LITTLE DEVIL INSIDE
NBA 2K21
BUGSNAX
DEMON’S SOUL
DEATHLOOP
RESIDENT EVIL VILLAGE
PRAGMATA
HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST
That's got the potential to be the best launch games with a new console since the ps1.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Impressive list of games announced so early. Question though, does anything really look next gen? I'll most definitely be buying a PS5 (although probably a year or so in), and would get games like HZD, but how different does that trailer really look from the PS4 version?

Castia

Impressive list of games announced so early. Question though, does anything really look next gen? I'll most definitely be buying a PS5 (although probably a year or so in), and would get games like HZD, but how different does that trailer really look from the PS4 version?
Not much better but apparently the 4K version of the conference is up now and the upgrade is noticeable, I’ll check it out later today.

It seems this gen will be more about the load times and lighting etc (ray tracing) which isn’t a bad thing. Plus these are early launch games, things tend to get better a couple of years in.

They should have shown the ssd in action, the people watching would have gotta a much better take on how that will work. I thought that’s what gtaV was being shown for, a comparison on load times on PS4 to PS5.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not much better but apparently the 4K version of the conference is up now and the upgrade is noticeable, I’ll check it out later today.

It seems this gen will be more about the load times and lighting etc (ray tracing) which isn’t a bad thing. Plus these are early launch games, things tend to get better a couple of years in.

They should have shown the ssd in action, the people watching would have gotta a much better take on how that will work. I thought that’s what gtaV was being shown for, a comparison on load times on PS4 to PS5.
Ray tracing should also make for better sound and AI as it allows developers to simulate the way sound moves and bounces off surfaces in the same way it maps light an also allows devs to use it to accurately model NPC field of vision rather than rely on hacks and tricks to simulate NPC behaviour. So an AI character could literally react to what they see in their field of view or react to changes in light or sound caused by the actions of the player character.

The potential there is huge in terms of making games feel more realistic and immersive.

macheda14

I originally watched a bit of it on a crappy stream and was thoroughly underwhelmed. But I just rewatched it in better quality and games like Ratchet make you realise there is a definite upgrade. It doesn’t look like something a PS4 could do. Everything else looked much better, but Ratchet sold me on it being next gen

Norris

I was rather disappointed to be honest. Only Spidey got me interested. The graphics on HZD2 looked great, but I am still to play the first one.

Plus very little info on the device and what really makes it next gen.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yeah, the only game that I thought couldn't have been done on PS4 is Ratchet and Clank with their constant loading of assets.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, the only game that I thought couldn't have been done on PS4 is Ratchet and Clank with their constant loading of assets.

That’s seriously impressive

Amarsdd

even if they didn't explicitly say it, but Ratchet and Clank gameplay was THE demonstration of their new custom I/O chip and the use of SSD. The way Ratchet was moving from one dimension to the other with the worlds instantly present there was pretty next gen.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Clearly a divisive design looking at the posts in the thread.

Not a fan of the idea of a digital version though, won’t be long till we’re held to ransom and all games are £85 or more as standard.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
To be fair, I think there's only so much graphics can actually improve now.

Doubt we'll ever see a jump like PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 ever again.... until we're all just living in one giant virtual video game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
it does look a bit mad, but at least it'll fit under my TV unlike the Series X.

Also the black mock up looks pretty nice. No idea why they had to make it white only. Hopefully by the time I buy one (whenever Horizon comes out) there will be a black version.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
A few interesting bits and pieces, but nothing they have shown so far strikes me as something I need to get anytime soon. Considering most of my gaming these days is coop playing with mates, it doesn't look like any of the games shown lend themselves to that type of play. Everything seems very single player focused at the moment, at least with the big name games.

Ainu

To be fair, I think there's only so much graphics can actually improve now.

Doubt we'll ever see a jump like PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 ever again.... until we're all just living in one giant virtual video game.
I think you'll see improvements in other areas. Like the next Ratchet game, it had a lot more stuff going on in its levels, a lot more characters/enemies on screen, lots of breakable stuff, lots of instant streaming of new assets. And improvements in lighting of course.

