Gaming PlayStation 5

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Dammit. Turns out the Spider Man game is just a remaster with an expansion. Really made it out like it was a new game.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...s-is-a-remaster-and-expansion-sony-clarifies/
Thought that was obvious, to be honest. There's no way they would've made a whole new game that quick and have it ready for launch. Even the way it was shown implied it was just an add-on. If you need the original game to play it, I probably won't. I sold mine ages ago.

Ainu

Yeah but it seems like PSVR flopped from what I’ve read, as did other companies doing VR ventures in the past few years, to the point it seems like theres a universal feeling that they’re shelving it for now.

But then in comes Valve after a decade of silence, drops a new Half-Life and it’s in VR and it gets very good reviews... so I’m hoping that Sony does reconsider taking it seriously again, seeing how Valve pulled it off great.
It hasn't flopped, it sold over 5 million units at the start of this year which makes it the best selling tethered VR headset by a large margin. It's supported by a pretty good content library with some fully fledged VR titles like Resident Evil 7, Astrobot, Blood & Truth, No Man's Sky VR, Dirt Rally VR and others. It's all about expectation. If people were expecting this to be the "next big thing" and really take off, you might perceive it as flopping. But from a realistic point of view it's done really well. It needs huge improvements in praticality (it has to be wireless, period) to become really mainstream and I'm not sure we'll ever get there, but as it stands it's already a great product with some fantastic experiences available on it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Times have changed. The SSD in the console is expensive as feck. There’s no way it will launch at PS4 price for any of them. Xbox X was £425. This and the Xbox series x will cost more than that.

Production will also be limited, so that will also raise the RRP.
I dunno, the PS4 sold like wildfire cause Sony priced it much more affordably than MS with the XBONE. I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot with a dramatic price increase.

Ainu

Bojan11

I dunno, the PS4 sold like wildfire cause Sony priced it much more affordably than MS with the XBONE. I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot with a dramatic price increase.
Xbox also had gifted Sony. They released a underpowered console with Kinect forced on for a higher price. It was no brainer. If they had released a more powerful console at the start of last gen and charged more they would have gotten away with it. A lot of the 360 base would have jumped ship, but nope they lost a lot of them to Sony. They also pissed a lot of people off with all the used game shit.

I think MS as a company and where they going with gamepass will probably try to take the loss. Sony aren’t in the business of making losses on consoles again after the PS3. If they charge £500 for it then it will sellout over Xmas.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Dunno what they were thinking there. Make something modern and clean but fairly plain, surely? Then it fits in anywhere. I can’t imagine a single interior it would look alright in.

The Xbox might be a bit out there being an evil tower of death but it’s kinda cool and definitely modern and in keeping with the kind of stuff people pay top whack for, like Apple and Microsoft’s top end stuff. I’m surprised Sony didn’t want to go a similar route.
Yeah it looks too futuristic for my taste. Don’t get me wrong it’ll still be underneath my tv but it’s a design that definitely doesn’t go well with my tv and the tv stand. First world problems but we complain about the way phones look the way MacBooks look.. We critique everything so why is this different. It looks like shit to me but again different strokes for different folks I guess. I’ll still be getting it of course.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
As someone who has a PSVR on a headset stand alongside my other electronic components (my TVs are mounted) I have no problem with the PS5s aesthetics....
Mock-up black version.

Would prefer it on black though tbh.

How you doing mate? Good I hope...

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The controller is slick but the console looks a bit warped. Reminds me of Alienware.

Siorac

Xbox also had gifted Sony. They released a underpowered console with Kinect forced on for a higher price. It was no brainer. If they had released a more powerful console at the start of last gen and charged more they would have gotten away with it. A lot of the 360 base would have jumped ship, but nope they lost a lot of them to Sony. They also pissed a lot of people off with all the used game shit.

I think MS as a company and where they going with gamepass will probably try to take the loss. Sony aren’t in the business of making losses on consoles again after the PS3. If they charge £500 for it then it will sellout over Xmas.
That's $630 at current exchange rates - which would mean that the PS5 is over 50% more expensive than the PS4! Really really hard to see that. Every website I looked at estimates it at max around $500. That's USD. £500 would be absolutely shocking.

Sara125

I dunno man I don’t like the shape. Of course I’m still gonna end up getting it but it’s just not aesthetically pleasing to me haha

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

I think £500 would be madness. Digital at least will be cheaper than that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’ve set aside £1000 for a console and new 4K tv so hopefully that gets the job done!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also I pretty much never look at my PS4 so I'm not too fussed at how it looks. Hopefully fits in my tv stand though.

