

RE8 looked great, as did the Demon’s Souls Bluepoint remake. Surprised they didnt put a TLOU2 PS5 front and centre on this. I guess they don’t want to harm the PS4 sales chances of their golden goose.

That Pragmata game from Capcom looked awesome. New Capcom IPs with a big budget behind them intrigue me.
Capcom have been on a great run in recent years. Ever since Resident Evil 7 in early 2017.

AaronRedDevil

The launch looks like it’s going to be a bit weak but I’m sure after December the console will be better. HZD2 surely isn’t coming on launch right? Didn’t even see a 2020 date or coming in 2020. Supposed Spider man spin off, R&C and GT will be the launch games maybe. Good thing is that you can still play the PS4 games you still haven’t gotten around to on it so that’s a plus.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
The PS4 was a step up from the PS3 in terms of gameplay, graphics and just the scale and detail of games but it wasn’t so much so that it blew you away. If I remember correctly I was really disappointed for the first few years until games like Red Dead 2 came out.

Based on yesterday’s event it looks to be a similar path for PS5. I was hoping for incredibly detailed, almost real world graphics. GT7 looks the same as the others. We’ll have to see.

Bojan11

The launch looks like it’s going to be a bit weak but I’m sure after December the console will be better. HZD2 surely isn’t coming on launch right? Didn’t even see a 2020 date or coming in 2020. Supposed Spider man spin off, R&C and GT will be the launch games maybe. Good thing is that you can still play the PS4 games you still haven’t gotten around to on it so that’s a plus.
I would be surprised if two insomniac games are launch games. Think ratchet coming later.

Also don’t expect GT at launch. Those guys are wasters.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Watched most of it there. Games really are super-samey these days. Boring.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
NBA 2k looks really good, that's the game I play most often.
I like the design of the console - I also like that it's white & black, black only would be incredibly boring.

Whats the situation with the bluetooth headsets & such? Can we use airpods as mics yet?

JohnZSmith27

Tha majority of those games appeal to me so I'll definitely be getting it on launch. Hope we don't have to wait too long to play Horizon 2.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wasn't the PS3 £599 when it launched in 2006. That was considered too expensive back then but it was 14 years ago. £599 still seems expensive but console prices were always going to increase. I'm not a financial expert so I'm just making suppositions but it probably says something about the average wage not increasing fast enough to match inflation. In the age of covid-19, will the average person even be able to fork over £599 for a luxury item?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would have liked had they made some video showing off what the games in future could look like - basically a demonstration that this is the ultimate levels games could reach to - especially as the first couple of years are spent by companies trying to figure out the ultimate capability of the console

Chairman Steve

I‘m hopeful that Valve doing the Index and releasing HL Alyx means PS5 will consider doing VR.

Valve have pretty much shown that VR isn’t some fad, and is a legitimate step forward. It’d be amazing if Sony turned around and said the Index is compatible with PS5 but you know that won’t happen.

Bojan11

Wasn't the PS3 £599 when it launched in 2006. That was considered too expensive back then but it was 14 years ago. £599 still seems expensive but console prices were always going to increase. I'm not a financial expert so I'm just making suppositions but it probably says something about the average wage not increasing fast enough to match inflation. In the age of covid-19, will the average person even be able to fork over £599 for a luxury item?
It was £425, horsey.

Ainu

I‘m hopeful that Valve doing the Index and releasing HL Alyx means PS5 will consider doing VR.

Valve have pretty much shown that VR isn’t some fad, and is a legitimate step forward. It’d be amazing if Sony turned around and said the Index is compatible with PS5 but you know that won’t happen.
You do realize they have their own VR headset, right? They've been pushing mainstream VR more than anyone else on the market.

b82REZ

Would have liked had they made some video showing off what the games in future could look like - basically a demonstration that this is the ultimate levels games could reach to - especially as the first couple of years are spent by companies trying to figure out the ultimate capability of the console
You kinda answered your own point there.

Companies still won't know what the capabilities it the system are yet so the bar wont be raised significantly for a year or two.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I originally watched a bit of it on a crappy stream and was thoroughly underwhelmed. But I just rewatched it in better quality and games like Ratchet make you realise there is a definite upgrade. It doesn’t look like something a PS4 could do. Everything else looked much better, but Ratchet sold me on it being next gen
The tech available today can barely do ray tracing without a massive drop in fps - I'd imagine it won't be until the generation after this one that you get full ray tracing on 4k at decent frame rates.

Ainu

Are you asking for target renders? Because they did that back in 2005-06 and it was terrible. In terms of actual tech demonstrations, we actually did get that with the new Unreal Engine demo, just no in this presentation.

Chairman Steve

You do realize they have their own VR headset, right? They've been pushing mainstream VR more than anyone else on the market.
Yeah but it seems like PSVR flopped from what I’ve read, as did other companies doing VR ventures in the past few years, to the point it seems like theres a universal feeling that they’re shelving it for now.