Massive Spanner

Games like Horizon and God of War had to do a lot of manipulating in order to look that good. Strict control over how far you see, the camera on the character, how many characters could be on screen at once etc. - I'm excited for these consoles because a lot of the "graphical" improvements should help the overall gameplay experience.

Imagine what they'll be able to do with the single camera set up of God of War 2 with that SSD and better graphics power? :drool:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
As TLOU2 comes out on PS4, I think I'll have enough play throughs in me to comfortably wait it out until they arrive at a PS5 slim or pro before buying it.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I originally watched a bit of it on a crappy stream and was thoroughly underwhelmed. But I just rewatched it in better quality and games like Ratchet make you realise there is a definite upgrade. It doesn’t look like something a PS4 could do. Everything else looked much better, but Ratchet sold me on it being next gen
Ratchet and Clank looked extremely impressive. 2 sec animation and whole new universe was being loaded. That was fantastic.

Hopefully it is less than 50k because I am buying it the day Ratchet and Clank releases.

Massive Spanner

Not sure why people are unimpressed with the games. Looks like a better launch/first year lineup than the PS3 and PS4 had anyway. You'll never get the big hitters like Horizon or GoW in the first few years, what's the point when less people have the console to buy them?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Games like Horizon and God of War had to do a lot of manipulating in order to look that good. Strict control over how far you see, the camera on the character, how many characters could be on screen at once etc. - I'm excited for these consoles because a lot of the "graphical" improvements should help the overall gameplay experience.

Imagine what they'll be able to do with the single camera set up of God of War 2 with that SSD and better graphics power? :drool:
Doesn't the custom I/O chip and all that gubbins also help out the CPU since all input data, sound and whatnot won't be processed by it (the CPU)? It is processed by the I/O and then just punted straight to RAM. It looks like they've done the most they possibly can to make sure that the GPU and CPU are used purely for just the game code.

Technically anything can now just be streamed in. It might make for some truly impressive looking images.

Amarsdd

Ratchet and Clank looked extremely impressive. 2 sec animation and whole new universe was being loaded. That was fantastic.

Hopefully it is less than 50k because I am buying it the day Ratchet and Clank releases.
in the gameplay shown after that trailer, there wasn't even that 2 sec animation, it was almost instant.

amolbhatia50k

Not sure why people are unimpressed with the games. Looks like a better launch/first year lineup than the PS3 and PS4 had anyway. You'll never get the big hitters like Horizon or GoW in the first few years, what's the point when less people have the console to buy them?
The line up looks great as far reveals go. The meat of a console generation tends to be after the first 1.5 to 2 years. I just found the graphics a bit samey rather than a technological marvel.

Massive Spanner

The line up looks great as far reveals go. The meat of a console generation tends to be after the first 1.5 to 2 years. I just found the graphics a bit samey rather than a technological marvel.
Yeah but people said that about early PS4 games too, that they didn't look much better than PS3 games. Always the case early on.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah but people said that about early PS4 games too, that they didn't look much better than PS3 games. Always the case early on.
Maybe. Can't recall to be honest. I do remember the earlier next generation console games like the old Tekken /GT/MGS2 SOL impressing me a lot more. Mgs2s demo itself was dumbfoundingly advanced for its time.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
There were a few exceptions like the order 1886, but the broader point stands.

I agree though that graphics are probably not going to improve loads though, more about having less limitations.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Let me phrase myself differently then: The PS4 launch wasn't something I should have gotten myself into. I regretted it as I only played Black Flag & Fifa for a fairly long time until the genre I really care for started to get proper games.

This time there was 0 jrpgs. I don't want to fall into the pre-order trap again based on hype.
Most of the games I am interested in will come to other platforms as well:
Godfall to pc, Elden Ring to ps4 & pc, Project Athia to pc, Kena to ps4 etc.

Massive Spanner

is there even any advantage to buying the console 2 years later anyway? With Sony you're probably looking at a 50 quid price decrease max. I mean the PS4 is still €300 and the Pro is €400 - seven years later.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
is there even any advantage to buying the console 2 years later anyway? With Sony you're probably looking at a 50 quid price decrease max. I mean the PS4 is still €300 and the Pro is €400 - seven years later.
For me the bonus would be getting a better library available on purchase, some games at a lower price but most importantly I can go directly to the pro.

Ended up selling my old ps4 and buying a pro this generation. Was stoked when I heard rumors that the pro would be released at the same time this generation, but it doesn't look like it.

Brophs

The One and Only
That console is going to look prrrrrrrrrretty sweet on my tv stand, never being played because I chose to have kids.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Primarily a bigger library of games, the chance to know what the console is like and not have to experience any teething problems. Moreover, people want some time to save up for the console.

Massive Spanner

I think the VR headset will suit the look of the console well too actually, because when I have it on, I won't be able to see the console.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Even looking beyond this event and the Xbox one, I've found the E3s over the last few years a bit meh also.

I haven't owned a PS for years, so games like GoW and H:ZD I've skipped, but they've never really pulled me in enough to want one. I borrowed a PS4 to play Until Dawn which intrigued me, and also a PS3 for TLoU and Heavy Rain, but nothing beyond that.

I think the more gaming is coming on, the more we're just slapped with these cartoony games. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems we get so many of these, and they just seem to lack effort. Not saying they're easy to design, but they're not wowing anyone with precision and detail.

This isn't focused on Sony or Microsoft, the gaming corner as a whole

Massive Spanner

I think the more gaming is coming on, the more we're just slapped with these cartoony games. I can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems we get so many of these, and they just seem to lack effort. Not saying they're easy to design, but they're not wowing anyone with precision and detail.
Not sure how you can come up with that assessment having not played the likes of Horizon or GoW, quite frankly.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Not sure how you can come up with that assessment having not played the likes of Horizon or GoW, quite frankly.
Although I haven't played them, I appreciate they look very good and probably are great games, but for me they're not worth getting a PS4 for alone and beyond that, the console is meh.

I more meant 95% of the other games that come out. I mean look at Bugsnax, Volcano High etc.... If thats showing off PS5s power then I'm sold...

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That's got the potential to be the best launch games with a new console since the ps1.
A number of those won't be comng out during launch but during 2021 and there was one that said 2022.

The issue that the PS5 event is an issue that the Inside Xbox one had too with 1080p YT stream and compression, so it didn't show the games off in the best light. If you do have a 4K monitor/TV, I recommend watching the 4K trailers that Brocky posted (and I've threadmarked) on it.

Huge improvement over the 2016 version, especially with Clank. The detail with the stitching on the female's boot is immense as well. Getting near to the point where it looks like a Pixar film.

HII:FW images do suffer from jaggies though (the birds with solar panels).

In the stream you do see some examples of what can be done on a PS5 that couldn't be done on a PS4 - no loading going through dimensions in R&C, Ray Tracing on Clank, GT7 etc, but ultimately a lot of improvements/features are those that can't be seen purely on a screen. Here's the description for that Returnal game:

Returnal combines side-scrolling action with roguelike gameplay into a third-person shooter where players fight to survive a hostile planet that changes with every death. Players can switch instinctively between firing modes by using a single adaptive trigger and can get right back into the action after dying. PS5's immersive 3D audio brings the alien world to life around the player, helping players navigate the intense positional combat. Coming to PlayStation 5.

Massive Spanner

Although I haven't played them, I appreciate they look very good and probably are great games, but for me they're not worth getting a PS4 for alone and beyond that, the console is meh.

I more meant 95% of the other games that come out. I mean look at Bugsnax, Volcano High etc.... If thats showing off PS5s power then I'm sold...
95% of games have always been a bit crap, though. Sony's big exclusives are what sell the consoles and their big exclusives are usually far from childish.

The PS4 arguably has a better library of games than the PS3 did, I'm not sure how you can say that's going backwards.

Ainu

Even looking beyond this event and the Xbox one, I've found the E3s over the last few years a bit meh also.

I haven't owned a PS for years, so games like GoW and H:ZD I've skipped, but they've never really pulled me in enough to want one. I borrowed a PS4 to play Until Dawn which intrigued me, and also a PS3 for TLoU and Heavy Rain, but nothing beyond that.

This isn't focused on Sony or Microsoft, the gaming corner as a whole
I find this a curious thing to say, looking at the PS4's library. These are some of the PS4's main exclusives in my opinion: God of War, Horizon, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Detroit: Become Human, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, Final Fantasy VII and Death Stranding. They're clearly not cartoony and most are extremely detailed. And beyond exclusives you've got games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Witcher 3. It's a strange conclusion.

I agree this reveal had perhaps a few too many of them, but you've got to remember these are early games. I'd expect the eventual catalogue to be closer to the PS4's than what we've seen so far.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
95% of games have always been a bit crap, though. Sony's big exclusives are what sell the consoles and their big exclusives are usually far from childish.

The PS4 arguably has a better library of games than the PS3 did, I'm not sure how you can say that's going backwards.
I never said it's going backwards. The rare gems are potentially great, I'm not saying otherwise.
I'm just more saying, looking beyond the obvious few exclusives, I feel game developers (and I'm not pointing at Sony solely) just don't seem to try.

Take GTA for example.... It started on the PS3, ran through PS4 until the end and was the first game on show on the PS5 reveal.
Sure it's making money, and lots of it, but my god it's been done to death. Bring out a new GTA, not just rehash the a PS3 game. Could say the exact same for Skyrim btw and it's 12 or so different variants. A lot of companies are just happy to bang out old games over and over.

Taking this event just gone though, out of them, how many are gonna be released within the first month, Gran Turismo for sure, maybe Spiderman if you're lucky, but it's not a great line up.
I agree that Sony do exclusives better than the rest and wouldn't argue that, but they can't prop up gaming on their own, and I'm more talking about developers beyond Sony.

And for this Ubisoft is a great example of a company that just bends over it's fans.

Massive Spanner

I never said it's going backwards. The rare gems are potentially great, I'm not saying otherwise.
I'm just more saying, looking beyond the obvious few exclusives, I feel game developers (and I'm not pointing at Sony solely) just don't seem to try.

Take GTA for example.... It started on the PS3, ran through PS4 until the end and was the first game on show on the PS5 reveal.
Sure it's making money, and lots of it, but my god it's been done to death. Bring out a new GTA, not just rehash the a PS3 game. Could say the exact same for Skyrim btw and it's 12 or so different variants. A lot of companies are just happy to bang out old games over and over.

Taking this event just gone though, out of them, how many are gonna be released within the first month, Gran Turismo for sure, maybe Spiderman if you're lucky, but it's not a great line up.
I agree that Sony do exclusives better than the rest and wouldn't argue that, but they can't prop up gaming on their own, and I'm more talking about developers beyond Sony.

And for this Ubisoft is a great example of a company that just bends over it's fans.
I'd strongly disagree myself. I can't recall many better periods for gaming than the last 4 or 5 years. So many amazing games. Like I said, you always get pure shite but the games the big studios have been putting out are amazing.

R* are a bad example and even then, they still gave us RDR2 which was bigger and more ambitious than anything they'd brought out before.

The simple fact is that AAA games take longer to make and cost more money to make than they used to. The typical development cycle for one has gone from 2-3 years to 5+ years. So studios are putting out less games but the quality is far higher.

I really can't understand how you go on about games being cartoony and childish when you haven't played the likes of GoW or Horizon, that's ridiculous.

decorativeed

Looking at the system specs for this, it's going to be massively expensive, isn't it. Definitely not launching for less than £600.