Gaming PlayStation 5

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Yeah that's a lot better than i thought. My only concern is how much you'll hear button pressing.
ive not listened to it, but pretty sure noise cancelling can remove that out to a degree. Can utilise that from other Sony devices. Well you’d think anyway

Tiber

One innovation I would love to see on consoles is push to talk. Preferably via a button on the back of the controller or something similar. I never leave my mic open on PC

Bojan11

On a selfish standpoint, does anyone know if the England lockdown could have an impact on delivery of these things on day 1? If it does go ahead, I’m seeing everything will close other schools, unis, nurseries until 1 December 2020. However, I couldn’t find anything about work places. I preordered mine from Game.
The secondary, and most likely option is that they will shift physical in-store preorders to delivery, though there’s already going to be an almighty strain on the UK’s delivery services through that period to begin with, with even further issues brought on by a second lockdown. There’s very little chance that anyone with an in-store order will receive their console on day one, as the console pre-orders that were already in place for delivery will have all of the capacity booked up.

Combine that with the fact that the new consoles are huge and take up way more space than any previous generation, means fewer will fit on each van. It might be the case that you will receive it within a week, if you’re lucky. If it’s GAME, they’ve also started charging an extra £10 for delivery, so you might receive it, but it will cost you more.

The third, and worst option, is that you simply won’t be able to get your console until the lockdown lifts, most likely according to news sources on the 1st of December. A lockdown means lockdown, and game consoles aren’t particularly important in the scheme of things. The only option will be to pick one up in a supermarket, but as we’ve recently seen in Wales, non-essential items were removed from sale. They might receive their stock but not be allowed to sell it to you. Given that pre-orders for both consoles are sold outeverywhere, it looks impossible to move it a different retailer.

We’ve reached out to GAME, Smyths Toys and Argos for comment.
https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/1...s-xs-pre-orders-if-the-uk-goes-into-lockdown/

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Be similar to Ireland so. Storefronts closed, but the stores will revert to a delivery option instead. Majority will prob have the consoles at a central distribution point anyway.

Hoof the ball

I'm a 45 year old man and I'm actively counting down the days to launch like a 5 year old does when Christmas is getting closer.

Been gaming since I was about 8 years old. People said I'd grow out of it!
When you realise that your generation of gamers will be the first generation to reach 60 and 70 and still be active in the online/regularly gaming community. Soon enough, "grow out of it" will be a thing of the past when 3/4 of old men will still be playing.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
One innovation I would love to see on consoles is push to talk. Preferably via a button on the back of the controller or something similar. I never leave my mic open on PC
Yes! Especially with the mic on the controller.

Amarsdd

How likely is it to be in stock (Amazon, Gamestop, etc) around February March time?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Don't think this has been posted. Loading time for Miles Morales (8s from home to main menu, 2s from main menu to in game)
I'd like to see them open another game first, play that and then reopen Spider-Man. I'm not sure if it's clear if the assets were already in memory (or not)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They probably don't want to split psvr into two. Psvr is a niche product to begin with, PS5 VR would lead to

PS4 OGVR
PS5 OGVR
PS5 VR2

Until they launch their new VR headset don't expect dedicated PS5VR titles
Yeah that's fair and I can deal with it. Does take a bit of the gloss off though....

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They probably don't want to split psvr into two. Psvr is a niche product to begin with, PS5 VR would lead to

PS4 OGVR
PS5 OGVR
PS5 VR2

Until they launch their new VR headset don't expect dedicated PS5VR titles
This is exactly it.

They are currently developing PSVR 2, but there's not a standard yet so it's pointless having devs make PS5 games PSVR compatible. In the meantime, there will be PS4 games that still support it.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
It doesn’t even work with the new controller or new PS5 camera. I think Sony have forgotten a lot about their VR base after taking a lead with console VR in the first place.

rcoobc

It doesn’t even work with the new controller or new PS5 camera. I think Sony have forgotten a lot about their VR base after taking a lead with console VR in the first place.
They're getting ready to PSVR2. In some ways, the new controller is essentially as accurate as the first one was even without a camera

https://www.roadtovr.com/watch-ps5-dualsense-controller-imu-motion-tracking/

I don't think they've forgotten VR, but current VR is very much "PS4VR". There will be a new VR Headset for PS5.

Okay so in that regard, yes they've forgotten it

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
They're getting ready to PSVR2. In some ways, the new controller is essentially as accurate as the first one was even without a camera

https://www.roadtovr.com/watch-ps5-dualsense-controller-imu-motion-tracking/

I don't think they've forgotten VR, but current VR is very much "PS4VR". There will be a new VR Headset for PS5.

Okay so in that regard, yes they've forgotten it
Have they confirmed there'll be a VR Headset for the PS5? Even if you don't officially announce there's no reason Jim Ryan couldn't have referred to there being another headset planned / in development (just the same as how they'll openly acknowledge another console)

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What’s the point of the controller mic? Surely anything that will require communication would be better done with a headset on so you can actually hear what people are saying? Voice chat sounds horrible through the tv.

Opens up the possibility of wearing any set of cans I guess, but that seems a bit of a niche reason.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
What’s the point of the controller mic? Surely anything that will require communication would be better done with a headset on so you can actually hear what people are saying? Voice chat sounds horrible through the tv.

Opens up the possibility of wearing any set of cans I guess, but that seems a bit of a niche reason.
Sound comes out the controller too doesn't it? If did on the DS4 anyway

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Ah ok. How was that? Not even trying to be funny here, just can't see it working as well as a headset.
I only ever heard it used during games, sirens on GTA v, rustling of items in other games. I thought it worked brilliantly in that aspect, really underused I thought. Definitely could see it working as a speaker for voice chat aslong as the mic can tell which is your voice and which is the speaker sending someone else's.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I only ever heard it used during games, sirens on GTA v, rustling of items in other games. I thought it worked brilliantly in that aspect, really underused I thought. Definitely could see it working as a speaker for voice chat aslong as the mic can tell which is your voice and which is the speaker sending someone else's.
Didn't even think of that. It could have an unidirectional mic which might do the trick.

paulscholes18

Think I have to wait until 3rd December to get my PS5 as I said I will collect it in store.

Redlambs

Have they confirmed there'll be a VR Headset for the PS5? Even if you don't officially announce there's no reason Jim Ryan couldn't have referred to there being another headset planned / in development (just the same as how they'll openly acknowledge another console)
You mean in the same way they "openly acknowledge another console" at best only a couple of years before it's ready? Does it make sense to you to stop sales of the PSVR and games for it before they need to? This isn't like MS with Kinect where they just dumped a load of devs in the shit, there's a lot of PSVR games in development right now and the standard for the next one isn't in place. It's not ideal from them, at all, but it's better than washing their hands. Especially when the focus rightfully should be on the launch of a new machine first, not a peripheral at least 18 months away.

Anyway it seems a strange thing for the xbox fanboys to latch on to, especially since Sony are actually working on the next wave of VR. Jim Ryan's comments may be vague, but they fit right in line with the development time and make complete sense until the PS5 VR is ready. It would be nice if this was clarified a while ago though, no doubt, but considering we are in strange times (as you'll appreciate with how many games the Xbox has had pushed back both announced, and yet to be announced) I think we need to use our brains a little bit and read between the lines every now and then.

Redlambs

Didn't even think of that. It could have an unidirectional mic which might do the trick.
The Wii did it too, and it worked rather well when used. Stuff like mobile phones ringing, reloading guns, far away sirens, sword being drawn...it's another layer to the experience that is one of those things you don't get until you experience it. Not absolutely necessary, but a cool touch none the less.

Tiber

Of course a headset would be better, but a lot of people don't own one. Now those people (often more casual gamers) will be able to have some sort of option to join in team communication.

It's clearly not designed for those who own a £250 set of sennheiser headphones.

Alock1

You mean in the same way they "openly acknowledge another console" at best only a couple of years before it's ready? Does it make sense to you to stop sales of the PSVR and games for it before they need to? This isn't like MS with Kinect where they just dumped a load of devs in the shit, there's a lot of PSVR games in development right now and the standard for the next one isn't in place. It's not ideal from them, at all, but it's better than washing their hands. Especially when the focus rightfully should be on the launch of a new machine first, not a peripheral at least 18 months away.

Anyway it seems a strange thing for the xbox fanboys to latch on to, especially since Sony are actually working on the next wave of VR. Jim Ryan's comments may be vague, but they fit right in line with the development time and make complete sense until the PS5 VR is ready. It would be nice if this was clarified a while ago though, no doubt, but considering we are in strange times (as you'll appreciate with how many games the Xbox has had pushed back both announced, and yet to be announced) I think we need to use our brains a little bit and read between the lines every now and then.
Bit touchy I'm asking a question mate.

I've got a PS5 pre-ordered, it's a fair comment to ask if they've spoken about VR and to try to ascertain how much support and focus it'll get. My Vita was the biggest waste of money I've spent on gaming despite all its potential, so I'm curious to know where VR ranks on their priority list (for better or worse)

I don't know what Jim Ryan has said. That's my question. Is it confirmed even if not announced that a new headset is in development, because whilst I know it won't be announced yet (for the reasons you point out), often this stuff is loosely acknowledged ahead of time.

Alock1

The Wii did it too, and it worked rather well when used. Stuff like mobile phones ringing, reloading guns, far away sirens, sword being drawn...it's another layer to the experience that is one of those things you don't get until you experience it. Not absolutely necessary, but a cool touch none the less.
I think it's cool to have a mic. As someone who's gone through quite a lot of headsets, it'd be handy to know I could plug any pair of earphones in and then use the controller mic. It's a great fallback.

Personally not a fan of the speaker on the controller. It's annoying in most games so I turn it off. But it's a nice option to have for those who like it (better than not having it).

Ainu

I think the idea is to simply have 100% of the install base equipped for voice chat.

I've got a PS5 pre-ordered, it's a fair comment to ask if they've spoken about VR and to try to ascertain how much support and focus it'll get. My Vita was the biggest waste of money I've spent on gaming despite all its potential, so I'm curious to know where VR ranks on their priority list (for better or worse)

I don't know what Jim Ryan has said. That's my question. Is it confirmed even if not announced that a new headset is in development, because whilst I know it won't be announced yet (for the reasons you point out), often this stuff is loosely acknowledged ahead of time.
Hardware that's still more than a year or two away never gets confirmed as in the works. They'll let us know when it's close, but we shouldn't expect it any time soon.

rcoobc

I think the idea is to simply have 100% of the install base equipped for voice chat.
Certainly allows developers to do a bit more with voice commands if they know everyone has got the ability.

It would be cool if in RPGs instead of selecting one of the 4 dialogue options you could actually speak the dialogue. That would add another level of immersion, would be quite simple to do, (voice is recorded sent to server, transcribed into text, compared with the preset options and if a close match found, that is chosen). And there is no reason they wouldn't add that to Xbox too for those with mics.

Or just normal stuff like telling your NPC squad to "hang back", "guard the area", "shoot on sight", etc.

b82REZ

With the lockdown being announced, does anyone know how that affects the Post Office for deliveries?

I got my PS5 delivered to the Post Office near my work, but now I'm worried the delivery won't happen. Did Post Offices shut during the last lockdown?

rcoobc

With the lockdown being announced, does anyone know how that affects the Post Office for deliveries?

I got my PS5 delivered to the Post Office near my work, but now I'm worried the delivery won't happen. Did Post Offices shut during the last lockdown?
Many remained open

Redlambs

Yeah, that came across a bit more argumentative than I meant mate! To be fair I was up all night drinking and playing Phasmophobia with my boys as a makeshift Halloween (I highly recommend that game BTW!) :lol:

I think it's more a case of them still developing a direction for the next VR. Support is in the PS5 sdk/api but nothing is set in stone hence why they've told developers not to push on with it.

Also, as we've seen, they've not handled things brilliantly this time around with information.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, that came across a bit more argumentative than I meant mate! To be fair I was up all night drinking and playing Phasmophobia with my boys as a makeshift Halloween (I highly recommend that game BTW!) :lol:

I think it's more a case of them still developing a direction for the next VR. Support is in the PS5 sdk/api but nothing is set in stone hence why they've told developers not to push on with it.

Also, as we've seen, they've not handled things brilliantly this time around with information.
Cheers lambs some relatively positive info re PSVR.