Bojan11

That's $630 at current exchange rates - which would mean that the PS5 is over 50% more expensive than the PS4! Really really hard to see that. Every website I looked at estimates it at max around $500. That's USD. £500 would be absolutely shocking.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-limited-playstation-5-output-in-first-year

Like I said a million times they going to limit production the first year hence why the higher price. They can drop it down the second year once they get parts for cheaper

Also pointless comparing it to PS4. This costs more to manufacture than PS4 did at launch.
And like I said earlier the PS4 pro is still going for £350 after four years. Do you think PS5 will just be £50 more expensive? Times have also changed. Back then phones cost £500 and now the same branded phones cost double that. Sony also wanted everyone off the PS3 echo system because the console was a massive loss and the free online. So they were always going to be aggressive with PS4.

Ryan started by mentioning how the current economic situations play a part in deciding the price. “Recent history has told us that gaming is one of the pastimes, and one of the businesses, that benefits in economically difficult times," he said. "It's quite logical, people don't have the money to go out so they stay at home. Now, who knows how this recession is going to look, how deep it will be and how long it will last. It could be that the historic templates, the historic models, that have applied in the past may not apply in the future,” he said to Gamesindustry.biz website

He added that despite this, Sony will try to deliver a value proposition to customers with PS5. And this doesn’t necessarily mean a low price. “I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games... all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”
Phil Spencer also touched on this saying they offering contracts for the console like they do with the other Xbox models.

Expect a higher price with limited launch for both.If you don’t preorder then be prepared to either bid for crazy money on eBay or wait. Even Nintendo are currently struggling with production, so a new console will be worse.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-limited-playstation-5-output-in-first-year

Like I said a million times they going to limit production the first year hence why the higher price. They can drop it down the second year once they get parts for cheaper

Also pointless comparing it to PS4. This costs more to manufacture than PS4 did at launch.
And like I said earlier the PS4 pro is still going for £350 after four years. Do you think PS5 will just be £50 more expensive? Times have also changed. Back then phones cost £500 and now the same branded phones cost double that. Sony also wanted everyone off the PS3 echo system because the console was a massive loss and the free online. So they were always going to be aggressive with PS4.

Phil Spencer also touched on this saying they offering contracts for the console like they do with the other Xbox models.

Expect a higher price with limited launch for both.If you don’t preorder then be prepared to either bid for crazy money on eBay or wait. Even Nintendo are currently struggling with production, so a new console will be worse.
I mean, the PS4 (2013) was only slightly more at launch than the PS2 (2000). The PS3 (2007) was more expensive.

The only Sony console that didn't sell really well at launch was the PS3 and guess what, they sold that for nearly $200 more than the PS4!

It could be as expensive as you suggest, and that would be a bad move by Sony.

Paxi

@Bojan11 you seemed to on top of news regarding gaming, have you heard if PS4 titles will be enhanced? I’d love to see what they can do with Red Dead Redemption 2 without that horrible checkerboard implementation. If Rockstar used VRS, it could potentially look absolutely stunning on consoles.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
@Bojan11 you seemed to on top of news regarding gaming, have you heard if PS4 titles will be enhanced? I’d love to see what they can do with Red Dead Redemption 2 without that horrible checkerboard implementation. If Rockstar used VRS, it could potentially look absolutely stunning on consoles.
At the moment it's not even confirmed how many PS4 titles will play on PS5. Sony said they want most of them playing but they didn't say when. They said that most of the top 100 games will play at launch IIRC.

On the topic of R*, GTAV on Xbox One X plays the same as the standard version. So don't expect them to bother updating RDR2

Paxi

At the moment it's not even confirmed how many PS4 titles will play on PS5. Sony said they want most of them playing but they didn't say when. They said that most of the top 100 games will play at launch IIRC.

On the topic of R*, GTAV on Xbox One X plays the same as the standard version. So don't expect them to bother updating RDR2
That’s what I’m wondering, I know the games will be backwards compatible but as to whether they will be enhanced is another story. I’ll be disappointed if they’re not.

Yeah, and it’s a joke that they’re only enhancing GTAV for the next gen consoles. They could have at least added better anti aliasing as it looked horrible on 4K sets

Paxi

Not really a true comparison though as they've had lots of new missions and things to do online.
Not everyone plays online though. Personally I like offline only in games like GTA and Red Dead.

redshaw

Xbox one was £430 including VAT with it $500 in US but the pound is lower now, and took a bump down after regaining with covid19. Right now with VAT on top it's £480 if $500 in US. Expecting the discless version to hit ~£430 or maybe they can stretch to £400 and £450 respectively but I doubt it.