But then in comes Valve after a decade of silence, drops a new Half-Life and it’s in VR and it gets very good reviews... so I’m hoping that Sony does reconsider taking it seriously again, seeing how Valve pulled it off great.

Bojan11

Regarding price.

Last of us PS4 pro bundle is £350. You could say £300 just for the pro effectively. The pro has not had much of a price drop since coming out four years ago.

I think it will be £500 or slightly more. Most likely the digital one being £500 and the disc version £550. Sony know with the digital consoles that person is going to buy all their games through them. Hence why they will price that less.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It’s cheaper than the One X which is quite a bit more powerful. I could see this being a similar price with a bigger SSD
I wasn't comparing it to the One X. I was comparing the All Digital (One S) version to the normal One S that has a disk drive. It's cheaper.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wasn't comparing it to the One X. I was comparing the All Digital (One S) version to the normal One S that has a disk drive. It's cheaper.
I didn’t realise there was a normal One S.

The SSDs on the new ones sound mad powerful though. That’s gonna cost surely

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Regarding price.

Last of us PS4 pro bundle is £350. You could say £300 just for the pro effectively. The pro has not had much of a price drop since coming out four years ago.

I think it will be £500 or slightly more. Most likely the digital one being £500 and the disc version £550. Sony know with the digital consoles that person is going to buy all their games through them. Hence why they will price that less.
I can't see them charging much more than they did for the PS4 on launch. Digital will be £400 I reckon.

b82REZ

Yeah but it seems like PSVR flopped from what I’ve read, as did other companies doing VR ventures in the past few years, to the point it seems like theres a universal feeling that they’re shelving it for now.

But then in comes Valve after a decade of silence, drops a new Half-Life and it’s in VR and it gets very good reviews... so I’m hoping that Sony does reconsider taking it seriously again, seeing how Valve pulled it off great.
As someone who owns VR on PC and PS4, Half Life is the exception, not the rule when it comes to VR gaming.

While I enjoy VR the idea of a "traditional" game in VR just doesn't work for the most part. Motion sickness caused by movement seems to be the biggest culprit, although I don't suffer from that myself.

VR will never be mainstream simply because not everyone enjoys the experience. And that's all it really is, a way to experience things in a more immersive way than to actually play something.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You kinda answered your own point there.

Companies still won't know what the capabilities it the system are yet so the bar wont be raised significantly for a year or two.
Not by gaming companies but say a 1-min simple video built by the PS team themselves that helps a normal PS player to understand how different PS5 is from PS4.

Basically, a normal user won't get the meaning of teraflops and its actual significance - Demonstrate it in some manner to get people really hyped up

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I didn’t realise there was a normal One S.

The SSDs on the new ones sound mad powerful though. That’s gonna cost surely
Yeah. Both One S, but obviously one has disk drive and the other doesn't.

That's why I can't see this All Digital version being 2TB like some are saying. Not right out the gate anyway. It would be mad expensive.

b82REZ

Not by gaming companies but say a 1-min simple video built by the PS team themselves that helps a normal PS player to understand how different PS5 is from PS4.

Basically, a normal user won't get the meaning of teraflops and its actual significance - Demonstrate it in some manner to get people really hyped up
Well if that's what you want look at the unreal 5 tech demo.

You were never going to get that from this event, this was always about showcasing specific IPs.
And tbh I think a lot of the games did a good job at showing the potential. R&C and HZD being the standouts, but for me Little Devil's (I think it was called) looks stunning.

Bojan11

I can't see them charging much more than they did for the PS4 on launch. Digital will be £400 I reckon.
Times have changed. The SSD in the console is expensive as feck. There’s no way it will launch at PS4 price for any of them. Xbox X was £425. This and the Xbox series x will cost more than that.

Production will also be limited, so that will also raise the RRP.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

If PSVR flopped then so did every other headset (including Index). PSVR is compatible with PS5 and will still see new software in the near future, and an improved PSVR2 (comparable to Valves Index) will launch a year or so down the line....

Be patient young padowan.

As someone who owns VR on PC and PS4, Half Life is the exception, not the rule when it comes to VR gaming.

While I enjoy VR the idea of a "traditional" game in VR just doesn't work for the most part. Motion sickness caused by movement seems to be the biggest culprit, although I don't suffer from that myself.

VR will never be mainstream simply because not everyone enjoys the experience. And that's all it really is, a way to experience things in a more immersive way than to actually play something.
Seriously underplaying the possibilities of VR. Astrobot, RE7, Walking Dead, and many more amazing games only held back by tech.

People used to get motion sickness from early FPS games, and when we were playing games like Space Harrier and R-Type nobody could imagine something like HZD or Elite Dangerous, give it time.

That's shit. Spiderman was great but I won't buy it again just for a bit of extra content.
Very disappointing... But why would we have to buy it again? Just buy the expansion surely?

Last edited: