Gaming PlayStation 5

DavelinaJolie

I get the feeling most people don't understand this wasn't a reveal it was essentially their gdc talk that got cancelled.

All terraflops alone count for nothing... the consoles will live and die based on games like last time. Majority of people won't be able to even see any graphical differences just like ps4 and xb1.
When the PS4 launched it had naff all games. Microsoft had shite messaging about requiring online connectivity/second hand games, requiring kinect, multimedia use and all that jazz.

It's going to come down largely to price, but I'd also expect a number of people will be led by their existing ecosystem investments. If you've got a bunch digital games you purchased/online membership, and could carry them forward, that's a serious consideration. If you and your friends play on one system that's a factor. Even if Xbox blows the doors off, I'd expect PS to continue strong.

At present I think ps5 is going to undercut price by at least £50. For me, thanks to Microsoft rewards, I likely have at least £250 off the new Xbox, that's a massive factor for me.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Expect Xbox to be £550 and PS5 to be £450. That SSD on the PS5 isn’t going to be cheap and I would be very surprised if it’s in the £350 mark like PS4 was.
Are you getting both?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Most likely even though I have a gaming PC that’s probably better than both but can’t help myself when it comes to shiny new stuff.
I'm exactly the same. Going to get lg cx 48 inch as well.

Bojan11

The BC part is so confusing. Wish Sony will clear up.

If it is the first part then a simple all your PS4 games will be BC and we will also boost the performance of the top 100 games or so at launch.

Ainu

If it is the first part then a simple all your PS4 games will be BC and we will also boost the performance of the top 100 games or so at launch.
Nah it doesn't sound like the first part, don't know where that guy gets it from. To me it sounds more like only the "top 100" games (whatever they are) are guaranteed to work without issues at launch, but that doesn't necessarily mean the other games don't work at all at launch. Perhaps you can still play them but risk running into issues or something. Some more clarity wouldn't hurt here in any case. I'd also like to know if unpatched games will benefit from the better hardware in any way, like they do on Series X.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Microsoft would surely be shooting themselves in the foot again if they had a higher price tag by €70-100. It's the number one factor for most console gamers.

Bojan11

Microsoft would surely be shooting themselves in the foot again if they had a higher price tag by €70-100. It's the number one factor for most console gamers.
MS don’t really care about how many they sell. Obviously they want to make it competitive but for them it’s getting you on their services whether that’s PC or console.

Sony are aiming for the more casual market and MS are aiming for people who want a bit more power in their console.

Last time was also different. They had bad press over the used game scenario, forced Kinect and underpowered console compared to PS4. They have done the total opposite so far. It would be understandable now if they launch with a higher price point. Last time they could not justify doesn’t matter how many Kinect they had in the box. Now it’s all about what games they got to show, which they should show shortly @Art Vandelay

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Wanking over spec lists makes no sense, PS5 is still going to have comfortably more and better exclusives than Xbox. I have both a XB One and PS4, while I prefer the XB One, I'll end up buying a PS5 before I buy a Series X for the exclusives alone.

You can buy a gaming PC which is damn expensive to begin with and then you have to wait until the PC version gets released for games.

AaronRedDevil

I was always getting the Playstation anyway. I prefer games over graphics any day. It's just too many great games coming. My xbox one is a glorified DVD player. And the only game I'm interested in is Hellblade. The next one looks awesome.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Wanking over spec lists makes no sense, PS5 is still going to have comfortably more and better exclusives than Xbox. I have both a XB One and PS4, while I prefer the XB One, I'll end up buying a PS5 before I buy a Series X for the exclusives alone.

You can buy a gaming PC which is damn expensive to begin with and then you have to wait until the PC version gets released for games.
Every Xbox exclusive will be on my pc anyway. Buying a PS5 is pretty much a given for me

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Kind of sounds like they’ll have enough black magic feckery to parade in front of people’s eyes that the difference in tetrisflops* with the X won‘t be a dealbreaker and it’ll come down to price and exclusives again.

*TM

Ainu

It's clear they're going all-in on getting data where it needs to be as fast as possible, even more so than pushing graphical power. They're not just slapping a high-speed SSD in there, the entire architecture seems to be buiilt around that. I think it's an interesting shift and a badly needed one. I'd say it could have a far greater impact on how we play games than pure processing power. I guess the concern here is price and how many titles are truly going to get everything out of it, to the extent that it has implications down to the level design. First party titles, sure, but others perhaps to a lesser extent.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The SSD in this machine sounds extremely impressive. Taking the loading times down to something like a second sounds very appealing. This also opens up possibilities for developers. Probably won’t have to take long elevator rides anymore while you wait for the next area to load! Obviously it’s more than that, and could change how games and worlds are designed. There’s also other possibilities, too. The main one being no more patches that take an age to copy an install. It’s worth it for that alone.

The audio also sounds very interesting. The immersion will be pretty incredible if games can take full advantage of it; particularly if you're using headphones. From what i’ve read the audio that Sony are going to implement will work for standard TV speakers, but it's something that will require a bit more tweaking throughout the years to hit the sweet spot. Obviously headphones will work much better, at least initially. Sounds exciting, nonetheless.

Overall it sounds like a very impressive machine, and i think they’re also looking to come in a bit cheaper than the Xbox. Obviously this all means nothing without the games, but if there’s one thing you can count on Sony getting right it’s the software.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

This, Nintendo never have high specs but they make good games. Sony has a lot of exclusives also.

All this focus on specs takes away from actual fun.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wouldn’t worry too much about the power difference between the two consoles, developers will be incentivised to develop cross platform games to run fairly equally and by the time they have the ability to push the limits of each platform, they will be releasing the pro versions anyway.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!
TLDR: Most will be playable but they're going through games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues. Performances will be boosted.

So now hopefully people like this can fix their articles.

Skills

Snitch
I think the ps5 will have a better library of games by the end, but I microsoft have put a very competitive reason to buy an Xbox too.

I'm tempting to start the next gen on Xbox and then get a PS5 a bit later on. Also as I didn't get an Xbox this generation and it being fully BC, it will also give me a chance to play some of the Xbox exclusives from current gen while the games libraries catch up.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
PS5 for me, the games will be better and you will hardly notice the difference even if it’s slightly less powerful than the Xbox. Plus, if you have a decent PC you will get to play most of the Xbox exclusives in better graphics too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Do it, ya bastards.

Imagine MGS 1,2 & 3 getting the RE 2 & 3 remake treatment? I'm hard just thinking about it.
It would be amazing, plus if they take it off Konami maybe Sony can bring Kojima back to make some more MGS games.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Do it, ya bastards.

Imagine MGS 1,2 & 3 getting the RE 2 & 3 remake treatment? I'm hard just thinking about it.
Remaking 1 would be interesting. The gaming mechanics would have to be completely modernized, sort of like FF7.

But the Resident Evil remakes have gone well so far, so maybe it would be smashing (like I pray FF7 will be).

arthurka

The speed of the PS5 will be better than XB, teraflops 12 or 10 won't make any difference in reality. PS5 will have better games at start a lower price point and 360 sound is pretty cool. But for me the PS has always had a better build than the XB original ps1 works my ps2 works same with my 3 and 4 all work after years of heavy use. Have had 3 XB's over the years that have all had their problems. Like their controllers better though.

Castia

The speed of the PS5 will be better than XB, teraflops 12 or 10 won't make any difference in reality. PS5 will have better games at start a lower price point and 360 sound is pretty cool. But for me the PS has always had a better build than the XB original ps1 works my ps2 works same with my 3 and 4 all work after years of heavy use. Have had 3 XB's over the years that have all had their problems. Like their controllers better though.
Faster in terms of load times sure but Xbox has a better graphics card and processor so performance wise just like the X being faster than the pro they should still have an advantage. Xbox are also using an ssd than looks crazy fast on the latest preview, they were switching between 5 games in just a few seconds.

arthurka

Faster in terms of load times sure but Xbox has a better graphics card and processor so performance wise just like the X being faster than the pro they should still have an advantage. Xbox are also using an ssd than looks crazy fast on the latest preview, they were switching between 5 games in just a few seconds.
Yes but again the graphics won't really tell all the story and the difference won't be much. Sony has variable clocking on their GPU which can run faster than the xbox.The loading time on the PS5 is 2x faster than on the xbox and that will matter more than a narrow margins on the graphic side. The price will be lower and PS5 will have better exclusives games to start. Sony will win this again but not by as much as previous generations did.

Castia

Yes but again the graphics won't really tell all the story and the difference won't be much. Sony has variable clocking on their GPU which can run faster than the xbox.The loading time on the PS5 is 2x faster than on the xbox and that will matter more than a narrow margins on the graphic side. The price will be lower and PS5 will have better exclusives games to start. Sony will win this again but not by as much as previous generations did.
Sony will win yeah, the price point to performance will probably be spot on and as always Sony have great exclusive games. I’ve been a Sony guy since the first PlayStation but I’ve got a soft spot for Microsoft I feel they’ve done an incredible job over the past 2 years.

I got my first Xbox with the One X when Red Dead 2 launched and was instantly blown away. Since then I’ve used it much more than my PS mainly due to gamepass.

It will be a interesting gen this, I expect Sony to sell more consoles and probably have the better exclusives but Microsoft have a load of games in development after their recent studio acquisitions, along with gamepass their new streaming system and the possibility of most multi plays running better it’s a genuine alternative to PlayStation imo.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Actually make some good local co-op games this gen, ffs. Please.

arthurka

Sony will win yeah, the price point to performance will probably be spot on and as always Sony have great exclusive games. I’ve been a Sony guy since the first PlayStation but I’ve got a soft spot for Microsoft I feel they’ve done an incredible job over the past 2 years.

I got my first Xbox with the One X when Red Dead 2 launched and was instantly blown away. Since then I’ve used it much more than my PS mainly due to gamepass.

It will be a interesting gen this, I expect Sony to sell more consoles and probably have the better exclusives but Microsoft have a load of games in development after their recent studio acquisitions, along with gamepass their new streaming system and the possibility of most multi plays running better it’s a genuine alternative to PlayStation imo.
I agree think MS have done this very well lately and will be much closer this time. But again Sony seem to have got it spot on and with a lower price point and great exclusives they will again do very very well ..