Will be interesting to see how £400+ consoles do, especially with XSX gamepass. PS3 was about £420-430 and slowed a lot after the initial high launch sales. XBO at £430 had poor UK sales but there was an alternative in both cases like the 360 much cheaper than PS3 and better performing multiplats and PS4 was more powerful and cheaper after a huge misstep from Microsoft. I still think £400+ is a bit too steep to track with PS4 sales for 1-2 years and expect to see a major revision with much less power hungry chips and sleeker designs.

The early adopter wants the power generally but this is the result, large boxes with high power consumption trying to keep up there with PC. Should help in the long run but with the neat Switch showing the way and previous consoles smaller and one always in the £300 range these could be dragging in sales a little after high launches.

Last edited:

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Anyone here post on Resetera? What a bunch of sensitive souls those mods are. They ban you for nothing!

Siorac

From this very article you linked:

Game developers who’ve been creating titles for the next PlayStation anticipate its price to be in the region of $499 to $549
It's very, very, very unlikely to be $600 or more. Every single analyst excepts something around $500, with $549 being the highest I've seen, apart from your estimate.

That's still a massive (at least 25%) price increase over the PS4 launch. That makes sense as it indeed costs more to manufacture. But 50%? People call the $500 price "steep", "eye-watering" and such. $600 would be met with utter disbelief.

EDIT: That said, I'm not sure how UK prices are calculated. Maybe with VAT it will be much higher than a simple exchange from USD.

Coxy

Anyone here post on Resetera? What a bunch of sensitive souls those mods are. They ban you for nothing!
Yes. I’ve been banned before for something pathetic - I whinged about it and they reinstated me - no apology though

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm not going to be buying the next gen console until GTA 6 is out. There's still plenty of games like Persona V, Last of Us II, The FF VII remake parts and Witcher 3 to keep me occupied for a couple of years. None of the games showcased last night are must buys for me.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No chance. That clearly stated Horizon II

I always saw the Spiderman game as a short game spinoff similar to Uncharted: Lost Legacy and Infamous: First Light
Ah, but that II isn't Roman numerals - it's just a divider. Yes.... that's what it is....

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
There's so much mis-information in this thread, I can't be arsed quoting everyone but that VGC article which says Spider-Man is just a 'remaster' is click-bait. If you read the quotes, there is nothing to be found on that front.

You didn't play Infamous:First Light, Uncharted Lost Legacy and said, oh these games are only remasters, these are standalone DLCs leveraging the previous tech. Same thing is with Spider-Man Miles Morales, but the difference being, they are building it around PS5, the lighting and texture in itself is a dead giveaway that, it is running on updated engine. Wait for DF to do their analysis, Sonys' shitty 1080p stream didn't do a good job of highlighting the details in many of the trailers.

This is the type of stuff I was talking about. I don't blame the poster, sites like GiantBomb are still running with only 100 PS4 games will be BC. And, much of that is Sony messing up the messaging initially.

The PS5 SoC has 2 dedicated BC modes to mimic PS4 logic, one is legacy mode, the other is pro mode. So, the PS5, can disable 9WGP (18CUs), downlock to 800 MHz to mimic PS4, or downclock to 911MHz to mimic PS4 Pro. So, imagine, if you boot a game like Driveclub on PS5, a game which didn't get any Pro patch, the SoC will view the code like PS4 and disable 9WGP and downclock to 800MHz to run it as it ran on PS4, same for a game like Uncharted 4, it got a Pro patch, so, it'll downclock to 911MHz and play like it did on a Pro.

^It is different from boost mode, which is designed to leverage the PS5 clocks to boost the performance. This is what Cerny was talking about when he spoke of Top 100 game thing, that in order to leverage PS5 clocks, they have to evaluate the code on game-by-game basis, the code which can't run on those speeds would need to patched by the devs.

Therefore, when sites like GB are writing about BC and Top 100 games, what they are actually talking about is Enhanced BC. The basic BC is built in the SoC itself, as it can mimic the logic of predecessors. So, save for select few from thousands of PS4 games. Expect all of them to work on PS5, just don't expect all of them to leverage the PS5 clocks. That would require more work from Sony and devs.

Last edited: