g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming PlayStation 5

Bojan11

Saw that earlier.

It’s just GAME employee spouting nonsense. If you asked them if the digital version could play disks they’d probably say yes.

These millions of consoles will be sitting in a warehouse if they do that and there will no space to manufacture new ones, so they’d just have money sitting there being wasted. They will definitely deliver to the retailers. If the X can do it then Sony can. It’s just how the postal service holds up.

Bojan11

Nu-hah!

What good 2-player games do you know of for this thing then?
Sackboy is 4 player local coop according to cooptimus, but can’t find any info on the game page. Dirt 5 has split screen coop and I think Cold War does. Then you have the normal sports games like FIFA and NBA.

That’s about it. There are other games with coop like Godfall and Demon’s soul, but they all online coop only. There’s a Lego game out next year, which should have split screen.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sackboy is 4 player local coop according to cooptimus, but can’t find any info on the game page. Dirt 5 has split screen coop and I think Cold War does. Then you have the normal sports games like FIFA and NBA.

That’s about it. There are other games with coop like Godfall and Demon’s soul, but they all online coop only. There’s a Lego game out next year, which should have split screen.
Ah balls! That's shite! Can't offer the OH sports or Cold War, ffs! :lol:

What the hell are they playing at? Usually some silly party games etc. for casuals to play aren't there?

Bojan11

Ah balls! That's shite! Can't offer the OH sports or Cold War, ffs! :lol:

What the hell are they playing at? Usually some silly party games etc. for casuals to play aren't there?
I think that Astro playroom game that comes with it is some sort of party game. @esmufc07 should know, I haven’t watched any of it.

Bojan11

Ahhh they must have not been fully informed when I spoke to them then which is annoying. Hopefully they sort it out before Thursday!
GAME stores are now tweeting you can pay after 1pm for your PS5.

b82REZ

Just had a heart attack.

Received a message from Very saying my order was delayed and no confirmed delivery date. I immediately assumed my PS5 had been delayed but thankfully it was the Cyberpunk order I placed with the console.

I'm still shitting it that the Post Office won't be open on the 19th.

Hoof the ball

I played the long game.

Didn't get a PS4 Pro and avoided playing TLOU2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn so that when the console is released I can slide right into those two sweet ass games whilst the PSN gets up to scratch!

Tiber

PS+ has 45.9 million current subscribers. that seems.... a lot

Smores

I played the long game.

Didn't get a PS4 Pro and avoided playing TLOU2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn so that when the console is released I can slide right into those two sweet ass games whilst the PSN gets up to scratch!
Done the same but with TLOU2 and God of War.

Although in reality I'll end up playing Demon Souls and then Cyberpunk first.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Cerny interview in Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/video-games/ps-5-release-games-features/

“So much of design today has to do with data management. Situations where literally — I’m not making these kinds of stories up — literally, the creative director will say, let’s put the entrance to the secret lair here. And the lead programmer will say, ‘It won’t fit in memory,’ or ‘okay, we’ll need a 30 second load screen that’ll kill the momentum of the gameplay,’ or ‘How do you feel about a long elevator ride down to the lair?’” says Cerny.

If you’ve played a modern video game, you’ve likely been bamboozled by a game developer, if for your own good. In “Destiny,” for example, long corridors and winding canyons across nominally open worlds are functionally loading screens, separating distinct arenas which load in based on which direction you’re traveling. If you’ve taken an interminable elevator ride in a game, you’ve experienced a game trying to cleverly hide what it’s doing under the hood: loading you into a new stage. Cerny himself has called out “euphemistically named ’fast travel.’” These are often clever and technically impressive tricks. But they also take time to implement, and require developers to puzzle over how to bend restrictive hardware into a shape that approximates the game maker’s ambition. That’s time and brainpower not spent thinking about the game itself.

“When we tell the world we put an SSD in the hardware, that’s interesting, but that’s interesting for about a month. What makes it work is that the games are picking up the SSD and using it in various ways,” said Cerny. “Ultimately, it isn’t the hardware that you put in the console. It’s what the games are doing.”
There’s a pecking order within the game teams. The graphics folks get the lion’s share of the hardware resources and the audio team has to struggle to get much anything at all,” says Cerny. Once, while briefing a developer on the PS5′s high performance audio processor, he says was told, “Great, we’ll use that unit for AI.” During one of his studio tours, Cerny recalled meeting 120 workers — none of whom worked in audio.

“The audio side is now more of a full team blending a wide range of expertise, including level and enemy design,” said Harry Krueger, game director on “Returnal,” a third person shooter about a space pilot stuck in a time loop. It’s also a horror game, where audio really matters in creating the proper tension for players. “Each sound source is recorded in relation to how a real person would hear the sound actually coming from each direction. … It’s similar to the way we have always done things, but now we simply record things many times from many directions, apply more nuanced layers, and then of course spend even more time tweaking things in the final product.”

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don’t like the words ‘up to’.
Legal reasons. There'll always be someone wanting to sue if there's a single frame drop. Here's a case that happened with resolution.

I gave up on Days Gone after the mission where you have to find your drunk friend. Without doubt, the worst mission I've played in a game.
I've never played it. Looking at playing it on the PS+ Collection, heard decent things about it on the whole.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Legal reasons. There'll always be someone wanting to sue if there's a single frame drop. Here's a case that happened with resolution.

I've never played it. Looking at playing it on the PS+ Collection, heard decent things about it on the whole.
Same here, absolutely loving this ps plus collection playing games I never got around to on the PS4 at a higher frame rate! Cracking stuff.